Well after finishing my Landraider, and "Theil" homage, I decided it was just time to finish some scouts for my 10th co.

I hadn't painted scouts in years... probably Dark Angel scouts about 5+ years ago. So I was kind of caught off guard all the bling they have which really slows things down.

Scout speeder is a difficult job as well, and the Scout bikes were a 'must' for my 10th Co.

gallery_2760_10216_330407.jpg

Thiel is just sexy, mate. So, so so....So sexy....

I also salute your airbrushing on the land raider. I am so picky with my airbrushing, I can never seem to get just the right shades of blue for my base and shading, so I know the time and effort that takes, great work! 

How, may I ask, did you magnetize the arms? Whenever I try to do things that small i just ruin the plastic. 

Such a shame the sergeant scout biker can't take a grenade launcher, am I right? :tongue.:

They look good. And not like clones since they have different hair colors, unlike my Raven Guard scouts. :teehee:

Yes, you're right and it's quite a shame (and slightly weird at the same time). I typically take a combimelta or a Meltabomb. In cheap games he's simply the first to die. lol

Thiel is just sexy, mate. So, so so....So sexy....

I also salute your airbrushing on the land raider. I am so picky with my airbrushing, I can never seem to get just the right shades of blue for my base and shading, so I know the time and effort that takes, great work!

How, may I ask, did you magnetize the arms? Whenever I try to do things that small i just ruin the plastic.

Thank you very much. My airbrushing has gone from precise to winging everything. I hardly mask anything anymore and freehand everything but swords because to be 100% honest... we're talking about painting armies here. Not models... thousands of points of armies.

For the magnets, I just found some cheap rare earth small ones on ebay and I pilot hole the wrist sockets with an exacto knife and then start drilling away.

A little update:

I wanted to get my second Stormtalon done so I can properly finish the Stormwing Formation or even the new Raptor formation from the new Kauyon book:

gallery_2760_10216_322293.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_585375.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_223657.jpg

Thank you very much guys. It's very humbling and inspirational to have your peers enjoying your work. You guys are pretty generous though. I have to admit I'm fearful of burnout as I have been going at these guys hardcore since 2014. (That was the date I decided to concentrate on the army instead of just dabbling in it.)

I am bouncing around between a few squads painting away.... but I confess I am not too sold on the Vanguard formation in the Ravenguard rules for Kauyon. Yes it works, but it's not optimal for Ultra I'm afraid. Believe it or not I still need to do about another 10 tacticals. Ugh.

Another side project I want to do because they are a Demi co requirement (one of the options) and I have a lot of fun with them is my Assault Centurions.

More beautiful Ultras from you Prot. Id love to see these guys across the board from me.

Really great looking Ultramarines Prot! I think the land raider is my favourite :smile.:

Nemac

Thanks a ton guys. I can't tell you how much it means to have some like minded folks enjoy your work. As we all know it's a labour of love but let's be honest, it 100's of hours we pour into our armies! I love the hobby aspect of this game as much as the gaming part, and always play my Ultra's true to fluff no matter what. :)

So here is a plan, you vs you head to head necrons vs ultra boys..... I'm fairly certain the pics would be epic! Also it would be interesting to see how ultra gladius plus support would fair against the dead ;-)

I have not batrepped evreything I've played here. Lately some people have picked up Tau but I can't batrep all of those because to be frank there is so much proxying going on (as they are testing combo's, etc) that it would make for some pretty ugly photos. 

The idea of playing my Crons is interesting and I have done this with a friend. I gave him a strong Decurion list and I used my Grey Knights (I believe I batrepped this game in my Grey Knight thread). 

I will say I don't know if Ultra's can beat them, but the Battle Company may not be the best answer as I still find the psychic phase with Shriek and leadership manipulation to be key for me. 

Right now I'm working on finishing 2 five man squads that should be up in the thread this weekend. I'm really happy with how they've turned out so far. 

And as I write this I'm off to pick up Betrayal at Calth. How can I not? It features Captain Aerion Mersaror from Macragge's Honour (I did a review of that cool graphic novel by Dan Abnett and Neil Roberts). 

Prot youve broken my jaw yet again... do you do commission work? Your stuff is all great... how will u be running these guys 1st co? A ravenguard formation? Im curious to see how they will do...

Wow, holy cow they look awesome! Those Forgeworld shields are really adding to the ultra feeling.

Great job! :thumbsup:

You're the first person to notice... or at least mention the shields! Actually it was a bit of work as they don't actually fit properly but it was worth it in the end because as you note it makes them feel a little more Ultra.

Prot youve broken my jaw yet again... do you do commission work? Your stuff is all great... how will u be running these guys 1st co? A ravenguard formation? Im curious to see how they will do...

Very kind of you to say. I have been approached to do such work it's just I'm so slow and have so many projects going.

In fact this entire army almost got sold a few days ago. :)

Yes, I have been playing several games using the new Kauyon formations. I haven't been able to batrep them because my opponents have all been proxying a lot (TAU!) and I'm just now starting to use the actual Talon Strike Force which I did batrep in the main Ultra forum.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

Here we go.... it was a battle to finish these guys... too much detail!

Totally worth it though. The detail is what makes those Vanguard so nice. The gold + white + blue combination is so striking.

Between you and Ishagu I'm really feeling the urge to get some Ultramarine WIP's going on. It's been ages since I painted any.

Thanks folks. Really appreciate that someone still views this thread from time to time. :)

I just had an interested party in buying the army, but did not want to piece it out so I'm finishing a few select pieces and contemplating selling the majority of it. 

With  that in mind I have just finished Tigurius, Sicarius, and a Stormraven (which may get used for a different army.)

I love the hammer guys!

Is it just me, or are your lovely power weapons somehow getting prettier?

No I think you found me out.... I've been sending the hammers to day spas, and they've been getting some serious attention at the beauty salons.... So that's why they're prettier. 

I just had an interested party in buying the army, but did not want to piece it out so I'm finishing a few select pieces and contemplating selling the majority of it. 

:sad.:

Edit: oops, posted too soon.

Would you be looking at moving on to a new project, or doing something new and Ultramarine related. Because this board had been dead for a while, seeing some projects like this has helped breath a bit of new life into it.

Edited by Toxichobbit

:sad.:

I feel a little expired on Ultra ville right now. I've been painting them almost daily since November 2014.  I feel like their best stuff is in the form of Battle Co, and LibCon. To go outside of Tactical hordes is tough for Ultra. 

I'm just thinking it might be time to try a different Chapter...at least til Chaos comes out. 

To be honest I wasn't considering it until I had the sale discussion with a company. But because it fell through the idea kind of stuck with me. I haven't had a painted army, of this level, to this size since my old Iron Warriors.  :)