Combat Augment Array

Veloces

Does anyone know how this relic works exactly. 

The wording is (IMO) fairly ambiguous.

Either it allows you to make 1 dice roll count as a six, which is alright but I don't know if its worth 35 points. 

The other possibility is it lets you count every dice roll on that character as a 6 for that turn. This would allow you to solo a 2500 point model in 1 turn.   

Have I missed some important piece of information regarding this? Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions to share?

No one knows for sure... there'll probably be another big debate any second, lol!

Here's the exact rules text for reference:

Once per game, declared at the beginning of the controlling player’s player turn, the character may count any dice roll as automatically rolling a 6. At the end of that player turn, the model should make a Toughness test for every wound they have remaining. Each failed test results in the character sustaining a wound, with no saves of any kind or Feel No Pain rolls possible.

I read it that it is a SINGLE roll in the turn, else it's beyond broken. Moritat chain fire? Paragon blade? No way it's every roll.

Also up for debate is whether you specify the exact roll when you declare which turn you will use it or just the turn then declare immediately before rolling for something that that roll will be the 6. I expect that the latter is correct; that you just declare the turn.

To be honest I read that as many dice rolls as I wish. But it is ambiguous. The dice roll doesn't have to be plural to apply to more than one. For example, "I am so heavy that any chair I sit on collapses". That doesn't mean one chair, it means all of them I sit on.  If it meant a single dice roll it should have been "may count a single dice roll to be a six". But given the slack nature of the writing in general (something they get no where near as much grief for as GW proper), they may well have meant that.  What it will mean is that it will at least be clarified that it can't apply to Chain Fire.

I do agree if it was every roll it would be extremely over powered, but as Thunor says the wording means it can be interpreted as every dice roll. 

If it is that way, the most important thing is knowing what counts as a dice roll from the character.

For example, if I had my Archmagos charge into a super heavy, hit with all my attacks, penned with all my attacks, would the explode result die that I roll always count as a 6? and then the D3 after that? If it does then this is insanely strong. 

Another example would be the nanyte blaster. Would the dice you roll to see if the enemy explodes be considered as a dice roll from the character, because if it is... well that could end very badly or very well depending on your perspective. 

I would say the damage chart is not rolled by the character, but by the target. Same as the saving throw. If the damage chart was always a '6' I'd argue the same should be as well.

My copy of Conquest hasn't arrived yet so I'm only going on the rule quoted above. FW have shown that they will neff stuff so I would be careful building my army around anything that seems 'broken'.

But equally... it could be that the Augment Array allowed the point on a target vehicle hit by the character's attack to be more destructive. Hit the reactor coolant rather than turret ring, for example. In such case the rolling of damage is the characters roll.

Mr. Bligh is going to get some mountains of mail over these Relics!

In regards to the toughness test, on an Archmagos with toughness 6 and cyber familiar... its really nothing to worry about. I honestly think the penalty should be more severe.  

Also in the 7th ed rulebook it simply says 

After deducting any Hull Points, roll a D6 for each shot that penetrated the vehicle's armour and look up the result using the vehicle damage table.

It doesn't exactly specify who has to roll the dice. 

This from Grey Area on heresy30k:

I have received a reply from FW regarding the Combat Augment Array.

Hi David,

Thank you for your email. We have just spoken to Alan Bligh about the Combat Augment Array Relic and this applies to only 1 single dice roll and NOT every dice roll that turn.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

Although the wording may not be totally clear still, from speaking to FW over the phone the 'dice roll' refers to the rolling of a single die, hence counting the result as 'a 6' (singular).

So looks like it isn't as broken as we'd feared.

A free automatic instant death wound from a praetor's pretty badass.

It's not free (it costs quite a few points), the wound can still be saved by an invul, and will likely cost your Praetor 1 wound at the end of the turn (3 T tests on T4, 33% chance of failure, 1 wound taken on average).  It's good to hear that it's not as insane as first impressions might have made it seem, but the only thing this clarification does is add it to the list of nigh-useless relics.  Not to mention that two of the relics that aren't useless grant EW.

Archived