Minimum Number of Targets: 7th is forcing a rethink for me

Karack Blackstone

Hello Reader, 1500 pt game coming soon...

I have a game coming up, and I have about 8,500 points of Wolves.

The game is 3 vs. 3, 1500 pts each person, and I am finding a bit of an issue:  how many targets are at a minimum for proper force results in a game?

I don't know yet what armies I am fighting with, and I don't know what armies I am up against, but it is likely to include both Tau and Eldar.

My preferred list is the Hour of the Wolf formation of Logan, Arjac and two WG TDA in twin LRC's; however, thinking of what I can do to counter the problem of low numbers of targets versus such effective shooting, I have cooked up a list that has without flyers:

---

RP w/ Psychic Hood

GH's x 8, WGPL (SS/PF), Rhino w/ EA, MG, PW (sword)

GH's x 9, WGPL (SS/PF), Rhino w/ EA, MG, PW (sword)

Dread, Ven, FGA & BS, EA

Dread, GWC & SB, EA, AC

Pred, TLLC, LC x 2 (sponsons)

Vindi, SS, EA

---

And either a WP w/ JP and 10 Skyclaws, or 5 BC's and a Stormwolf.

From what I can tell, fliers are not likely, but could happen.  I also don't want to be the lone person that brings a flyer and becomes that guy.

There's also a problem of the terrain on the table has been a bit... one sided.  The host of the previous game, if he repeats what he did last time, is likely to win as he just fills the center of the board with battletech hex terrain and leaves only the sides to go around for tanks.  He is a good friend, but the problem is calling him on it seems to cause more issues than it is worth.

Without more intelligence, this situation is becoming a problem; I've tried finding out where the game will be to know what terrain is going on the table.  As far as armies go, I am aware only of one player having a choice of Tau, Tyranids, and some Eldar, another having Eldar, and another (I think an opponent) having Necrons.  I own no TWC, and I'm looking to make a good showing, hopefully win; that all said, when I could have SoB or DE as an ally, and one more I can't figure out right now, it's hard to know what force to bring.

Thoughts?

General rule of thumb: The less units you bring, the higher the output per unit must be. When I spend 500 points on a unit, they better deliver.

Example, 500 points I could get Tigurius + Centurions in a SW pod with Deathwind Launchers. Pretty darn bloody expensive as hell. But Centurions can delete 2 units due to splitfire, Tigurius can have Psychic Scream at a third one and damage that one. He can also buff other units around. The Deathwind pod allows positioning and it can pressure tightly packed units as well. That is up to 4 units I can pressure.

Another example, for 500 points I can get TWC + Lord. The unit is tough, the TWC can multi-charge while the Lord can go off by his own. Realistically, I can pressure and kill up to 3 units in one go and they have the means to get there save and sound.

A bad choice would be melee TDA in a Land Raider. The LR can pressure 2 units with PotMS, but its damage output is too slow to do anything significant except to blow up a tank with some lucky rolls. A Land Raider can be stopped in its tracks by absolutely every army these days (except Tyranids). Once they do, melee TDA and screwed because they are too slow to keep up. That was not a good investment for 500 points.

And yes, I would bring a Stormwolf. PotMS Melta at two targets in a 4.5k game might be a game changer. Imagine being able to kill two tanks in a turn. That is a solid investment for 235 points empty gunship. Running something in it is not a good investment anymore.

You see? You can bring 1 bloody unit if it is capable of destroying the board by itself. I love to play with low unit count. I have 5 units on the field, two of which are mini death stars and take 50% of the points. The other 3 are niche units that help the two big units out.

Gotta agree with Immersturm. Not for all the same reasons though. The Storm Grr gives you flexibilty to help yourself & your allies out. Use the BC's to take that objective that's left way over yonder or drop the BC's off to pick up another unit & ferry it to where it needs to be for that last turn game deciding battle. I like the look of the rest of your list. It should compliment whatever your allies take. Good Luck.

General rule of thumb: The less units you bring, the higher the output per unit must be. When I spend 500 points on a unit, they better deliver.

Example, 500 points I could get Tigurius + Centurions in a SW pod with Deathwind Launchers. Pretty darn bloody expensive as hell. But Centurions can delete 2 units due to splitfire, Tigurius can have Psychic Scream at a third one and damage that one. He can also buff other units around. The Deathwind pod allows positioning and it can pressure tightly packed units as well. That is up to 4 units I can pressure.

Another example, for 500 points I can get TWC + Lord. The unit is tough, the TWC can multi-charge while the Lord can go off by his own. Realistically, I can pressure and kill up to 3 units in one go and they have the means to get there save and sound.

A bad choice would be melee TDA in a Land Raider. The LR can pressure 2 units with PotMS, but its damage output is too slow to do anything significant except to blow up a tank with some lucky rolls. A Land Raider can be stopped in its tracks by absolutely every army these days (except Tyranids). Once they do, melee TDA and screwed because they are too slow to keep up. That was not a good investment for 500 points.

And yes, I would bring a Stormwolf. PotMS Melta at two targets in a 4.5k game might be a game changer. Imagine being able to kill two tanks in a turn. That is a solid investment for 235 points empty gunship. Running something in it is not a good investment anymore.

You see? You can bring 1 bloody unit if it is capable of destroying the board by itself. I love to play with low unit count. I have 5 units on the field, two of which are mini death stars and take 50% of the points. The other 3 are niche units that help the two big units out.

Gotta agree with Immersturm. Not for all the same reasons though. The Storm Grr gives you flexibilty to help yourself & your allies out. Use the BC's to take that objective that's left way over yonder or drop the BC's off to pick up another unit & ferry it to where it needs to be for that last turn game deciding battle. I like the look of the rest of your list. It should compliment whatever your allies take. Good Luck.

Hm.

Stormwolf and BC's then, it is as of now.

Archived