The way of the sororitas

Zeratul29

Hello all! I'm new to sisters but not 40k in general. I currently play GK, inquisition, the occasional space marines. I want to start a sisters army. I was hoping for all you vets to share your insights on what units to take and what kind of tactics to employ.

What are their strengths and weaknesses and how you should play a sisters army. Barely anyone in my area plays sisters so I want to see what they can do. I've heard they're an awesome army.

Give me your thoughts and thanks!

Hi Zeratul!

Sisters are equally blessed and cursed by a limited codex; whilst we have very few unit choices, this also means that it is really hard to go wrong when it comes to choosing the units for your army. Because you will only have one troops choice option that you will have to take, I would say it's best to become confident in a strong core of battle sisters before worrying about the other stuff. Whether that means you prefer multiple small units in Immolators, larger squads in Rhinos or big blobs on foot is up to you.

Units wise our best anti tank option is Dominions with Meltaguns, whilst anything elsecan basically be covered by troops; though there are many other, strong, viable units in the codex. I would recommend looking at priests and anything that gives you some speed.

Our biggest weaknesses are lack of range, lack of variety in units and lack of speed. Other weaknesses such as I3 can be offset pretty easily within the codex itself.

Our biggest strengths are our short range firepower, our close combat potential and the simple fact that as you said, no one plays Sisters of Battle, and so everyone thinks they're bad.

Hi Naminé!

Thanks so much for the information. I was definitely planning to use 3 squads of dominions in repressors and immolators. Probably 2 exorcists too. I'm still trying to decide what all to include. Maybe a knight ally. Im not sure. I just know I'd like to play them because they're awesome! It makes me sad they're still not plastic.

We're a very strong alpha-strike army, and our staying power is relatively good between Power Armour and the Shield of Faith. Our main nemises are high-volume S4/5 shooting, and our biggest weakness is that our best transport and our flier are Forge World... although easily converted from standard Immolator and Nephilim kits.

Welcome to the Sisterhood!

Hi Naminé!

Thanks so much for the information. I was definitely planning to use 3 squads of dominions in repressors and immolators. Probably 2 exorcists too. I'm still trying to decide what all to include. Maybe a knight ally. Im not sure. I just know I'd like to play them because they're awesome! It makes me sad they're still not plastic.

If Repressors are involved I recommend giving them to your battle sister units, meanwhile Immolators will serve the doms better because they have more firepower and are slihtly cheaper. A squad of melta doms in a Multi-melta Immolator will give you the option of taking out 2 tanks a turn instead of one, and so you could easily get by with just 2 squads for all of your melta needs!

My general rule of thumb is that 2 squads is more then enough all the way up to 2000 points, but your mileage may vary depending on your meta.

Remember though that doms tend to be a suicide unit that nuke something and then die. Having your Troops moving up in Repressors will leave you best suited to capatalise on this. Add in something scary and fun to really smack your opponent around when this happens :p

I forgot to mention previously that the sisters playstyle tends to favour aggressive, overwhelming firepower that you shove into peoples faces!

I like Dominions in Repressors myself. I tend to fill out the squad with bolter-Sisters for survivability and attach a Priest to each to a) tank and cool.png carry another special weapon. I see the loss of a multi-melta to be evened out by the survivability and the fact that I have a flamer up there now to whittle down the enemy infantry, especially since so many of my Dominions' high-value targets have transport capacity.

I've had a lot of success with a 5-girl seraphim squad with dual double hand flamers. They're cheap, fast, and with shred they really put the hurt on light infantry. My meta is pretty heavy on hordes though, and I would imagine they would do rather poorly in a meta full of centurion death stars and wave serpent spam.

Also somewhat meta-dependent: consider the Culexus assassin. If you regularly did yourself up against a lot of psykers then he's 130-odd points of magic :). The ability to make defensive buffs simply disappear within 12" makes eldar wet their pants. He's no slouch in CC and has a surprisingly good ranged attack as well.

To be honest with the way sisters work with weapons choices I like to run multiple small units all in transports only getting out when required.

Dominors in Repressors so they can fire on the move, Exorcists providing long range cover and Immolatiors transporting my cookie cutter troops, considering I run anywhere between 4 and 6 immolators they are goo anti air too with twin linked multi meltas.

Our 3 flyers are decent but 2 of them are super heavy and they are all cash costly so tank spam is the cheaper option, I personally never run less than 9 tanks at 1850.

Heretics can beforgiven and may know the emperors mercy, only traitors are beyond redemption. ;)

So what kind of force are you thinking Sith'ari?

Also what points level or is this just a support force?

Must admit you get the smug feeling of playing sisters as a hard core fan as your beautiful army sweeps theirs aside whilst they wear the same look of confusion the entire game as they have never seen any of your stuff before.

Ahaha! Guess I'll have to wear a disguise around this part of the forum then! :D

Force wise, a mate and I are starting up a campaign in the new year, so I'm starting up a crusading Sororitas force to purge the 'nid threat! We're starting at 1200pts and building up from there, but I haven't quite figured out a list yet. Though I foresee a lot of flamers in my future!

Sisters of Battle have 2 things going for them. Melta spam and flamer spam. You can almost include the Exorcist tank in with the meltas, being S8 AP1. We usually do well against nids since we will be facing MC and hordes. On the other hand, we have nothing in the base codex for anti-air. At 1200 points you are usually better off playing objectives and avoiding zooming/swooping units anyway, but you may want to consider picking up some air support eventually.

Which brings up the first big question: Forge World? If you can, you really want a Repressor or two. They are deliciously efficient and sexy to boot.

Well as it stands the Forge World Repressor is out of stock as it stands but considering its a nid campaign I would look at the following:

Got a bit melta in there, some good combat eliment and a holy mother tonne of flamers.

If you want to run a bit more support, switch the Repressors and Dominors out for Exorcists for more range and you will save 50 points whilst your at it for other stuff on each of them. (always take Storm Bolters on Repressors)

Sisters of Battle Nid Force:

5 Sisters of Battle
Heavy Flamer
Melta Gun

Immolator
Heavy Flamer

5 Sisters of Battle
Heavy Flamer
Melta Gun

Immolator
Heavy Flamer

5 Sisters Dominor
4 Heavy Flamers

Repressor

Heavy Flamer
Storm Bolter

5 Sisters Dominor
4 Heavy Flamers

Repressor

Heavy Flamer
Storm Bolter

3 Penitent Engines
6 Twin Linked Heavy Flamers

5 Seraphim
2 Twin Hand Flamers

5 Seraphim
2 Twin Hand Flamers

Canoness
Eviserator
Rosarius

Total: 1180

Why take the storm bolter? Is the extra weapon really worth it when it already comes with a storm bolter and a heavy flamer. Besides, since it'll be almost constantly moving, you'll always be snap firing the storm bolters since the Heavy Flamer can't. Is it really worth 5 points to have a 2/3 shot of getting a single S4 hit every turn?

Edit/Update: The Repressor can't take a pintle mounted storm bolter anyway so the 5 points to have a second is moot. Sure you don't mean the Exorcist?

Why take the storm bolter? Is the extra weapon really worth it when it already comes with a storm bolter and a heavy flamer. Besides, since it'll be almost constantly moving, you'll always be snap firing the storm bolters since the Heavy Flamer can't. Is it really worth 5 points to have a 2/3 shot of getting a single S4 hit every turn?

Edit/Update: The Repressor can't take a pintle mounted storm bolter anyway so the 5 points to have a second is moot. Sure you don't mean the Exorcist?

I assume that you have never taken this tank before.

It comes with Heavy Flamer and Storm Bolter as Standard.

Also the Wording is Cupola Mounted Storm Bolter.

Go have a quick look at it mate, I have 3 of them.

I own one mostly assembled (not going to glue on dozer blade until I decide on scheme) and a second that still needs to be assembled. I'm also staring at Imperial Armor Vol 2 right now. There is no option to purchase a storm bolter - the vehicle comes with one stock.

You said "always take storm bolters on Repressors". Not hard to do since there's no choice in the matter, but your comment could be interpreted as spending 5 points to buy an additional one... and you can't because the only options you have are:

Searchlight

Hunter-killer Missile

Extra Armor

I'm trying to make sure you don't mean "always take storm bolters on Exorcists."

Ah, Dominions can't have Heavy Flamers - they only get regular Flamers. It's the Retributors (heavy support) who can take Heavy Flamers.

Ahhh, would of been thinking Retributors, was in work. :P

Still I see melt as the better choice myself. 

I own one mostly assembled (not going to glue on dozer blade until I decide on scheme) and a second that still needs to be assembled. I'm also staring at Imperial Armor Vol 2 right now. There is no option to purchase a storm bolter - the vehicle comes with one stock.

You said "always take storm bolters on Repressors". Not hard to do since there's no choice in the matter, but your comment could be interpreted as spending 5 points to buy an additional one... and you can't because the only options you have are:

Searchlight

Hunter-killer Missile

Extra Armor

I'm trying to make sure you don't mean "always take storm bolters on Exorcists."

That is a typo, I of course meant on Exorcists as the options.

However when you say that you can't take them on Repressors and they come as standard it does getting a little confusing.

Either way I only say on exorcists as they essentially get a 50/50 save on their main weapon.

Writing at work whilst trying to work means I typo the odd thing, I'm terrible at multi tasking so I am trying to remember all this off the top of my head. 

Well I'm definitely going to use 2-3 exorcists every game sometimes throwing in the avenger and repressors when allowed, otherwise I'll be using immolators with multi meltas or heavy flamers.

Archived