Narrative Campaign: Blood Angels vs. Eldar

ElectricPaladin

Well, I knew that my Ork opponent was going to be hard to get ahold of, but tonight he just no-showed. I am sympathetic - I was a flake once, too - but my time is limited, so I'm going to let this go and start something with my friendly local Eldar player instead. There will certainly be a power differential - at least until our new codex comes out, and quite possibly thereafter - so I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Any advice? We're going to be starting out with a 750 Zone Mortalis game, but after that, who knows? Cities of Death, Planetstrike, Fighter Aces, Spearpoint... the sky's the limit!

Because I'm the only one who has a BFG fleet.

So we can't go.

You know.

Beyond the sky.

I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress. And give me some advice. biggrin.png

Small points game with no wave serpents/limited access for them due to terrain? - Load up on assault troops, where Eldar really tend to suffer against any marines. Possibly supported by a small sternguard squad just to take care of anything you dont want to tackle in CC. Watch out for wraithguard though.

Librarian dreads can be fun... nova powers anyone? biggrin.png

But I think that a fragioso with flamer and grapple is the best use of points here.

Well, we'll see if I can get mine stripped... I don't know what the censored.gif its last owner coated it in. Some kind of enamel, I think. It's incredibly resilient!

How's this as a list?

HQ

• Librarian w/Jump Pack, Psyker Lvl 2

Elites

• Furioso Dreadnought w/Heavy Flamer & Frag Cannon

• 1 Sanguinary Priest w/Jump Pack

Troops

• 10 Assault Marines w/Jump Packs, Sergeant w/Hand Flamer & Power Weapon, 2 Marines w/Flamers

• 10 Scouts w/Camo Cloaks & Sniper Rifles

The Zone Mortalis detachment is actually quite different - for one thing, you only get two Elites - but I've got some decent assault troops, some fire support, and a decent number of templates.

How about some deathcompany instead?

You get a whole bucket of USRs not tied to a specific model. Sniper scouts seem like an odd choice for ZM.

I've been trying to avoid death company because I don't have any death company models without jump packs and I don't want to pay for the jump packs when I'm only going to use them to leap into combat... mellow.png

I see your point about the snipers, though. I'm torn on them myself. I was thinking "Objective Secured + Infiltrate + Move Through Cover"... though perhaps that's not as useful when the board is a maze. Again, it's a model issue. If I had bolter scouts, I'd use them instead.

Hm... looks like I should go back to the drawing board.

So, I'm really feeling the 2 Elites slots thing from Zone Mortalis. I want three things in my list: some kind of hard-hitting infantry (sternguard, or maybe terminators teleporting in off a tac sergeant's teleport homer), sanguinary priests to give everyone FNP and 2+ to-wound on that vital first round of combat with Eldar, and a fragioso or double flamer contemptor furioso (flamioso?)... but I can only have two of those. Urgh.

Here's another draft.

Again, I'm limited by what I own... but I think this might be neat and not too likely to lose too hard. Also, I crammed in an Inquisitor, which is always great fun! This list additionally has the advantage of giving me an excuse to finish and then paint up my Fantasy warpriest-to-power-armor-wearing-Inquisitor kit-bash and my Haradrim warrior to cybernetic crusader kit-bash, both of which I'm quite proud of.

HQ

• Librarian w/Psyker lvl 2, Terminator Armor (Storm Shield)

Elites

• 5 Assault Terminators w/Thunder Hammers

• 1 Sanguinary Priest w/Bolt Pistol, Boltgun

Troops

• 10 Tactical Marines, Sergeant w/Combi-Plasma & Teleport Homer, 1 Flamer, 1 Heavy Bolter

HQ

• Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/Power Armor, Daemonblade

Elites

• 4 Acolytes w/Carapace Armor and Hotshot Lasguns, 1 Crusader

I'm even tempted to bring tactical terminators (which I have, thanks to Space Hulk). That would save me enough points that I could conceivably make my Inquisitor a psyker as well, which could be fun...

I'm curious to hear opinions...

Said tactical terminator version of the list would work like this:

HQ

• Librarian w/Terminator Armor (Storm Bolter)

Elites

• 5 Terminators, 1 Heavy Flamer, 1 Chainfist

• 1 Sanguinary Priest w/Boltgun

Troops

• 10 Tactical Marines, Sergeant w/Combi-Plasma & Teleport Homer

HQ

• Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/Daemonblade, Power Armor, Psyker Lvl 1

• 4 Acolytes w/Carapace Armor, Hotshot Lasguns, 1 Crusader

I actually kind of like this list. You know, hotshot lasguns aren't half bad against Eldar. Their main weakness (low Strength) is mitigated by the Eldar's low toughness, and AP 3 will cut right through their armor. I've got a bunch of high Strength attacks from the terminators, and because they've got a flamer they can also burn the enemy out of cover. It's not a fragioso, but it'll do. I've got a surprisingly nice number of warp charges, which will be entertaining. Maybe even enough to win in the psychic phase.

I'm really surprised that no one has commented... I'd think that any attempt to actually use tactical terminators would be met with cries of "heresy!"

But I'm looking forward to it. I've never actually used Deep Strike with terminators before - it's always been land raiders and storm ravens for me - so this should be fun.

I got to play this list last night, against Space Wolves instead of Eldar. It was still pretty brutal for my opponent. Hot shot lasguns make a great second-line unit, following up behind a screen of something else to make sure they can't be assaulted. My inquisitor rolled some awesome daemon powers, but never got into combat.

Archived