Bit of fluff for my Guard

CommissarZac

The Legend of the Haunted Leman Russ

The Joutinheim 798th Armored Regiment had always had close ties with The Order of the Blushing Maiden since it's order's founder rescued one of the regiment's Commissars leading to the order's founding. But commanding the regiment in it's “haunted” Leman Russ Punisher is an honor that is given to only the most compitent and qualified. So guarded is the position, that it's recipient and crew is chosen by a board made up of the Commissariat and the Cannoness of the Order. The following is the tale of how the Haunted Leman Russ came to be.

Long ago on planet Joutinheim, the demons of chaos sought to claim the planet for their perverse dark gods. The brave men and women of the Joutinheim 798th Armored Regiment and the Order of the Blushing Maiden were fighting valiantly, Sister Isabel's squad had managed to locate and engage the enemy demon prince. With a mighty backhand from the demon her squad was decimated, and Sister Isabel was mortally wounded. Before the demon prince could land the killing blow a hail of shells landed square in his back. The armored regiment's remaining Leman Russ punisher had broken through the lines and lent its aid to Sister Isabel. The demon buckled under the flurry of rounds that pelted it to near submission. In an incredible act of strength the demon smashed into the tank and stunned the heroic crew inside, effectively silencing the Punisher cannon that had left him clinging to his own life. The demon then extracted his revenge by pulling out the crew only to rip them apart like dolls. The Scions using the tank as cover flanked the demon and opened fire with their Hot shot lasguns. Annoyed at the pesky soldiers he turned and gave chase. Isabel took the opportunity while the demon was distracted to climb in to the tank and reawaken the Punisher cannon. Gears and servos whined in protest as she brought the turret to bear on the demon's head. “AVE IMPERATOR FOUL DEMON!!!!!!!” she cried as the cannon perforated the demon with countless rounds. The demon was reduced to a pile of offal and pink mist as the main gun expended the last of it's ammo. As Isabel lay dying in the turret, she spoke a final prayer. “Holy Emperor....if it is your will to call me to the Golden Throne....then I eagerly await....your beckon...but my work is not yet done...if you can see fit to grant my one selfish wish to....see all your enemies destroyed before I report to your side, You would have my eternal gratitude.”

After the battle, and once the Punisher was repaired, the new crew reported hearing war hymns when the engine was idling, and the commander reported hearing the cry “AVE IMPERATOR!!!” as the Punisher Cannon unleashed it's payload. The Adpetus Mechanicus investigated and found the Tank functioning as normal. The Cannoness of the order, along with the regiment's Commissar agreed, that due to Valiant effort of Sister Isabel she would be canonized and made a Saint of the Order. And the Leman Russ that slayed the demon prince would be the Unit's standard bearer, and the Crew chosen based on merits both the Order and the Unit held in high regard.

Current Crew of the Leman Russ Punisher “Isabel's Vengence”

Commander: Colonel Ulfric Harman

Driver: Sgt Flykr Ranagan

Main Gunner: Sister Mary Pendragon

Left Sponson Gunner: Cpl Reggie Marbot

Right Sponson Gunner: Sister Geniveve Perna

Hull Gunner: Sister Fraiya Gunier

In the cargo hold of the imperial Freighter

“Emperor's Benevolence” en-rout to Oricrom VI

Sister Mary stood against the observation window looking down at the rows of Militarum and Sororitas vehicles being serviced by the Enginseers in the cargo bay. Her gaze came to a Leman Russ regaled with gold accents and trim. It made her grin knowing she was chosen as the main gunner of such an important piece of her order's history. She had marveled at the stories and legends when she was just a novicia. To be chosen for this position assured her the nights and days spent training and studying were not in vain. Even now they were on their way to some distant planet that needed the Divine Emperor's wrath brought on it. And she would be the instrument of that wrath.

She returned to a small group made up of the rest of the tank's crew. Sister Geniveve and Sister Fraiya she new from the Shrine on Joutinhiem. The two other members were from Joutinhiem's Imperial Guard unit. While not as pious as she would have preferred she new the men and women of Joutinhiem's Guard were as brave and ferocious as any Sororitas she knew. Obviously they had exceptional skills to be chosen for their positions. She decided to make some small talk till their commander showed up. “Excuse me sergeant, but when do you suppose the Commander will show?” she asked. “Afraid I dunno Sister. Last I heard he was in a briefing with all the brass finally getting more info on why we were scrambled aboard this frieghter.” Sgt Flykr informed.

Just then the doors opened and in walked Colonel Ulfric. The guardsmen immediately stood at attention. The Sisters falling in line with them. “Carry on.” He ordered. Everyone stood a bit more relaxed as the Colonel inspected his crew. After he was satisfied he ordered his crew to the ships officer lounge. They were sat at a rather large table where their supper was served. Before anyone dug in the Colonel broke the ice as he raised his glass. “Gentlemen, and Ladies,” he said nodding to the Sisters. “You were chosen to man this tank because you proved yourselves to be a cut above the rest. I look forward to unleashing the Emperor's fury with all of you. From now on we are more than just crew mates, we are a family. That tank will be our home. Honored Sisters, I hope adjusting to a guardsman's lifestyle will not be to hard an inconvenience, alternatively I hope you will be our conscience and keep us all on the glorious path that leads us to our beloved Emperor. TO ISABEL'S VENGENCE!!!” he toasted. “TO ISABEL'S VENGENCE!!!” came the reply as they all quaffed their beverages. The rest of the night was spent getting to know one another, before hitting the bunks for lights out. Sister Mary was as exited as a Novicea and could hardly fall asleep. But exhaustion weighed in (along with some of the Amasec they had consumed) and soon she was out.

please be gentle, I'm not really good at fanfiction

"Blushing," as in shyness or shame, is NOT a trait associated with the Adepta Sororitas. Best use another term; I thought of "Order of the Pious Maiden," "of the Chaste Maiden," "of the Pure-hearted Maiden," "of the Red Maiden," "of the Scarlet Maiden," and "of the Crimson Maiden."

The haunted Leman Russ Punisher is interesting, but best limit the details describing how a link formed between it and Sister Isabel, forcing the reader to rely more on his/her imagination. The idea a machine spirit's "wavelength" will match that of a human, will strain their ability to suspend disbelief. Giving the crewmembers dreams in which Sister Isabel appeared- including prophetic dreams- will probably suffice. Alternately, have enemy units see a Sister of Battle walking towards them, and to attack her, thinking she is "easy prey"- only to find a battle tank in the "weak woman's" place (her spirit deceived the enemy's eyes)- should arouse laughter.

I would agree "Blushing," as in shyness or shame, is NOT a trait associated with the Adepta Sororitas's orders militant, but since My Order was founded by a Hospitaler who had to disrobe to keep a dying Commissar alive through the night I thought it fit.  I like your idea of prophetic dreams.  How would you suggest I incorperate the tech adepts into the crew?

I doubt the Adepta Sororitas are happy to have Tech Adepts serve as crewmembers in their tanks, though they grudgingly recognize the fact a Tech Adept's service is necessary. The Ministorum (which the Adepta Sororitas fall under) has theological disputes with the Adeptus Mechanicus, as detailed in the Ciaphas Cain novel 'Duty Calls', and in 'Hammer and Anvil'; the two groups' members do NOT get along.

Spoilers for 'Duty Calls':

An order of the Adepta Sororitas are sheltering a Inquisitor, but the sisters are unaware the Inquisitor is a rogue one. A Heretek in the Inquisitor's service, is hidden in the convent's basement, where he set up a shrine to the Omnissiah; the narrator specifically states if the sisters were aware of the shrine's presence, they would NOT be happy.

A Tech-Adept is likely to be seen as the "red-haired stepchild"- a family member, but a barely tolerated one, as he is different, and his presence is an reminder of [insert scandal of your choice, here].

A more serious conflict between the Tech-Adept and the tank's other crewmembers, is their differing POVs. For example:

Adepta Sororitas main gunner: "Sister Isabel's spirit has imbued this tank with her righteous fury, so she [the Leman Russ Punisher] may better serve as a weapon in His Divine Majesty's hand, and smite His enemies!"

Astra Militarum sponson gunner: "Really?"

Tech-Adept driver: "What you say is nonsense. There is no logical means through which a mortal human's spirit can influence a holy machine's noble spirit, without undergoing the Mechanicus' rituals and communing with the Omnissiah. As Sister Isabel is a base human- not ordained by the Mechanicus- she has no power to bless this tank, and no right to do so."

[Cue heated argument between the Tech-Adept and the Adepta Sororitas, one which may end with the Adepta Sororitas using violence against the Tech-Adept, for insulting one of their Order's greatest heroines.]

And if Sister Isabel appears in all their dreams? The Tech-Adept will assume one of his implants malfunctioned, and seek repair, instead of seeing this as a miracle or a message- the other crewmembers' claims will be dismissed as a "mass delusion."

Overall, best leave the Tech-Adepts at the motor pool, and minimize interactions between them and the tank's religiously devout crewmembers, to that necessary to perform maintenance and ensure the tank's optimum performance on the battlefield.

The edited story is good, overall. But I believe you meant "canonization" or "glorification"- according to Wikipedia, "the act by which a church declares a deceased person to be a saint, upon which declaration the person is included in the canon, or list, of recognized saints,"- when you said the Canoness and the Commissar agreed Sister Isabel would be "martyred and made a Saint of the Order."

The "haunted" Leman Russ also needs a name. As the word "haunted" has negative connotations, it's better to use the descriptor "blessed." Maybe "Saint Isabel's Vengeance, the Blessed Leman Russ Punisher of the Holy Blood"? (Yes, the name is overly long, and consequently, ridiculous. But such overly long names and titles are common in a church- see the Pope's "Official list of titles.")

Another suggested change: Daemons do not "lick their wounds," as they fear not pain or death. A better explanation for why the Daemon allowed Isabel to board the Leman Russ and use its Punisher cannon against it, is that it was lured away from the tank. Maybe the Daemon's blow didn't wipe out the tank's entire crew, which allowed the driver and sponson gunners to disembark the wrecked tank and flee? (Feel free to guess if this was because Isabel wounded the Daemon, weakening it; or because the Daemon specifically spared the driver and sponson gunners, so it may have the sadistic pleasure of hunting down the frightened and fleeing crewmembers.) Maybe the tank had accompanying infantry to cover its flanks- infantrymen who fled when the Daemon wrecked the tank, becoming a distraction that allowed Isabel to board the tank?

The additional scene in which the tank crewmembers are introduced to each other, is good, and will help setup the next chapter.

Regarding the rewritten prologue, the Daemon should be lured away from the tank. It would've been hard for Sister Isabel to board the tank and use the Punisher cannon against the Daemon, if the Daemon was still standing in front of it.

I apologize for the inconvenience the repeated rewrites have caused, but they're an unavoidable part of being a writer. Take heart that even the best of us must suffer through it- see this commentary on a critically acclaimed movie's first draft.

Chapter 2

The weeks went by and the crew continued their training. After what seemed like an eternity, the whole regiment was called into one of the ship's auditoriums. Cannoness Eglentine and Colonel Ulfric were at the stage. The cannoness took the podium. “Sisters and soldiers of the imperium of his holiness, you have been assembled here today to finally learn the nature of our deployment. As beacons of His holy flame we must bring his light to all the dark corners of the galaxy. The planet we will be landing on will be freed from the Xenos taint and reconsecrated in his glory.” she proclaimed to the gathered forces who were cheering at her rousing speech. Colonel Ulfric then took the podium. “Men,Honored Sisters, the enemy we face on Oricron VI are orks. Big ugly and stupid. But be wary of underestimating them. What they lack in brains they more than make up for in brawn. These brutes are wiping out our colonists on Oricron VI, so it is up to us to drive the xenos beasts back into the abyss. We are expected to make planetfall in 2 days, so enjoy the comforts of this freighter, cause once we hit land, comfort will be a rare commodity. AVE IMPERATOR!!!” he shouted making the sign of the Aquila to the roaring crowd.

Sister Mary could hardly wait. As she went to sleep that night she wondered what would await them when they finally made land. She awoke in a jungle. A small path lead to a clearing. She had read of sisters of her order sometimes receiving dreams before a major battle. She took in all she could, knowing the littlest detail may be this dream's message. She began her prayer of serenity. Halfway through her recital she heard the sound of swords clanging and bolters roaring. She headed down the path without hesitation. She traveled further down a path and came upon a sister clad in the same colors as her order. She was fighting an ork twice her size. She was swatted away into a pit of mud. She arose covered in dark brown mud she fired a few shots at the ork and made her way into the jungle. The infuriated ork followed suit and gave chase. Sister Mary watched as the battle sister, twisted and turned through the jungle, and finally hid in a nook in a tree. The foolish ork sped right past her as she re-emerged and landed a killing blow with her bolter to his head. The battle sister turned to Sister Mary and uttered the words “Have faith.” Sister Mary awoke with a start. She tried to make sense of her dream. She would make sure to seek advice from the Cannoness the next morning, as she had a busy day ahead and she had to be ready to roll out.

The next morning after her morning prayers, she made her way to her Cannoness' office. “My lady, if you could spare the time, I would seek your council.” she said at the entrance of the elder Sister's office. Cannoness Eglentine gestured her inside. Sister Mary divulged all the details of her dream, the cannoness listening intently. “My dear,” she began. “You are hardly the first young sister who has had these dreams before a major operation. The message of your dream is clear, have faith. Have faith in your Emperor, have faith in your commander, he will need your light as well as your steel, and also have faith in yourself and your team. Be wary though should these dreams turn to heresy, as the arch-enemy will use these powerful messages to blind you to His holy light.” Sister Mary was visibly more relaxed and thanked the Cannoness before leaving. “Go now and bring His holy flame to the dark.” the cannoness commanded. Sister Mary saluted with the sign of the Aquila and departed.

The day finally came. Sister Mary was excited as her crew loaded Isabel's Vengance into the shuttle along with the sister tanks of her squadron, Righteous Anger, and Tyranid's Terror. Planetfall was minutes away, as everyone got as comfortable as they could in the cramped quarters of the Leman russ. Colonel Ulfric had just finished giving his orders to the rest of the Regiment, as he turned to his crew. “Systems check men.” he ordered as they all felt the inertia of the shuttle finally hitting the atmosphere. “Main gun online systems normal Sir.” Sister Mary reported. “Left Sponson locked and loaded.” Cpl Reggie chimed in. “Right Sponson ready.” Sister Geniveve answered. “Hull Heavy bolter ready.” Sister Fraiya said. “The R on the gear box here stands for 'really fast' correct sir?” Sgt Flykr responded giving everyone a good chuckle before he reported in properly. “Very good gentlemen. Lets show the greenskins what happens when you mess with the Imperium of Man.” he said as they descended through the clouds.

Re-re-edited first post and chapter 2 is up

How would Sister Mary know she was dreaming? And once she realized she was dreaming, why didn't she attempt to wake up? Consider this a challenge and an opportunity to build on the setting.

Is the Sister's will- her mental discipline- especially strong, allowing her to notice things most mortals do not? How did she gain such a strong will? Does she spend many waking hours practicing a form of meditation (including prayer, which medieval Europeans recognized as a form of meditation) specifically to strengthen her mind against psychic attack?

Does the Order of the Blushing Maiden have a history- recorded documents- in which Sisters have prophetic dreams that give them victory in the battles they must fight upon awakening? This may be one reason why Sister Mary didn't attempt to wake up, when she realized she was dreaming. Bear in mind that DAEMONS also use dreams to influence mortals- see Magnus the Red luring Harek Ironhelm away from Fenris, before the Thousand Sons attacked the Space Wolves' Chapter planet- so the Sister must be wary of what messages she gains from the dream.

The edited Chapter Two looks good. I eagerly await the battle scenes. By the way, what weapons are mounted in the Punisher's sponsons? (Personally, I'd use multi-meltas to compensate for the Punisher cannon's inability to penetrate armor, granting Isabel's Vengeance the versatility necessary when things go not as planned, and the tank must face enemies it wasn't designed to fight.)

I usually run punishers as all heavy bolters.  I know the cannon can't penetrate most front armor but I thought that would give them an underdog type feel to them where they can't face most armor head on they have to outsmart and maneuver around to the weak rear armor.  kinda like the sister in the dream.  I may upgrade them in the future.  it is a smart idea, however I run punishers in packs of 3 with H.Bolters to get much dakka (96 dice!!!!)  I am open to suggestions though

Chapter 3

As the shuttle came closer to the planet, the crew could hear the echos of small arms fire ricocheting off the hull of the shuttle. They knew glory was mere moments away. After a few more moments the shuttle came to a halt a bit too abruptly for comfort, and the red ramp light had turned to green. Light invaded every corner of the cargo bay of the shuttle as the ramp was lowered. Just before it had touched down. Sgt Flykr had floored the accelerator as Isabel's Vengeance charged out of the cargo bay, her sister tanks following suit. Upon exiting Colonel Ulfric spotted a large squad of greenskins to his 11 o'clock about 500 meters. After relaying the info to Sister Mary, she was more than happy to unleash hell. The punisher cannon spun to life and more than lived up to its name as it punished the greenskins for their heresy of existance. After covering the shuttle's departure the squadron traveled east towards the edge of an oasis. The goal was to secure a 10 klom square to set up a command center till the whole of the main force was planetside. The squadron took up position around the clear pool of the oasis pointing outward. A few ork coptas attempted to intercept the shuttles that began bringing in reinforcements, but the combined fire of all three Punishers made short work of them.

By the end of the day the bulk of the main force had landed. Chimera's with loaded infantry made their patrols and a small tent city had been erected. A few ork trucks had attempted to disrupt Ulfric's force but were met every time by a growing roster of leman russes, chimeras, and sentinels. By nightfall they would have Valkyrie air support and then Ulfric would reward his crew with some needed downtime. Soon enough the first squadron of Valkyries flew overhead and began their sortie. “Ok gents,” Ulfric began. “Lets hit the showers.” he ordered as the crew began congratulating each other. “Great driving Sgt,” Sister Geniveve complimented. “Thank you sister, and that's some top marksmanship of yours as well.” he returned. Sister Geniveve blushed as the two walked to the makeshift showers with their hygiene kits. Colonel Ulfric was glad his crew were getting along great, though he made a mental note to brief Sgt Flykr on professional relationships and the like in the future. “Excellent shooting sister Mary.” Ulfric complimented. “I would expect nothing less from a top of her class Sororitas.” he finished. “Thank you sir. A commander's approval is always welcome.” she responded.

Once everyone was cleaned and regrouped in the crew's tent, Sgt Flykr and Sister Geniveve coincidentally returning last even though they were first to leave for the showers. The sisters led the crew in nightly prayers, and prepared for lights out. They had a long day ahead of them, as they were going to support a scout force of chimeras to locate the main body of orks, and they needed the rest. Sister Mary contemplated on her dream the night prior. If the message was to have faith, then having faith in her team was practically given. With that she shut off her small torch, and drifted off to sleep.

I recommend breaking the chapter into paragraphs, so it is easy to read. Not sure it's appropriate for Sgt Flykr and Sister Geniveve to fraternize- certainly not in the showers, as it is a facility that will see heavy use, and others who wish to use it, will be banging on the lovebirds' stall, shouting, "Get a room!"- but as the Ciaphas Cain novel 'Cain's Last Stand' stated, celibacy is not required of the Adepta Sororitas.

Chapter 4

The next morning came too fast, but everyone awoke and made ready for their scouting escort mission. As the crew settled back into their cramped positions, Sister Mary and her fellow battle sisters recited their morning prayers, the guardsmen bowing their heads in respect. Upon completion all responded “Amen”. Isabel's Vengeance roared to life and made it's way to the staging point next to the lead Chimera. The scout party consisted of Isabel's Vengeance and her squadron, 1 Chimera, 1 immolator and 2 Scout Sentinels armed with multi lasers.

After getting an all ready check over the vox Colonel Ulfric gave the order to move out. They began their search to the south towards a small settlement on the map. They could see the smoke still rising from the ruins on the horizon. As they approached the infantry squads unloaded from the Chimera as the Battle sisters dismounted from their immolator, to continue the search of the ruins on foot. The column of vehicles slowly made their way through the streets. Wary of any ambushes, everyone was on high alert. Ulfric's auspex was picking up lifeforms in an abandoned building's cellar. The squads of infantry held their weapons at the ready. Bravo squad's Sgt kicked open the door and the squads stormed in. Only to find a small group of children, huddling around a small can of food that they obviously had scrounged from the ruins. The sister's immediately comforted the children as per their order's practice of Heal with one hand and smite with the other, they were led back to their immolator. Ulfric decided to escort the Immolator back to base while the rest of the force continued the mission.

About halfway back to base a gang of Ork warbikes attempted to ambush the 2 vehicles. Sister Mary was more than happy to show them the folly of their choice. But the warbikes were just the scout party for an Ork Battle wagon that rumbled into view. Before the Immolator could unleash the sun hot stream of death upon it, the Battlewagon's cannon landed a blow to the Meltas that adorn the top of the transport. After receiving word that the only casualty was their gunner, Colonel Ulfric requested the Sisters return to base and leave the battle wagon to his crew. Their protest was silenced once they were reminded of their precious cargo and they begrudgingly obliged. “Sgt I want you to zig-zag and keep them from getting a clear bead on us , while we flank them. Sponson gunners as soon as we cross paths open fire on their weaker side armor. Sister Mary, the game is chicken, send them an invitation. Mary grinned as she caught on to his plan. She took aim at the vision slits on the front of the wagon.

Sparks flew as the rounds ricoched around the front of the wagon, infuriating the orks as they charged the tank. Isabel's Vengeance followed suit as Sgt Flykr gunned the engine and charged headlong towards the wagon, making sure to shift back and forth. Shells impacted around them as the distance grew closer. “On my mark Sgt pull right.” Ulfric commanded as the distance was getting even closer. “Steady.” Ulfric reminded as Sgt Flykr now became uncomfortable with how close they were getting. Then at the last second the command came and Sgt Flykr pulled hard on the right stick. The tank lurched right narrowly missing the front of the battle wagon. Cpl Reggie unloaded the heavy bolter along the side tearing apart chunk after chunk of poorly welded metal and gouging the tires of the shoddy wagon. Finally Mary quickly rotated the turret to bring the full brunt of Isabel's Vengeance's main weapon on the orks now exposed rear. The punisher cannon roared it's displeasure of the orks and reduced the wagon to scrap and its operators to mush.

When the crew finally made it back to camp they were in high spirits after having their first some what challenging encounter. “Mighty spiffy that battle cry you gave Sister Mary.” Cpl reggie complimented. Sister Mary looked confused. “I don't believe I gave a battle cry Cpl.” She replied. “I heard it too, AVE IMPERATOR!!!!!” Sgt Flyker confirmed as he helped Sister Geniveve down from the tank. “As did I.” Sister Fraiya said. “I could have sworn you gave one too.” Ulfric said. “But it was a tense moment and I'm sure we were all caught up in the moment. Now come on you apes I'll buy you all a cup of recaf at the chow hall.” he said as the crew ventured toward the eating hall. Sister Mary made a mental note to be more concious of what she said, lest she let slip a blaspheme.

Chapter 5

Days turned into weeks as the crew completed mission after mission. Isabel's Vengeance was racking up quite the kill count for this campaign, and her crew were becoming even more tight knit. Todays mission was a simple recovery mission. Able company's second squad chimera had drove out of vox range and never returned, with ork encounters getting fewer everyday, the likely reason was the chimera had run out of promethium and was stranded. Colonel Ulfric's squadron would escort one of the mechanicum's Atlas recovery vehicles to retrieve the chimera.

Once the Chimera was in sight Ulfric voxed the crew. “Big Papa to Able body respond over.” he voxed. But no answer was given. “Damn minerals in the ground are interfering with the auspex. You reckon they're all sleeping the heat away inside?” Sgt Flykr suggested. “If they are, they'll be lucky to survive this without the firing squad.” Ulfric answered clearly preturbed as he climbed out of the hatch and made his way over to the chimera. When he opened the hatch he was astonished. Not a soul was aboard, and the fuel gauge read half full of promethium. He made his way back to Isabel's Vengeance.

Half way into the commander's hatch a large lighting bolt struck Tyranid's Terror's ammo rack and blew her turret clear off. Before anyone could react Righteous Anger's rear was melted through and a hoard of gretchen started pillaging the engine bay. “FULL REVERSE, RIGHT STICK, TURN US AROUND!!!!” Ulfric ordered as Sgt Flykr hastliy obeyed while everyone else scanned for targets. But as the tank spun around suddenly her nose pointed upward. Ulfric's crew had fallen into a large sand trap with the Mechanicum's atlas already sinking into the pit. Sgt Flykr quickly changed gears and slammed the throttle down. The poor tank roared as she tried to make her way out of the whirlpool of sand. Ulfric, his torso still outside the cuppola, could see the mastermind of the trap, as much as orks could be considered masterminds, a rather gruesome Wierdboy who was charging up another attack. Ulfric knew that none of his guns could depress that far, and after seeing what one bolt of lightning did to his squad mate's tank he wan not going to let the same fate befall his crew. The auspex, though not entirely clear, showed a large cavern underneath them. “Sgt full reverse, take us down.” he ordered. “Sir?” Sgt Flykr looked at him as if he had suddenly turned into a grox. “DO IT NOW OR WE'RE TOAST!!!” he ordered as he sealed his hatch shut. Sgt Flykr hesitantly switched back to reverse and floored the accelerator as the tank sunk further into the sand.

Darkness overcame them as they descended into the pit, sand leaking in from vents. Then came the drop. The crew experienced a couple seconds of weightlessness as the tank dropped into the dark underground cavern. The sudden stop punished those who did not brace themselves with a loud and thunderous THUD. After what seemed like hours Colonel Ulfric ordered a status report. “Power plant still online, system reads normal sir.” Reproted Sgt Flykr. “Punisher cannon damage minimal.” Sister Mary reported. “Both sponson heavy bolters bent and the hull heavy bolter is jammed.” Sister Geniveve concluded. Ulfric ordered the searchlight on as the crew dismounted and found the atlas recovery vehicle with two of the tech adepts still functioning. As they looked around the cavern what they found was a vehicle graveyard. Aparantly the Orks had been using the sand trap as a convenient bog. Chimera's and other leman russes from the planet's PDF could be seen all around. Ufric ordered the tech adepts to scrounge what they could from the vehicles so as to replace his tank's broken weapons. The adepts recovered a Las cannon, and two multi melta sponson guns. After a few hours work the weapons were successfully installed and the crew were ready to make their escape. Ulfric observed the auspex, which thanks to the adepts was cleared up a great bit. There was no sign of the orks above and the smoking hulls of his squad mate's tanks stood half buried by the wind blown sand. Good he thought that will anchor it even more. He explained his plan. Sister Fraiya would use a krak missle with the warhead removed and the Atlas's front winch attached to it to shoot and anchor it to the leman russ still topside. The atlas would attach her rear winch to Isabel's Vengeance and once it was topside would pull her up.

Using the portable Auspex Ulfric guided Fraiya's aim. With a loud BANG SHOOOOOOM, the missile took off punching through the cavern ceiling and finally hitting home. The adepts slowly wound in the winch cable. The cable making all sorts of noises of protest. But thank the Emperor it held as the atlas slowly climbed out. After a short while. Ulfric's crew could feel the tank being pulled to salvation. Once topside. Ulfric took in the carnage.

His squad mate's tanks were looted down to the frame. He ordered the adetps to pull the tanks back to base where they may be properly restored one day, and he can plan his revenge on the ork wierdboy that caught him by surprise. The drive back to base was long and silent as the crew tried to console themselves. Ulfric broke the silence as he began to sing an ancient war hymn, The emperor's gonna cut you down.
“You can run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Sooner or later Emperor's gonna cut you down

Sooner or later Emperor's gonna cut you down

• Go tell that long tongue liar

Go and tell that midnight rider

Tell the rambler,

The gambler,

The back biter

Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down

Tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down

• Well my goodness gracious let me tell you the news

My head's been wet with the midnight dew

I've been down on bended knee talkin' to the Emperor as you can see

He spoke to me in the voice so sweet

I thought I heard the shuffle of the angel's feet

He called my name and my heart stood still

When he said, "John go do My will!"

Tell the rambler,

The gambler,

The back biter

Tell 'em the Emperor's gonna cut 'em down

• You can run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Sooner or later He'll cut you down

• Well you may throw your rock and hide your hand

Workin' in the dark against your fellow man

But as sure as He made black and white

What's down in the dark will be brought to the light

• You can run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Run on for a long time

Tell the rambler,

The gambler,

The back biter

• Tell 'em the Emperor's gonna cut you down

Once back at base, everyone was at least in better spirits after suffering their first setback. As everyone dismounted, Ulfric asked them to stay a moment as he address them. “I want to congratulate everyone here.” He began. “I was right when I said everyone here was a cut above the rest and today proved it. Where lesser crews would have panicked and showed cowardice, you all rose to the challenge and surpassed my expectations.” He placed his hand on their tank's front hull. “I swear to you all we will seek restitution from those greenskin sons of whores. And woe to any who get in our way.” Everyone placed their hand over the Colonel's. “AVE IMPERATOR!!!” they all shouted as they raised their hands in defiance of the greenskins. The pep talk seemed to do the trick as the crew made their way back to their warm bunks in better spirits than before. Sister Mary rolled her eyes as the two lovebirds of Sgt Flykr and Sister Geniveve almost immediately grabbed their hygiene kits and made their way to the showers. Hopefully they would leave some hot water for the rest of the camp after a few of their rendezvous had emptied the sparse water boilers in the camp. Being tight knit the crew helped conceal the true reason, giving the excuse perhaps local vermin were chewing the hoses. Sister Mary took her shower after the two returned and once clean she lead the crew in evening prayers. As she lay in bed she prayed tomorrow would show her better fortune. 

(I know the song is by Johnny Cash but hey my story and I thought it fit so meh)

I like your imagination, e.g., minerals in the ground interfering with the auspex (and presumably, vox transmissions), and the Johnny Cash song being used as war hymn. However, more details are necessary, to answer the following questions:

Is Tyranid's Terror Able Company's lost Chimera? Is Righteous Anger the Atlas recovery vehicle?

Was the Atlas that winched Isabel's Vengeance out of the cavern, the one the tank was escorting? Or did it into the underground cavern days ago, and the adept crew was stranded and forced to shutdown non-essential systems to survive? If the former, was it still outside the cavern? If it was outside, how did it avoid the ambushing orks?

Was the krak warhead removed from the missile, before the winch was attached to it? Kind of pointless to use the missile this way, if the warhead will disintegrate the winch upon contact with the anchor.

Good to see Isabel's Vengeance gain sponson-mounted weapons with anti-armor capabilities. Will it be tested against foes for which this capability is necessary, e.g., a Chaos Land Raider, or a Looted (Ork-operated) Land Raider?

Archived