Minotaurs of the Labyrinth: 01/01/15 Bldg Air Support (pg.3)

ckpmax1108

Hey All,

I'm ckpmax1108, also known as Ken. I've been in the hobby for almost 3 years now, starting with Necrons. I hit a bit of a slump with my Necrons, since its my first and only army, and since reached out to other Xenos/Imperium forces for something new. Landed myself here at some point and started lurking.

I liked what I saw for the Astartes, and tried my hand on what kind of chapter character I would enjoy painting/converting and playing the most. Hopped around, landed myself in FW, saw Asterion Moloc, and fell in love. Greek Mythology has a special place in my childhood, since its one of the first pieces of heavy literature my mother (a literature and foreign languages professor) taught me when I was in grade school.

So enough of that!

As a pretense, I'll be using this thread to post progress shots of my Minotaurs army. Do note, that the pics within this first post will be slightly grainy as I took them with my cell. Low lighting kinda made them suck as well. I'll be taking higher-quality shots whenever I finish a model 100%, and have the time to do so.

Everything starts with a good book, so as I start my FW order, IA12 is a shoe in the cart, Asterion Moloc and Ivanus Enkomi are added in as well. To be honest, Their Chapter Tactics isn't the best, but I'll stay play Minotaurs even for just the character of it.

CLICK IMAGES TO GET TO MY FLICKR, FOR HIGHER RES IMAGES

15257656743_babfddd50b_n.jpg15257656543_a790bf2e01_n.jpg15851501156_e05bf5e6ff_n.jpg

Moloc is such a characterful model, so much iconography. I planned to do justice to my first 2 characters, so I tried my hand on new things for this project. Pinning was one of them.

15851501036_00136278be_n.jpg

My favourite part of Moloc, his shield. So much detail and defines Moloc as a whole, a bull headed, immovable juggernaut clad in bronze and antiquities.

15691542447_546608fa27_n.jpg15875324371_db911a1116_n.jpg

So it took me a total of 6-8 hours in one sitting to finish off Moloc, sans the base. I used a ton of washes on his armor and any bronze. I also tend to avoid using oxides/verdigris on the army as a whole, as Minotaurs tended to maintain their armoury in tip-top shape. Though the grime of war and combat cannot be avoided.

15689796058_4966d35fd2_n.jpg

Enkomi took considerably less time to finish at 2-2.5 hours. The one on the left is the Tactical Sergeant I'm doing at the same time. I shifted my paint focus mostly on the character first tongue.png

15876659752_689c42f8ef_n.jpg15877313445_dd4c0c9a8b_n.jpg

Took a week to get to me, but I say that it was worth it. These Scibor Spartan bases are boss. Painted them the same colours as the site photos, plus the muted green is a great contrast to the deep red accents of the Minotaurs. The base even gave rhyme and reason for Enkomi's awkward body tilt biggrin.png

15257653353_e0d7c6874a_n.jpg15875321871_1e7591d59b_n.jpg15689994680_c5e0feb4a8_n.jpg15255047074_abd0e27e02_n.jpg15876656652_d5f47b3b75_n.jpg

Didn't even know there existed an actual Hamath Kraatos model, if I didn't google him up for conversion reference. Took a slight hit in the wallet to get one (I live in Canada :/) But I'd say its well worth it to get this bad boy. Love this model, love his rules, love his image of sniping someone with a heavy bolter. The belt feed was a bit fiddly, as I broke the thing in half. It's not as obvious now since its painted, but it bothers me slightly :/

Thank you for taking your time to browse through what I have. I want this thread as a means to keep me motivated though this project, and any constructive comments/tips/criticism you might leave will help me immensely.

Looking good so far, especially like the use of the Scibor bases. Good to see another Calgarian on here too.

Khrangar

Nice to see a fellow Clagarian as well in any forum. Where do you play usually? Sentry? IW?

The Scibor bases we're perfect actually for what I had in mind. "Stalwart warrior rising from the ruins of war" kind of feeling. Poetic? Yes, but the imagery is there.

Don't worry I had to break my Sicaran in half to fix it, you get over it! Really sweet looking minotaurs

I panicked when I broke it in half tongue.png A ton of Super Glue and 5 mins of holding the pieces together did the trick hahaha biggrin.png

Haha, that statue head must be made of epic rock to not break under Moloc's weigth.

Looks good. Kraatos looks boss.

To be honest, Their Chapter Tactics isn't the best, but I'll stay play Minotaurs even for just the character of it.

This guy gets it. thumbsup.gif

Thanks! I spent the least amount of time on Kraatos, but I was a bit surprised on how awesome he looks regardless.

I've never been a power gamer or anything, so coolness/epicness wins me over than math-hammer and probabilities.

Ruins stand the test of time, a heavy sack of meat in ornate metal won't make it yield. :D

Planning to post a bit more later, so stay tuned to that. Planning to add blood marks on all of them, just to define them as "brutal".

As a Minotaurs Fan (check out my thread in my signature) i can only be interested by this topic !

Good start with those three figures, i also discovered recently the physical existance of Kraatos, that's a fine looking mini.

Keep up with the good job, and if possible, can you put bigger images, it's a bit hard to appreciate your work with small pictures.

Drunes

I liked what I saw for the Astartes, and tried my hand on what kind of chapter character I would enjoy painting/converting and playing the most. Hopped around, landed myself in FW, saw Asterion Moloc, and fell in love. Greek Mythology has a special place in my childhood, since its one of the first pieces of heavy literature my mother (a literature and foreign languages professor) taught me when I was in grade school.

So enough of that!

As a pretense, I'll be using this thread to post progress shots of my Minotaurs army. Do note, that the pics within this first post will be slightly grainy as I took them with my cell. Low lighting kinda made them suck as well.  I'll be taking higher-quality shots whenever I finish a model 100%, and have the time to do so.

And same reason I pic this army, childhood reading :)

As a Minotaurs Fan (check out my thread in my signature) i can only be interested by this topic !

Good start with those three figures, i also discovered recently the physical existance of Kraatos, that's a fine looking mini.

Keep up with the good job, and if possible, can you put bigger images, it's a bit hard to appreciate your work with small pictures.

Drunes

So enough of that!

As a pretense, I'll be using this thread to post progress shots of my Minotaurs army. Do note, that the pics within this first post will be slightly grainy as I took them with my cell. Low lighting kinda made them suck as well. I'll be taking higher-quality shots whenever I finish a model 100%, and have the time to do so.

And same reason I pic this army, childhood reading smile.png

The pics are links to my Flickr pool (click away!), so you can peruse some of my stuff there. Some Tomb Kings and Necrons stuff in there as well.

Idea Dump:

Liberties we're made in naming the characters for the Minotaurs, well studied choices though don't get me wrong:

• Asterion - The bull headed son of Minos, imprisoned within the Labyrinth. Wish they did a rule concerning the Ardriane thread or something. Targetted Deepstrike of some sort.
  • Kraatos - The personified aspect strength and sovereignty....I could see it, I guess :/
  • Enkomi - A village on Cyprus, which was a Greek settlement during the Bronze Age
  • Aiakos - one of the three judges of the dead in the underworld

In that vein, I'll probably make characters based on the most memorable ones I've read:

• Bellerophon - Biker sergeant on a jet bike model, the "Pegasus". One eyed, bionic enhancements of some sort, or crippled in some way to represent his fall off Pegasus. Perseus is too mainstream, gotta respect the origin stories :P
  • Heracles/Hercules/Herakles - Contemptor Dreadnought or character Tartaros Terminator, double close combat perhaps or close combat/assault cannon variant to represent the bow he used to slay Hydra.
  • Odyseus - Character Tactical Sergeant, must take a Rhino/ other assault based variant as a transport. transport name as "Trojan Horse" or something.
  • Boreads - Assault Marines
  • Jason - Terminator Vet Serg. Leads the Argonauts.
  1. Heracles - (As mentioned above)
  2. Philoctetes
  3. Peleus
  4. Telamon
  5. Orpheus
  6. Gemini (Castor & Pollux)
  7. Atalanta - Would a female Terminator be frowned upon in our 40K community? :D
  8. Euphemus

If you're worried about a female terminator's reception, you could always just replace the 'a' with an 'o' to make it Atlanto. Not too different a name, just a more masculine version.

Khrangar

If you're worried about a female terminator's reception, you could always just replace the 'a' with an 'o' to make it Atlanto. Not too different a name, just a more masculine version.

Khrangar

But I'm actually gonna greenstuff-mod a tartaros termie to look the part hahaha biggrin.png we'll see.

Throw in a sergeant Icarus, go on! Go on, go on, go on go on go on. Just a little sandwich father

You're tempting me mate!

Icarus/Hermes as an Assault Marine Serg with Mech/Steampunk wings...

...Or keep the above Icarus, and designate Deities to Vehicle designations.

15695200039_ff8048844a_n.jpg15693914490_bd578910ba_n.jpg

As always click for larger image.

Progress of my first tactical squad for my Minotaurs. Sergeant is same as the unpainted one on the first post. Still waiting on cloaks and minotaur specific shoulder pads to finish off the serg. Also waiting on the rest of my Scibor 25mm bases for the rest of my tacs. Didn't want to dwell too much on the collar well, so just tacked on 0.5 thick plasticard to make them MK VIII's

Awesome work so far! How did you paint the bronze? What other bitz are you using?

Thanks for the kind words!

For the bronze, I used:

- Warplock Bronze Base

- Nuln Oil Wash (Wash everything to be bronzed)

- 50/50 Mix of Warplock Bronze & Shining Gold (or whatever we now have as the gold equivalent) on everything while avoiding the deepest recesses

- Gryphone Sepia Wash (or equivalent) over the whole model

- Mithril Silver (or equivalent) on highlight edges

- Wash again with Gryphone Sepia if desired

As for bits:

- Shield (on the Tac Serg banner) and Bases from Scibor

- Gladius from Kromlech

- Headgear Plume from Secret Weapon MIniatures

- I bought bits from other places as well, and I'll note where they're from when I post updates containing them.

Oh wow, every one of these guys is like a tiny work of art.

Loving your bronzes and reds.

Even though it's a small detail, my absolute favorite part of your work is the super neat effect you have going on for the eyes and power weapons. That blue/black crackling electricity bit is the coolest thing ever!

Would you mind sharing the process behind it?

... not at all so I can ruthlessly Anne Bonny the hell out of it... just for "research purposes" :D

Wow, looking great, that sergeant is awesome!

Thank you :)

Great work I will be watching this with interest!

Thanks very much, I'll make sure not to disappoint. :)

Oh wow, every one of these guys is like a tiny work of art.

Loving your bronzes and reds.

Even though it's a small detail, my absolute favorite part of your work is the super neat effect you have going on for the eyes and power weapons. That blue/black crackling electricity bit is the coolest thing ever!

Would you mind sharing the process behind it?

... not at all so I can ruthlessly Anne Bonny the hell out of it... just for "research purposes" biggrin.png

Thanks for the praise, and I'd be happy to share my process.

For the eyes:

- Base the main glow source with Teclis Blue

- Identify ares where the glow will fall on (like adjacent flat surfaces, edges, glow bleed from the source) and apply a neat line of Teclis blue to that

- Add a bit of skull white/ceramic white to Teclis blue (1:4), apply this to the interior of the glow source, avoiding recessed areas. Do the same to the adjacent surfaces but this time apply the paint in the middle of the line, leaving the ends as just teclis blue.

- Add a bit more white to the mix, and apply in a smaller area as the layer before. Do the same again for the adjacent surfaces.

- Finally do the same as the above using straight white.

- PRO TIP: If at any point, your layers bleed into the recesses, just finish the glow first. Then when it's dried, apply dark blue ink to the recesses again to get back the depth.

I know its not the best instructions for newbie OSL, but I'll do a proper tutorial on how I did this with pics in the future.

For the power weapon:

- Base the blade in black

- Apply dark blue to the base of the blade, furthest away from the sword tip.

- While the blue paint is slightly wet, apply a base blue paint slightly above the dark blue and blend it in. Repeat the process of adding slightly lighter blues the farther away until you reach the tip.

- Wait to dry.

- Realize you suck at blending.

- Get frustrated and strip the paint with a flat edge.

-Then you get serious about finishing it in one sitting, and man up.

- Base paint the blade black.

- With Teclis blue, start a line from the very tip of the blade, and paint irregular and erractic lines as you go down the blade to the base. Do this as many times as you see fit, adding branches to already existing lines if you like.

- Hard edge paint both side of the blade, and fade them out as you reach near the base.

- Mix 1:3 White to Blue, and repeat the process above along the same line, but make sure to fade it out before you reach the end of said lines. Do the same to the hard edges

- Finally do a 2:1 white to blue, and repeat the step above...you get the picture.

Again, I'll be making a tutorial with pics in the future.

Nice work so far, and tbh the best Minotaurs i've seen tongue.png

Keep it up brother =)

Thanks very much! You motivate me to do better smile.png

Work might slow down a bit on my Minos as I'm mostly waiting on orders tongue.png, But hope to still see comments from you guys on how to improve them.

On the Table right now:

• Serg waiting on shoulder pad and cloak
  • 5 Tac Marines (1 Plasma Gun, 4 Bolters) to be primed and painted. waiting on shoulder pad, plume and cloak
  • 4 Tac Marines (4 Bolters) waiting on Scibor bases (To be assembled)

Planned purchases:

• Actually might need help on this one. This is my first Astartes army, and I don't know my next buys for an Assault based army like this. Any suggestions? Budget is of no concern, but I would like to limit to $300-400 or so.
  • Want to have assault squads as well for Serg Icarus (counted within the budget above).
  • Minotaur Decals from FW

In transit:

• Minotaur shoulder pads
  • Hecaton Aiakos
  • Scibor 5x 25mm & 1x 60mm Spartan base
  • Plumes and Cloaks from Anvil Industries

A plasma and combi-plasma squad? Have you considered adding a multimelta to have a 12"/24" firing line of anti-heavy infantry murder? I've not tried it myself, but I've read good things about it, though the example that comes to mind had a combi-flamer on the sergeant instead.

I like Dragon Forge Design bases better, but your Scibor bases look good too.

The sergeant looks good.

Archived