WarriorFish's AdMech and Knight House Blog

WarriorFish

Meister Ritter,

I hope this find you and our Family well as always. Know that I miss you all dearly but that I serve a greater purpose than we ever thought possible. The Inquisitor Lord's plans are myriad and complex and more than we can know rests on them. What is the sector around Brunen compared to that? We keep it safe that I do not deny and its peoples can live in security and safety - but how much bigger the galaxy is; how much more we can do for Him on Terra.

The Inquisitor is returning to Brunen and I shall accompany him, along with a select entourage naturally. I humbly request that the Edelweiss be put in for repairs and upgrades with those who know her best. She has performed admirably and I know mother would be proud of us both. I also know the stories told on Brunen - they may say what they like of me but any insulting the Edelweiss will meet me on the duelling field to see if their actions can match their words - any weapons, suit or no. Please make sure this is widely known, the Ritter Kunst of my days on Brunen is child's play by comparison but I should like to show what I have learned in the field with my allies they so look down upon.

Forgive my impertinence but I have one more request of you Father. Please do not ask for me to stay. When the Inquisitor Lord leaves I will accompany him once more; furthermore I shall be forthcoming in recruitment to Ritter of all Families in invitation to Jaeger under him. We can do so much more for the Imperium and in doing so Brunen itself. The Imperium needs us like never before and we must answer that call or be forever shamed.

Your devoted daughter,
Calistiria

gallery_30308_9518_705.png

I return to the Edelweiss - not only do I have some batrep pictures to sort (I should write them up, assuming I've not completely forgotten how the games went) but most important of all is that I have finally secured the Warden upgrade sprue! Patience is a virtue after all :wink: I hope to get the ball rolling this year, with an aim to finishing within a few months - hey at least I'm realistic :laugh.:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Warden sprue will need to wait; Calistiria's handmaidens are joining her in battle!

gallery_30308_14554_24815.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_25139.jpg

They feature some minor magnetisation to let the torso turn and be removed for transport, thanks to the smaller scale this was much easier than on the Edelweiss. Stuck a magnet on top of the waist (1/8 x 1/16" but anything would work as long as it fits through the hole):

gallery_30308_14554_14927.jpg

Then it was just a matter of putting a magnet on top and aligning a bit of sprue to mate. A bit of super glue and setting time and done. Example below is before I put a couple more supporting sprue bits on to ensure a robust solution, and while the left side wasn't glued I did put it on while the superglue cured to make sure the weight was balanced so it didn't set squiffy.

gallery_30308_14554_9413.jpg

Here they are full broken down. The legs can easily slot in at the ankles and even the heads can be left free to rotate :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_14554_30924.jpg

They're very nice kits so I'll be interested to see what comes next. Hopefully I won't have the "fun" I had with getting the Knight earlier... I'll aim to get a bit of lore to go with them but plenty of time as I paint them up :)

They look great! How big are they roughly? I never actually found out when they were first unveiled. They look about Leviathan sized? Have you come up with names and fluff for them yet?

They're so fun to put together, right?

Quality idea on how to magnetite the body to the legs - think I'll do this when I get home later...!

They look great! How big are they roughly? I never actually found out when they were first unveiled. They look about Leviathan sized? Have you come up with names and fluff for them yet?

Yeah a Leviathan would be a fair comparison, they're quite large - on 100mm bases. Probably very similar to the Custodes Telemon Dread...

Yeah they're roughly Leviathan sized, a bit slimmer and taller I'd say. I'll likely get one of the full kits for some additional options when they arrive :smile.:

I've got a couple of names I'm thinking of, their basic fluff is that they're her handmaidens - the attendants and bodyguards of House Brunen's families. I accidentally predicted them with my previous lore piece (the Omnissiah works in mysterious ways?), I will likely expand the Valkyrie theme but need to see how best I can work it in :smile.:

I'm making progress on the Armigers, but just basic work so far. I'll pop into GW tomorrow to collect some loot as well as pick up a couple of paints I need - sadly expired after the Edelweiss :sad.: In the meantime I've done a bit more to flesh out the new additions:

As the relationships between the various families of Brunen are complex and strictly defined, so are they within the families themselves. The main family supports and is in turn supported by the branch families, a deep and ancient codependency that mirrors the wider Knight House. Of these branch families promising children are trained to serve their masters as bodyguards, some sent to the estate upon the birth of a new member as both a gift and a show of devotion. These warriors are known as Valkure, and their fierce devotion to their master and skill at arms are legendary - for where even the nobles must train and learn various forms of etiquette and more the Valkure train only to protect their charges. This is especially pronounced in those that are selected to command Warglaives, as only the very best will do.

As Calisitria bonded to her mother's suit so did family retainers seek to join her in battle but she refused, deciding that the Edelweiss alone must seek vengeance. This was lauded as an honourable act of filial devotion by Brunen's nobles, but to her Valkure it was a failure in their duty they would never forget. Ever since the taciturn Sigryn and impetuous Skuldi never leave her side from battlefield to palace no matter the situation. This attentiveness found them the nickname of her handmaidens, but they bear the name with pride for what is a Valkure but the hands of their master?

Together they make a fearsome combination; the older Sigryn is highly experienced and counsels wisely where the young Skuldi is eager to prove herself, with her valour matching her skill. Sigryn usually holds back to better protect the Edelweiss and its precious pilot applying force and clever ploys accordingly, this lets Skuldi use her talents and temperament well to drive into enemy lines and push them towards waiting guns and blades.

Thanks Bjorn, my Knight House has pretty strong themes which makes it easier to work things in with a few tweaks :smile.: I've got the paints I needed so I should be able to finish the basic coats this weekend with a little luck :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

At last progress worth sharing:

gallery_30308_14554_20774.jpg

Seems the handmaidens have impeccable timing with the incoming Knight codex, with the bulk of the metallic finished they're well on their way to completion. Once the bronze is done just the armour plating for the most part left :smile.:

I'm keen to see what treats we get, especially with the rumoured drop in points for Armigers - really hoping that pans out as otherwise I'd probably struggle to get the three on the table together. I've not really considered Brunen's way of war so I'll have to think hard on how to run them, but no rush yet :wink:

Thanks a lot Mist, they can be a bit of a pain to do especially when there's a lot of metal bits but it's the only way I know to make them look any good :tongue.: I'm getting some more work done on them today so I'm optimistic that I might get them finished Monday :thumbsup:

A busy day still sees enough time to finish the Armigers off:

gallery_30308_14554_21042.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_13277.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_32581.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_12684.jpg

gallery_30308_14554_9309.jpg

Bit of a close up, to see the shin (ankle?) transfers:

gallery_30308_14554_3930.jpg

Plus a family shot!

gallery_30308_14554_47810.jpg

Now I'm all ready for the codex ;) I'll try and resist getting more models, but we'll see how that pans out :lol: Theoretically this means the Warden sprue is next on my AdMech list after the ETL but the plans of mice and men and all that.

They really do fit together nicely, giving the impression of a fully-vetted Knight with a pair of squires :)  It's one of the issues I've had with going Freeblade; my Knight just won't match up with the Armigers no matter what I do :P

They really do fit together nicely, giving the impression of a fully-vetted Knight with a pair of squires :smile.:  It's one of the issues I've had with going Freeblade; my Knight just won't match up with the Armigers no matter what I do :tongue.:

Well, if you mean theme-wise, you could state that the Armigers are squires/remaining family of the Freeblade and chose to become Freeblades as well, to support the knight or avenge their house etc (based on your backstory).

They really do fit together nicely, giving the impression of a fully-vetted Knight with a pair of squires :smile.:  It's one of the issues I've had with going Freeblade; my Knight just won't match up with the Armigers no matter what I do :tongue.:

Well, if you mean theme-wise, you could state that the Armigers are squires/remaining family of the Freeblade and chose to become Freeblades as well, to support the knight or avenge their house etc (based on your backstory).

Good idea!  I'll have to figure out a scheme that compliments the big guy without overshadowing him . . .

Thanks everyone, good to see you too Meh :tu:

I'm sure my Knight house will end up growing eventually; in for a penny in for a pound right? ;) I think there's nothing stopping a Freeblade's retainers following him, in fact I'm pretty sure they're more likely to than not. Maybe they also take his colours, or create their own? There's lots you could do I reckon :)

I'm sure my Knight house will end up growing eventually; in for a penny in for a pound right? :wink: I think there's nothing stopping a Freeblade's retainers following him, in fact I'm pretty sure they're more likely to than not. Maybe they also take his colours, or create their own? There's lots you could do I reckon :smile.:

I haven't posted my Knight here because it's a bit of an odd case.  I suppose I should do that and start taking suggestions for how to match up his retainers.  I expect it'll be a bit of a controversial topic, though . . .

But I don't want to derail your thread, WF.  I bet you're super excited about the expansion to Knight Characters coming in the new codex, as that'll give you rules to back up the character you've created here!

Archived