Battlesmith Rule and Assault

Sword

Hello all,

A question regarding the Battlesmith special rule and how it affects assault. If my character uses the battle smith rule on a vehicle does this then prevent him from assaulting an enemy unit in that same turn's assault phase?

The rule for Battlesmith state that "If a Battlsmith is in base contact with, or embarked upon, one or more damaged vehicles during the shooting, they can attempt to repair one of them instead of firing a weapon...". The only restrictions on it are that the Battlesmith can't be falling back or have gone to ground.

Now this came up yesterday during a game where my opponents interpretation of the rule was that I was targeting my vehicle with an ability used in the shooting phase and therefore couldn't target one of his units to assault with the same character.

All sorted out amicably at the time and I can see what he's trying to say... After all, surely it's going to take quite a bit of concentration to patch up a damaged vehicle, but RAW from what I can see doesn't prevent me from doing it?

Thoughts?

I think the key is "instead of firing a weapon" so there's no "targeting" occurring. I agree with you, and I don't believe there is any justification to say that he cannot assault an enemy unit after repairing a friendly one.

Some units are disallowed from charging. Common reasons a unit is not allowed to declare a charge include:

• The unit is already locked in close combat.

• The unit Ran in the Shooting phase.

• The unit has Gone to Ground.

• The unit shot Rapid Fire weapons, Salvo weapons, Ordnance weapons or Heavy weapons in the Shooting phase. This even applies if Snap Shots were made with these weapons.

• The unit is Falling Back.

• The unit is a Flying Monstrous Creature that changed flight modes during this turn.

In addition to the above, a unit that fired in the Shooting phase can only charge the unit that it targeted during that turn’s Shooting phase.

Source; 7th edition Rulebook, Assault Phase

Those are the limitations (in addition to the codex/rule specific limitations) which prevent the model from charging. There's nothing from preventing a Battlesmith from charging past a vehicle, giving it a reassuring slap and tickle as it sprints on by, shouting over its shoulder to pull itself together.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived