Wow I love your minis! Especially the captain with the Sicarius feel. Absolutely stunning.

You are a very gifted painter!

I especially love the way you have made the powersword shimmer and it's sheen!

Thank you very much guys.

I greatly appreciate the comments... it keeps me grinding! Well not grinding, but you know how it is...

I have been working on several models at once, and hopefully coming to a conclusion on a lot of them since I am trying something a bit different for my painting process (basically doing larger squads or multiple squads of similar types and going through 'steps' with them.)

So my hopes is I'll have a fairly large update shortly.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go: Ultramarines Assault Squad..... finally some updates. As previously mentioned I have a lot of Ultra's in various states, but since all my base coats are now airbrushed, it takes longer to complete a model.

I'm super happy about these guys and they are far funner to paint than play! ;) It's a fantastic kit, and the poses can be extremely dynamic. I held off until getting some of the Chapter Upgrade Sprues before finishing this off.

gallery_2760_10216_123121.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_196650.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_127252.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_35209.jpggallery_2760_10216_43831.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_164153.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks a ton for the kind words brothers!

I'm getting some good stuff done as I'm finishing the Orath Ulramarine arch. (really fun story arch).

Power Sword? Why not Power Axe?

But they look really good!

- Thanks . I have never found assault marines to be particularly effective... at assault. Considering he's a one wound chap with no real cc advantage, I prefer to keep him at initiative in close combat.. he's never going to survive a challenge otherwise.

- This squad is basically a long distance vehicle protector, anti pod, and objective grabber for Maelstrom. The dual flamer is good enough usually but they do fulfill the 'Demi-Co' requirement (I'm not a fan of the single attack bike unless doing Battle Co.)

- That sergeant dude basically represents a basic close combat weapon, but in games where I can give him a bit more points, he will turn into a Vet, perhaps with that power weapon. But for the most part the glowy sword just ends up being a CC weapon. ;)

What a difference the upgrade kit makes!
Wonderful paint job, once again :-D

- Thanks Ishagu- you're right that upgrade kit is fantastic. I love it, and ended up buying about 4 of them. :)

I'm trying to complete another 10 tacticals to add to my army, and their all getting an 'upgrade' pad!

• 1 month later...

From book 3 of the Ultramarines Trilogy Plague Harvest Books: Armour of Faith. This is my take on Chaplain Sentina. I was inspired to complete this guy for my Gladius Battle Company and found plenty of motivation from this character. :)

med_gallery_2760_10216_82475.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_45566.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_12736.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_13819.jpg

Thanks for looking. I guess it's time to roll out the Battle Co!

I am currently re-touching my Ultramarines limited Termie Captain to act in the Strike Force Ultra, or a CAD.

Thank you guys.

Finally, I'd like to present Captain Proteous. He is the limited captain from Strike Force Utltra.

I have reworked him in whole are in part more times than I care to remember. His right arm is magnetized and thus has 'chopping action' with the hammer! But more importantly I can swap it out for the Stormbolter arm.

med_gallery_2760_10216_89587.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_2118.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_52795.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_71977.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_25278.jpg

Captain Proteus leads the Task Force Ultra on most missions, however there history is littered with the slain bodies of chaos as their mantra is to never forget the betrayal of Calth. When Chaos is involved Proteus is first to the fray with his strike force, and access to many of the armaments that survived the tragedy of Calth, including Sicaran tanks, Fire Raptors, Ancient Dreadnoughts, and of course the tools of Strike Force Ultra as mandated by Guilliman.

The tally of Chaos corpses is high, but the mission is tireless and without pause. Captain Proteus commands the his fleet from his flagship Flawless Gladius, an homage to the bladesmiths of ancient Calth. (An ancient ritual blade is fixed to the hip of Proteus). He also wears the artefact Shield of Calth (the Shield Eternal) upon his Terminator Armour.

Thanks for looking!

You're amassing a really great looking force, Prot! Captain Proteus looks very nice, you've done a great job on the blue in particular.

Thanks. This fig has been redone more than once. I spent an inordinate amount of time on every detail and he took far longer to finish than he looks.  He is my favorite Terminator model in the game right now (Draigo is a close second for me)....

The blues were definitely taken to a higher level than I normally do. I'm glad at least some of it shows!

Man those assault marines look sweeeeet! I need to get some, soon.

That kit is amazing. I need to get another one as I'm thinking a Battle Co would work well to have some non-jump pack variants with 'free' pod and dual flamers. 

Honestly it's just an excuse to do another box. The poses and sculpts of that kit are just fantastic. Combined with the Ultra upgrade kit and I think it's one of my favorite squads.

Thanks a lot for checking it out guys. I appreciate it.

Just had a really fun game with my first time getting away from a Demi-co and going to a full battle company against Orks.

The game came down to this and got a great pic of a final moment in the game. More to come...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/684e6835-1fbc-4e2d-8be9-b9b5bcd3eea4.jpg?t=1442066052

Edited by Prot

Thank you very much. The squad was just such a pleasure to paint, and for me.... I typically hate assembling models, but this is such a great, posable kit. They are screaming to get into battle with these dynamic poses. I want to do another squad.

I agree that they are an amazing kit!  How do you like using them in game though?  Is that the typical loadout you go with?

Thank you.

The only reason I'd use the Assault Marines is to fullfill the Gladius Demi Co requirement or in Skyhammer.

But I do use them a lot, and it's taken a while for them to go from disposable crud, to something that can make a difference. It feels I can't have them alone... or they die easily.  However, using a Chaplain with Jump Pack gives them a 'light tank', and since I've been trying that they are much better, and actually caused me to add an Eviscerator.

On another note....

I am grinding away at my Battle Company, These are WIP pictures from a game I just reported on (see post 1 for the link). But the idea is I'm trying to do an 'assembly line' process for 5 Razorback/Rhino's and 2 Stalkers + the Hunter for the Anti-Air Defense Auxiliary. It may not be the best formation but it does fill the void and it has a synergy with the Razorbacks.

So this is the WIP shot of most of them:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Eldar1%20Batrep/8BEE7C35-0B99-450E-BF1E-1CAA24309803.jpg

and again here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/Eldar1%20Batrep/B7410CC9-1319-486F-8665-2A03906F241D.jpg

I will be VERY happy when these are done as I've put a tremendous amount of time into them... I always hated painting massed vehicles like this, so I decided to try and just plow through them all at once. I'm not sure that was a great idea or not because of how sick I am of painting them! lol

But I'm probably a few 100 hours in if you include putting them together. Every day I try to put 2-4 hours into them.... I think they are about 75% done now, and can't wait to move off of them!

A cool post to share with you guys.

As you may or may not know, I actually don't like painting vehicles. I love getting into the character and 'mood' of an HQ, or even a basic marine, but vehicles I have trouble getting enthused about.

I had a large build up and backlog of Rhino's Razorbacks and you can see from my previous post they have been featured in a few batreps in various states of painting.

But it became a priority. I had to force myself to put down my mountain of Ultra-space marines, and FINISH some bloody vehicles. Namely since I get such a blast out of playing the Gladius Battle Company, I desperately wanted to actually field painted Razorbacks, and my Auxiliary; the Anti Air Defense Force. So without further babble.... I'm calling this one "done".

Just the Razorbacks (most turrets are interchangable with Forgeworld Turrets in the mail for flexibility):

med_gallery_2760_10216_281329.jpg

Another shot:

med_gallery_2760_10216_211110.jpg

More of the same, but the AADF auxiliary as well:

med_gallery_2760_10216_125023.jpg

On parade:

med_gallery_2760_10216_383198.jpg

I think they turned out good.... I pushed myself for quite a few weeks in a row to just get them done, and to a level where they fit in with the rest of the army! And now I can get back to some of the funner stuff!

Thanks for looking!