Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Forge Masters Sanctum

TheGreatCrusade HorusHeresy LegionesAstartes SolarAuxilia Mechanicum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

The Great Crusade begins...

Welcome everyone! I am the emissary of the newly established Forge Masters group, our goal is to fill in the blanks in some notable campaigns in the Imperiums history of the Horus Heresy, Great Crusade, The Scouring, and 40k of course. From minis, battle terrain, and fan made campaign books. It is at best a completely daunting project but nevertheless it will be done, our first project that we have set our eyes upon is the Great Crusade.

Project 001: The Golgothan Slaughter, or now called The Great Crusade: Book I Slaughter, will retell in detail the colossal campaign in the Golgothan System. Mainly it will be broken into 3 Parts. Part I being the Legion leaving Bodt and making its way to the world of Sarum which will show also the colossal void battle. Part II will give in depth on what happened on the surface of Sarum and the eventual victory in orbit with the destruction of the enemy that were based there. Part 3 will highlight and even show a number of battles that were fought in the system which led to the infamous title of "Golgothan Slaughter". 

Here was the presentation slide we prepared and even were allowed to showcase in our local GW stores auditorium:

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4-1.jpg5.jpg

Just to remind all of you it is all fan made and will be made available to everyone upon completion smile.png Future posts will come soon, enjoy everyone!

Untitled-1_1.jpggallery_51296_10593_8492.png

My personal army log: "Three Heads, One Mind - A Tale of Lost Sons"

ChaptermasterDemon7

ChaptermasterDemon7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts

Very, very interesting. I will look forward to more posts.

1.jpg

The Blood Guardians shall deliever the wrath of the Emperor through flame, bolter and blade till every last heretic is dead, burned or purged.

Wins= 4  Losses= 2 Draws= 2

deathspectersgt7

deathspectersgt7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,272 posts

Ditto.

gallery_70393_10089_14134.png     gallery_45765_11559_21519.png

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

WeeklyUpdate-1.jpg

Cover.jpg

Page1.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the update! Tell me what you guys would like to see as an image in the black hole in the first page?

Battybattybats

Battybattybats

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,401 posts

I'd like to see the cog-haloed skull emblem of House Cydonia, but then i would as i made them up :P

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

@Battybattybats   We would be glad to feature your Knight House in this book if you want! You can pm us for further detail on the matter! :)

WeeklyUpdate-2.jpg

GalaxyMap.jpg

The Galaxy Map of the Golgothan system is underway and is still very WIP, we will keep everyone appraised of its development!

LegionEvents.jpg

Suggest by many of the supporters of the Forge Masters community we have set in a monthly event that will reward the faithful and even give them certain prestige among the ranks of the common Forge Legionaries that make up our great sanctum in the interwebz! Each month a legion will be represented, in addition to it a special event that lasts only a week within that month will allow you to earn extra credit and even prizes! 

The first month which is none other than the bloody XIIth shall be represented this december! In order to complete this event you must field a 30k/40k era World Eaters force, if you have a Sons of Horus force you can play as World Eaters for that is acceptable! You have this months time to play 12 table top games that MUST consist of an army that is at least 2000pts or higher. You must win 12 games and upon completion you will be rewarded a XIIth Legion Champion Signature banner, wallpaper and Legion Pin! The special event DESTRUCTION that starts on the 13th and end on the 20th of december you will have to slay 8 enemy champions with your own commander, upon completion you will get a prize from the Forge Master himself that you may proudly display to all of your savagery in combat! Of course pictures of each enemy that you have faced are required as proof of your triumphs and thus can be without a doubt shown your great victory!

Next months events shall be posted on the next update! Cheers everyone for looking!

ChaptermasterDemon7

ChaptermasterDemon7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts

Shoot. I wish I could do this, but alas, my Blood Guardians cannot be as savage or as brutal as the fabled World Eaters. But I will keep watching this with great interest and I am liking how this is shaping up!

1.jpg

The Blood Guardians shall deliever the wrath of the Emperor through flame, bolter and blade till every last heretic is dead, burned or purged.

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

An update has been long in the coming and I can only say that focusing on writing on the fluff takes time and to make some pages has been hardly the priority. Between planning a 30k Iron Warriors force with Auxilia, this Great Crusade Book I: Slaughter and some family problems I have been juggling around some heavy responsibilities but by the grace of Chaos have I survived! So to the updates shall we? A part of a page is done, just need to get artwork done and decide on a font (any suggestions btw?) and the Galaxy Map is nearly done, it is WIP heavy and haven't made the current WIP but it is close to the current progress. Enjoy and cheers for looking!

BookISlaughter.jpg

GalaxyMap-1.jpg

ChaptermasterDemon7

ChaptermasterDemon7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts

I like this update a lot!

1.jpg

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

So the book is coming along nicely with more editing getting done and the first scenic art piece is almost done for the book! For now here are some certificates that were made for new players, my local GW were impressed with them and have asked me to make more for new players and for seasoned veterans of the hobby as it is motivator among many things! 

DarkAngels.jpgIronHands.jpgIronWarriors.jpg

That is all for now! Thank you for viewing and commenting!

ChaptermasterDemon7

ChaptermasterDemon7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 535 posts

I love the update!!

1.jpg

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

It has been a long time since the last update and I am glad to say the fluff writing is almost at a close and soon the rules and missions etc. will be written. So far I have something new to bring to the table and one that might interest a few open minded Iron Warriors (if there is such a thing...I can only hope), so between hundreds of projects, building a 30k Iron Warriors force, writing 2 books and working I can say my schedule is officially full! Enjoy the sneak peek!

Cover-1.jpgBack.jpg

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,417 posts

I have to say that I am very curious about how you did the map(s).

Any chance of a quick rundown on that? I understand if you can't; it'd be pretty time-consuming and you have better things to do!

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Armoured Column Inbound

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

@Disruptor_fe404   I can't make a tutorial due to the lengthy process in creating it but what I will try to explain it right now. I started with a really dark blue canvas and using a dust particle brush that was sized down (using the colour white) I painted the background which is just a field of stars, I lowered the opacity of them a bit so they do not become the main focus. After that I used the same brush and painted in areas where I wanted the star systems to be at or where the maelstrom would be this would give me a rough idea of location and where I wanted everything to be, I did this step at least 4 times until I was satisfied with it. Afterwards I used a cloud brush but a mist brush would do as well, just paint over the star field areas where you want it and make sure it is white and not in red, blue, green etc. just keep it at white. Once done make a layer above that and set it on overlay now you can begin to use various colours and set them on various opacity, make sure to alt click that layer to the one below it so you only paint in the clouds! You can use various methods for this part in mixing and matching colours. I used at last a star brush and made them a bit bigger than all the others in the maelstrom or in the background to highlight that these are the inhabit or campaign systems that I want you to focus on, afterwards it just comes down to cosmetics, I used various ideas from both the Forge World Badab War book as inspiration and a bit from other sources! I hope this helps!

Currently we are finally at the Golgothan Slaughter Part 1 section of the book where we will be talking about the the void battle over Sarum and the forces landing on the planetoid, I will have updates at the end of the week of all the pages that are done and can only hope they are satisfactorily! Also I am hoping to work with master Athrawes in creating a Legion Appendix book about his Lightning Bearers, this way he can have a solid tome about his legionss history, rules, primarch etc. and maybe even be able to print it out as a center piece of his great success! I would do that for just about anyone, may even do Space Marine Chapters, Knight Houses, Titan legions etc. as time goes by but that depends on how things go. So far the Forge Masters group is still recruiting more people to help out if they want!

Anyways cheers for reading and looking!

KingKurama

KingKurama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,656 posts
Im so hooked

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

Good to hear Kurama! More goodies are to come by saturday :D

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

So here is a preview of the 6 pages we have completed so far! I am only showing these two until the PDF is done but overall it is coming along nicely. The first part of the book honestly is just a recap of what Horus Heresy Book 1 told us about the World Eaters with a few minor details added on to it but the "Anvil of War" section that is on the next page goes more in depth about what happened on Bodt. So cheers for looking!

BookISlaughter-1.jpg

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts

This is all looking very promising, brother. I especially like the emulation of the FW format - whoever has been doing the pages is doing a great job. Keep up the good work. smile.png

Edit - Hold up, hold up. 'Crota's End'? Does one of the Forge Masters play Destiny, by any chance? happy.png

Edited by Olis, 15 February 2015 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

Thank you Olis a high praise from you as I used to read the many stories you wrote before life consumed me into its terrible embrace! Indeed the guy who does all the photoshop and art uses all sorts of video game easter eggs! He is a bit sneaky like that haha and a nice nod to the companies who were his childhood you could say!

On that matter our artist made this Army organization sheets for his Iron Warriors, there are some names he made himself so don't mind them it is mostly to just gain a sense of what everything is supposed to be and how each squad is going to be used in combat. Cheers for looking!

10446279_921476071219494_901561603186383

10931607_919843911382710_559465782811542

10644304_919843908049377_570325054419927

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts

Ah yes, well, I've been somewhat busy these days but I hope I'll get some time to do more fiction. I'm very happy that you enjoyed my stories. smile.png

Edited by Olis, 16 February 2015 - 12:15 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

@Olis Aye brother everyone seems to be busy these days but I look forward to reading more of your work!

On another note that I forgot to add, the Forge Masters will be working on a Legion Appendix book for Athrawes and his IInd Legion! We (especially me) am excited about this project for it gives us the opportunity to work on something new! Working on the Golgothan Slaughter campaign book and the Lightning Bearers Legion Appendix will be great and results will be shown as they come to be. Cheers!

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

So with the Legion Appendix on the roll now for master Athrawes here is what I have been working on. Really just did the Legion Symbol, Symbol of the Oni, and possible a Legion Veterancy crest? The other images are just references really but may the grand game begin!

AthrawesMarines.jpg

Nineswords

Nineswords

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
I dig it, it's really cool to see professional standard layouts and artwork for a fan project.

+++

'We are the sword of Jaghatai. Had you not created great sins, the Emperor would not have sent a punishment like us upon you.'

Index Astartes: Storm Sons
+++

‘We estrange our fathers and forsake false brotherhoods. The War God cares not from whence we came, only that we fight.’
The Unbroken: A Renegade Cult of Obliteration

+++

ColdWinter

ColdWinter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 642 posts

Thank you Nineswords! Much appreciated, I'm not certain if we would call it professional but it adequate to get the job done :) and yay 2 new people are following this thread haha Will hopefully have an update soon of the finished Galaxy map.

Disruptor_fe404

Disruptor_fe404

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,417 posts

@Disruptor_fe404   I can't make a tutorial due to the lengthy process in creating it but what I will try to explain it right now. I started with a really dark blue canvas and using a dust particle brush that was sized down (using the colour white) I painted the background which is just a field of stars, I lowered the opacity of them a bit so they do not become the main focus. After that I used the same brush and painted in areas where I wanted the star systems to be at or where the maelstrom would be this would give me a rough idea of location and where I wanted everything to be, I did this step at least 4 times until I was satisfied with it. Afterwards I used a cloud brush but a mist brush would do as well, just paint over the star field areas where you want it and make sure it is white and not in red, blue, green etc. just keep it at white. Once done make a layer above that and set it on overlay now you can begin to use various colours and set them on various opacity, make sure to alt click that layer to the one below it so you only paint in the clouds! You can use various methods for this part in mixing and matching colours. I used at last a star brush and made them a bit bigger than all the others in the maelstrom or in the background to highlight that these are the inhabit or campaign systems that I want you to focus on, afterwards it just comes down to cosmetics, I used various ideas from both the Forge World Badab War book as inspiration and a bit from other sources! I hope this helps!

Super helpful! And definitely reminded me that I should use brush patterns way, way more often than I currently do. Thanks!

The Sentinels
Chapter Command ([1]), Throne Company, Grail Company ([1], [2], [3]), Lance Company, Sword Company ([1], [2]), Dagger Company, Shield Company, Sigil Company, Tome Company, Storm Company, Shadow Company.

Current projects: Lance Company - Armoured Column Inbound