Ogres, Trolls and Giants. Oh my!

Frater Cornelius

Everyone and their dog knows that I love Fantasy. I am talking about the setting, of cause. And with that comes my love for Warhammer Fantasy miniatures.

Thus I want to make my SW force even MOAR FANTASY. So much fantasy that even the biggest nerd collapses ... when looking at it.

I am specifically talking about non-human models like Troll, Ogres, Giants and whatever else you find when browsing Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen and Ogre Kingdoms.

I want to collect ideas about what units in 40k can be represented by fantasy models. Even if it is the single most outlandish idea since Nicola Tesla's Death Ray, I want to hear it.

Here is a bit of an idea how far I am willing to go. Check out these Eldar conversions: http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?19081-Eldar-Exodite-converted-army

THAT far and beyond.

Let me put forward the first idea: Use Dragon Ogres as mounted Iron Priests msn-wink.gif

Your turn!

Ask yourself the following question: are you willing to go unbound? If so that opens up huge swaths of creative options.

At the very least, ogres as ogryns.

Other possible options include giants as dreads or even a single cannon tank, eg. vindicator or leman russ(imagine them yoked and hurling explosive shells).

Basically any of the beasts could be used as fenrisian wolves.

Humans and similar sized models make great guardsmen/scions/cultists/lotd (or any number of foul xenos equivalents, for example orks are easy. and ghouls make decent zombies/wracks.)

Dragons could be used as various flyers.

Carts and carriages could be used as transports or tanks and chariots. A rhinox might fit in well as a vindicator or a rhino.

Theres some really lovely conversions in there, thanks for posting!

A few people are using Glottkin as Nurgle CSM right now, and ive had a go at using Ogres as Ogryn. I think ill try for dome chaos ones. Wish I had a few more ideas for you.

And you cant have fun and be afraid some one will refuse to play your army. You have to give up one or the other I think.

I play against all proxy lists plenty, as long as every thing is clearly pointed out at the beginning, and everything that looks the same represents the same thing, it isn't that hard to play against. Whether or not someone will play against you is another matter. Try to keep similar silhouettes to the proxied models and I imagine most people won't be too upset outside of tournaments. If you are only going to play friendly games with them, I wouldn't think you would have too much trouble.

Slightly different angle to what you're asking but something that immediately came to mind reading your thread.... Doing a force of native Fenrisian's to fight alongside your Wolves (!), when reading William Kings original Woles novel, describing the forces of tribesmen, trolls, giants, wolves, bears etc all native to Fenris, you could make up a scenario of a large threat facing the world and it's inhabitants joining together, Wolves fighting with tribesmen and their bestiary.

Obviously could use marauders as tribesmen, without the chaos undivided markings, trolls, giants etc you could give a frosty deathworld feel. etc

Rules wise im totatlly clueless sitting here now which force organisation could best represent something like that though..

sorry just had to get that off my chestlaugh.png

Slightly off topic. Saw that eldar army at WHW this year, think it was Battle Brothers weekend,  looks amazing laid out on the battlefield.  Nice bloke too, no probs about letting a total stranger pick up and examine the minis. 

Archived