The NEW "What will 2014 Bring?" thread

Xenith

So is it confirmed they ditched TDA Priests??  I've got 5 of them, but only one painted.  I can salvage the other four if I need to.

No it is not confirmed, but the source seems reasonable.

Damn.  Not a big loss though:

My High Priest can easily be converted to a Librarian.  My Honor Guard priest can be turned into a Captain.  The other two can easily be turned into regular Assault Termies.  Pretty much all I have to do is ditch the Narth arms and swap them out with combies and shields.  The only thing is the latter two have what I've been calling "Thunder Scalpels".  I'm pretty sure I can get away with counting them as TH since that's what I used to convert them.

Not to be the sour-puss, but guys come on...  if you haven't play 7E or read the 7E rulebook, then stop bashing the new codex because, quite honestly, your info on the game is dated.

Most people that have played or experimented with 7E formations will tell you:

1) They aren't difficult to understand, and

2) They are a lot of fun....more options is a good thing!

Formations and detachments are a fundamental part of 7E. The longer a codex is out, the more detachments will be released. Take Tyranids as an example, they've been out just under a year and there have been five supplements and dozens of dataslates/formations released. The formations add tons of list building and customization options. They are all optional, so no one is forcing you to purchase these supplements, but if you decide to, you're given more options to experiment with. 

It has already started for BA. The death storm box includes a new formation and data sheets for new units. Take the whole formation in your list, use the specific units in a different detachment, or ignore the campaign book completely and stick to the base codex. The choice is yours. Don't like having you DC dread in an elite slot? No problem, play "Cassor the Damned" instead and gain a DC dread that is a troop unit. 

If you don't understand 7E rules and the FoC changes, questions are great...ask away. But please, don't poo-poo all over the new BA 'dex if you haven't even played 7E...you just sound silly and give the whole community a bad name =p.

"I remember when you could get two rhinos in one box for $12US and you had to walk up hill in the snow both ways to play 40K and Hours was just a bunch of cells in a test tube."

+grumpy old man mode - activated+

Three, it was three rhinos in one box... and it was £15 if I remember correctly dry.png

Predators and Landraiders, now those came in two-packs sonny!

Darn whippersnappers ....

*incoherent mumbling*

ZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz

+grumpy old man mode - deactivated+

Furioso still being being +1 AV is great news. The lost attack is easily made up for by the extra strength and primaris bonus!

I'll need to email GW about an alternative for reclusiarch regarding FW relic units. Got a major tourny 5 weeks away and that one thing alone could totally ruin it for me :(

Exactly my thought a couple of pages back. It's a strange omission given how recent the FW SM book was released, but the only reasoning I can think of is that the HQ section is looking pretty beefy for choices now (allegedly), and if Astorath does what a Reclusiarch used to do regarding DC, then the Rec probably had to go. FW aren't eactly swift with their FAQs even though they do get them done, and you'd need to e-mail FW rather than G-dub.

Let me know what they say ;) 

Although it still feels new the book is over a year old which in this edition of 40k is a long time, you can't really blame them for not foreseeing this change, (though they're usually pretty good about this stuff so a quick email should sort it)

Guys, I am baffled by some of the negative comments.

This codex, from what I've read and knowing about points reduction to match vanilla marines, is far superior to the old.

Yes, some army builds no longer function, it's a new book and it's going to be different. Accept that fact

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hkmVyeuNXEY/T7v2e7P8ftI/AAAAAAAAAA0/FHyMqpF38U0/s1600/smiley-570x300.jpg

This is what this thread is in the sea that is the Internet! Yay B&C!

Lol, I shall vanish into the night in that case.

I'll say this however, I recently started and have almost completed a gk army - I fancied some cc focused marines.

The new BA look far superior and more well rounded!

One of the things that makes this particular forum good is the attitude of our fellow generals. There will always be one or two that toss the Bolter out of the Stormraven but the majority of us are aware that things will change and at the end of the day it doesn't matter as we are here to play C:BA not C:Bandwagon and besides, everything is awesome! cheaper!

I was curious: that relic jump pack mentioned a few pages down in this thread....what does it do exactly? Re-roll what when DS? My English isn't too bad but that sentence was kinda not making any sense to me. Can anyone explain?^_^

Thanks in advance.

Snorri

I think it is reroll the deepstrike scatter and prevents or limits interceptor fire.

Could be nice for killing riptides I hate the plasma template interceptor.

I was curious: that relic jump pack mentioned a few pages down in this thread....what does it do exactly? Re-roll what when DS? My English isn't too bad but that sentence was kinda not making any sense to me. Can anyone explain?happy.png

Thanks in advance.

Snorri

I think it is reroll the deepstrike scatter and prevents or limits interceptor fire.

Could be nice for killing riptides I hate the plasma template interceptor.

Take a librarian with the relic backpack and put him in a command squad with packs and 5 gravguns. Season with psychic powers. Serve cold.

Went to bed, then back down for one last rumor check, glad i did! Curious what WS the Libby dread will have.. list building is looking alot more fun in the near future! 

I'm going nuts trying to build a list.  So much stuff I want to try out.

BSF detachment:

1 x HQ

* Furioso Librarian in Pod

4 x Elites

* 4 x Dreadnoughts in Pods

2 x Troops

* 2 x Tactials in Pods or Scouts

Looks fun?

BSF detachment:

1 x HQ

* Furioso Librarian in Pod

4 x Elites

* 4 x Dreadnoughts in Pods

2 x Troops

* 2 x Tactials in Pods or Scouts

Looks fun?

Then add in a CAD full of Dreads too :p

I'm pretty sure it's going to be 4 to 6 elites. but if you want dread crazy

2x libby dreads

6x furiosos dreads

1x cassor the dammed

1xscout squad

3x fast attack drop pods

all the Dreads in lucious pattern pods....smile.png

Perhaps, but it's still 75 points for what is essentially a three HP AV12 shield. You're still going to assault in turn two at the earliest so it depends if you think the extra 40 points are worth it.

My problem with the move of DC, DC Dread,  and ASM out of Troops is that I went from having a plethora of troop choices (multiple differing Sergeants built, tons of built options to choose from), to having 10 Tactical marines and 7 Scouts to fill my mandatory 2 Troops slots with.  Without a major rebuild project, I'm fielding an underwhelming core, or going Unbound.

I wonder if Flamestorm cannons got the Torrent makeover similar to the Inferno Cannons on the Hellhounds did?

So here's a thought as for an approach to this -

Start list off with Corbulo in a 9 man bolter DC squad with various power weapons in a drop pod. Take 2 ten man tac squads with 1 heavy flamer and 1 melta gun in each squad and the sarge with a power sword, both in drop pods.

Drop 1 tac squad and corb's squad first turn right next to enemy. Blast away for happiness. Next turn, assault with both squads (with corb's switching to the tac squad) and use all the combat benefits like +1 WS/I/S to mop up stragglers while still using the heavy flamer and melta gun (combat squad where needed). Drop down last pod whenever possible and have them support these squads.

Or sub out corb's/DC with a Libby dread in a pod for an HQ choice and try to use buffs or debuffs from psychic powers.

Fill out list with other fun things like land raiders and Baal spam to soak up fire and push up.

Rinse, repeat.

My problem with the move of DC, DC Dread,  and ASM out of Troops is that I went from having a plethora of troop choices (multiple differing Sergeants built, tons of built options to choose from), to having 10 Tactical marines and 7 Scouts to fill my mandatory 2 Troops slots with.  Without a major rebuild project, I'm fielding an underwhelming core, or going Unbound.

I don't think you need a major rebuild project. You already have a tac squad and some scouts. Just buy one of the new tac squad boxes and build yourself a nice 10-man squad with the heavy flamer and you're good to go. Magnetize the sergeant if you want more build options. Additionally, if you want to minimize the troops in your list, just take two 5-man tac squads each with a flakk missile launcher and camp them both on some backfield objectives to earn VPs and provide cheap anti-air. 

Also, just to point it out, you're forgetting some of the troops options:

1) tac squad

2) scout squad

3) "Cassor the Damned":  DC dread from the deathstorm datasheet, fills troop slot

4) "Raphen's Death Company":  5-man DC unit w/ jumppacks (1x TH, 1x power sword, 1s inferno pistol, and 1x PF), fills troops slot

Archived