Next year paint a marine, organize with everyone that you are to be left alone on pain of death, and things will be better. we are going to need you, you realize we almost beat the Black Templars

Almost.  ;)

But one of our points was a brother whom failed in the vow ultimately, so I s'pose we can call it a draw if it makes you feel better :teehee:

1 day for a Dread of that quality, and mine have been sitting in chunks of gray on my desk for months.  The shame of it all. :sleep.:

Well the Dread is nice, but the Raven is lovely. :thumbsup:

What's your recipe for reds?  I've been...tinkering.

Thank you very much. To be honest I just moved over to Vallejo for my Reds. They have a few 'scarlet' reds that I really like. 

Next year paint a marine, organize with everyone that you are to be left alone on pain of death, and things will be better. we are going to need you, you realize we almost beat the Black Templars

It will be interesting won't it? I don't have a heck of a lot left. I'm finishing 10 Tacticals as we speak, 3 Assault Cents are almost done, and then I am doing my last 2 Thunderfires. 

By this time next year, Space Marines will be 'old'. Our great release will be in the past and Xenos will probably be more Omnipotent.  I hope we have the numbers to compete!

I just tried Vallejo reds for the first time on my own Boxing Day vow.  Love it.  Much more cooperative than wishy washy GW reds, and some striking shades.  VMC Cavalry Brown makes an excellent base, similar to GW's old Dark Flesh, and VMC Flat Red and Scarlet slap right on for a lovely color fit for a cardinal. :smile.:

I'll have to try the stuff on a larger surface than jewels, eyes or sword hilts next.  Could be time for a Blood Angel one-off...

Grats on the Artificer badge by the way.  I'll be gunning for you next year. :devil:

Edited by Firepower

Almost.  :wink:

But one of our points was a brother whom failed in the vow ultimately, so I s'pose we can call it a draw if it makes you feel better :teehee:

End of the day we all won. Now I'm wondering if we can extend the win to the ETL. Do you think its a bit early to campaign for that?

Would you mind sharing which blues you use?

I know we talked about this and I said at the time I mix a pile of crap together until I like how it looks. So this is ever changing....the best way I can describe my blue right now:

- Base with Army Painter Ultramarine Blue if it's infantry. If it's a vehicle it is black first - which means I do a coat of Macragge blue on that black primer. (I like the vehicles to start darker).

- I go from medium blues, airbrushing to a VERY bright blue until the figures actually look too bright. I like this dynamic colouring best by far, because on the table top it looks very dynamic to me and my original Ultra blues were too one dimensional with just edge highlighting and washes. I felt they sunk into the gaming table and I didn't like that.

- So the mixture of blues I use actually overlap. After the Macragge it is a 'medium' or 'magic' blue (Vallejo) but in these figs (I told you it changes every time) I used the GW Caldor Sky which has become my favorite new medium blue. 

- I mix in Lothern Blue for top down (brightest spots) of the infantry and tanks. Again this gets almost TOO bright. I do this because...

- I wash the bottom half/large surfaces (entire tanks) (or bottom halfs of infantry models) with Guilliman blue wash. Again it's VERY dynamic. If I feel I start to diminish the blends too much, I immediately grab water, and dilute the wash on the infantry to quickly minimize the darkness of the wash in areas I don't want it dark. I then use a fresh Q tip and roll it along top edges to keep the brighter blends showing.... I do this entirely by feel because sometimes I look at a shoulder pad for instance and will only wash the bottom half, but a chest piece might get a stronger dose. 

- After the wash drys I do a wider highlight on only the very top edges using pure Lothern, and then if I feel it still needs pop, I add in 2/3rds to 1/3 of Fenrisian Grey to the Lothern colour. (So it is mostly, but not quite pure Fenrisian... which can come off looking almost white on the darker blues.)

That's really about it! 

P.S.

Oops I realized this might be misleading because that Dreadnought was for the Boxing Day Challenge and no brushes were used on him at all(for the blues)  Just freehand airbrush except ONE finishing line on the shine line of his left, power fist cuff. I had no time to use a paint brush for painting him. lol  BUT the recipe of blues was the same as described above.

Edited by Prot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I just a quick FYI.

I didn't want people to think I'm ignoring this project/thread. I actually still actively play multiple armies weekly but I confess it's hard to keep up that pace and report on even half of it.

That said here's a photo from a pretty gross game I had vs. Skitarii admech... some hilarious moments though. I hope to batrep it:

gallery_2760_10191_183266.jpg

So that being said I made that thread in the Space Marine forum about what units I should consider:

LINK

• 1 month later...

Well I have skipped a few batreps but I thought I should update my thread.

- First off I'm very, very close to finishing my 'limited' Solaq Captain as a magnetized Ultramarine's Captain. He is looking rather clean, and grand. I finally had the foresight to magnetize his back pack so I can flip between normal and jump pack mode.

- Second I'm very close to finishing my Centurion Assault Squad. In part I had to do lots of playtesting. I did not document this, but you have to trust me. It is an interesting debate between taking Frag Launchers and Bolter boobies. I hope to have this done very soon. But guess what? I lost a pair of Bolter nipples so I have to figure out how to finish this squad.

- Thirdly, I have been playing lots of ITC styled games, but typically I only batrep the Maelstroms. I have been working on several lists at once in playtest mode. I want to do more with Skyhammer but for now I am doing my own limited take on Gladius Battle Co.

I took some pics and hope to have up a mini-(very light) batrep on one of these games featuring a full scale, epic show down vs Tau (Riptide Wall, Stormsurge, etc.)

gallery_2760_10191_124074.jpg

Tiggy and friends are ready for anything... except Tau. But no one plays them anyway, right?

gallery_2760_10191_520939.jpg

Sicarius vs. Everything. What could go wrong?

The Batrep is now up: LINK

Edited by Prot

Prot, do you use an airbrush for your minis? They all look outstanding BTW!

Thank you! Yes, they get a spray paint base, then about 3 shades of air brushing, paint brush painting, a few washes, and then highlighting.... so a bit of everything!

Well I hope you guys enjoyed your 30th Space Marine celebration. I'm throwing my loot up here as a mental reminder of why I bought this stuff lol

At 200 bucks my local GW store gave the 30 th Marine for free. They were all doing this. So I decided to finish off my Sky Hammer with a few models to make it legit and finally start playing it. That got me the marine, and a few freebies (a couple of posters and pins).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/EF494B8D-F7F4-4BC9-8E93-1241115BC30D.jpg?t=1460748219

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/Ultramarines/42A286F9-5647-434B-967C-34ECE180C316.jpg

-  So this was my haul. Unfortunately the store had such a long line up before opening, there wasn't enough for everyone (even limiting one per person).  I felt bad because even the Angels of Death supplement was well sold out by the time I even got in the store. (We were there an hour early across the street.)

I hope you guys had a good one. Instant Death to the Xenos! (literally!)

I brought myself the space marine heroes box + a libby as well as the white dwarf couldn't afford the imperial marine or AoD lol

You starting up a loyalist army?

An update with a (finally) finished Solaq Captain done up on my Ultramarines colours. He really took too long mostly because I did not want to magnetize him and I really hate putting models together. So this slowed me down a ton but I refused to paint him up until I at least had his Shield, Hammer, and Back pack magnetized.

I hope you like him. I think he turned out nicely. It's a great sculpt.

gallery_2760_10216_211371.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_397724.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_648550.jpg

gallery_2760_10216_199624.jpg

As you can see I also managed to finish some heavy weapons and Apothecaries I had sitting around for a long time.

Thanks for checking it out!

• 11 months later...