couple of daemons questions

Hey guys i have a few questions

1)is mono god viable ie pure nurgle or will this have such a major weakness that id be better off mixing all 4 gods

2)Is Kugath worth it over a regular GUO? On one hand hes 30 points less than a fully tricked out great unclean one who srguable offers alot more psychic and offensive power but does Kugaths extra abilities offset this?

3) i want to make my daemons a horde force with big monsters backing it up is this viable at all? And if so am i just best off using all 4 gods?

Thank you for any help

Mono Nurgle is viable.

You got tough GUOs, you have Shrouded ObSec PlagueBearers with FnP from Herald, you have anti-armor, you have Poisoned and ID anti-MC, you have anti-cover Psychic, etc.

People sometimes also forget that Nurgle can be very Fast with Nurglings, Plague Drones and Beasts.

Mono Nurgle is viable.

You got tough GUOs, you have Shrouded ObSec PlagueBearers with FnP from Herald, you have anti-armor, you have Poisoned and ID anti-MC, you have anti-cover Psychic, etc.

People sometimes also forget that Nurgle can be very Fast with Nurglings, Plague Drones and Beasts.

... and Blight Drones, lovely Blight Drones....

I prefer to DS nurglings into cover for linebreaker of key objectives later in game than infiltrating. To easy for a flamer to move up and score first blood. I also prefer to use my PB purely for summoning purposes. Otherwise they feel like dead points all game. Daemon Princes, GUO, SG, PD, and beasts of nurgle feel like the real work horses when I play.

Il be honest what worries me with Nurgle daemons is i wont have much in the way of ranged fire power

Fixed that for you.

Your ranged firepower comes in the form of psychic powers and Soul Grinders.  It doesn't matter which god you go for, daemons don't have much range they can bring to bear.  The Skull Cannons of Khorne are kinda cool, but not so amazing that it's worth taking them over a couple of Soul Grinders unless you have a very specific strategy in mind.  Plague Drones have some very limited short-range shooting they can do, but due to all Nurgle daemons being S&P, you're not going to be crossing distance very quickly.  Rely on deep strike and infiltrate to get your troops into position and then count on Shrouded with heavy cover and your naturally high toughness to stay alive against enemy fire.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal preference for mono nurgle (comp and fluffy) lists is also taking drones, GUO, DP with wings, outflanking nurglings.

The list I'm bringing to arc (an event in Victoria) its very comp heavy, and painting heavy.

Its 1350

Hq:

GUO

Lvl1, greater reward

Herald

Palanquin, lvl1, lesser reward

Troops

14 plague bearers

Plague bringer, musician, icon

6 nurglings

Fast:

7 plague drones

Plagueridden w/lesser reward, icon w/plague banner

Heavy:

Soul grinder of nurgle

Warp gaze

Daemon prince of nurgle

Lvl1, wings, greater reward

The army works quite well.

Essentially I start with the plague drones, soul grinder and DP on the board, everything else in deep strike reserve, nurglings outflank with the herald on palaquin.

I always try to deploy everything I have in cover as nurgle needs it to survive. Its actually the one thing that almost garuntees your survivability - shrouding is amazing.

The DP can be out in the open if you wish tho as it has the jink ability.

The soul grinder will be lucky if it can get cover, they aren't the easiest things to protect!

If you don't get first turn you need to hunker down in your cover trying to get your 2+ cover as best you can. If i do get first turn I move as quickly as possible up the board making sure I finish in cover.

Its all about your deep strike reserve roll, using the jet pack move and getting your drones in a good spot of cover is most important, drones tank wounds massively, they are hard to instant gib and if you can grab cover your looking at a decent save from shooting. Get the icon up there but make sure you bubble wrap it.

Its common you will find entire armies trying to take down this unit.

Soul grinders shoot any anything it can but dont rely on it

DP tends to receive alot of fire power too but it can take it, the main reason for this is the greater reward of ton giving him a balesword which for 20pts is an amazing weapon!!!

Also the warp storm table can be a fickle bitch!

Turn 2

Roll your reserves, taking a musician is crucial to getting the GUO down as well. This is where the speed comes from for nurgle despite being slow and purposeful the only time they are most vulnerable is when they deep strike. If ifail on the plague bearer no big deal, but fail on the GUO leaves a hole in my armies capabilities. But with the instrument you get 2 opportunities to roll for reserve for him.

Assuming everything goes down well the plague bearers pop up 6" from the drone icon, then the GUO 6" from the icon of those, essentially giving the GUO a 12-14" free move allowing you to place it exactly where you need it. If your opponents army is divided i may need to not use an icon but there's not that much risk associated in that most of the time...

Nurglings outflank, go to nearest cover from available edge, use aether blade on the herald, nurglings can tie up combat but be careful cos s6 will wipe them out.

The soul grinders main job is to get the best cover it can and hold the rear while provide anti air support.

Charge with drones, ws3 isn't great but using the plague banner works great in conjunction with things like an aether blade.

Turn 3

GUO and plague bearers join the fight all of which should be over in a turn, at which stage your just cleaning up whats left over...

The dp and GUO work great at taking down armour and mcs like wraithtides.

The tactic doesn't always work 100% of the time but when it doesn't its typically because ppl build a list to counter it, or they have a squad of wyverns - the bane of daemon existence!

Archived