Black Library Advent Calendar 2014

Never_born

Hi folks.

I'm sure most of you have already spotted that this year we've once again got an advent calendar from Black Library.

I've added a quick post on my blog about the advent calendar as a whole, including my thoughts on what's coming up based on the icons for each day : 

Black Library Advent Calendar 2014http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/black-library-advent-calendar-2014/

I'm going to be aiming for a short review of each story as and when they come out (200 words or so). The first one is up now : 

The Final Compliance of Sixty-Three Fourteen by Guy Haleyhttp://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/the-final-compliance-of-sixty-three-fourteen-guy-haley/

Any thoughts on the stories as they come out, or the reviews, let me know!

Neverborn

Just finnished Cold Roads about the Brazen Claws.

My 2 trains of thought:

1) Joe does a great job of continuing off his work in No Worse Sin. I liked both of his shorts, and the ending on this one will likely still take a while for me to understand, but he is consistant with his world building with the Brazen Claws. Well done.

2) It's unfortunate when a short about a very lesser known Chapter, erases many ideas you have bubbling in your mind juice, as well as hobby progress you have made. The chapter gets taken in one direction, that just so happens to not be your direction, and there has to be some give at some point. It's unfortunate when it happens, but what are you going to do? You always read in the stickies that it could happen, which is a large pro to creating your own from scratch, then trying to add to an existing one. It might be a sign to try my hand and apply all my ideas to something else.

I actually really like how authors are using what are essentially inconsistencies in the lore to create interesting stories. Between the Brazen Claw's crusade and the Doom Legion's partial fall to chaos, all we're missing is a story about the twin chapters of the Emperor's Swords and I'll be happy.

On the eighth day of Christmas...not one but six short stories! All about the Blood Angels, stories from Dan Abnett, James Swallow, Chris Wraight, David Annandale, Mark Clapham and Ray Harrison.

One blog post with short reviews of all six...

http://trackofwords.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/quick-review-blood-angels-short-stories-black-library-advent-calendar-2014/

Neverborn

Spot on, isn't it? I wonder if this is a precursor to more BAs from Jim Swallow, with Knights of Blood included, or if he's just teasing us?!

Oh, man. If Swallow wrote a Knights of Blood series, I'd buy three copies of each book. One to read, one to lend, and one to keep safe for my children.

For Vorax, or the whole subscription?

Vorax is only 99p, so not much of a risk. The subscription certainly is a fair investment - so far the standard of story has, in my opinion, been pretty high, and I've very much enjoyed it all. I'm an overall fan of 40k though, without any particular faction bias, so I like the range of stories and factions. Barring perhaps the Aeonid Thiel audio there probably hasn't been anything absolutely essential to wider story arcs, but it's all been interesting stuff, with plenty of possibilities for future threads. So content-wise I'd say it's looking good so far, personally.

In terms of value, short stories/shorter audios are obviously never going to be as good value as full-length books, but as far as BL pricing goes it's looking about right so far. By my count, so far the content has been of a value of £26 for 10 days of content. 25 days at an average of £2.60 per day is £65, hence the total cost. Plus a free book (which looks like it might be about Khârn) for subscribers. Overall, not bad in my opinion - given that I personally enjoy short stories and like dipping into a wide range of topics.

Long and short - don't buy if you only go for paperbacks/ebooks, but if you're already a consumer of shorts/audio then it makes sense to pay up front and get the free book at the end.

That make sense/help?

For Vorax, or the whole subscription?

Vorax is only 99p, so not much of a risk. The subscription certainly is a fair investment - so far the standard of story has, in my opinion, been pretty high, and I've very much enjoyed it all. I'm an overall fan of 40k though, without any particular faction bias, so I like the range of stories and factions. Barring perhaps the Aeonid Thiel audio there probably hasn't been anything absolutely essential to wider story arcs, but it's all been interesting stuff, with plenty of possibilities for future threads. So content-wise I'd say it's looking good so far, personally.

In terms of value, short stories/shorter audios are obviously never going to be as good value as full-length books, but as far as BL pricing goes it's looking about right so far. By my count, so far the content has been of a value of £26 for 10 days of content. 25 days at an average of £2.60 per day is £65, hence the total cost. Plus a free book (which looks like it might be about Khârn) for subscribers. Overall, not bad in my opinion - given that I personally enjoy short stories and like dipping into a wide range of topics.

Long and short - don't buy if you only go for paperbacks/ebooks, but if you're already a consumer of shorts/audio then it makes sense to pay up front and get the free book at the end.

That make sense/help?

Perfect, cheers mate. Absolutely - I meant the whole lot, at worst, I could pick up the Heresy shorts thereafter. Will probably weigh up just afterwards - and depending on your reviews too haha.

Archived