Vanilla Marine Help?

Ulrik_Ironfist

I have space wolves and dark angels, for my Imperial Armies. For Dark Angels I can see a lot of benefits to running them out of C:SM. They really don't loose much, and gain a ton. 

As for my space wolves, they'd gain a lot of toys, but they'd loose a ton of flavour. I wouldn't get to have my tac marines be good in close combat, and I wouldn't get my awesome wolf claws, but I so rarely take those now, since they're expensive, I just use them as power swords (lightning claws basically). I would however gain access to the stormtalons and stormravens, that I love so much.

So I'd like to hear some ideas, what chapter tactics would I use that keep as close to space wolves as possible? How would they be best employed? Drop Pods, armoured column, or hybrid? Or am I wasting my time on this line of reasoning? 

Personally I'd say to play the wolves as wolves. That said, if you are set on playing codex marines, what company are you playing? Play the iron wolf? Use iron hands to have tough vehicles, and slightly manlier marines. Ragnar's? Consider Black Templars for the buff to challenges, as they like to fight enemy leaders, or some such. The burny company? You guessed it. Imperial Fis... I mean Salamanders.

Having thought about it, I guess this could work, but you loose out on all of your Wolfy goodness. Can you live wihout your wolf hammers, wolf pods, storm wolves, lone wolves, thunder wolf cavalry and wolf priests? Can you? :p

Hope somewhere in the rambling, something of use was said.

Dallo

I agree, that I'd lose out on the wolfy goodness. I don't think I could live without some of the things, but there's a lot that's the same. I have TWC, but I rarely use them, since they're pretty much monobuild (TH/SS) and that's really only good for tank hunting. Though their 3+/3++ makes them pretty survivable. 

A thought that I had was, Why can't I use my old codex. As long as I'm using 7 ed game rules, why does it matter? Most of my units come out costing the same or less, so it just feels better. Grey hunters are cheaper, dreads come out about the same, drop pods are the same. I take logan grimnar for my HQ and Wolf Guard become troops and no +1 WS, or outflanking everything shennanigans. Just good old reserves and drop pod assault. No formations, just simple old space wolves. 

I know that it might not be allowed at a games workshop store, but private games it should be fine right?

Fielding both the space wolves fliers the way I usually kit them, is the same points cost as the astartes storm wing the way I kit it out. aside from the stormwolf being a dedicated transport in the new codex, there's really no reason not to take the Storm wing. Also, in 7th edition, terminator armour confers the deep strike special rule, so I can still deep strike my terminators. 

I don't think you'll be able to make Wolves-like Marines with C:SM, they're just too different. Being able to field 2 special weapons per "Tactical" squad gives them a very different role and flavour than in C:SM.

If you like Stormtalons and Stormravens, I wonder if you can take the Stormwing as a formation ? I mean within the dataslate I don't see anything that restricts it to Codex: Space Marines armies (some do restrict it to certain Codexes, like Cypher's Fallen), and because Formations are outside of the FOC you don't have to take allies.

I don't want to give your false hopes though, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're not wrong. I do take the storm wing in several lists, and since all imperial armies are battle brothers, I can start some of my units in the storm raven. At least according to my community. So I can get the storm raven and storm talons. I was just spit balling ideas, so that I can find a play style that suits me...

Well then, I would suggest that you stick to space wolves if you're looking for the space wolves playstyle :) I don't think you can properly replicate it with any Codex Marines unfortunately, or bring it close enough that you won't really feel the difference...

Archived