Cadian 144th Expeditionary Force - WIP blog

dr. dwarf

Hello, I havent been here in quite some time until last week when I asked for help with a 1000pt list. I'm more of a painter/modeler when it comes to 40k stuff(my signature has links to old SM paint blogs), but I wanted to play the game finally and friend offered to teach me. I dont have alot of IG stuff painted and ready to go, but I did have enough for 3 vet squads w/ chimeras and he let me borrow the rest to fill the squad. I had a good time and now have an idea of where I want to go with my IG, so I figured I would share my paintwork here as I build my forces.

I wanted to get into the hobby, but not spend alot of money so most of my stuff is second hand. I also like some of the older IG models (i.e. metal Catachans, psykers, etc) so 2nd hand is usually where you'll find this stuff as well. I also found that I like the challenge of getting old damaged/broken, paint drowned models and fixing/repainting them into something better. I'm not that great of painter by any means, but I do try my best.

Fluffwise, this army will be Cadian Veterans that upon planetfall, will train the locals (i.e. conscripts) to fight, but arent afraid to get into it with mechanized vet squads and armor.

Anyway, here is some of the stuff I've gotten done and I'll add stuff I'm working on as well.

CHIMERA

a finished chimera I got second hand. It was my first attempt at weathering/battle damage and using some pigments. I added stowage from bits I had on hand. The stowage and weathering helped hide soem of the damage from glue and whatnot that was on the model when I got it.

CHIMERA - BOLTER

I magnetiized the weapons, here's the bolter option.

chimera before and after

The picture at the top is the condition I got the chimera in, the  one the bottom is halfway through painting. I feel it  looks a bit better than it did to start with.

IG Vets Based

Some (not all) of my vets I got painted and based. It's not the best photo, but I dont have the best lighting in my house so it'll have to do. It looks like some of the gloss coat didnt get hit with the dullcote, but that has been fixed now.

IG Sgt , commissars

Some of my favorite models - a forgeworld torso on the Sgt, A metal commisar, and a metal Catachan. The Catachan was part of a weapons team, but I cut his autocannon ammo hand off and resculpted it to hold a knife so now he's infantry.

Commissar WIP process

The process of painting the commissar (someone on another site had asked so I made the graphic above for them)

Thats all I got for now, but I'll add more pics as I go along or if there's something you want to see already posted I probably got WIP pics of it at various stages.

Good to see your WIP get started, your models are great - especially the armour! A good camo scheme painted very well with some excellent weathering so I'll be looking forward to seeing more tanks ;) Your troopers are very characterful and you did a grand job giving that Chimera the love it deserves so keep finding those bargains to rescue! :D

Welcome to the main Forum. Hopefully a fountain of knowledge will be found to help your further crusades!

The painting looks great with lots of very individual looking models. 

I to am in possession of a lot of ebay/seller rescue jobs and it is nice getting the satisfaction of getting it right and making the model good. 

Thanks all, I went back and corrected some spelling mistakes in my initial post, it looked like I suffered a stroke while typing that.

http://i.imgur.com/weIhaAk.jpg?1

Here's a few chimeras (chimera?, chimerii??) on the desk for a repaint, the one in the back is already stripped and this bad boy came in the other day. It got a good ol' Purple Power bath to eliminate the paintjob and the wierd smell it came with...

http://i.imgur.com/BJJ2vYV.jpg?1

Now its super clean and ready for some primer!

Great job on the latest save. How do you go about Stripping the paint away an what is it you use?

I have switched from using Simple Green to a more potent solution called Purple Power.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/4320P-2T.jpg

I normally use Simple Green to strip paint. It's safe for metals, plastics, and resins and also safe for your skin if you get it on your hands or whatever. The downside to Simple Green is that it takes about 24hours for it to loosen up the paint and then you have to go at it with an old toothbrush to get it off. Power Purple is kinda the same thing, yet stronger but not safe for prolonged skin contact. It is safe for metals and plastics, but I'm not sure about resins yet.  Instead of 24+ hours, I have been able to strip minis in less than 12 hours with minimal (if any) work with a toothbrush. I did have to use a toothbrush on both the chimeras above, but I would say it was more like wiping off the paint than scrubbing it off,  PP did most of the work.

Unfortunately I do not know what an equivalent to Power Purple or Simple Green is outside the United States. From what I've seen something called Fairy is like Simple Green in the UK.

I have the following on my to-do list:

Chimera

Chimera

Valkyrie/Vendetta

Company Command Squad

Primaris Psyker

Various Special Weapons guys (meltas,plasmas,etc.)

Inquisition elements for a possible Ally (i.e. Coteaz and created henchmen)

I hope to get two or three Leman Russes sometime this month or next as well depending on my finances.

All except the Valkyrie are. It was considered "new on sprue, no box" yet didnt have its decal sheet and I found the heavy bolters missing, but  thats not a big deal considering the price I paid for it. It's mid-assembly right now getting primed up.

Kinda a tough one to call, the turkey this year was fried and had a great flavor!

The valkyrie did get a basecoat, but its drying so I moved on to adding stowage to my chimeras. I ran into a problem with whats going to be my command chimera seeing that the hatch upfront is the wrong hatch. So I need some help deciding on which way to go:

http://i.imgur.com/q9Bnjs8.jpg?1

Should I go dual sandbags, sandbag and stowage, stowage bags alone, or try to pry open the doors and have a dude looking out? The door in question is below along with the other chimera and its stowage piled high in comparison with my completed chimera's stowage.

http://i.imgur.com/sCOAEhw.jpg?1

any suggestions are appreciated!

I can see Tamiya 1:35 sand bags :)

For real life issues putting equipment over the drivers hatch looks a little daft as how does he see to drive... As you have the wrong hatches fitted and want to "correct " it how about if you have any spare parts with vision blocks in your bits box, cut the block off and glue it on to one of the hatch halves. If not, try cutting out a rectangular hole then use a small length of plasticard over the top edge of the hole to make it look like a vision block.

Personally I am against the equipment over the top hatches as this would stop them from being opened but that is just my "real life" opinion, model wise it looks good :)

Thanks for the advice, i think I'll  try to pry the current panel off and make a mold of the correct panel to replace it with. I also painted up an old metal tank commander/driver guy, he's got some weird peep-eyed, mouth open looking sculpt going on, but it'll do. Lighting isnt the best in my house either:

http://i.imgur.com/ySrS35m.jpg?1

I put a magnet on him and his chimera so he stays put while in the turret.

The Chimera window repair went well this morning. The mold came out decent, but I had to resculpt the glass a bit. The doors came off without a hitch, but left a bit of glue residue where they once were:

http://i.imgur.com/IWwyusn.jpg?1

It'll look better once painted and the residue may even help in the weathering process. Now its time to add some light stowage and then its off to primer.

Archived