The new relics in Conquest are a mess of sloppily written and poorly balanced rules. So let's replace them!
We should probably come to a consensus on whether we're trying to design cheap, sane wargear, or wildly expensive and wildly powerful wargear.
Starting off, I had a couple ideas:
Combat Augment Array (Legion and SA only) - 30 points
At any point, the bearer of this relic may declare that they are activating the array, and must then immediately take a toughness test. Should they fail, they immediately take a wound with no saves of any kind allowed (including FNP) and suffer -1 T for the rest of the game. Should they succeed, they may then choose the result of any single die in a roll they are about to make. The array may be activated multiple times to choose the result of multiple dice before the bearer makes their roll, requiring a separate toughness test for each activation. The Combat Augment Array may not be used for its associated toughness test or for rolls on the above table. The Toughness penalties are cumulative throughout the game, and do affect instant death thresholds.
1. Restrict it from being used by the Mechanicum, as they will have an unfair advantage when it comes to the toughness tests.
2. Force players to choose whether they use it before they roll, so that they don't get to try their luck and then only activate the array if their dice results suck. It's a dangerous double-edged sword, that you must accept the risks of before you gain the benefits.
3. Remove the chance for it to kill you outright through the multiple toughness tests, but still keep it dangerous to use.
Indomitan Mantle (Imperial Fists Only) - 35 points
The Indomitan mantle grants the bearer the Eternal Warrior USR, as well as +1 to any invul save they may have (to a maximum of 3+). If they do not currently have an invulnerable save, they gain a 5+ invulnerable save instead.
1. 3+ vs melta only is a little naff
2. Relic was overpriced for what it does. Now, going by other pricing
-5 points more expensive than salamander mantle + refractor field
-Indomintan Mantle + Refractor Field same price as salamander mantle + iron halo
-Indomitan Mantle + Iron Halo 5 points more expensive than salamander mantle + dragonscale SS + IH
It's a good bargain at those prices, as well as allowing a character to gain a bonus attack for 2 weapons by not being a storm shield. The power level is nothing new or surprising, and its value is limited by being a one-per-army relic.