Der H's Hobby - ETL 2018 Pledge complete

Der_H

@Kizz - Yea I was thinking about how to do that now some paints on. I used boiling water when they were bare but they're been sat so long that they've sagged again. Don't want to ruin the paint. Also notice a MASSIVE mold line along the haft of the close up...

@Kizz - Yea I was thinking about how to do that now some paints on. I used boiling water when they were bare but they're been sat so long that they've sagged again. Don't want to ruin the paint. Also notice a MASSIVE mold line along the haft of the close up...

A hairdryer might be able to do it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I love the basement - bit cold this time of the year but it's getting better!

I'm going to try and get some better pictures next week and get my tartaros finished.

I'm struggling with a plan for the next steps for this army. I love jet bikes, and have very little FA as yet so might splash out on some. Similarly, another unit of Phoenix guard will go nicely with fulgrim! Alternatively I have my own kitbash kakophoni who could be bolstered by two sets of FWs beauties to make a 3rd company elite list!

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly, slowly....

Cant hobby too fast or I might run out of halfords gray miniatures!

Tartaros WIP - This is the last bit of my L&T III vow, so want to get it done this weekend ideally!]

Original post:

I spent a little time today re-basing my whole army..... I had this planned for some time but just needed the push to do it! larger size bases for all, and resorting to a simple agrellan badlands base with some models having some extra detail. I also have a shipment of grass tufts of various sizes in dry plant colours so next week should have them spread throughout my army! I also finally got around to sealing them all. No clouding or loss of detail - although not hobby specific it has worked well!

• 2 weeks later...

Primus medicae and apothecaries blocked out and some washes done - a long way to go yet, including the white on one of the apothecaries, but hopefully I'll get them done this week.

Also finished up my bases as part of what shall be known as "the great re-basing"!

Beautiful work!

As for straightening out the spears, ive always found ising a hair dryer is more reliable for me. Hair dryer on high heat for 3-4 minutes should make it nice and pliable, then form it right and quickly put it under cold running water to "shock harden it" and it should stay.

I have no idea how it will affect a painted model, but i imagine it should be a lot better than boiling water :)

@coldfyre I think you're probably right! Will give it a go this week.

I'm quite pleased with this army now. I'm lacking FA slots so have a plan for 6 Jetbikes, 10 seekers and a storm eagle in the next 6 months. Storm eagle may even carry fulgrim and some Phoenix guard as a not-spartan Death Star!

Still, a land raider of any type would be nice. Back in the day I had a plastic landraider on day one of release, completely messed up the door hinge!

My other projects will need some time soon, at least my scouring era crimson fists, but I have my eyes on alpha legion also!

You can airbrush pigments as well Der_h, you are basically just spraying thinners (white spirit or airbrush thinner, doesnt really matter) and add a small amount of powder to the cup and give it a good shake to agitate the pigment. Ive just done that on all my SoH tanks and they have come out great. The best part is the pigment is really durable when applied this way, opposed to brushing it on and using rubbing alcohol to seal it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am unleashed! Internet woes have prevented me from posting my latest progress until now; My apothecarion detachment is now complete!

Next up, some characters, Lord Commander Eidolon, two plastic dreads and then who knows what!

Thoughts?

Nice work on the Apothecaries!! I am having a little binge on an Apothecarion of my own, so you beat me to it! It is a great idea and very fitting for the EC!

I am really liking the use of the Kakophoni, i've already used one and have a WIP with one of the bare headed ones. You are tempting me to get some more!!

Nice work on the Apothecaries!! I am having a little binge on an Apothecarion of my own, so you beat me to it! It is a great idea and very fitting for the EC! I am really liking the use of the Kakophoni, i've already used one and have a WIP with one of the bare headed ones. You are tempting me to get some more!!

I know what you mean - the IIIrd and their high number of apothecaries mixed with the whole Fabulous Bill side of things makes them a great project. I need to neaten up one of the pads - my varnish clouded but only on that one piece...might be a reaction to the micro sol/set i used...

Great to see the Apothecarion assembled!

What Dreads are you working on now?

Nothing too crazy, but I got hold of two plastic contemptors on the cheap from a bits site 50% sale. I have some other arms and a missile launcher too so they're going to be a fully magnetised talon of dreads. I like the look of the leviathan but ill keep that for a different legion project

Great looking Apothecaries, dude :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy! My painting is slowly improving (I think!)

• 2 weeks later...

I know I said dreads & characters were next but....meh....

With FW "last-chance-to-buy"-ing the IA books I finally caved in and bought Vraks! I've wanted this book for ever and even if the rules will be dead in a matter of months, I can use them for 7th games, and even just for fluff...now if only the money fairy would donate £800 of DKoK i'd be even happier...

Failing this I thought I'd crack on with some terrain. Few of you will remember this attempt http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302891-wip-trench-boards

...it was a start, nice features but poorly planned and, although modular, difficult to use.

Inspired by the Vraks FW terrain (also lost to the ages...where does the time go...) I re-did my trenches:

I carved out the trenches with 16cm long sections (some shorter) with a 120 degree angle (similar to the SoV trenches from FW).

Trench walls were lined with corrugated card and wooden uprights. There are several muddy ends and several ramps for vehicles/artillary to hunker down; these (and all of the edges of trenches, will be heavily built up with sand bags.

The trenches represent those on the Agri world of Grandia (Brother Handro and I have supposedly started a series of narrative campaign battles...) so have fields across all the boards. These will be clipped and trimmed/burnt back to make a less even surface, and will be sprayed dark/black for burn sections.

Each board also has a new wooden edge, to add stability and a clean edge to the joins. Ive also made them near-fully modular. The edges ive added mean all trenches ending at a board edge/road will have a tarp and a wooden frame to represent passages or other hidden access. The boards could be set up as one road down the middle, two roads (one down each edge) or theoretically a T junction.

Still a long way to go with trench boards, tidying of the filler, texture, colour, sandbags, tarps, burning fields and other details but one day...one day...

The grass is a coir door mat from Argos, pretty cheap way of making fields. All of this was one mat and I have another for modular fields for other terrain projects.

Difficult bit is sticking it down. Even contact adhesive/no more nails struggles some times!

Archived