Kamikaze sentinels?

sishuttleworth

Hi all

Looking at the idea of running a squad of sentinels with no upgrades - just heavy flamers.

The flamer means the ballistic skill isn't an issue, and they're so cheap it doesn't matter if they die. Wondering if it would be a good nuisance unit against my mates with marines - flame some power armour marines and then charge in and tarpit them. Would this work?

Cheers

I don't see why not, only thing is you could spend your pts much more effectively by taking other options. 

That being said, I am tempted to try sentinel spam. Milita training upgrade is actually pretty well priced for a full squadron of 6, and 12 autocannon shots is not bad.  I wouldn't take any other upgrades though, armored crew compartment is too expensive and the AV12 isn't terribly useful on such a small walker. 

Actually the armor isnt too bad if you take a full squadron. I think with armor, autocannons, and militia training they break evenish with 6 AM sents

But I myself just love the idea thematically of a swarm of rabble sentinels surging foward, esprcially with hordes of mutants or ogryn or spawn behind. I was thinking myself about making a counts as daemon engine of tzneetch represented by HF sents.

As an aside, RaH veterans have a similar issue with their pricing upgrades. Their a beat weak compared to AM vets, but for instance a bllody handed reaver build can make them equivalent to scions without much trouble

O they are certainly even with AM sentinels, you can take them in larger numbers as well which is a bonus. Just not sure I'd bother with the armor upgrade. 

Problem with R&H vets is ws4, bs3. Can't make them a good assault unit so that ws4 which you want to be bs4 is wasted. 

We can take plasma on scout sentinels which AM can't.  Outflanking plasma cannons seems good for troop hunting.  Probably dont even need the training upgrade with 6 small blasts.

A squad of sentinels is at the top of my list to try since I have 6 unassembled ones that were given to me as a gift.

We can take plasma on scout sentinels which AM can't.  Outflanking plasma cannons seems good for troop hunting.  Probably dont even need the training upgrade with 6 small blasts.

A squad of sentinels is at the top of my list to try since I have 6 unassembled ones that were given to me as a gift.

How? I can't see that option

• 3 months later...

Yeah I was pissed when I realized plasma isn't an option.

So I realize the points could be better spent elsewhere, but I already have the armored sentinels.  Are flamers still the way to go to keep it cheap?  I was thinking maybe having a mix of options to see what sticks before they die.

This kamikaze idea is probably the only viable option for them.  Probably not the best use of the word "viable" but hey...

I'm converting Dust and AT-43 walkers, so I can scratch build weapons and make them into whatever I want really.

But based on what I have now, I was going to use them as 2 leman russ, 1 chimera, and 1 hydra.  I was thinking of adding a medusa, but I'm unsure if I want the tank or the gun carriage.

I think the multiple rocket pods aren't a terrible option.

A 24" S4 Large blast. Doesn't need militia training. And get more shots off during a game then a heavy flamer would.

Definitely stay in cover with them.

Edit: spelling

Archived