1850 Iron Hands- TAC for 40K in 30K

Brofist

Wanted to share a 1850 list that I've had pretty good success with. I play mostly against 40k armies, but any feedback on ways to optimize would be great! 

Primary Detachment, Iron Hands Legion

HQ
Chaplain

- - - -

Power Axe
Lightning Claws
Melta Bombs
Artificer Armour
Refractor Field
Cyber familiar
- - - -

Expeditionary Navigator
- - - -
Cyber familiar
- - - -

Troops
Legionary Tactical Squad
- - - -
20 bodies
19 CCW
Legion Vexilla
Meltabombs
Artificer Armour
Power Axe
- - - -

Legionary Tactical Squad
- - - -
10 bodies
Rhino transport
- - - -

Elites
Apothacary Detachment
- - - -
Auguary Scanner
Artificer Armour
- - - -

Thudd Gun Battery
- - - -
2 Quad Mortars
- - - -

Thudd Gun Battery
- - - -
2 Quad Mortars
- - - -

Heavy Support

Sicaran tank

- - - -
Heavy bolter sponsons
- - - -

Sicaran tank

- - - -
Heavy bolter sponsons
- - - -

Allied Detachment, Legio Cybernetica

HQ
Archmagos Dominus

- - - -

Protectiva
Cyber familiar
Mechinator array
- - - -

Troops
Castellax Death Robots
- - - -
2 Death Robots
Enhanced targeting
Darkfire cannon
- - - -

Thallax Cohort
- - - -
Multimelta
- - - -

= 1848 total

Strategy:

The Navigator, Chaplain, and Apothacary join into the 20 man Legionary blob. T5, FNP, -1 to enemy BS, and some good melee options makes them a fire magnet that marches onto a central objective somewhere. Rhino hides until later into the game and then sallies forth to take an objective mid-late game. Thudd Guns glance heavy armor to death or blow the crap out of infantry. Sicarans deal with skimmers and big uglies. Magos walks around and repairs tanks or robots depending one where he's needed most. Castellax focus on enemy MCs or units with poor initiative and protect the flanks against melee units. Thallax deepstrike mid game to get linebreaker, hopefully pop a tank, and if they survive charge into some backfield units.

Considerations:
  • There's no anti air and few interdictors (interceptors). A mortis dread or predator executioner with command tank would help a lot against some lists. 
  • The Tactical Squad in the rhino are, mostly, dead weight. Using them to grab a late game objective is ok, but I do wish I could make them more useful... or cheaper. 
  • The Thallax give the list flexibility... but in the end, they are a nice-to-have. I could drop them and use the points to make my second tactical squad useful or buy myself an interdictor.
  • For friendly games I've taken x2 Vindicators instead of Sicarans. Love my big tanks. The Archmagos makes them live longer, but they aren't really a strong unit.
  • Should my Chaplain have lightning claws or swap the axe for a sword and power fist? The power weapon is 'free'.
  • If I drop some bodies and my melta bombs I can cram lascannon sponsons onto my sicarans. That makes them a bigger threat, but helps with killing big uglies and tanks.
  • If I drop the cyber familiars from the Navigator and Refractor Field from the Chaplain I can buy them some relics instead. The void shield thing would help my blob survive by giving it an AV12 bubble against pie plates that come its direction (so its a strong choice). I can also give one of them a 3++ as well, but it would only be against shooting attacks. I'm thinking the void shield might be a good option?
  • The magos can shoot a weapon AND repair something in the same turn AND is relentless. Are any of his ranged options worth it? Squeezing in another high strength shooting attack would be nice.

Thoughts?

• The magos can shoot a weapon AND repair something in the same turn AND is relentless. Are any of his ranged options worth it? Squeezing in another high strength shooting attack would be nice.

I've been running my Magos with a Conversion Beamer and at times a Techmarine with one as well.  For anti-vehicle, since you can place the marker anywhere over the hull you tend to get the S10 shot on turns 1 & 2 and sometimes later on if there's a stationary, backfield target like a Scorpius or other mobile artillery unit.

I have seen that weapon immobilize or even wreck an LR thus halting the "Land Raider Rush" and thereby blunting my opponent's offensive strategy.  Since I run my Castallax more defensively the Magos stays nearby to bolster them in the rare event that an enemy gets close enough.

Cheers, -OMG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I've since given my magos a photon thruster and dropped my Multi Melta thallax in favor of a paragon of metal castellax. As a deepstrike suicide unit I'm just not that convinced they are worth it. I also dropped one of the Sicirans, a few bodies, and the melta bombs in favor of 1 siciran with lascanons and a predator executioner with interceptor.

It's fun to play and really tough, but not very mobile. That's pretty common with a legion list though and it feels thematic :)

Command tank upgrade doesn't provide anti-air/interceptor any longer unfortunately.

It never gave anti-air, but it did confer interceptor. I'm still using the rules from the main book since FW hasn't responded to my emails about their missing squadron rules sad.png

The little red book has an editing error for the command tank entry, as it's just a copy paste from the super heavy command tank rules of the Stormblade. The FAQ took out the stormblade part, but it's still missed all the squadron command tank rules from the main book. Right now that's the only place with both the superheavy and squadron rules. Carl from the Independent Characters and I have both reached out to FW about it. Hopefully they'll fix it in the next FAQ!

Archived