as just about everybody else in this subforum, I picked up a Battle At Calth set today. I then promptly tossed the tiles and crap aside and nearly creamed my pants over the models. I most definetely did not squee and start thinking of how to get more. No sir I didnt. *ahem*

I was pretty busy the rest of the day, so didnt get to explore the box any further. I did put off some sleep to chop up and modify the Cataphractii Praetor however, who is going to start my 30k Wolves.

I know I said I'd wait until the Wolves were officially released, but patience isnt my strongest trait and these models were so pretty I could not say no.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/6F62517F-9089-4CEA-BA9F-24D38A387881_zpsfzboodp3.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/274B6463-D3A6-45DD-9348-3FD734ED374F_zpsahwrrtjt.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/D919F588-8318-4A16-A60F-D3412B413615_zpsdsebbcs2.jpg

I think the head is a little high, but I didnt trust myself to clip it out and try again. Dont drink and model friends. Im shocked I didnt end up cutting off a finger or something.

All for now.

WLK

Very Nice swap , Really love the way  the frostblade looks with  this model !

Edited by Bladewolf

YES!!!! WLK has taken his place amongst his legion, the venerable 6th...

I was wondering when reinforcements were going to arrive :biggrin.:

That is a sweet Praetor conversion, the fact you have swapped the direction of the head and weapons has really given the model a totally new and dynamic pose.

Utterly brilliant!!

Edited by dantay_xv

@Bladewolf: Thank you. I was a little unsure of the frost blade when I thought of the idea, but am happy with how it turned out. His melta arm is pretty bad though (i had to chop through spare resin cataphractii arms to get something in the gap that would work) and Im hoping to clean it up a bit.

I bought 5 of the SW upgrade kits (for the shoulder pads actually) so Im happy to find a use for the sword. 

Until the Rout get rules, its going to be a paragon blade. 

@Dantay: Well dont hold your breath on reinforcements, i believe this project is going to be a slow burn. The Jarl only got worked on last night between extremely late am/pm laundry loads and a desire to get some use out of the model! He reminds me of the RG Praetor I already have, so that kinda bothers me...

but I think Im going to move ahead with the Rout as a ZM force, using the smaller but readily available Storm Shields from the Space Wolf kit as boarding shields. This allows me to build a small but hurtful force from the contents of the BaC set while still cannibalizing it for my RG, the main project right now. Funny enough, the Deredero dread from the RG Im planning to add to my Wolves and replace it with a full 10 strong Missile Launcher squad. As the RG only get 1 HS choice when using their RoW, its hard to find just 1 that works. I think the multitasking ability of the ML will beat out the Deredero, but cost a heck of a lot more.
A strong reason for this is the image of a Rout Deredero marching along Breacher marines in ZM. Its currently stuck on repeat in my head.

WLK

So it begins.

This isint meant negatively is it ? 

Cause WLK  is very well respected over at the Space Wolves Sub forum and is a multiple time champion of the ETL and exemplar of the Rout in its current form.  I have no doubt that he will  do this force justice. 

So it begins.

This isint meant negatively is it ? 

Cause WLK  is very well respected over at the Space Wolves Sub forum and is a multiple time champion of the ETL and exemplar of the Rout in its current form.  I have no doubt that he will  do this force justice. 

We mean it in this way:

http://media.giphy.com/media/wD7BsjK5zqLew/giphy.gif

Maybe a dumb suggestion, but a Storm Eagle for the RG?

Melta on the front, under slung lascannons and the vengeance missile system would put a crimp in anybody's day. Plus troop mobility!

Also, do not worry, just take your time to enjoy the building and painting side of things.

Out of curiosity would Wolves make a good ally to Raven Guard??

@Bladestorm: Down boy down! Rohr is awesome. He isnt b1soul. 

but thanks for the rest. its always a nice ego boost.

@Slipstreams: I may or may not have had the same image in my head when I opened the kit yesterday.

@Dantay: I have 2 converted from Storm Raven Eagles (meaning a buddy put more "junk in the trunk" to stop the short bus look) The only handicap is it occupies a HS slot (i am looking at buying it as a dedicated transport for vets or cataphractii) and "only" has a few armor punching weapons. The melta gets somewhat negated by the spammed armored ceramite,
I have 2 laser rapiers for the RG and plan on fielding a angry Contemptor talon. 
Its an ongoing question, but I think the talon and Rapiers will be a huge help.

The Rout and the RG...they seem atleast cordial with each other in the few instances of the HH series I have seen (Raptor...regardless of how it ended). I think Russ and Corax would have a good relationship. In fact, Russ actually stopped Corax and Perturabo from coming to blows before Gate 42. 
(Gate 42 for those not in the know. Horus, Russ, Perturabo and Corax come together to smash a rebellion of formerly pacified worlds. Horus wants a big throw down to show Imperial Might [and stroke his ego]. The role of going through the front door goes to Corax and the RG. Corax objects to meatgrinder, saying his Legion can do the same job without the massive losses. Horus orders him to do it, Perturabo calls Corax a coward. A throwdown almost goes down until Russ intervenes. 
The RG perform the role, suffer massive losses, Corax swears to never serve under the Warmaster again. Ironically, the majority of the RG came from the pro-Horus elements of the Legion. Now further purge is needed when the Heresy kicks off.

and since patience isnt my strongest trait:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/96D59075-1C1C-40E7-81EB-1649CAE97F90_zpsk6mtmi5y.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/04FDCF82-3B48-43BC-8B9F-CC1803D250B6_zpshzyyggxg.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/Horus%20Heresy%20Project/70DE80FF-7C97-4FA7-83BF-86133C4A79E3_zps94s6iadm.jpg

The shield looks even smaller than I thought it'd look. I may stick with it, or try the terminator storm shields. They are a damn sight bigger.

WLK

The only issue with the terminator shield might be the height of the top of the cross shape... It might block  LOS a wee bit :)

The 32mm bases make it hard to get a decent shield wall look, because unless you got really wide shields you can't get the interlocking effect. I have actually considered dropping my breacher squad back down to 25mm bases, just for aesthetic purposes.

Thanks for the info on Gate 42 and Corax.

@Dantay: moving back base sizes is an idea. I dont mind the cross blocking LoS, but simply dont have many of the storm shields. Maybe I'll mock up on of them and see how it looks. 

@Slipstreams: Thanks for the correction. Probably just mixed them up in my head. Like I said I got the models, just havent moved forward with them yet. May have to fix that.

WLK

Can rarely go wrong with Amon Amarth ESPECIALLY with Space Wolves :tongue.:

They were certainly the "gateway drug" to a branch of music I had never heard of before. 

Now my Pandora shuffle looks like it belongs to a bi-polar village.

WLK

WLK, you may wanna take a blob of GS and put it on the shield arm should join so that it levels out against his body. You can do the same for the bolter arm and wrist, and it'll appear more 'level'. Also, rules wise a boarding shield is a close combat shield in melee so I wouldn't worry about the size coverage of the marines body.

WLK, you may wanna take a blob of GS and put it on the shield arm should join so that it levels out against his body. You can do the same for the bolter arm and wrist, and it'll appear more 'level'. Also, rules wise a boarding shield is a close combat shield in melee so I wouldn't worry about the size coverage of the marines body.

I will remember that. He was kind of "can I actually do this?" than a final product. 

WLK

They look good.

Where is the head from on your Jarl? I thought it was a TWC head, have you added some GS to it. I think it might be your best Space Wolf to date.

I humbly suggest you name your Jarl Bulveye. Of course you do not have to. The decals you are using are the old 13th company ones from the Eye of Terror codex days. During the HH Bulveye was Jarl of 13th Company, and is still ruling the company in 40K as he, & his Rune Priest help Ragnar defeat Madox, wound Magnus by stabbing him in the eye, end their infernal magicks and retrieve the Spear of Russ :) 

Saying that markings are repeatedly used over time by various Jarls, so you could name him anything you want.

Oh and that breacher shield? It was the exact shield, colour & design I was considering for my Achilles :D

Dagnammit man!!