Today, the Death Company killed...

Xenith

Last night I played a 2k game. I brought Mefiston, a 5 man DC w/ DC dread in a stormraven, another 5 DC including lemartes deepstriking, 10 tacs in a crusader, a dual autocannon dread, 5 sternguard, and a sanguinary priest.

My opponent was running dark angels, an imperial knights detachment, and a space wolves detachment. I won't list all his troops but his knights detachment was an imperial knight paladin...and his 2k army still looked twice the size of mine.

The death company killed..

lets start with the dread..he had blood talons and started out by chewing through 10 grey hunters. Then he took out 3 thunderwolf cavalry. By this point he had 1 hull point left but still managed to immobilize a predator tank before finally being downed.

Next we'll go with the 5 DC that arrived with the dread.

They killed Murderfang, the space wolf dreadnought. A 5 man sniper squad, and finally 3 thunderwolf cavalry with some named character that was pretty tough on one. Then fell to shots from the knight.

Finally the 4 DC and Lemartes.

They lost 2 members to interceptor shots from the knight before they touched down on a bridge. They shot down 4 snipers from the bridge and then charged head first into a Contemptor Dreadnought. They took it down unscathed. During this same turn things were looking a bit rough as the knight had just wiped out my 10 tacticals with blast templates, finished off the DC dread, and finally charged Mefiston. Mefiston was able to inflict 2 wounds on the knight but took many more and was smashed to bits. The knight was down to 4 hull points.

Lemartes and the 2 DC were in the depths of the black rage and decided it was their time to die. They charged the monsterous knight paladin and hit it so hard that they removed all its hull points and the knight exploded..taking lemartes and the death company with it on its way out.

The game looked hopeless early on..looking across the field at an army similar in size but with a monsterous knight. Then realizing he still had a bunch of units in reserve. But the death company made all the difference. None survived, as it's meant to be. But in the end I won the game. Defeating an army that was undefeated up to that point in our little gaming community.

Edited by Robdukes

Last game I had 10 Bolter DC stepping out of a drop pod, blasting away at some Eldar guardians. Dropped one guardian. 2 DC survived the shuriken storm that came their way. They managed to stand firm and shoot the guardians the following turn, one guardian dead again. Assaulting then, one DC dead by overwatch, the other died by the hands of a lousy guardian.

So... today the Death Company killed two Eldar guardians. I lost that game.

Judaz, that sounds statistically improbable! Were the guardians in a ruin with conceal?

Robdukes: Very impressive, did Lemartes take a wound to get up to S8 on the charge to kill the knight?

Hate to say, but unless you were playing unbound, your army list was illegal, as you can only take 1 unit of death company unless you take Astorath. I'll still chalk up the kills, though. I think you get the big game hunter award for the knight!

Edited by Xenith

Hate to say, but unless you were playing unbound, your army list was illegal, as you can only take 1 unit of death company unless you take Astorath. I'll still chalk up the kills, though. I think you get the big game hunter award for the knight!

I'm not even sure this works unbound. Codex (only one DC unit without Astorath) trumps rulebook (take any model you like in an unbound army)

It was unbound. Since we were playing until one army was completely destroyed, there was no point in most of the warlord traits. I was playing it as two seperate blood angels chapters working together to down this 3 army alliance he was playing. But thinking about it now Quixus seems right in that codex would trump new rules.

Lemartes did not take a wound to down the knight. Some very good rolls did exactly 4 wounds to the knight to explode it.

My first ever game of 40k i had 5DC with JP and Lemartes and wiped out my friends Khorne Beserker squad and 3 Terminators before he made any damage. I eventually wiped out his Termies to with Lemartes and 1 lonely DC with TH left, he was highly annoyed lol

Judaz, that sounds statistically improbable! Were the guardians in a ruin with conceal?

They were actually behind an Aegis defense line, don't remember if they had conceal or not. But the rolls were...special.

They were actually behind an Aegis defense line, don't remember if they had conceal or not. But the rolls were...special.

Yea, that would do it. They get a 2+ cover behind the aegis, meaning 1 dead guardian from 6 wounds, from 9 hits from 14 shots etc.

Out of interest. They were in a pod. Why come down on the wrong side of the aegis?

Yea, that would do it. They get a 2+ cover behind the aegis, meaning 1 dead guardian from 6 wounds, from 9 hits from 14 shots etc.

Out of interest. They were in a pod. Why come down on the wrong side of the aegis?

Probably scatter. Damn scatter.

"You see that vast expanse of nothingness, kiddo? Yep, well, that used to be the World Mountain. Until one day Lemartes got confused and thought he saw Horus's face in a rock formation. Astorath had to play along, lest Lemartes get upset, and let's just say, it didnt end well for the mountain."

• 1 month later...
My last game, my DC took out an opposing DC then killed the scouts holding the last objective. Afternthat they just sat on the objective while terminators came to avenge the scouts. But Dante and the SG killed the terminateos before.the DC got the chance.

Today my DC killed...0

It was a doubles game, 2000 points each side, Blood Angels & Space Wolves vs Necrons & Imperial Guard.

The DC was 10 guys with jump packs + 2 power fists.

They were shot 1st turn by 2 battle cannons and 8 were killed despite cover saves.

The surviving 2 rushed forward and engaged 4 Necron Destroyers.

Even though they lost one more guy in CC they held the destroyers for 5 turns.

Long story short, even though the game ended with me having nothing else but that lone DC trooper, we won. :P

Edited by vahouth

Last game my DC killed maybe 2 necron immortals.

Dante and a libby were with them and they got cover save denied by pathfinders, then riptided.

I've learned that lesson. First game in months and I messed up my spacing.

The librarian, however, killed Imhotek in one round of combat (win).

Edited by Xenith

We forged hella narrative my last game. This one death company bastard with a power fist was the last survivor of his squad after they murdered a toxicrene, then fought his way through a squad of psychic-bugs-what-end-in-"thrope" and a squad of tyranid warriors to climb up onto a wall and look down at the helmetless captain and his terminator bodyguard surrounded by an enormous horde of 'gaunts.

With a cry of "Sanguinius, my liege, I come!" he leapt into the air and jump pack stage dived directly into the middle of the 'gaunt pack. Both my opponent and I were sure he was done for, because he was literally surrounded by 'gaunts on ever side, with an incredible number of attacks targeted at him...

And he lived! Not only did he slaughter more than his share of 'gaunts, but he survived doing it at Initiatve 1!

It's a bittersweet victory for a marine who is certainly destined for either the headsman's axe or stasis and death in a future battle... but he certainly earned his place in the rolls of honor kept by the Knights of Blood, an Astartes whose glory in life is surpassed only by his glory in death!

My first use of DC in 7th was suitably close combat filled.

Baal Strike force - minimum sniper scouts and one JP DC squad (8 with 2 Fist and one Sword), 1 8 man bolter DC squad in Pod plus two more pods one for Furioso Libby and one for Suicide melta squad.

Playing against CSM, with baledrake, oblits and several large squads of Cultists one with a Lord and Black Mace DP.

We had other stuff too (1750)

DC in pod came in first turn with the suicide pod and with the help of one of the sniper squads who rended one wound put down the DP - huzzah, the DC did two of the wounds with bolter fire - I was lucky though my opponent had left just enough space to drop my pods but any scatter of more than an inch or two and I'd have misshaped - two direct hits :)

The rest of the game saw the JP squad brutally murder cultists ( about 20 died in one round - they were so bunched up!) although the lord did manage to put down five of them before he was squashed by powerfists and the rest of his squad was overrun. The bale drake burned the rest of the JP squad but they had already gone on to beat a rhino to death and shooting mauled the other squad in turns one and two but that just gave the rest of troops time to close and destroy everything else. The Furioso Libby did well too killing two Oblits in CC despite taking a melta to the face in overwatch which didn't pen!  It was a really short and brutal game which I won fairly comfortably mostly due to the Daemon Prince sized hole in his plan at the end of turn one.

Good times.

I was lucky though my opponent had left just enough space to drop my pods but any scatter of more than an inch or two and I'd have misshaped - two direct hits :smile.:

How do you play the Pod's Inertial Guidance rule?

I was lucky though my opponent had left just enough space to drop my pods but any scatter of more than an inch or two and I'd have misshaped - two direct hits :smile.:

How do you play the Pod's Inertial Guidance rule?

He doesn't apparently :wink:

Well it was a bit more complicated although there is the possibility I could've gone wrong anyway. Imagine two spaces about the size of drop pods left in a mass of bodies.  A direct hit is easy you land everyone gets out and are still one inch away from the closest model - this is what happened and I was lucky to be able to squeeze everyone in - 32mm bases and I might not have!

I  thought (if you scatter a few inches for example) you'd have to move into a space that was closest and that the pod would have fitted on - this could've happened if the pod moved back towards their table edge but I wouldn't have had room to deploy as opposed to moving for example towards the middle where there would have been room to deploy but it was further for the pod to deviate. - which I would have assumed meant bad things!  I may be wrong, your input is welcome :smile.:

Edited by Phadeout