Cadian 144th Expeditionary Force - WIP blog

dr. dwarf

Thanks, I got to clean it up some more, trying to do the simple cadian pattern like I have on my chimera. I probably should have done the lines like the photo below for the valkyrie, but its a little to late now but there's always a next time:

http://i.imgur.com/JVMHGnw.jpg?1

I got all the other chimeras stowaged up and primed, just need time to dry. I also aqquired a new leman russ that'll be built as a punisher and a wyvern so look for those soon.

Your picture doesn't seem to work sad.png

You're saving a tank for the Big Guns challenge next year right? msn-wink.gif

fixed the picture, and what is this chalenge and where can I read up on it? (I do have a punisher that needs building)

Also my chimeras are dry and awaiting basecoat and camo. The Valkyrie is getting its underside painted.

http://i.imgur.com/3kRvN7J.jpg?1

Good stuff, reminds me I need to get a brush in hand soon :)

The event is a painting challenge, the pre-announcment can be found in this topic. Your Punisher is a valid entry, you can build and prime it and it'll still be a valid entry as it's focused on painting more than anything else. It's not a competition in the proper sense in that you're not against anyone, there is no penalty for failure (except failing your fellow comrades...) but there's ongoing promotions and medals that are awarded for success. You've probably seen them in people's sigs. It's a running event, you can earn further ranks by doing some background fluff too :D

If you have any questions let me know :tu:

Got the valkyrie engines painted andt he rest of it highlighted. Next is decals and weathering. The color is off in the photo below due to lighting (yes I know, I sound like a broken record on the lighting problem, but its all I got for now) the yellow color is actually brown and no amount of color correction in PS could fix it.

http://i.imgur.com/M1v6iC5.jpg?1

I also painted the pilots. I was going to do more detail until I saw how much you could see through the canopy once the frame is put on. I see now why most just paint the glass solid and call it a day, but I was halfway into it so I just finished on out with everything getting a color or two. I know on the next valkyrie I get I will paint these jokers before they go in the cockpit for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/e8DW5KB.jpg?1

Hopefully I can finish this thing soon so I can start building the Pask Punisher tank and Wyvern I got sitting in a box. I still need to put some paint on the chimeras too.wallbash.gif

Well that is one good looking Valkyrie you got there mate. 

I love that you went all the way and painted the interior... but as you said, not much of it will be seen once you put on the canopy... but hey, a true hobbiest will see it and appreciate it. 

Looking at your dedication makes me feel really lazy when I paint my vehicles. But thats a good thing perhaps. You inspire me to actually give it a try on my next vehicle. 

@scatmandoo

Now really, is it really that "bad". Or perhaps you were a great 5 year old painter?

This looks amazing! It is so realistic and the colours contrast well.

Makes mine look like a 5 year old painted it!

No way! I looked through your stuff and it is great! I basically followed this video to paint my valkyrie and my other vehicles, substituting my colors/paint of course:

Very nice indeed! The camo looks great and the detail will be visible through the canopy don't worry smile.png This will be a very nice addition to your army, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished soon.

Thanks! I hope to get it finished soon, I get lazy and also paint at glacial pace. I got a neat idea for the base so watch out for that too if I can make it work.

I love that you went all the way and painted the interior... but as you said, not much of it will be seen once you put on the canopy... but hey, a true hobbiest will see it and appreciate it.

Looking at your dedication makes me feel really lazy when I paint my vehicles. But thats a good thing perhaps. You inspire me to actually give it a try on my next vehicle.

I also painted the inside of the transport as well, but noticed my sprues didnt have the door gunner bolters (got it "new on sprue" for waay below what most charge used/abused, so I'm not that mad) so that kinda dashed my plan to magnetize the top for removal so you could see the inner workings. I painted everything in it pretty basic though, I'll see if I can get a pic of the inside once everything is done.

Picked up some more stuff today - a tank accessories sprue and a Pask mini for the Punisher tank. I bought the Demolisher kit (makes punisher and executioner variants) new thinking the accessories sprue was included like the old tanks but it isnt! It's kinda a rip @ $15 for one sprue, but I wanted those sweet tread armor covers and more stuff to make stowage with.

That Valk really looks good.  The camo pattern reminds of the 50's / 60's Skyraider.  The interior really looks good, and adds that extra bit. You could always pin the canopy so that it can be removed to allow people to drool at the inside. 

@scatmandoo

Now really, is it really that "bad". Or perhaps you were a great 5 year old painter?

Makes me want to strive to paint better myself. And thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

This looks amazing! It is so realistic and the colours contrast well.

Makes mine look like a 5 year old painted it!

No way! I looked through your stuff and it is great! I basically followed this video to paint my valkyrie and my other vehicles, substituting my colors/paint of course:

Very nice indeed! The camo looks great and the detail will be visible through the canopy don't worry smile.png This will be a very nice addition to your army, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished soon.

Thanks! I hope to get it finished soon, I get lazy and also paint at glacial pace. I got a neat idea for the base so watch out for that too if I can make it work.

I also painted the inside of the transport as well, but noticed my sprues didnt have the door gunner bolters (got it "new on sprue" for waay below what most charge used/abused, so I'm not that mad) so that kinda dashed my plan to magnetize the top for removal so you could see the inner workings. I painted everything in it pretty basic though, I'll see if I can get a pic of the inside once everything is done.

Picked up some more stuff today - a tank accessories sprue and a Pask mini for the Punisher tank. I bought the Demolisher kit (makes punisher and executioner variants) new thinking the accessories sprue was included like the old tanks but it isnt! It's kinda a rip @ $15 for one sprue, but I wanted those sweet tread armor covers and more stuff to make stowage with.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. also many thanks for the video link. I will try to incorporate these ideas on my future tanks.

As for thee accessories sprue, it is expensive but the accessories you get are well worth it for making some individual tanks. Just don't forget to throw some magnets at it to keep all options available.

As for thee accessories sprue, it is expensive but the accessories you get are well worth it for making some individual tanks. Just don't forget to throw some magnets at it to keep all options available.

Magnets you say?

Behold! Pask's Punisher Tank - everything is magnetized!

http://i.imgur.com/Cyf3G73.jpg?1

This took a bit of time to do and I know not all the weapon options are present, but this is what I have done so far. I wanted to do the spotlight and track armor, but it was getting a bit too fiddly at that point. Most if not all the magnets are hidden so I can remove the entire sponson and you'll see no magnet, same with the turrets.

I may add some more accessories to this tank before it gets a primering, not sure yet.

Weathering has started on the valkyrie. These arent the best pics, and the bare metal looks brighter than what it  actually is but what can you do. The top got light weathering, but I plan to add some soot to the engine exhaust maybe some spot rust here and there. (WARNING -BIG PICTURES THIS TIME! :) )

http://i.imgur.com/tnaLFC6.jpg?1

The bottom is a bit more weathered from landing and being shot at, etc. I think I may have gone a bit overboard but oh well - learning experience. I plan to add some rust and stuff here too maybe.

http://i.imgur.com/q13S4Mt.jpg?1

I got some more magnets in as well as these guys below:

http://i.imgur.com/iRCwmv1.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/hCAzve7.jpg?1

They're going to get a nice strip bath this week, but thier painting priority is on down the list for now. The free company guys are gonna be my conscripts!

More to come soon, I built a Wyvern up and got it along with two chimeras basecoated green, so I hope to get thier camo patterns down soon, but with christmas stuff going on I'm not sure if that'll happen or not.

Big is an understatement, the full size managed to fill my entire screen which is no small feat :lol: Looks really good, I don't think you've gone overboard on the weathering at all.

What's your plan with the free company? Looks like you can kit bash some of them to make them more Guard like but others might be more difficult. A good supply run indeed, I'll be looking forward to seeing them finished :)

• 4 months later...

After a long hiatus, I decided to pick up the brush again and paint up this Officer of the Fleet I got from the eBay rescue/job lot I bought (its posted earlier in this thread).

http://i.imgur.com/RzzNH2n.jpg?1

he looks likes kinda pissed to have mud on his boots. I'll add some flock once I gloss n' matte coat him first. Hopefully I can knock a few more minis out here soon!

I really like the camo scheme on your vehicles. What specific colours are the green and brown stripes (I'm assuming GW paints)?

Yes it's GW paints, but all my paints are the older GW paints before the renaming that went on awhile back. The green is the same as this video as well as the camo pattern:

The brown is Snakebite Leather with a drybrush of Tausept Ochre then I tie the green and brown together with Dheneb Stone. I havent found a suitable replacement for snakebite leather in the current GW range so once I run out I may be screwed laugh.png .

Welcome back doc smile.png He looks great, a very nice white and red topped off with excellent details - it certainly does look like he's very unimpressed with having to step on terra firma laugh.png

Thanks, I hope to crank out a few more this month!

Archived