Does anybody have experience building the new Contemptor Jumponought yet? From pictures on the website and a few less than ideal Google images of parts it looks to me like the jump pack is a separate piece from the power plant. Does anybody know if the power plant looks normal without the jump pack assembled? For us 40k types that might mean we could have two unique Blood Angels Relic Contemptor models which would be neat, even without the jump/claw rules.

Yes, i can confirm the jump pack comes separately and the power plant looks normal underneath.

Edited by m0nolith

Does anybody have experience building the new Contemptor Jumponought yet? From pictures on the website and a few less than ideal Google images of parts it looks to me like the jump pack is a separate piece from the power plant. Does anybody know if the power plant looks normal without the jump pack assembled? For us 40k types that might mean we could have two unique Blood Angels Relic Contemptor models which would be neat, even without the jump/claw rules.

Yes, i can confirm the jump pack comes separately and the power plant looks normal underneath.

Fantastic, thanks!

• 1 year later...

ujrCPbg6cnUDjuF9.jpg

rTMJNkLEOAuoGBSJ.jpg

Zephon, while not high-ranking, always seemed to find his way to the centre of the action. His body was shattered in battle just before the events of the Siege of Terra, and his extensive augmetic surgeries brought him into contact with a Tech-Priest by the name of Arkhan Land (yes, the very same man for whom the Land Raider and Land Speeder were named).

He fought alongside the Adeptus Custodes, was recruited by Malcador the Sigillite, and fought on the front lines of the siege, fearlessly protecting and inspiring the soldiers at every turn. This incredible model shows his unusual bionic limbs, as well as the grace and fury of the Blood Angels.

We couldn’t let Fafnir get all the attention now could we. Whilst his pose is a bit hunched up you can still get a good idea of the scale that the Heresy range is going with. Can’t wait for more!

I really like the Zephon's sculpt! Well maybe apart from the tacti-cool holster straps :P
Pose is nice. Bling is awesome (can't wait to get my hands on it... and mischievously spread it around my units :D )! I even like his thick features. While not that "angelic" I feel they really capture the overall massiveness Astartes are described to have.

• 5 months later...

Nothing out of the ordinary/different that I can see vs. leaked rules. Going from +1 to wound all the time to only charging is difficult to stomach; especially with all the reactions other legions get that allow them to charge before us. That said, we have access to bayonets, chainswords and stuff so technically not as big a deal as before.

In my test game with the leaked rules, I was blunted a few times by reactions so you should be wary of that when trying to set up charging.

Got to say the underwhelming rule previews compared to other legions so far doesn't fill me with confidence.

That being said, maybe we can hope for something that prevents some reactions against us when we charge?

pinning is the only way as it shuts down any reactions and forces snap shots. That said, anything that pins is defacto going to be in engagement range which means weathering at least a movement based reaction and shooting reactions.

Pinning is WAY more relevant but just as hard to get it working. Night lords shine with this since they affect leadership directly. 

Edited by Spagunk

Got to say the underwhelming rule previews compared to other legions so far doesn't fill me with confidence.

That being said, maybe we can hope for something that prevents some reactions against us when we charge?

pinning is the only way as it shuts down any reactions and forces snap shots. That said, anything that pins is defacto going to be in engagement range which means weathering at least a movement based reaction and shooting reactions.

Pinning is WAY more relevant but just as hard to get it working. Night lords shine with this since they affect leadership directly. 

Depending on what HQs youd be willing to run:

Rotor Cannons (Shell Shocked (1)), Night Fighting (-1LD unless nuncio vox), Legion Herald (Fear(1)) means you can force pinning checks at -3. If you also include a Vigilator with their 72" Rending (2+), Shell Shocked (2) and Sniper (all wounds being precision shots), you can then force squads to take Pinning checks at -4 during Night Fighting in a Fear Bubble.

But, its expensive to pull off and has lots of moving parts.

Rotor Cannons (Shell Shocked (1)), Night Fighting (-1LD unless nuncio vox), Legion Herald (Fear(1)) means you can force pinning checks at -3. If you also include a Vigilator with their 72" Rending (2+), Shell Shocked (2) and Sniper (all wounds being precision shots), you can then force squads to take Pinning checks at -4 during Night Fighting in a Fear Bubble.

Just as hard as in "You gotta fit in these units as a tax to really go into it" not necessarily from a lack of units.

Just as hard as in "You gotta fit in these units as a tax to really go into it" not necessarily from a lack of units.

Is it really a tax, though, if it prevents your enemy from taking reactions and locking down a units ability to counterplay yours? Like I said, depends on what youre willing to run.

Is it really a tax, though, if it prevents your enemy from taking reactions and locking down a units ability to counterplay yours? Like I said, depends on what youre willing to run.

I think it is a tax since I usually want those slots and points to add assault support people for the main assault units. 

Your standard FOC gives you 3 HQ: 2 of those 3 are now dedicated to shutting down reactions (Herald + MoS and/or Vigilator) leaving you only one HQ that actually attaches to your assault. That is a hefty tax to me. So now you have to pick your one remaining slot for the most effective person to help out assault or dedicate to helping out shooting. 

Nothing STOPS you from foregoing that tax or going light but it increases your risk that any assault will hit like a feather or die on arrival.

IDK, we'll see how it all goes. Lord knows there are enough supplemental consuls they can pull to make the decision a bit easier/harder but it just seems like early reviews are going to be skewed for a bit till someone gets bored.

Anecdotally, my buddy felt the power of MoS which pulled its weight hard core to blank out the Night Lord's bonuses during night fighting. The unit was such a powerhouse against general leadership shenanigans. I didn't realize how good it was as I was just using the guy to give +1 to my angel's tears assault cannons and grenade launchers :teehee: .

Edited by Spagunk

Ramblings:

It would be worth reading how you can tool up a Herald, tbh, because I think you might be underestimating them. Besides, if you want their negative LD modifier to come into play, he needs to be within 12" of your target(s) so you might as well make him punchy.

The standard alone makes units within 6" LD 10 for non-psychic related Morale and Pinning checks - great for stopping your own dudes from getting pinned and makes him and his unit scoring. With otherwise no restrictions on the gear he can take beyond having to swap one of his weapons for the Standard you can do quite a bit.

The way the Herald shuts down reactions is just by using his Passive Fear(1) aura; other than that, he can do whatever he wants. Sure, if hes surrounded only by units locked in different combats he can only affect the one hes participating in but anything that isnt locked into a combat hes not in within 12" is taking the -LD penalty.

Consider that if you deepstrike a Legion Herald, unless you mishap, you have a 12" Radius bubble you can place for -1LD then place your other units dropping in with him such that youre tagging quite a lot of stuff with pinning checks during the Movement Phase. Downside is youre opening up yourself to a lot of Interceptor.

Then you can tag them again in the Shooting phase; although thats limited by the amount of shooting with pinning you have access to.

That really just leaves the Vigilator as the only HQ choice here who isn't either providing direct buffs to units (MoS/Libby/PM) or being a murdermachine themselves (Praetor, Champion/Chaplain/Forgelord). But, having the ability to, each turn, basically remove 1W models of your choice from a squad isnt something to sleep on. Sniping a Heart of the Legion squads apothecary out of the unit before they get to an objective and hunker down with a 4+ FNP will be rather juicy.

+++

I guess this all, really, just boils down to how you'll be building your Blood Angels and if this is something you want to leverage in any way. Its definitely not a plug-and-play option, imho.

Yeah the announcement killed any possible interest I had, which was already iffy at best. Not sure why forgeworld seem to dislike blood angels lol

Pure speculation but pretty certain there are no blood angel players on the FW team. All the other modelers/games devs post mostly traitor stuff with a few loyalist stuff. I imagine "we" don't have representation largely within FW/GW in a very general sense.

Edited by Spagunk

Wouldn’t be surprised, the members of the team I knew and played with a bit years ago were mostly traitors but not all of them. Blood Angels seemed to get sneers from at least one of them even back then tbh.

Seriously, we're playing the "I don't like the rules teases, FW must hate us" card?

/boggle

You're putting words in our mouth. I am not saying they HATE us, I am saying we don't have a cheer squad at FW. For instance: Andy Hoare is a HUGE fan of Emperor's children and though it doesn't translate into a OP chapter it does mean a bit more attention is paid to things, even if it's a slight better paint job or maybe rules that have a bit more internal balance.

It's a subtle thing but my point is we just kinda exist in the eyes of FW. They know BA are popular but their own view points colors how much attention they give on the great things about BA, even if it's fluff/minor stuff.

Edit: To clarify, I mean in the "We get it that you like BA even if our team don't understand why." type of thing, not a complete "We don't get it at all" type of thing.

Edited by Spagunk

And what I said was purely based on some experience playing with at least one member of the FW team in the past, based on comments they made.

I do think the larger issue is as spagunk said, it’s more an issue of lacking a “superfan” or “champion” for the chapter on the team. Death guard always end up good, probably because they do have fans on the team, same is true of a few other legions too.

Well I just realized Blood Angels tacticals should NEVER be allowed to charge if they have bayonets.

B7qEBIt.png

o75OIJM.png

So with +1S they're swinging at S5 which means they wound MEQ on a 3+ which stacks with their "wound at 1 better" trait to wound other MEQ on a 2+. Honestly I understand why they got a slight nerf.

In the leaked documents bayonets are 1ppm and chain bayonets are 2ppm.

Yes, that is a correct assessment.

I posit that, as a charging legion, you want more attacks so the extra 5pts to go with a chainsword is worth it vs. 1-2pts for bayonets. But I think shred is statistically about the same as an extra attack so either go swords or chain bayonet.

But you're not locked into only having one or the other. You could theoretically have like 5-10 with swords and the other half with bayonets. Something to consider.

(Edit: yes, I'm aware chainswords also get shred. My point was more that the extra points aren't as harsh since BA want the highest quality attacks and lots of them.)
(Edit Edit: forgot that chainswords are all or nothing while bayonets are any. So a little harder decision but still a good one for BA)

Edited by Spagunk

https://imgur.io/a/IBjRhcO

I hope the link works, I just ran across these.

Of important note is the dark emissary which has limitiations, cant use a spatha bike or a warhawk jump pack or scimitar jet bike....now I know we have scimitar jet bikes but iv never heard of the spatha combat bike or warhawk jump pack, so one can infer a new model type coming soon? .

I mean they do have to eventually make models for generic assault squads with jump packs right?

Hey guys I removed the link...im not to sure if I was allowed to post it in the first place. Until a mod oks it I will keep it off.

Takes a lot of effort to sift through as it's all jumbled, but the leaks can be found there should anyone have a few minutes.

Also, it seems I can't run assault cannon Attack Bikes anymore. I used to love giving them one of those and a melta bomb, haha.

Okay, I'm in - I'm just begining my first Blood Angels army.

Got some FW heads on order and just picked up a Death Company kit for some nice conversion bits. Age of Darkness is a must-buy for me so I've pretty much got an army once I pick that up (So excited!).

One quick question for the Legion Veterans about Inferno pistols - I'd be fine using the 40K ones in the Death Company kit, right? I'm not one for religious adherance to the lore but I like to be broadly correct.