That is a very sad day for the Ultramarine chapter. :sad.:

I really enjoyed your painted stuff and especially your battle reports. I hope you will be around here although not playing the truest heros of mankind! :wink:

I salute you, brother!

I am finishing up some projects and I think I'll just take a break for a while before doing anything rash. You guys are right, it has been a ton of work in this army and I've been really diligent about painting almost every day, whether it be an hour or two - some days more.

I have a lot to still finish so even though right now I feel a little burned out on the army, we'll see what happens when I finish the last couple of projects. It's a really fun army to play, and having a wide range of models to choose from for all those formations certainly adds a lot of playability. I don't think I could start over again. It's grueling work creating an army this size. lol

To me, that is basically saying that you don't want to sell it and you were just tempted because you felt burnt out. Holding onto it is the right call. If in a year or so's time you still have no interest in painting more models for it or playing it, then you can revisit the idea of selling it. It's not like decent fully painted armies go out of fashion.

DON'T SELL THEM!!

Sorry, wouldn't normally do the whole "shouting in caps" thing but seriously take a break from them and see how you feel in a couple of months time.

I felt the same about my Cadian 8th Army - spent 3 years painting them and got seriously burnt out so started Blood Angels and then Ultras. Fell in love with Ultras and 6 years later am still painting them....

But I get bored of painting blue so always wander off onto other armies or just don't paint at all.

I have had serious offers for my Cadians and haven't played with them in a game for 5 years (I have other IG/AM armies) but it's easy to forget just how much time and effort is invested in an army until it's finished.

I have also only rarely finished an army (not that they are ever actually finished...) and it's something to be proud of and something to hang on to.

If after a while you still feel you would rather sell them then fair enough, but have a break for a bit and see how it goes. I always come back to my armies, even if it's years later.

I am holding off on the sale for now and just seeing if it's fatigue. I still play them quite a bit, and will have another batrep up very soon....

But I had a MASSIVE week for finishing some of these projects I've been trying to push through for the army before I shut things down:

First the Flyer Post:

Stormraven, finally done:

gallery_2760_10216_166507.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_137649.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_143231.jpg

And as a part of my finally completed Stormwing Formation:

gallery_2760_10216_201101.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_23871.jpg

The weapons on the Stormraven are magnetized for las/assault cannon loadout and press fit changeable for the Multi-melta or Typhoon missile loud out.

Here is a big character update. Again, these guys are used a LOT in my games so it was past due to just get them on the table:

med_gallery_2760_10216_91305.jpg

I use LibCon so much, and Tiggy is what I consider an iconic character that helps make Ultra what it is, and what LibCon can be. :wink:

med_gallery_2760_10216_38254.jpg

Sicarius and Telion. Although I'm not a big fan of Sicarius in game, I've used him plenty and he does have some decent abilities, however his sword fighting is suspect at best. lol

med_gallery_2760_10216_109197.jpg

Holding their respective weapons, at attention. (I think Quietus just put a round through an Ork's head... an hour ago. The Ork still doesn't know. )

Thanks for looking!

That Stormraven looks really cool. The white is working pretty well and those sweet windows. Wow, awesome job, mate!

Those characters are also very nice. Although I don't like the Tigurius figure (I use the red scorpion one for my army), the paint job you have done is flawless. Really amazing.

As for Sicarius and Telion - very well executed! :)

You should be proud of your painted army!

Thanks a ton for supporting this endeavor. It's been so much work this year. When I look at the entirety of what I completed this year for Ultra's it truly does blow me away.

On a side note, I really love the Forgeworld Ultramarines (or any of the FW) decals. They did such a fine job laser cutting those decals so fine that you don't have to fight raised edges as much with all the tricky potions for thinning out the decal materials. They seal up really nice and tight. Plus the FW classic Ultra's just have this simple, but elegant look that is kind of lost in the 'modern' decal sheet. (there is a sprinkling of these through out my army now. Often the vets get some form of the wreath covered gold/white emblems.)

I usually do sell an army when I feel near completion of it. But in 2015 I have sold 2-3 painted armies. Unless you put your labour at very low amounts, you rarely get near what you put into them these days. Although I did get a very fair penny for my Grey Knights earlier this year. My problem is when I have a large project with a lot of finished models I have trouble leaving it alone... almost a sickness of sorts, where I feel the need to 'complete' something every week.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On my table currently:

On a scale of 1-3 I will denote the level of completion the unit sits at- with 4 being completed.( 0 = not even assembled)

On a scale of "+" I will denote the amount I will anticipate the amount I feel I will use the unit in my weekly games. (The range being 1 + = Rare, to +++ = Often used)

- Assault Centurions: 2 / +

- Vanilla Landraider: 2 / +

- 10 Tacticals: 2 / +++

- 5 Devastators: 0 / ++

- 20 x various Terminators: 2 / +

- 1 "command rhino": 0 / ++

- Failcast Calgar: 0 / 0

- Failcast Honour Guard: 0 / 0

- 10 Sternguard: 1.5 / +

- Command Squad: 0 / + (Full Battle Co only)

- Generic Captain conversion from Solaq boxed set: 0 / ++ (probably my most often used HQ aside from Termie Capt)

- Thunderfire Cannon x 2: 0 / ++ (can't logically fit into my Gladius of nearly any design, but an auto include in my CAD's.)

- Various Dreadnaughts: (still not sold on these guys but in a Battle Co and Strike Force Ultra detachments they have uses) 0 / +

- Various Scouts: (was going to start Raven Guard and killed that project quickly) 0 / +

And finally.... something I've been secretly working on in the back ground....

- Knight Errant ( "Magnus Veridian") ( I needed something with a D sword for all the new crap out that kind of outclasses the shooty knight.): 2 / ++

I hope to have pics up shortly but even a 'quick' Knight I find to be a major undertaking. Being this is my second it will contrast my red one and be stationed to service with my 3rd Co. But of course usable in all my armies so I never do totally dedicated paint schemes. But it's obvious he's of Ultramar, and the 30K era of the incident at Veridian.

That's quite a list. It's mostly for my own purposes as I look towards my Chaos which has been sitting around for a while now. (I've been picking away at a few minor projects.)

Thanks again for the kind words and I appreciate the feedback.

That's a long list! :-O

But I think it is the right way to do things. It feels like being a bean counter but otherwise one wouldn't finish any stuff. I have a list for my army too. ;)

Looking forward to your Terminators and those TFC.

A new Knight joins the fray:

med_gallery_2760_10216_235635.jpg

On the left is my original Imperator Domus and now he is joined by the cagey (and this time magnetized!) Divinus Veridian.

med_gallery_2760_10216_352051.jpg

med_gallery_2760_10216_265599.jpg

He will be featured in a larger, multiplayer game I'm having later today, but with my Ultramarines army. Wish me luck... it's against the dreaded salmon of 40K... Tau.... 4,000 pts of Tau.

And here is a teaser pic of that battle to come with my 2,000 pts of Ultramarines and Divinus Vedidian:

The characters/LibCon:

med_gallery_2760_10216_179154.jpg

My entire 2,000 pts of Knight + Battle Company/10th Co Auxiliary and LibCon featuring Tigurius:

med_gallery_2760_10216_534823.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the 24 hour boxing day super challenge! The first and last time I ever paint a model that quick.

DONE!

Never again.

The bad news is I kept negotiating with myself to get it done. The good news is I skipped stuff I never would have skipped and probably can't even tell the difference if I would have done those steps.... still glad to have this guy done. This is definitely a record for me.

gallery_2760_10216_123270.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_34895.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_44032.jpg

1 day for a Dread of that quality, and mine have been sitting in chunks of gray on my desk for months.  The shame of it all. :sleep.:

Well the Dread is nice, but the Raven is lovely. :tu:

What's your recipe for reds?  I've been...tinkering.