WarriorFish's AdMech and Knight House Blog

WarriorFish

Don't forget to get a WIP topic going when you start work to let us see your progress :thumbsup:

Speaking of progress - and not for my wallet? - if I were to be getting a Dominus which would be best? I have the single Knight which will at some point be a full Warden with all the options, two Warglaives and I'll probably add two Helverins. This feels like a fairly even split between shooty and stabby, but that makes me think that should I probably lean towards the more shooty Castellan? It seems to me that the Valiant is pretty good but with another Knight and Armigers scuttling about (potentially) there may not be much room, and a fire support lynchpin could be more useful. Any thoughts from experienced pilots welcome :smile.:

A brief takeaway from the 2 Dominus chassis:

-Castellan boasts better ranged firepower, especially the Volcano Lance.  The Plasma Decimator is much less interesting since it's effectively worse than a RFBC (already a poor IK weapon, in general) unless Supercharged, which has the downside of hurting your own Knight.  There is a fix for this: the Cawl's Wrath Relic, which turns the Decimator into a FAR stronger weapon and removes the need to Supercharge (though you still can if you really want something dead), but this NECESSITATES going Questor Mechanicus.  Whether this is OK for you will depend on how you want to run your Knightly House Detachment(s).

-Valiant has more consistent and devastating firepower for anti-horde at close range with the Conflagration Cannon, which like the Plasma Decimator also has a Relic (Traitor's Pyre, Questor Imperialis only) though it's not as necessary here.  The Thundercoil Harpoon is a bit of a crapshoot though; with only 1 shot it's very much an all-or-nothing weapon and the fact that it can deal immense damage is balanced by its terrible range and single-target nature.  Many opponents simply won't have anything big enough to warrant this kind of damage!

Generally speaking, the Castellan is the better choice since it has more obvious synergy of build; you don't really want it getting close because WS 4+ is the pits for Stomping, and the Valiant NEEDS to get within 18" to really get to work.  As for options, 2 twin Siegebreaker Cannons with a pair of Shieldbreaker Missiles is the de facto since your game is likely to be decided by the end of turn 2 anyway (eliminating the need for a third or fourth missile) and/or your Knight is going to be a priority target and get taken out before it gets a third turn in either case.

Thanks Vel, sounds like I was on the right path which is just as well as the Omnissiah has delivered a gift today...

gallery_30308_10604_2547.jpg

Just waiting on the codex to arrive :smile.: Looks like I got that Knight House after all, but I've realised that saying I'm not going to collect a full army means the opposite :laugh.: The Castellan will be something for ETLVII as I'll need to fibre optic that up (of course!), but I may be able to fit the Helverins in for this year. I'm at a 2:2 ratio of Guard:IFOR so I'll need to get some more Guard in first, and the Scions are taking a bit of time to assemble but I do have a spot of free time next week so perhaps the Omnissiah will provide once more :wink:

I'll need to start expanding some lore too, got one or two ideas floating around... as for relic stuff they're an Imperial aligned House so that will restrict me a bit but that's ok. A bit disappointing that the plasma decimator isn't all that great but so it goes!

The Armigers get their first game allied to my Guard, batrep is in the barracks :thumbsup: The codex arrived in the post this morning which was convenient! Though performance overall wasn't amazing I can see the Armigers will be good additions. Mobile and with some potent capabilities they should be able to hunt tanks and other tougher units well :smile.:

Warden sprue is something I'm thinking of now, the carapace weaponry in particular to add a bit more bite to the Edelweiss. There is the Helverins to consider too...

Warden sprue is something I'm thinking of now, the carapace weaponry in particular to add a bit more bite to the Edelweiss. There is the Helverins to consider too...

Just got mine assembled and primed up prior to last weekend!  I'd love to get them on the table but non-40k projects are distracting me for the time being.

• 2 months later...

I'm back with new plans, having got the Kill Team box set and got my first games in yesterday it's time to get serious about some Skitarii :biggrin.: KT is a lot of fun and the perfect way to get started with a small amount of models.

However - as is tradition - I must now dither on colours. For reference I did a tester model some time ago:

gallery_30308_10604_29038.jpg

While I still like this scheme (though it could do with some refining) having painted up some more Knight units I've come to really like their colours. It might not be a good idea to replicate them for the AdMech too, though it couldn't be exactly the same anyway. I will need to ruminate. Thoughts?

Good job on the test model. Will you add lighting effects to his helmet and his gun? Or leave them dark and "tactical," so he can serve as a scout? (Can't scout an enemy position if you give away your own, alerting the enemy and allowing him to set up traps and ambushes for your army.)

I like the darkened appearance, partly as the theme has it (the armour is heavily washed Leadbelcher) but also because I like the more impersonal feel it has, fits AdMech in my mind :smile.: I do feel that the scheme needs something done/changed though as something feels missing but I can't see/decide what yet :confused: Perhaps it's something on the gun, I was thinking that maybe the new technical paints might help there?

• 1 month later...

After a delay, I've got my batrep sorted. This is a special event as it's technically my first Knight battle, as they're the Warlord faction with allied Marines :biggrin.: Naturally the Marines featured lots of Dreadnoughts to keep the theme :wink: It was another slapdash list I put together because I wanted to use my Knight forces with my Marines so I wasn't sure how well it'd do.

2k vs 'nids

That mission with TOs matching turns

House Brunen with allied Legio Venator

Hidden Content
++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [618pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Techmarine [90pts]: Boltgun, Power axe
Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter, 2x Servo-arm

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [167pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Multi-melta

Ironclad Dreadnought [179pts]: 2x Hunter-killer missile, Ironclad Assault Launchers, Meltagun, Seismic hammer
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

Venerable Dreadnought [182pts]: Twin lascannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [605pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Lieutenants [135pts]
Lieutenant: Master-crafted boltgun, Power sword
Lieutenant: Master-crafted boltgun, Power axe

+ Elites +

Dreadnought [134pts]: Assault cannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

Dreadnought [149pts]: Assault cannon
Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

Sternguard Veteran Squad [187pts]
Space Marine Veteran: Special issue boltgun
Space Marine Veteran: Combi-melta
Space Marine Veteran: Combi-melta
Space Marine Veteran: Combi-grav
Veteran Sergeant: Power fist, Special issue boltgun

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [777pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Household Choice: House Terryn, Questor Imperialis

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Warglaives [177pts]
Armiger Warglaive: Meltagun

Armiger Warglaives [177pts]
Armiger Warglaive: Meltagun

Knight Paladin [423pts]: Character (Knight Lance), Heavy stubber, Heirloom: Armour of the Sainted Ion, Reaper chainsword, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Landstrider
Rapid-fire battle cannon w/ heavy stubber: Heavy stubber, Rapid-fire battle cannon

Deployment goes well for me, as my opponent realises too late that I am loading the right flank having hedged his bets.

gallery_30308_10077_79163.jpg

A fair amount of the horde elements are off on my left flank, so they should be out of the game for a bit letting me focus my attentions on the larger prey!

gallery_30308_10077_2491.jpg

Turn 1

Unfortunately the first turn isn't mine, but with the distance between us I am safe from anything too serious. The exception is the Harpy (or whatever it's called) zooming along and throwing everything at an Armiger. Fortunately it's not damaged much and delivers a good return, so I'm set for a good start!

gallery_30308_10077_50043.jpg

Sadly my return fire isn't amazing, the Knight unit achieve the most success. The Hive Tyrant falls netting me some good VPs (thanks to the card requiring my Warlord to complete a second objective, which was kill a model with 10+ wounds) - even if this was by the skin of my teeth rolling two 6s for damage from the Edelweiss! The Harpy is killed by the combined might of the Armiger and Dreadnoughts and I consolidate ready for the next wave...

gallery_30308_10077_18227.jpg

Turn 2

My first turn wasn't spectacular due to some poor rolling, I had to devote a lot of resources to achieve not terribly much but thanks to some luck in TO cards I'm well ahead there so the game is advantage Imperium! My opponent knows this, so while his right flank is desperately rushing to assist he goes all in. The Trygon (I think) pops up and charges in to the Edelweiss, and the Dichawhatever leaps in against the Ironclad.

gallery_30308_10077_74651.jpg

The Edelweiss is resolute and all its attacks bounce off, but luckier still is the Ironclad who squeaks through with a single wound left! He makes it count with the seismic hammer and brutally finishes the Dichathing off. The Trygon fares much better, but takes some hits so I'm confident I can finish it off in my turn.

So it proves as the Edelweiss strides up, leaving the local forces to finish the job - the Sternguard deliver the final wounds though as the other forces bounce off... Fortunately the might of House Brunen is enough to put most of the other xenos to the sword. The 'stealers eat a ridiculous amount of dice before dying, and the Broodlord is cleaved in two by an Armiger. The other performs a 12" charge (thanks to the Warlord trait) and clobbers one of the 'fexes.

gallery_30308_10077_4111.jpg

With the Techmarine patching the Ironclad up and my walkers pressing the advantage, but worse still a huge difference in VPs my opponent concedes with little hope of victory. Glory to House Brunen!

It was a quick game, thanks to most of the action being taken with the big boys. I got lucky in that my opponent's list was also focusing on fewer units so the extra damage and such my forces could throw out had good targets. This was compounded by the deployment set up that means his gribble horde that I'd have most trouble with could only watch as their forces were blown to smithereens.

I still need to field a proper a Knight army, I'll need the Helverins at least for that but it's always good to get them on the table. Bonus points in that I remembered to turn the optics on... but forgot to attach the shield :laugh.:

Archived