II. Morinth - Rabenfeder's Imperial Guard

Rabenfeder

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, that was kind of a PITA to fix.

Expect smaller and slower updates from now on, lots of work to do.

Today's update: some special weapons. Sniper rifles fit the army's background quite well - I may just run them as regular laser rifles, though (they don't seem so great). Sooner or later, I'll get some Melta SWS.

As usual, photos are kinda potato quality. I'll try to get some better ones of all the models when there's basing (so in the distant, distant future ;) ).

YGwXejq.jpg

Edited by Rabenfeder

Progress is being made, but slowly. A lot to be done at work right now.

Mini update: painting the second Sentinel now. It's really hard to match the first one's colors and I'm not too sure why.

3BKNn4Z.jpg

a ) Wrong colors in general.

b ) Lighting more agressive.

c ) Lack of varnish (aka lighting is okay).

d ) Lack of weathering

e ) All of the above. ;D

I'll just progress and see how it turns out, hoping for the best. There's a lot of experimentation to be done with the weathering as well as I have no idea how I've done it. Kinda annoying.

Best regards

Rabenfeder

Edited by Rabenfeder

They look good, the difference can be fixed with a bit more weathering.

Did you use the same undercoat? I once painted 10 models, five at a time using same colours (had written them down after making the first five) and realised the first five had been sprayed black, the second five white, made a lot of difference!

I've never ever used a white primer. Black primer for life. :wink:

Sentinel number 2:

beoWUVo.jpg

tVsmBGs.jpg

With the upcoming coat of varnish, I think it'll look sufficiently close to the first model. The only thing totally off are the white stripes. It's more muted on the old models, not too sure on the color, though. Maybe something bone-like on a white coat?

Next thing on my list is rethinking what to do with the bases. The previous steps where tedious and looked mediocre, so I may just do glue + sand + x.

When every model so far (13 models and 2 sentinels...) are based, I'll try to get a decent picture.

After that it's some more infantry and either another chimera and a sentinel or more victoria miniatures.

Edited by Rabenfeder

• 2 weeks later...

Heya!

Just a small update on what I'm working on right now. Photo quality is bad because of camera and lighting, but you get an idea of what was done.

8scD9iK.jpg

First, some more guardsmen. Photo took out about all details, you may have to believe me both those and proper shading are actually there :wink: They look similar to my other guardsmen.

I'm out of bases now, but they will probably be one half of my second infantry squad.

WNGnlW9.jpg

A chimera's next so they don't have to walk around. The color of the guardsmen in the background is actually way more close to reality than the first picture.

And that's already it. Chimera will take a while, so don't expect anything anytime soon. When she's done, I may take another group picture with proper lighting.

Edited by Rabenfeder

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

as expected, things are going slow. Both because of workload (especially during COVID) and me not really enjoying painting tanks.

Not that great when I really like the idea of mechanized infantry. Oh well. May change things on that end or learn airbrushing...?

On the other hand, another shipment from Australia (Victoria Miniatures) arrived!

I wasn't that happy with my officer model, so that one got demoted to a sergeant.

I've removed the head, arms and pistol holster of an artillery officer, added new ones and some green stuff et voilà: my commanding officer, take two.

0h1pTrJ.png

I know they aren't too hot gameplay wise, but I liked the flavour of a command squad. Piper, medic, regimental standard, vox-caster.

D7ZxWvl.png

Slight addendum: cast quality of VM's miniatures vastly improved in the past years; way more fun to work with these models compared to the last shipment.

Before painting more infantry, I gave myself the goal to finish the chimera and refit my first sentinel with a magnetized hunter-seeker missile. We'll see if I'll manage to do that in time.

• 1 month later...

Heya heya,

I'm not dead yet, just really, really slow. No new finished models yet, but a bit of progress.

FevykaD.jpg

Older Sentinel got a hunter seeker missile as well. I also tried to get a closer match in armor colors between my Sentinels and Chimeras (and failed honorably).

gC4Cpfa.jpg

Everything but weathering powders are done for my second Chimera. Can't to that right now as it's really cold outside and I want to seal the model first (and after).

If it stays this cold, I will probably do some character models and infantry next.

Best regards!

Rabenfeder

Remember this post? It's time for officer, take two.

Officer, take two

xkHDzfW.png

My regiment's commanding officer, both in art and in art. :wink:

IxUX80D.jpeg

Camera ate all the highlights etc. etc. I change the base's border as well, so you'll get another picture at a later date.

I'm a bit unsure about the yellow part, I thought about having both white and yellow in the regiment's flag. It does clash a bit with all the gold, though...

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about my regiment's astropath. Any ideas for the colors? The usual dark green / purple wouldn't work that well with my regiment's color, so I'm kinda undecided...

Best regards

Rabenfeder

Edited by Rabenfeder

Hadn't had a striking idea for the psyker yet. Back to infantry!

Bad lighting (wet outside), bad camera...

jbd8H4s.jpg

Finished my second squad. To add a bit of flavour to both squads, they've got one soldier with a cool backpack that might act as a vox caster if they're a decent option someday. Both squads also got a mini medic (medical supplies hard to see because of photo quality and because they are really small ;) ).

Right now, these models are finished:

- Company Commander

- 2x 10 infantry squads

- 2x Chimeras

- 2x Sentinels

- 3/4 of a command squad with sniper rifles

I will probably glue a third infantry squad next.

Best regards

Rabenfeder