Lion's Quote From Book 4 Conquest

HaSY

Sounds somewhat familiar (although it would to me, since this is part of what I based some of my Stoneburners mythos around):

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day." - Aiel Oath (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time)

Then again, most quotes about fighting on to the bitter end likely involve similar wording.

I give the Lion big :tu: :tu: on the quote. I like it!

I wonder if he said that as he was being choked to death by Curze. Would seem pitiful as his last dying words. I also find it interesting that Lion could not find midnight on his own ship. Or how he allowed midnight onto the throne world of the Ultramarines. And some would call him a tactical genius. Bah! He was tricked into fighting alongside a brother against one better brother. He was DEFINATELY not "spitting defiance in midnight's eye" then.

Poor deluded fools.

I wonder if he said that as he was being choked to death by Curze. Would seem pitiful as his last dying words. I also find it interesting that Lion could not find midnight on his own ship. Or how he allowed midnight onto the throne world of the Ultramarines. And some would call him a tactical genius. Bah! He was tricked into fighting alongside a brother against one better brother. He was DEFINATELY not "spitting defiance in midnight's eye" then.

Poor deluded fools.

And your point besides trying to start a flame war is... ? dry.png

It does when it comes into a DA thread bashing the DA primarch without provocation. A thread solely dedicated to give cool quotes from Lion El'Jonson. Someone might take offense and the thread is de-railed for nothing with the ensuing flame war or jib-jab exchange of " my primarch is better than yours".

I find it a little sad. Maybe it's the overblown pathos at work there.

So we fight on alone with no friends ... yes very uplifting I'm sure <_<

Is he referring to the Astartes in general or Dark Angels, specifically? There is no context.

Frankly that kind of schoolboy 'heroic' output has always left me cold.

I await my invite to Chamber 42 for correction.

I don't know what book "Conquest 4" is, but these are strong words of guidance.

However I shall bend this to my own needs by replacing 'Field of Victory' with "Staff lunchroom" and "Midnight's Eye" with "My boss's Eye". Thank you Mr.Lion for permission to spit on my boss! Booyaaa

I find it a little sad. Maybe it's the overblown pathos at work there.

So we fight on alone with no friends ... yes very uplifting I'm sure dry.png

Is he referring to the Astartes in general or Dark Angels, specifically? There is no context.

Frankly that kind of schoolboy 'heroic' output has always left me cold.

I await my invite to Chamber 42 for correction.

Welcome to Chamber 42, literary analysis division. First off, no context is required, as this qutoe is one that regards the general ideology of The Lion, and has nothing to do with any particular event. It is really about what being a servant of the Imperium means.

The quote:

"The measure of true glory is not to give

battle in the bright moon of war, surrounded

by brave comrades upon the field of victory,

but to valiantly fight on alone in the darkness,

with no hope of aid or even remembrance,

and to spit defiance in Midnight's eye."

Let me translate

"True glory is not about fighting in plain view

of others who can see the obvious awesomeness

of what you are already expected to be doing,

but to fight against Evil without the expectation

or even hope that help will come, or that you will be

remembered, or that anyone will ever know

what you have done or have sacrificed."

In other words, only the vainglorious seek acknowledgement for accomplishing what is expected of them. The simple act of doing what is expected of you, no matter how hopeless it seems, and without anybody ever knowing that you have done it, is the measure of true glory.

Thanx for the translation - I might not have understood it otherwise <_<.

Doesn't alter my personal opinion on that type of GW writng. I don't like it - too stilted - whoever spouted it ;)

Cheers

I

• 2 weeks later...

Archived