Three Lists of RavenGuard 2000pts

Tiger9gamer

Alright so I have been sitting on these lists for a while and while they are all basically the same, I want to know which one is the best.

List 1: Maun and a drop pod-

Warlord: Strike Captain Alvarex Maun (Cameoline?, Decapitating strike)-145pts

HQ: Centurion Siege Breaker ( Artificer Armor, combi-weapon)-115pts

Troop 1: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-260pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, Power weapon, Bolter)

-Apothecary (Artificer armor, Augery Scanner)-60pts

Troop 2: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-260pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, Power weapon, Bolter)

-Apothecary-45pts

Troop 3: Legion Tactical Support Squad (x8 Marines, Volkite charger, Rhino Carrier)-250pts

-Legion Sergeant (artificer armor, Charger)

-Apothecary (Artificer Armor, Volkite Charger)-65pts

Elite 1: Apothecary Detachment (distributed as followed)-170pts

Elite 2: Legion Rapier Battery (x3 Laser destroyers)-165pts

F/A 1: Javelin Attack speeder (x2 speeders)-150pts

F/A 2: Javelin Attack speeder (x2 speeders)-150pts

F/A 3: Legion Seeker squad (x7 Seeker Marines, x7 Combi-weapons, Drop pod)

-Seeker Sergeant (combi-weapon)

So this list is my basic one. the seekers get dropped within 18" of mauv in the deep strike bubble, and hopefully busts a tank or maybe a monsterous creature or something.  Troop 3 drives around taking down squishy targets, and every thing does what they look like they do.

List 2: Stationary with autocannons

Warlord: Legion Praetor (decapitation strike, Artificer armor, Volkite Carger, Iron halo, Camoline, Paragon blade)-165pts

HQ: Centurion Siege Breaker ( Artificer Armor)-105pts

Troop 1: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-255pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, heavy chainsword, Bolter)

-Apothecary (Artificer armor)-55pts

Troop 2: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-255pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, Heavy Chainsword, Bolter)

-Apothecary-45pts

Troop 3: Legion Tactical Support Squad (x9 Marines, Volkite Calivers)-250pts

-Legion Sergeant (artificer armor, Caliver, infravisor)

-Apothecary (Artificer Armor, Augury Scanner)-60pts

Elite 1: Apothecary Detachment (distributed as followed)-160pts

Elite 3: Legion Rapier (thudd-cannon)-60pts

H/S: Legion Heavy Support Squad (x9 Marines, Autocannons/Missile Launcher)-295pts

-Legion sergeant (artificer armor, autocannons)

So this list is more Stationary with troop 3 and the H/S staying there providing fire support to take down tanks, the Support squad augmented by the centurion. I think this list is good, but I don't know how it would be play tasted.

List 3: OH GOD A STEALTHY TYPHON -BOOM-

Warlord: Legion Praetor (decapitation strike, Artificer armor, Volkite Carger, Iron halo, Camoline, Paragon blade, digital weapons)-170pts

Troop 1: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-260pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, power sword, Bolter)

-Apothecary (Artificer armor)-55pts

Troop 2: Legion Tactical squad ( x14 Tactical marines, Vexilla, Additional weapons)-260pts

-Legion Sergeant (Artificer Armor, power sword, Bolter)

-Apothecary-45pts

Troop 3: Legion Tactical Support Squad (x9 Marines, Volkite Calivers)-250pts

-Legion Sergeant (artificer armor, Caliver, infravisor)

-Apothecary (Artificer Armor, Augury Scanner)-60pts

Elite 1: Apothecary Detachment (distributed as followed)-160pts

Elite 3: Legion Rapier (thudd-cannon)-60pts

Lord Of War: Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (armored ceramite)-370pts

The final list features the Typhon as the main tank buster/fire support as it's a str 10 ignores cover cannon!!! I always wanted one of these... So why not add it?

I've read the wording on this over and over since Betrayal dropped... but I don't think Seeker Strike Leaders (sarge) can take Combi-Weapons.  It only gives the options to "Seeker Space Marines."  It's weird, and is a minor difference to Sternguard.

I've read the wording on this over and over since Betrayal dropped... but I don't think Seeker Strike Leaders (sarge) can take Combi-Weapons.  It only gives the options to "Seeker Space Marines."  It's weird, and is a minor difference to Sternguard.

hmm, it's the deathwing sergeant conundrum again... eh it would save me 10 points or something if I didnt put it on them. 

anyways how is the typhon list as I can't stop thinking about giant tanks for some reason.

They all seem like ambush oriented lists, which I like.

The first one has the highest single-target damage with Seekers in a pod. If placed in a good spot initially they can tear through sections of an army. Especially when supported by the speeders. The downside is that they lack mobility once deployed. So initial placement is crucial and can be mitigated by an opponent.

The second list has good coverage and field of fire. I'm guess for this list, and all of them really, you'll be infiltrating your Tac marines to nab objectives when needed.

The third one if probably your best bet. The Typhon will draw fire and erase units giving your infiltrated tacs and outflanking speeders some breathing room. It goes for the hard targets while the rest preys upon the outer elements.

Thanks =D yes, they are all based around infiltration so inquisition would shut this down, but on the plus side everything else is fine! Don't know if I would outflank the speeders or just have them on the field, as they can add quite high firepower for the army. I'm thinking of getting rid of one squadron for a sicaran or scorpios though, just for heavier firepower I'm thinking.

The typhon has always caught my eye so I would use it in both 30k and 40k. I guess it's my inner imperial fist talking happy.png I just don't know how it would do on a battlefield as I have nowhere near this amount of stuff. but hey I can give theoreticals at least.

I took a closer look at the Typhon and I can see why you like it so much. At first I was worried about the 24" range when moving bit but then I realized it can move 12" and fire normally so it's effectively 36" vs 48" which is still quite good. And being a SH it has Move Through Cover. Plus it's cost is appealing.

Fluff-wise I can easily see, thanks to it's close size to a LR, it being combat-dropped in to apply force to a critical point on the enemies front line.

I'm looking at my Spartan and honestly considering making a removable "face-plate" that would cover up the front HB and door with a cannon sitting inside it so when I'm not using a Spartan I can use a Typhon myself.

As for the list; you have a lot of deployment options with things. Which makes for a versatile list.

see! the fluff isnt that crazy! besides I'm betting that the RG have some sort of stealth engines or something.  the 12" is something new though. how can it do that? 

model wise I'm thinking of making a regular land raider into an ares by plasticard and tubing, just so save some $$ 

It's a vehicle. All vehicles can move 12" unless otherwise stated. 6" is combat speed, 12" is cruising speed which normally affects how many weapons can fire on the vehicle. Though since it's a super heavy it can move 12" and fire everything, and split fire.

If Corax can turn titans invisible with his stealth tech I'm sure sneaking in a Typhon isn't far-fetched.

Oh i guess so! i was under the impression they could only move 6" with an SH, so my bad.

Anyways, should I bother with the extra CCW or just get more guys? I have 30 tacticals atm in this list but I could use more if needed.

It can. It's all in how you use them. If you pod down next to Maun you get Counter Attack. So when something like normal Tacs charge you they have 1 base and 1 extra for charging, but you have 2 base and 1 extra for Counter Attack. Or if you infiltrate close and get a Fury of the Legion off but get charged. Or you Fury'd last turn and can't shoot but are in charge range(Don't forget Fleet). That extra attack goes a long way.

The basic rule of "don't bite off more than you can chew" still apply, but with good planning and positioning you can have a net of fire from the tacs to lure in and pick off things or go on the offensive. Use them to take out the enemies support and normal tacs while your Typhon takes out the big bad things. Over-extending is always a danger with these kind of lists. You can bring a lot of pain to key points or overwhelming power to a single point. It's just determining which one and which targets or target so you don't leave yourself open. Unless of course it is a feint.

The effect of Extra CCW on Tac Marines is always a good thing to strongly consider if you know they'll be in the thick of things and not more back-than-midfield support.

Its most visibly noticeable on large Tac Blobs. Base, the Blob has 21 Attacks (2 on the sarge, iirc) but with extra CCW that jumps up to 41. If you DS them in from a Storm Eagle or Kharybdis next to Maun (only way to get 20 marines in that fast :p ) and gain counter attack, it jumps to 61 if my basic math isn't bad.

Granted, thats a ~500 point investment for that but, hey.

I completely forgot that graviton cannons existed. they are not imploders are they? and how many points would they be over lasers?

And personally the sicaran looks really good but the str8 barrage looks like a thing of beauty for taking down chimeras, battlewagons, predators and other stuff as it will hit on side armor.

Graviton Cannons are *checks books* 35 points each but, on top of being Haywire, Cause Dangerous and Difficult Terrain within the 5" Blast that lasts until your next turn.

So: Its a good Area Denial option and Hullpoint stripper as well.

Archived