Vulkan - Primarch of the Salamanders

Brassangel

Gorgeous understated work. I can imagine Vulkan's a challenge to paint, with his forge-black skin and red eyes. I think the muted palette you've used works well to keep attention on his face while also having vibrancy in the armour. Little touches like the blue-black gem echoing the highlights on the cloak's scales really help to tie the scheme together.

I particularly like that the green of the armour is the most obvious element. The trim, while important, is secondary – great balancing. :)

Is Vulkan actually black though, or is that a side effect from his home planet?

The first description we have of his skin was following a skirmish against Dark Eldar. He killed 100 of them by himself (at just four years old), and was described as having "granite-like flesh". Whether he was born with it, or it developed is uncertain.

There is a particular type of background radiation on Nocturne when it mixed with Vulkan's genetics upon his arrival made his skin charcoal black and his eyes bright red.  This in turn effects all of the Astartes in the Salamanders legion once they receive his geneseed regardless of what planet they're from.

this is awesome, as said the armor is the eye candy part, that green is very nice wub.png

as to his skin colour, i wonder what colour skin his legion had that were genetically made on Terra before he was found(the emperor had legions of troops for each primarch already for them when they were found.....) i understand the new guys getting his geneseed after he was found were Black/granitey skin coloured...

Mithril

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I disagree and have never cared for the highlighting of the gold, bronze, and brass colors with silver.

Totally agree, I have never seen "yellow" metals reflect silver. I also prefer a more......ethnic look to the sallies. But damn fine painting. Excellent job.

Yeah, I got into the game in 3rd when Sallies looked like black people, which was a nice change imho. Supposedly, they were Space Drow from the very beginning but I think it looks ridiculous. (No offense to the awesome paint job - I just don't like what skin and eye color choices they made for the Sallies.)

Archived