I thought that at first but it isn't much different to a double Battalion really:

- 6 Troops in both

- 3 HQs in a Brigade vs 4 in double Battalion

- you're going to fill up on Heavy Support and Elites anyway...

I do think it's harder to bring out a competitive Brigade with pure Primaris since they don't have access to the cheaper units such as Attack Bikes and Scouts to save points.

On that note, Prot - how are you finding availability of CPs in game? I'm finding Marines have gone from an army that just doesn't need CPs to one that can burn through them in a matter of a couple of turns.

I think the brigade is more of an option for the classic marines than it is for an all primaries list. The primaries are more expensive in every slot, so you have less points for killy stuff if you bring a just primaris brigade. That said, most primaris units are more killy than classic marines. I would still favor double battalion for primaris, and probably for a mix of classic and primaris as well. A brigade seems like a fun experiment though, and you have a few extra CP to throw in those extra relics and WL traits.

I'll be watching everyone's succes and slowly build up a list in the background of my terminator project.

Keep the posts and feedback rolling.

Prot, your models are gorgeous as always.

• 2 weeks later...

So I played quite a few games the last few weeks, but I chose to write up a full report on a game this week against Death Guard. 

After a few games against GSC, Tau, Orks... why would I pick Death Guard to do a report on? 

It's because I was shocked at the overall game. The list for the Death Guard was extremely... plain. A lot of units you just don't see anymore. I was reluctant to play my 'typical' list which I would give a higher 'mid grade' to.
But my opponent really wanted to just play it out even after I offered to alter the list.

This is the batrep if you want to skim it:
https://prot40k.blog/2019/09/12/a-prot-quick-n-dirty-battle-report-ultramarines-vs-death-guard-2000-pts/

T4-UM-Calgar-vs-DP.jpg?resize=1024%2C768

If you don't want to read it: Spoiler alert:

I ended up winning by one point in turn 5. We were both almost wiped and it was literally a last turn charge by Calgar against the Daemon Prince that ended the game. The resilience of the Death Guard was shocking, and the effectiveness of a lot of 'vanilla' units surprised me. It was quite a game. I've had an easier time against very strong Genestealer Cult and Orks to be honest. A lot of fun though.

So a minor update:

I've had a few more games and since the Death Guard game I've played pure infantry (plus Warsuits), and then gone back to my dual Repulsor list, and then went to a prure infantry (plus Warsuits) BUT with a very healthy dose of the Phobos marines, including a Phobos LT, and Captain using Chapter Master strat, with no Calgar. (Tiggy was the only 'typical' character I brought forward in my list.)

I consider this list turned down, but it's really hard to say because I've played a few games with this list and it did super good against armies that thrive on infantry. (I probably would have done -worse- with my Repulsors.) So take that for what it's worth.

The last game was against a 'turned down' Tau army. It only had one Riptide, but a metric ton of Crisis suits. I knew those were going to be his key to winning our game (Maelstrom is good for forcing movement to specific objectives rather than sitting on any objective for points.) 

The Tau also featured a very high drone count. Really annoying but I didn't even bother hitting them much with my Thunder Fire cannon. 

I will say I won, but it was purely on points. I had to out play him because I was severely out shot. I could drown him in S4 AP-1-2, but when it came to killing suits with T5 or more, I struggled mightily.

This instantly gave me some perspective on why I was doing so well lately against hyper competitive GSC, but here I was struggling against Death Guard and now Tau. 

I took my medicine. I played very cagey, I hit the marker light squads (because I could kill them) until he had none left. Step 2 was just making it very hard for him to deep strike all his Crisis Suits and his HQ (Can't remember what it's called but it carried 4 melta's and deep striked as well.) 

I waited, he had to come in, I pasted the units originally with my 'Auspex Scan' but then he realized with his Sept he could have landed +12" away and still rapid fire on me, so I let him re-do his deep striking on all three units, and therefore I took a massive beating. I was left with one Centurion, and my HQ.

Be that as it may, I threw -everything- I could possibly bring to bare on the 3 deep strike units. Rapid Fire Intercessors, TFC, Suppressors, Intercessors with the -2 AP rifle (forgot the name), and even scouts, and Infiltrators threw down. and finally my last 2 Aggressors.

It took everything and I still could not kill all 7 models (in total from 3 squads). I had to assault with Cents, and an intercessor squad, and barely did killed the final HQ.

So at that point I put everything I had into neutering his ability to grab any objective. The only cards he could complete were 'shoot/kill' type objectives. I felt this was the only hope I had to win.

Fast forward to the end, I have almost nothing. Some HQ's, Tiggy, about 4 Infiltrators, the TFC, and maybe 3-4 Intercessors from one squad. Everything else... dead. And on his side he still had 2 bigger Crisis Suits(?) they fire a ton of shots with D3 damage I think. And his Riptide was largely untouched. He had no T3 infantry or the little jump squads (smaller than Crisis suits, but always -1 to hit.) 

He had far more damage capability left, but it was mostly in his castle, which I just ignored, and took a 12-2 point lead and he conceded. I was almost tabled, but probably could have lasted 2 more turns with hiding intercessors and he still had almost no chance to score anything with no marker lights (his hitting went down the toilet without the Marker Drones and marker fish).

Very close, but what a -brutal- grind. I have to change my list to provide much more punishment to high T targets with good saves. And I need more speed to get it there. (I missed the Repulsors greatly in this match up.)

Relying on bolters to work through T5+ is a difficult proposition.

You did well though. Stuck to the objective whilst the opponent played kill-hammer. (Off subject but this is why I hate Tau - they want to play Kill-hammer rather than a fun back and forth)

So how do you feel the Invictor Warsuits fared against the Tau? I imagine they died quite quickly?

Edited by Captain Idaho

You're right, they died super quick.

I tried to apply early pressure. I had them completely out of LoS in turn 1, but high up the board. I had them lead and tried to add pressure with a lot of Intercessors, but both of the warsuits died in one turn. I failed a very short charge with one of them as well so they were a distraction carnifex at best. They've done better that's for sure. 

Tau are really... not fun to play against. I find it super challenging, but I consider it a necessary evil so I seek out the match up whenever I can. It's always a grind. :)

Aaaand finally a couple of updates, more on the blog, but two new figs done:

Chappy1.jpg?w=637&ssl=1

Chaplain was a lot of fun. It was a nice experiment on the  cloak (which started too dark).

And Tiggy!

TIggy1.jpg?w=899&ssl=1

I did  a fun 'magic' glow on his hand reflecting off of his cape. Such a crazy good upgrade in my opinion on the sculpt.

https://prot40k.blog/2019/09/24/hobby-update-ultramarines-chaplain-and-tigurius/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this has been on and off my table for a long time. I bit the bullet, took some risks on this version but I'm finally done.. my second (and last) Guillman:

IMG_80901.jpg?resize=1024%2C768&ssl=1

IMG_80951.jpg?resize=1024%2C768&ssl=1

More:

https://prot40k.blog/2019/10/28/roboute-guilliman-arrives-finally-completed-painting-the-primarch-of-the-ultramarines/