Sox MIA...

captain sox

Good day everyone, hope you are all doing well.

Every once in a while, a time comes when you need to take a step back and evaluate what you do in your spare time, and hobbies etc. lately, I've been finding myself frustrated and uninterested in this particular hobby. Our gaming group rarely meets, (I have yet to play in 2014) and I find I am spending time and money in a hobby that isn't giving me what I want anymore.

So I've decided to take a step back, and think about what's next for Captain Sox. I've contemplated selling my Guard army and keeping my Deathwing army, simply for the fact I really like the terminator models, especially the new kits, but I've also contemplated getting rid of it all.

I've just hit a wall, and find myself losing interest by the day... which is too bad. You folks here are the best group of people around on the web. I'll still be checking in once in a while, whilst I ponder the future.

So I'll be listed MIA (or AWOL) whichever way you see it tongue.png

I await the "click" of the Commissar's bolt pistol...

As someone who got very disillusioned with the hobby about 8 years ago, take my advice and box everything up and put it away somewhere to await the day when you get your hobby mojo back.

The worse mistake I made was to sell all my 40K and WHFB armies off, as a mix of staff discount and GW's price hikes means I will never be able to afford to buy them back.

Good luck finding your hobby mojo somewhere in the grim dark future.

Sorry to hear that, Sox, but I think it happens to many of us that we encounter periods where our enthusiasm for the hobby really wanes. I would strongly urge you not to sell your collections, because I bet your enthusiasm for the hobby will return after a break. I had a period of about five years where I didn't touch the hobby and then came back. Since that time I have low periods and higher periods. I don't get much gaming in either. Actually, the only gaming I've done in all of 2014 was Astronomi-con Toronto plus a few warm-up matches getting ready for that.

You're from Winnipeg if I recall (per the Wpg Jets helmet on your Valkyrie pilot) you really ought to consider attending Astronomi-con 2015 in Winnipeg. Astro originated in Winnipeg and I bet you the price of admission that you will have your love for the hobby rekindled by playing in that tournament. Depending on when it is this year, I may try to attend Astro Winnipeg myself. If I knew you were going I'd redouble my efforts to make it happen.

As someone who got very disillusioned with the hobby about 8 years ago, take my advice and box everything up and put it away somewhere to await the day when you get your hobby mojo back.

The worse mistake I made was to sell all my 40K and WHFB armies off, as a mix of staff discount and GW's price hikes means I will never be able to afford to buy them back.

Good luck finding your hobby mojo somewhere in the grim dark future.

I forgot to mention in my post that I did the same thing during my 5 year hiatus -- I sold all my minis which I really really regret. Not so much for the $$ aspect as I work a fairly high-paying job now and can afford to buy pretty much what I want within reason. But the flip side is that I don't have the time and I will never (time-wise) be able to build up the collection I had again (and it was pretty big -- a very large WFB Bretonnian army, a modest Dwarf Army, a tonne of Sisters of Battle, and a large Imperial Guard force all fully painted).

I don't think I've ever met a person who was happy that they sold off an army unless they started with the intent to do so. It's a shame the interest in the hobby is waning for you, but like many have said here, it'll probably return sometime in the future. Keep what you've got.

Yeah, I'll just chip in that I sold my Tau a while back, got a pittance for them, then had to rebuy myself a tau army when the hobby bug kicked in. Again, I'll just echo what has already been said. By all means, take a break from 40k, and get your stuff sorted, but don't sell your armies, I wish you all the best Sox, and hope to see you round these parts in the near future.

God Bless.

Dallo

***click*** No Guardsman goes AWOL on my watch!

Call it a temporary leave of absence ;)

Keep popping in to check out what is happening here as it may help to rekindle your interest at some point...

Like others have said, selling of miniatures may be a huge mistake. Better to leave a few select ones on display to remind you of the time and effort you put into the hobby and just box the remainder up somewhere safe just in case the bug returns in the future.

Whatever you decide, I wish you every success in finding what you seek.

The Emperor protects

I'll also chime in with the recommendation you box up your models (keeping some of the best on display is a great idea, Elmo and store them away for when the hobby attracts you again.

I was out of the hobby for ten years myself, during which my parents sold off my hundreds of minis. Things are now considerably more expensive!

Also, with a young child I haven't gamed in over 2 years now but I see this time as an opportunity to build up my armies for when I can game again.

Keep visiting here if you can, and you may well see your inspiration kindled once more.

Read some 40k (or WHFB...or other sci-fi of fantasy) novels.

You'll be missed and you'll always be welcome round here. :)

What an incredible show of support everyone! I am touched by your words and advice! This really is a special bunch, and I will heed the words of wisdom and put my army in a box til the time comes.

It's tough when my other 40K friends are pursuing other hobbies too, its like we've all collectively given up.

I know this is a cycle, as once upon a time I had a huge space marine force, and an all scout army (100+ scouts). I sold them all off (which I regret) and won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again everyone smile.png

Dereliction of duty is punishable by death, making the commissariat sad is punishable by extra death! There is no punishment for selling your army though, because the punishment comes in the form of the immense regret you feel later...

So yes, don't sell your army as it usually ends badly. As for gaming, I struggle to get in games lately and don't play nearly as much as I want but such is life sometimes. Instead I get my 40k fix by pestering all of you on the B&C laugh.png So keep regular visits up as I'm sure the spark will reignite after seeing so many WIPs and interesting topics, plus there's the Big Guns challenge msn-wink.gif

Sorry to hear of your predicament. I have been there myself, I sold my Ork army keeping my Marine one, though downsized the units I never use. (Including a load of scout bikers before the latest codex and rule sets made them much more useful.)

I play rarely now, due to work and kids and usual opponents moving on and others having commitments of their own.

Don't sell and the spark should reignite soon enough.

Maybe finding a model that you love the look of and that you know you could do a great paint job may help?

Captain Sox, don't you have a really nicely painted Valkyrie?

Please don't let it be sold for scrap metal!

I was so inspired with all those awesome flyers in the Treads & Thrusters campaign I added one to my xmas list. Here's hoping Santa delivers tongue.png

Seriously, I can also add my regret to getting rid of quite a few figure assortments. It was some time before the advent of 'Allies' became what it is now under 7th edition but I still think of them occasionally. They could have been great additions under the rules changes that came about.

Unless you really need the money, or space, hang onto them a little longer to be certain how you feel. Costs keep going up, and time invested in painting miniatures is not always able to be repeated later on. Good luck with the decision, but you do see a pattern in this thread hey msn-wink.gif

A bit late to this, but I can echo the lamentations of people I know, don't sell your army! I still miss my horribly put-together Mordor Orcs army I had when I was 12, (but thankfully no-one plays LotR and it was painted and built horribly.)

A shame to see you leaving the hobby, but I'm sure you already know from everyone else here that the best thing to do is shelve the army for a bit and get on with what you need or want to do. Everyone goes through phases or cycles, and I'm not surprised you could get sick of the hobby, but also wouldn't be surprised if you got the inclination to come back to it some day.

Hobby burnout is a bummer.

I -and a lot of my wargamer mates - play a couple of systems, and that seems to stave off the hobby crash that comes every now and again.

I'd suggest picking up another game system and mucking about with it for a bit. You still get your wargaming fix, you meet some new people - some of which might still be positive about 40k - and your painting arm doesn't get all rusty!

My personal poison is Dystopian Wars from Spartan, but Horemachine, Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, and X-Wing are all good alternatives as well.

What an incredible show of support everyone! I am touched by your words and advice! This really is a special bunch, and I will heed the words of wisdom and put my army in a box til the time comes.

It's tough when my other 40K friends are pursuing other hobbies too, its like we've all collectively given up.

I know this is a cycle, as once upon a time I had a huge space marine force, and an all scout army (100+ scouts). I sold them all off (which I regret) and won't make that mistake again.

I've definitely found over the years that 40K does seem to attract a lot of really solid people and it's another of the factors that keeps drawing me back in if the fire ever burns down a bit.

I've experienced exactly what you have with my 40K friends disappearing -- in my case they all moved away to other provinces, and with a wife and four children to take care of I don't have time to go seeking out new friends. But I am satisfied with my one-per-year 40K "binge" with Astronomi-con which is great because it focusses a lot on the hobby aspect and not so much on tabletop wins.

Hope the flames get rekindled soon. Make sure you have your profile set to send you an email when someone PM's you -- I will definitely drop you a line if I am back in Winnipeg to visit the family and will bring one of my armies with me.

I've definitely found over the years that 40K does seem to attract a lot of really solid people and it's another of the factors that keeps drawing me back in if the fire ever burns down a bit.

I've experienced exactly what you have with my 40K friends disappearing -- in my case they all moved away to other provinces, and with a wife and four children to take care of I don't have time to go seeking out new friends. But I am satisfied with my one-per-year 40K "binge" with Astronomi-con which is great because it focusses a lot on the hobby aspect and not so much on tabletop wins.

Hope the flames get rekindled soon. Make sure you have your profile set to send you an email when someone PM's you -- I will definitely drop you a line if I am back in Winnipeg to visit the family and will bring one of my armies with me.

I'll still be "active" on the B&C so no worries there. I just can't muster the interest to put paint to brush, to model.

This isn't the first time I took a break, and I know I'll be back. Just in a funk.

laugh.png

Cpt. Sox, you're one of the guys who keeps putting the fire in me. All of the good local painters are very elitist about it and much of what gets painted online just makes me feel inadequate as a hobbiest. Somehow your posting don't. They allow me to see such wonderful, high end painting while allowing me to feel like I could someday work at the same standard.

Hobby burnout happens. Stay cool, don't sell (we all have out horror stories there), and don't stay gone too long. You'll be missed.

Cpt. Sox, you're one of the guys who keeps putting the fire in me. All of the good local painters are very elitist about it and much of what gets painted online just makes me feel inadequate as a hobbiest. Somehow your posting don't. They allow me to see such wonderful, high end painting while allowing me to feel like I could someday work at the same standard.

Hobby burnout happens. Stay cool, don't sell (we all have out horror stories there), and don't stay gone too long. You'll be missed.

Thanks for the very kind words! That really means a lot to another hobbyist. I Won't be gone long... I'm having trouble boxing up my models. They are like "why don't you love me anymore" as I attempt to put them away? laugh.png

I'm glad to be doing my bit by posting up mediocre models lib... laugh.png

The Emperor is speaking to you by making it hard to pack them away... Maybe you need a big project to get your teeth into, or something different perhaps? All you have to do is find out what it is - that's the hard part. For example here's some new things that'll keep me entertained:

gallery_30308_3239_48138.jpg

msn-wink.gif

Oooooooooooh, a Knight! Looking forward to that!

I still have a pile of Tau I haven't touched in six months. I palyed them for a year and loved them, and still feel a bit bad about not using them, but I just don't feel like playing them anymore, not with my Guard as another option.

That said, they could make a fun Kill Team...

Not as much as I am! laugh.png It's understandable that your Tau would wither, how can anything compete with the awesomeness that is Guard? msn-wink.gif

Kill Team is another excellent idea Coffee, I've got the snap fits above to experiment with colour schemes for a small Chaos Kill Team list. Maybe a small project could be what you need sox? Something completely different with no need to expand upon unless you really wanted to.

Sorry to hear that Sox, I'm too on a break right now hence my more or less absence at the B&C since Threads and thrusters. I too haven't played a game with the 7:th edition, I don't even own a copy of it. I however can get a game anytime, it's just a little more than an hours drive to my LGC. This things happens from time to time. I don't know what works for you but some good books from BL can sometimes spark an interest and get me going again. But Sox you know what, a break isn't always a bad thing, because someday when you read something or see something (like new models, new rules or something else) you get this feeling of renewed energy and get very enthusiastic, so much so that you will dive into your boxes and unpack your models. I think we all have had that feeling, and it is a great shortlived onesmile.png

I will of course take a break from my break when Big guns never tire starts. I haven't missed a Guard challenge since this great subforum was added to B&C. If I haven't signed up when it starts it would mean a great deal to me if some kind person would send me a PM so I don't miss it.

There is no punishment for selling your army though, because the punishment comes in the form of the immense regret you feel later...

I know exatcly what you talking about. I have mentioned my Valhallan army before, my biggest 40K mistake ever. I mean I hade every model, even the rare ones you can't find on e-bay ramble ramble ramble REGRETcry.gif

I'm glad to be doing my bit by posting up mediocre models lib... laugh.png

The Emperor is speaking to you by making it hard to pack them away... Maybe you need a big project to get your teeth into, or something different perhaps? All you have to do is find out what it is - that's the hard part. For example here's some new things that'll keep me entertained:

gallery_30308_3239_48138.jpg

msn-wink.gif

You WILL love every minute you spend with that Knight. Such a fun kit. I like the cameo appearance of the Union Jack Mug!

Archived