Oh so back....

Dread

First off I'd like to say howdy to y'all and then go into this topic. I spent so much tim painting my GK for the Etl that I burned on them. Now, I had to sell my sisters of battle army and my friend who bought them want's us to team up AS/GK against CSM. We will each have a 1500 pt list. From being a seasoned AS player, I built my GK lst aroud the idea of going forward and conquering and allow the sisters to hold objectives and the such even tho we will be using the GK tac obj.

My list kind sirs and ladies:

Brother capt  177- bone shard/incenerator

2x termies- 238- 1xhamm, psycannon/hally, 3 hallies

Storm Raven TL-MM

NDK -teleporter, gaitlain silencer, hvy psycannon  225

NDK-teleporter, hvy incinerator, hvy psy and great sword  195

Interceptors

justicar- falcions, 4 w/falcion, incinerator and daemonhammr

Puts me one point over for 1501. Not sure what the others are bring so I shall take noted and repor back.

M

y list kind sirs and ladies:

Brother capt  177- bone shard/incenerator

2x termies- 238- 1xhamm, psycannon/hally, 3 hallies

Storm Raven TL-MM

NDK -teleporter, gaitlain silencer, hvy psycannon  225

NDK-teleporter, hvy incinerator, hvy psy and great sword  195

Interceptors

justicar- falcions, 4 w/falcion, incinerator and daemonhammr

Stahp

First things first, HQ is Librarian. This is not negotiable. Below 2k we don't have the points for any of the others, and he's just too useful and efficient. 

Secondly, you need more dudes. 1500 is where strong infantry really shine, as some of the more vicious power units can't be spammed as relentlessly. More Terminators, in other words. 

Thirdly, more DK's. They are very strong in smaller games, and 1500 is a point level where its hard to bring enough plasma to kill 2, let alone 3 or 4. 

Interceptors are cool, but most of what they do can be replicated by a heavy incinerator on a DK. I'd choose between them or Raven. Raven is great but its better when it bringing Purifiers to the fight. On its own, I'd rather just more Termies for the same points. 

At 1500 I'd be taking this instead;

HQ:

(2) Librarian w/stave

(110 points each)

Troops:

(2) Justicar w/sword, 2x Terminator w/sword+psycannon, 2x Terminator w/hammer, 5x Terminator w/sword

(390 points each)

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

Dreadknight w/greatsword, heavy psycannon, heavy incinerator, teleporter

(225 points each)

Dreadknight w/greatsword, heavy psycannon, teleporter

(205 points)

Fortifications:

Aegis Line w/Comms Array

(70 points)

1500 on the dot. More Terminators, and a better focus. Plus I squeezed in a Comms Array so you can take this as a Nemesis Strikeforce and Deepstrike Turn 1 reliably. 

I've found that gatling psylencers on dreadknights are better than incinerators. I've used them a few times, and the only time they've failed is when I went against tau (thought I could insta gib some suits... Failed miserably).

Especially when everything else in our army can use incinerators effectively with turn 1 deepstrike and run.

Plus without force activated, it still gives as much shooting as 6 knights with storm bolters!

Couple that with a fast firing psycannon, and that's the equivalent of 9 purifiers with 3 psycannons shooting on the move.

(it's really annoying how everything is the under dog compared to a dreadknight)

And I've been religiously using librarians also. But going against my chaos marine friend, always ends up in combat, to which the librarian always fails miserably,

So I guess brother captains aren't all bad really.

I've found that gatling psylencers on dreadknights are better than incinerators. I've used them a few times, and the only time they've failed is when I went against tau (thought I could insta gib some suits... Failed miserably).

I can't think of many matchups where it is better. It's only better with 'Force' turned on, otherwise its literally just more Strength 4 shooting, which we already have acres of. That's why the heavy psycannon is the only gun I normally take, as it kills everything efficiently. 

Especially when everything else in our army can use incinerators effectively with turn 1 deepstrike and run. 

The problem is landing close enough without Mishap'ing or scattering in the wrong direction. Deepstrike is so inherently random that even with Run+Shoot, you can still be out of flamer range sometimes. At least on the DK you have torrent to get around the range issue. I'd be taking psycannons on your Terminator squads dude, its the best gun by far. We don't need incinerators as much as we do psycannon. 

Couple that with a fast firing psycannon, and that's the equivalent of 9 purifiers with 3 psycannons shooting on the move. 

(it's really annoying how everything is the under dog compared to a dreadknight) 

Yeah. If we weren't forced to take Librarian HQ's and Terminator Troops, we probably wouldn't field anything but DK's. Its pretty absurd how a unit already strong in our last codex got straight buffed (better invul save, better powers, better guns, slightly worse melee, cheaper teleporter) to the point where even 33pt Terminators still don't outperform it. 

And I've been religiously using librarians also. But going against my chaos marine friend, always ends up in combat, to which the librarian always fails miserably, 

So I guess brother captains aren't all bad really. 

I'd be taking a Grandmaster then. With a hammer he'll reliably stomp anything your CSM friend has. 

You would try some paladins, if you want an anvil on the enemy zone, they are really good, at least for me...

I always play 5 paladins with 2 psycannons, and a librarian, you can fish for invisibility or play with Sanctic powers that are very good.

The problem is, you pay a huge premium for those extra wounds, yet they still die like flies to S8. I guess if your local meta has no one with S8 and/or AP2, you're golden, but otherwise...I didn't find Paladins useful last edition, and now they're just criminally overpriced. 33pt Termies put tne nail in the coffin. 

Ok, so I have a few questions.

1. If I take a NDK as my warlord, does he become an HQ and not take up a heavy slot?

2. If I take an NDK as warlord does he get a warlord trait?

3. To keep a bound list, if I take 3 NDKs as heavies in one detachment, then I could take another in another detachment that is not the primary, right?

4. If taking the brotherhood detachment and all units can deep strike, do you still have to have 50% of your army on the board for deployment?

I know some of these questions are kinda dumb but I know that ya'll won't lead me astray.

My list ended up with most of the suggestions but the libby just didn't pack the punch I felt he should have. It was:

Libby

2x termies mixed array of weaponry 8 models strong

pallies- apoth, incenirator, psycannon swords

NDK incen/hvy psy sword teleport

NDK gatlin/pys teleport

As for the game tonight, it was me and the AS against a bound nids list and an unbound monstrous creature nids list, 3k each side. I can't really report much from the game, we only made 2 turns. I'm in the middle of some stomach problems and it hit me hard again so we had to stop. I know that at this point we were at 5 points and them at 1. Nice table layout but I couldn't stay focused. I do realize that as of the game, I'm more into my GK than I thought and now have a few more models to build. Thanks again everyone. I will be posting up a list for next weeks game with hopes of a good critique and this time I will include some of my regular units.

Dread

Archived