Der H's Hobby - ETL 2018 Pledge complete

Der_H

The first one mate! Those drills have got to grind against each other, so to speak.

All this Crimson Fist business has me champing at the bit to build some filthy xenos, in a rather fitting shade of green...

You forgot to mention the airbrush station!

Also, when I suggested a Rapture theme for the hobby bunker, you didn't have to take it so literally! :laugh.:

Haha, yea I'm hoping to avoid a repeat tomorrow!

I meant with or without the housing from the drill kit I.e. Have them set into the normal connie claw or set them into the drill housing and fit that to the connie claw.... It adds length but makes it a bit odd!

Right....so now that Ive stopped bleeding...

Progress - basement! The extractor, plugs and some of the ceiling are in!

But then I gave up - tired!

So I did a little more on the drill.

I decided to go for a half way house between my last two ideas, so ended up with this as the basic structure.

Ive started on making the artificer parts....it is slow going, but I have two key options:

It is a part from the Warders shield carved off (hence the bleeding...) but not sure it works. The plasticard has more detail but hard to see on the pictures...thoughts?

The plasticard seems... a little off? Maybe vertical strips running away from the drill, as opposed to one long strip wrapped around the forearm would work?

That aside, your basement is looking great; any plans to mask that awful brickwork?

Actually...I just realised I'm really not a good sculptor...luckily, Forgeworld have many many sculptors...one of whom made a gorgeous IF shield....

Now kit bashing, that I feel more at home with!

What do you guys think?

The plasticard seems... a little off? Maybe vertical strips running away from the drill, as opposed to one long strip wrapped around the forearm would work?

That aside, your basement is looking great; any plans to mask that awful brickwork?

Indeedy there is! We're going to basically wire brush it back, and re-paint with several neater coats. lots of boxing off of areas still but progress is being made.

Yea (as you can see above!) I wasn't sure on the plasticard. I tried to replicate the structure in the artwork but I'm...well, just not that good! Ah well, gotta love FW shields!

• 3 weeks later...

Basement Progress update 1!

So we have some progress on the basement! It has been a bit of a slog but we have a ceiling and have finally done the first scrim of the gaps….and some are pretty big!

Whilst that was drying we made SO much progress!

This is the basic structure of the hobbying desk. It’s in the bay at the front of the basement and gives loads of space. A strip light above is for general hobby lighting.

We also made progress on the wargaming/storage table. This is based on two IKEA Kallax shelving units on their sides with castors! Lengths of wood give the rigidity and the extendibility. The long strips sit as two lots of 4. The middle two aren’t fixed in place but have doweling underneath. This makes them extendible but only within limits.

Overall we have a 4.8 ft (best part of 5 ft!!) by 6ft table, with the option to extend to 4.8x7 or even 4.5x8 foot. Top is made of 12mm MDF and is screwed into the secure bits!! Not bad eh!! (Just need to get some games in soon I guess!)

Also made some progress on my slaughter priest; Behold his unfinished glory!

I’m thinking of having the left hand interchangeable – when I eventually get Fulgrim (and shamelessly steal Kizz’s idea/pose/everything!) Ill have a pinned left hand with Blade of the Laer and a flaming sword interchangeably. I’d like to have Lucius wield the Blade of the Laer if Fulgrim isn’t in on the action/40k games – this model is certainly big enough.
Backpack will have more detail and be wired into the torso at key points. Probably model some plugs into his chest/back to represent fixing points for armour. Loin cloth etc TBC…
Head wise, I’m keen on the alternative slaughter priest head but don’t want to drop lots on the model…any advice from anyone for alternatives that are A) large enough :cool.: shouting! C) Suitable to carve deep cuts into.

Overall I love this model, it’s big…really big, so he needs to feel like a favoured and exhalted Slaaneshi champion made larger as a reward for service. Thinking post heresy mainly but maybe late heresy also. Going for a pit fighting/bare chest to relish the sensation of cuts/add to his network of scars….

Comments, ideas and criticism welcomed!

Basement Progress update 2!

We have some shelves!

Also finished off the hobby desk AND built an airbrush station - all with the help of Brother Handro of course!

of course....as every true IIIrd legion fan will agree...perfection is sweet! (PS i promise that is actually resting on something!)

Got a run of nights this week but Thursday will be a day to tidy the ceiling and paint the walls white & stain the desks...might even have a finished hobby space by the end of next week...although I still needs to run some power to the desks....

Damn you and your eyes :wink: (granted it is 6 pixels on the left and 8 on the right of the bubble!) We found several instances where, due to the level of the floor, one side of a shelf was 15mm shorter than the other!

I have brought shame upon my legion...although as Handro knows I think I'm more suited to be one of Angron's boys.

Yea the bare wood will be stained with a light oak stain. Nothing too exciting but it needs treating down there for damp reasons. Going with an outdoor stain, sacrifice finish for damp protection.

That spirit level is off, slightly.

THAT'S. NOT. PERFECTION.

All jokes aside, glad to see the basement is coming along well; planning on performing any TLC on the wood?

By a micron....a damned micron hahahahahah

Seriously....That room...

Damn you and your eyes :wink: (granted it is 6 pixels on the left and 8 on the right of the bubble!) We found several instances where, due to the level of the floor, one side of a shelf was 15mm shorter than the other!

I have brought shame upon my legion...although as Handro knows I think I'm more suited to be one of Angron's boys.

Yea the bare wood will be stained with a light oak stain. Nothing too exciting but it needs treating down there for damp reasons. Going with an outdoor stain, sacrifice finish for damp protection.

That's all because you decided to rapture your damned bunker hahaha, but in hobby rooms, you need functionality over aesthetic. Yes wall art and stuff comes later, but get the functionality done first

Been keeping that Master of Signal dude quiet, never seen him before! :ph34r.:  I likes him...

Slaanterpriest is looking better and better. The whip works so well!

The head will set it off, but I can't really think of anything for it as yet...

Yea I need a good head for this guy - need to add lots of deep cuts to make him clearly Lucius. I forgot I made that guy tbh! joys of mini-hobby sessions with a small portion of my gear out at any given moment. I'm getting some more character series stuff done today rather than DIY (nights and all that!) - you might be able to guess who!

That's all because you decided to rapture your damned bunker hahaha, but in hobby rooms, you need functionality over aesthetic. Yes wall art and stuff comes later, but get the functionality done first

Quite right Sir! I can add lots of soft bits later, but the good old Victorian basement in the North West of England will ALWAYS be damp (with or without my help :wink: ) I'm going to have to think carefully about power - I'm no electrician, and although I'm happy to run some sockets to the airbrush booth and the hobby desk, I also need to run power for a freezer/fridge in the corner.....hmmmmm

To be honest I'm still amazed, given Der_H's proclivity towards drilling/hammering everything, all the time, that anything is screwed together and not just blasted full of holes...   :laugh.:

The progress has been so swift, I hope you/we can keep it up when it comes to actual hobbying/campaigning!

I'm still leaning towards a Rapture theme, it'll be the in-joke that never dies (or should that be dries?)

To be honest I'm still amazed, given Der_H's proclivity towards drilling/hammering everything, all the time, that anything is screwed together and not just blasted full of holes... :laugh.:

The progress has been so swift, I hope you/we can keep it up when it comes to actual hobbying/campaigning!

I'm still leaning towards a Rapture theme, it'll be the in-joke that never dies (or should that be dries?)

It will be an ongoing in-joke no-drought about that...

Victorian era was very...wet...but I'm surprised at how awesome it's all come together. You might want to run some exterior power cable/exterior sockets in there - what being waterproof n all so that it's a bit safer.

"Yes dear I'm just ....bzzzappp... Painting"

To be honest I'm still amazed, given Der_H's proclivity towards drilling/hammering everything, all the time, that anything is screwed together and not just blasted full of holes... :laugh.:

It will be an ongoing in-joke no-drought about that...

Victorian era was very...wet...but I'm surprised at how awesome it's all come together. You might want to run some exterior power cable/exterior sockets in there - what being waterproof n all so that it's a bit safer.

"Yes dear I'm just ....bzzzappp... Painting"

That is a good idea actually, outdoor sockets. There are already some standard ones (and the fuse box is in there too!) but Ill keep that in mind.

Looking great, I was recently digging around for a reference to make a Siege Claw for one of my Contemptors, saw this thread and instantly knew what I needed to do with some minor modifications to make it my own. Thank you for that.

Hope you're able to have a lot of great games in that room, your Legion is coming along nicely as well.

Archived