Brother DimDim's Workshop

DimDim

Come one come all!

Welcome to my log on the WIP of my HH VII legion forces, and its possible allies within the future.

So, as stated above this will be a log on my Fist legion force as it defends terra, and or fighting in hive like cityscapes.

Hopefully I will be able to post updates every weekend, and some other updates during the week if time permits. As I've just got a hold of my FW goodness, expect more updates now as im riding straight on the HH obsession train!

Now this log is going to focus heavily on fluff as that's the section of the hobby I take most interest in, so if your not into that......well don't say you weren't warned! This is also my first B&C Log, so go easy on me :tongue.:

ANYWAYS LETS GET TO IT!

med_gallery_82040_10175_32449.jpg

Battle Brother Sinjar Leonus: Pict Capture siege of Terra, Center square firefights

Seen here in his Mk.2 battle plate (barring his Mk.3 breastplate) Brother Sinjar Leonus is pictured striding through the lower streets of the Center Square hab block of Terra in the days before the fateful assault upon Horus' flagship. Leonus is recorded as being of Inwit decent, and among one of the first legionaries to be selected for full brother honors from said initial pool of recruits. Leonus would be confirmed KIA twenty-seven hours after this pict capture, lost engaged in a deathly hand to hand struggle with three Sons of Horus Reaver assault legionaries while covering his tactical units withdrawal into a more advantageous position. His fighting brutal as he felled one reaver and mortally wounded another.

Thanks for takin a peek!

Dimitri

Looks nice.

One criticism is the bits of sprue on his base. I'm guessing they're meant to be rubble, and hint towards the siege mentality of the Fists, which is a good idea, but they end up looking like what they are- sprue. I suggest either replacing them, or carving them up with a knife to look more like rubble. As it is, I feel it cheapens the effect that the rest of the model gives.

May I ask why you chose a plastic arm over the resin? What Mk does it represent? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that bit.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Looks nice.

One criticism is he bits of sprue on his base. I'm guessing they're meant to be rubble, and hint towards the siege mentality of the Fists, which is a good idea, but they end up looki like what they are- sprue. I suggest either replacing them, or carving them up with a knife to look more like rubble. As it is, I feel it cheapens the effect that the rest of the model gives.

May I ask why you chose a plastic arm over the resin? What Mk does it represent? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that bit.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Firstly, thanks for taking a look!

Secondly, thank you for the constructive criticism. I completely agree with you, but i must add that the basing is yet to be finished as its missing my gravel look alike mix. any sprue viewed is supposed to represent brick or stone slabs, and will be textured with a finer sand to give them that grit like texture(worse case if that doesnt work i take them off and replace them with secret weapon minis bricks!) 

On the point of the plastic marine bit, it is an arm from the new sternguard set. The reason I chose to use it instead of the Fw arm is it is in a position I wanted without hot water bending or green stuff, and to be frankly honest I prefer its look with the MK2 suit than the sets included arms. I understand where the inspiration for the arms came from (bezerker kit) but i always felt the glove shape to be slightly tacky.

Also another theme I didnt touch on is the mix of Armour on my marines as in a siege and in this specific era, armour replacement would most likely be constant and sourced from different parts. That makes the prospect of a perfectly unified armour mark suit (save possibly mk.4, and 3) this late in the siege unlikely.

Once again, I appreciate your opinion!

Got a little over excited by the prospect of all that resin sitting in its bags, so I built two more of the 20man squad to go along with legionary Leonus.

I complemented the FW kits with plastic bits in certain spots for various reasons (Ex: one of the mk2 shoulder pads was beyond salvageable, and yes I know the legs on Bastion are Mk7 so therefore not heresy but that may be resculpted into mk.4) and some attempts to make extra marines from extra Fw parts added to the existing gw kits. I did some battle damage aswell, and reposed the legs on the marine tracker Marius to appear as though he is crouching. I cut the legs wrong, so the bend on the forward leg is in the incorrect place. Dont worry, It will be fixed. Anywho.........

med_gallery_82040_10175_5572.jpg

Battle Brother Gero Bastian: Pict capture siege of Terra, Day four, MIA

Battle brother Bastian was among the large number of marines pushed, but never rushed into service in the time directly before the Warmasters siege of Terra.

Clad in a modified suit of mk.4 maximus plate (largely manufactured by a unknown forgeworld) and armed with a modified prototype Godwyn pattern boltgun, Bastion appears to be filling the role of a support gunner within the large tactical squad which lacked heavy weapon support at these times. Damage up the left side of Bastions armour including a knife scrape and several bolt gun penetrations shows proof of the brutal close quarters fighting that took place during much of the siege. Last seen charging an Iron Warriors tactical demi-squad after expending the last of his bolt ammunition, line of sight with Bastion was lost after Iron Warriors began shelling the position regardless of casualty to friend or foe.

med_gallery_82040_10175_10967.jpg

med_gallery_82040_10175_1027.jpg

Veteran legionnaire Marius "Hunter of Jagers": Pict capture siege of Terra, Defense of the Eternity gate

Known by only one name, Brother Marius would go on to be remembered as the "Hunter of Jagers" or Hunter of the hunters. Marius took it upon himself to hunt and kill any traitor marksmen or sniper that wished to end the life of one of his brothers and take the round from the boltgun chamber of each, a token to remember the lives he saved in these dark times. Ever confident and vigilant, Marius was known to be an accomplished tracker and marksman long before even the discovery of their Primarch. A terran veteran and long standing exemplary of self control and honor, Marius was one of the brothers within the legion to have beared the Templars cross marking him as once being under the direct control of Sigismund and his honored Huscarl Templar's. Having survived the siege and the long war to come, Marius was one of the first to dawn the black plate of the Templars at the second founding, and bear the first honored position of a castellan.

Basing is not complete, but I really wanted to write a story so....

Once again,

Dimitri

No problem. Glad to hear that the bases aren't finished. Are you going to hold off basing models till you hear more about the 25mm vs 32mm? I like the other marines you've done. I was going to call you on the MkVII legs, but you said they're going to become MkIV so that's fine. Do you know when in the timeline the Godwyn bolter came into use? 

The back stories are a nice touch. I especially like the guy who collects bolt shells.

Dallo

No problem. Glad to hear that the bases aren't finished. Are you going to hold off basing models till you hear more about the 25mm vs 32mm? I like the other marines you've done. I was going to call you on the MkVII legs, but you said they're going to become MkIV so that's fine. Do you know when in the timeline the Godwyn bolter came into use? 

The back stories are a nice touch. I especially like the guy who collects bolt shells.

Dallo

I actually have no idea when precisely the godwyn came into service, but among the pages of if i can remember book 1 betrayal, within the dioramas used as backgrounds to written pages, there are pictures of forge world official deathguard using the boltgun. I also loved the giant drum magazine on the HH collected visions image of the fists color scheme so I went for it!

Now for something different!

After wandering onto Anaziels log I became a little itchy to paint up a word bearer. As most people know, if you purchase the new dark vengeance version you receive a excellently sculpted character named Vrash Tattersoul. I love the figures sculpt, but never really had a use for him. That is, until now.

Enter, Aviv Astrata of the Serrated Sun, the All-knowing, chosen by the dark, manipulator of men.

med_gallery_82040_10175_31904.jpg

med_gallery_82040_10175_15702.jpg

med_gallery_82040_10175_4568.jpg

-Access Librarius Traitorus Maximus..........PROVIDE IDENTIFICATION CODE......

- User ************........Access Granted....

-Rembrancer Holo-log Alpha-Ultarus #1002333 Commencing.....

-Visual Inload Complete.

They think they have control, they think they lie safe at night. If only they had the sight to know that thinking is not knowing.

Every man can think, and every man can die. I have seen their death's a thousand times over, each time more gruesome than the last.

They die screaming, crying, begging. The safety and the stability provided by the false Emperors Imperium that has marked their lives.....an illusion.

Many will die, but many more will take to the change we bring.

Even now they whisper to them. From the darkest corners to the darkest souls, the black itself calls out.

Like fire it will spread. And like fire it will consume.

Calth will burn, and only the ashes of a dying sun will remain.

-Replay Terminated......Extreme Visual Stress Identified.

Aviv was a quick job, and I simply attempted to make for a tabletop standard with this lad. The idea behind him is the entity that chose him was of tzeentch mark and instead of giving him full blown daemon like properties it gives him an insight into the future, or at least versions of it. He still is larger than a standard Marine so he is clearly possesed and modified by that entity physically aswell. Looking back on the pictures I can see small areas my blending went array so i will have to fix those up, and im completely upset with the purple on the daemon head upon his pauldron but oh well I was bored and did a quick job. I think this took me 4.5 hours? Anywho, hope you like him or at least his story.

P.S, to any who spotted the necrons on the base, I know they don't fit in heresy but I thought it added an interesting thought. How many worlds conquered in the great crusade were actually Tomb worlds? Could Calth be one? Idk, i just liked the base. MORE FISTS IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE!

med_gallery_82040_10175_29247.jpg

Veteran Legionaire Gaian Octavian: Pict capture siege of Terra day 8

"Loyalty, brotherhood, honor". When Octavian spoke to his former brother and friend Taver Teem of the Emperors "Children", those were the words that left his mouth.

When Taver attempted to coax Octavian over to the traitors, nothing seemed to penetrate his former battle brothers tough skin, as Gaian never uttered a word in response.

He simply Stared.

Why stay with them, you are above these filth Gai!

Still no words. It is recorded Taver grew tired at his game, and charged Octavian. When the dust settled and Octavian stood over the traitor, it is then he finally spoke. "I stay for the standards we once held together.......You know them well enough"

You need not say them....

"But I must. Before you achieve a peace you do not deserve, you must be reminded of your oath."

I will meet no peace! My soul will be eaten by the perfect one just as yours will......*delusional laughing distorts proceeding words*

As Taver bled, under a muffled vox broadcast Gaian spoke his oath.

"Loyalty, brotherhood, honor"

And like that, a fallen angel died at the hand of an exalted one.

Octavian was a brainchild of the idea of a besieged force scavenging for gear after a skirmish to replenish lost fighting supplies. The idea for his pose is that he is striding over a wrecked shrine yard scavenging ammunition and grenades from his fallen foes. The pad on his left shoulder was used to replace a unsalvageable mk2 pad, and was the only pad i had lying around (its a really old bt pad i painted some 6 years ago lol) so to cover up the bad paint job I took to damaging it up(had no stripping chemicals for the paint).

the idea behind the plate jerry rigged to his pad is that mk2 is the least armored variant of astartes battle-plate, so he attempts to up armor with whatever he can (kind of like Sherman tank crews during ww2)

Anywho, thanks for looking! Also ive got a package coming from FW as I type this with some breachers, 10 more tac marines, and 5 destroyers, Should be interesting :smile.:

DimDim

While I really like the concept of field repairs to his armour (what MkV should be), I'm not overly keen on the kroot grenade on it. Personally, I'd cut it off, but maybe leave the rope to show how the plate connects to the pad. I like the amount of thought that you put into your base, and if you carry it over to the rest of your army, you should have an amazing looking force.

The word bearer is nicely done. Is it just the clam pack marine, with a MkIV helm, or is there more conversion work involved.

Keep up the good work.

It's logs like these that make the heresy harder to resist. With time, and money pressures, it may never happen, but it's nice to think about, and nice to see others showing off their 30k marines.

Dallo

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY,

so I haven't been around on this log in a while, but i assure you the work continues! The first 10 of the 20 man tac squad I have is built and awaiting paint from amazon. Forge world order has still not shown up yet either, but should be here soon i reckon.

No fluff today, just a update picture, this time with.....wait for it........ FILTERS!

Enter the band of brothers

med_gallery_82040_10175_27645.jpg

If you also pay close attention you can see that many marines are off their scenic bases and on plain painting ones........does that possibly hint to the first arrival of actually painted Fists? :P

While I really like the concept of field repairs to his armour (what MkV should be), I'm not overly keen on the kroot grenade on it. Personally, I'd cut it off, but maybe leave the rope to show how the plate connects to the pad. I like the amount of thought that you put into your base, and if you carry it over to the rest of your army, you should have an amazing looking force.

The word bearer is nicely done. Is it just the clam pack marine, with a MkIV helm, or is there more conversion work involved.

Keep up the good work.

It's logs like these that make the heresy harder to resist. With time, and money pressures, it may never happen, but it's nice to think about, and nice to see others showing off their 30k marines.

Dallo

Dallo, the WB is just the clam pack marine with some, while not difficult, brute kitbashing. His head is molded in there and boy is it a pain to get out lol.

I also took your advice on the grenade. While I was planning to paint it up as a sort of bell or a thurible(in brass/gold) I decided to scrap it and ad a templars cross in its place.

Thanks as always,

DimDim/Dimitri/Batman

Good to see you still posting DimDim. Can we get some close ups please? I'm interested in the vox guy, and the fellow in the front right. Is he the sarge with a grenade launcher combi? Do you have a new photo of the kroot pad guy?

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Good to see you still posting DimDim. Can we get some close ups please? I'm interested in the cox guy, and the fellow in the front right. Is he the sarge with a grenade launcher combi? Do you have a new photo of the kroot pad guy?

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Ask and thou shall receive!

med_gallery_82040_10175_41439.jpg

Firstly I apologize for the craptastic photo. I promise better ones when I get to the fluff, ive just been bogged down by real life (CURSE YOU HOLIDAYS...hehe just kidding plz dont leave.......i wub woo..)

Secondly, the vox guy is a kitbash due to me not wanting to pay for the mk2/3 upgrade set as I only really like the mk4 command head but not the mk4 vox casters head and I didnt want to buy both. He is comprized of some mk6 legs, mk2 right arm, torso, head (green stuff work to get that mk2 vox feel) and pads, a mk3 left arm because...... well why not? Finally his "vox" is a imperial guard or whatever crazy name they have nowadays caster pack.

I posed him to look like he is getting a transmission in or is possibly transmitting himself, and therefore actually doing his job and not just lugging it around lol.

The grenade launcher guy is just another standard marine, but with a bit of logic/ease of use thrown onto him.

So firstly I gave him the launcher because who doesnt love a good old m203, and i plan on playing these marines in 30k and 40k games. This launcher stands in for a missile launcher in 40k, as I feel that lugging around a giant antitank launcher is rather impractical, when you could just fire a krak or frag grenade out of a underslung launcher.

But thats just my opinion and as everyone knows, everybody's got one of those :smile.:

Edit: looking closer it appears the resin of the marines and the launcher are different, while the launcher is direct from FW the marines where a buy off ebay.....

I feel I may have been duped. Oh well, if they are fakes they know how to cast extremely well lol.

See yall next time,

Brother Dimicus DimDimopolis

I like the posing in your box guy. Was he MkIII arm awkward to repose? Is it just one of the standard bolter holding left hands? I see you're a fan of the kroot rifle strap. They work well on loads of projects.

Interesting concept for the marine with a noob tube. I feel that it could use a little work. If it had been me, I'd have replaced the bolter clip with a straight clip, then pushed the launcher back till it was flush with the clip.mat the minute, there is an unsightly gap.

Keep up the good work Dim

Dallo

P.S. Does the whole "Ask and ye shall receive" thing apply to actual models? You could totally buy me some MkIII Legion Armour. ;)

Well it looks like this is slowly devolving into a standard work log rather than a fluff based one, but school and life has really got in the way with the holidays and exams rocking my work schedule. But updates I will give none the less!

Got my destroyers in, built four (waiting on bits for the sergeant) primed them white to look for mold lines because ill be painting them next, then glued em to my personal resin cast painting bases (they will be remounted to the gw ones they came with after) . Sorry the lighting is shabby, hope you dont mind.

med_gallery_82040_10175_6107.jpg

Also built a chosen marine AKA meatshield AKA extra invuln save form my praetor:

med_gallery_82040_10175_12701.jpg

And the veteran sergeant foe my tac squad:

med_gallery_82040_10175_1201.jpg

Btw Dallo, the grenade launcher was meant to mimic a gp russian launcher mounted under ak74's as I feel the phobos is more the ak of the bolter series while the tigrus is the illustrious M4 carbine.

Hope you like em! Comments and suggestions plz!

DimDim

Imperial Fist destroyers? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that the illustrious VIIth Legion would stoop to such depths.

Dallo

BOY HAVE I GOT A SURPRISE FOR YOU :tongue.:

med_gallery_82040_10175_6122.jpg

Im gonna spin with the idea that even though they are destroyers, their position within the fists is more of honor than of rejection like within other legions. These marines are marked for death, they are going to die whether by the hand of a foe or by their own weapons, so i thought "hey you know what? their aint no story behind the fist destroyers, so why not forge my own?" I like the idea that they are all volunteers whether they be normal marines who heard the call or disgraced fists looking for redemption. So im going to paint laurel leafs upon their helms to show that they are honored in their sacrifice for their legion. Is a necessary evil truly evil?

DimDim

:huh.: Touche. As you may have guessed, I haven't read any of the FW Heresy books.

I like Destroyers, especially loyalists, as they have a duality to them, which makes for very arresting story telling. Are they, as you ask, truly evil, or do they just do what has to be done? In the end, does it even matter?  

I'll be keeping an eye out to see their background.

Keep up the good work sir.

Dallo

First off thanks to everybody for the kind words! You guys are definitely the best source for inspiration to keep hobbying!

Well it is a sad day, but it looks like the fluff train isnt arriving anytime soon due to well frankly everything. Life decided now was the most ideal time to throw excess garbage on me plus the holidays, so i just don't have time. I will try and do asmany quick little hobby updates as possible, but work has slowed heavily. (Damn shopping for the girlfriend on christmas lol)

Anyways here is a WIP on my vexilla:

med_gallery_82040_10175_2274.jpg

I didnt like the FW vexilla, so i decided to design my own with inspiration from the roman vexilla of ancient times. Think "PREPARE TO DEFEND THE EAGLE!" and all that!

I bet you wont be able to guess what that pole is made from.....(hint: its a plastic panther barrel from flames of war :biggrin.:)

The vex isnt done, and neither is the bearer, as I plan on green stuffing some fur onto his right pad as a direct homage to the wolf pelts roman vexillas would wear.

Finally, a cookie to the lad or lass who guesses whats going to be mounted on this Wip base:

med_gallery_82040_10175_17187.jpg

As always,

Dimitri

Archived