Ideas on how to beat an Ork armoured rush?

Thunder Raven

Hey guys

My regular opponent is a shrewd and very capable ork player. (he's also a good mate and fun to play against). His tactic involves loading most of his army into transports and rushing my lines with a :cuss tonne of boyz. Warhammer 40k is quite clearly Tank hammer 40k these days so its not so simple as to pop all the transports and then take his army apart piece by piece. admittedly playing him at his own game works but I've always been a fan of using infantry and tanks together not just tanking it out with my opponent. 

Ideas appreciated

Cheers

The answer is always Acheron Knight.

But really, Thunderfire Cannon, Hellhounds, Wyverns, Nemesis Dreadknights, Helldrake, could work - it really depends on the details.

dreadnought, drop-pod, heavy flamer, open topped vehicle, profit.

Sternguard, drop-pod, heavy flamer, open topped vehicle, profit.

Landspeeder Tornado, Multimelta/heavy flamer, open topped vehicle, profit

Why pop the transport if you can just cook the guys inside it first?

Devastators with Missile Launchers work wonders against Orks, because they're efficient against Trukks and then have enough templates to still wound the Orks on foot :)

A key tactics for Orks is also to not fear charging first. They have t-shirt saves, a low initiative and are so much deadlier when THEY get to charge (I haven't played them in a while but I recall they have furious charge or rage ? In any case, a single extra attack on 20 boys means 20 extra attacks which you want to avoid at all costs, while a Tactical squad charging in will still shoot their bolt pistols for the sweet AP5 shots and effectively double their melee output on the turn they charge).

Hey guys

A bit more info, he tends to run absolutely all of his squads in trukks. Several units of boyz with around 12 models in each squad as well as a warboss (ead whoppas kill choppa, attack squig) with a large unit of Nobz (3 power klaws) a boss pole +1 WS and a painboy 4+ feel no pain. (This unit is an absolute monster) also runs a 30 strong squad of stormboyz (not to bothered about these they don't last long against a full strength assault squad with covering fire from a tactical squad and in one game they got beat by a 10 man devastator squad). he also run a fighter bomma/dakka jet and some orks with big guns (D3 shots per turn can't remember their name). also has a big mek with force field which is usually in the centre of his line providing nearly all his Transports with 5+ cover. oh yeah and he's really jammy with IWND rolls on his trukks as well (though no advice can actually help with that). I am thinking of deploying snipers next time to pick off his heavy hitters and buff units but would be good to know what you guys think.

Archived