Scions of Blood, A blood angels successor

Rizara

Greetings Fellow Brothers.   To help me actually stay motivated, as well as to get some helpful advice from time to time, I decided to create a Blog for my army.    With the release of the new codex, new models, and simply just growing tired of all shooty armies (previously Imperial Fists successor, Dark Angels, Sisters, and Tau), I have decided to go back to the blood angels and recreate my successor chapter for a third time.   

My first go at this successor chapter was back in 3rd edition when I worked at a GW store.   In 5th I started them again, however I lost interest in the army, I feel it might have been the slightly vampire feel I was going for but wasn't feeling.   This time I am keeping the name from the second incarnation as well as the basic color scheme.   However I am looking at reworking my old fluff ideas, as well as the imagery of the army.   

This time around, I want to keep them mainly as a successor of the Blood angels, focusing on the fact that they are Sons of Sanguinius.   Unfortunately I do not have any images of the old color scheme at all, but the old Icon was a blood drop with batwings, wings that are similar to the nightlords icon and less like the angels Encarmine.   However, the planned color scheme is essentially a reversal of the Flesh Tearers Color scheme, so black armor with red chest eagles, red helmets, shoulder pads, and back packs.   I want to keep with a darker red, not the bright blood red, and I am still iffy on doing the red bolter casings like I did last time.  Black casings would be too much black, and not sure what other color I can use.   The red works, but I could go with white or a light grey casing.   I also have debated on using white helmets instead of red helmets, but might have to play around with the look in painter when I get a chance.    The army icon is the other thing I am reworking, as I want to get rid of the whole bat imagery.   That means the new take will not have the bat wings, or the pale flesh tones.  I am going with more natural flesh tones, but will not have many models with exposed helmets, simply because painting all that extra flesh takes a little more time.   

Also I am going to model the entire army using the new base sizes, and since the bases are larger, I am going to also create a display board for the army and customize my bases for the whole army.    This means the army isn't going to painted up or modeled over night.   So I am warning you guys their, that this will be a slow blog.   I get a little time to get started modeling wise over the holidays on my initial models, and then when classes kick back up, my time will be reduced alot.   That is why I am using this blog for extra motivation, to keep me going.   However during school sessions, I might be updating the thread with less models and maybe some artwork that is related. (since I am in illustration major, maybe I can use the art assignments to create something personal and more hobby related for me).    In the past I have cut alot of corners just trying to get an army finished.  This time I am going to spend more time on painting each model.  I wont be going for golden demon quality, but i want to personalize them a little bit more, and make sure they look good.   

As for my initial start, I have created a work towards 2000 point army list.   This helps me to get my army going, keeps me budgeted and focused on painting what I can towards this initial list.   I am also working with what I have left over from previous marine armies that I sold off, and adding to that to round off the army with a balanced and yet somewhat fluffy list.   

So my initial models I have, that are already assembled, is a Librarian with Jumppack, 5 sternguard (that will become ornate looking tactical marines and sergeants), a land raider Redeemer, a rhino, 2 razorbacks with assault cannons, and a predator with turret options for a baal, or exterminator (converted plasma turret), and then an extra random lascannon marine and some sergeants and an old command squad.    I am not using the command squad or some of the extra sergeant models yet, maybe in future expansion of the army.   

My work towards list is as follows.

Librarian with Jump pack, Gallian's Staff

Sanguinary Priest, jump pack and Valor's Edge

Sanguinary guard x10, chapter banner, x1 powerfist, x1 axe

Death company x10, jump packs, 1x power fist, 2x power swords

Tactical squad, x10, vet sergeant with hand flamer and power weapon, flamer, heavy flamer, Rhino

Tactical squad, x6, sergeant with combi melta, Meltagun, razorback with TL assault cannons

Tactical Squad, x6, sergeant with combi plasma, lascannon, Razorback with TL assault cannons

Assault Squad, x10, vet sergeant with twin lightning claws, 2x meltaguns, Jump packs

Baal predator, with heavy bolter sponsons and assault cannon turret

Land Raider Redeemer with multimelta.  

I will look at adding some pics as i work out the first few guys, as it stands, I have the previous stuff plus a blood angel tactical squad, 2 death company boxes, and a vanguard box set on sprues.   

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on an army icon, I would glady take some suggestions.  I plan to incorporate a blood drop somewhere in the icon, and I want it to be a purple blood drop, to be different of course.  Just not sure if going with the normal blood angel icon would look right, was thinking maybe a blood drop on top of a stylized S, or worked into an S to represent the scions, or using maybe a blood drop with one set of wings come off the drop, like half a blood angel icon, and maybe a black wing instead of white, highlighted of course so it stands out a little more.    I also thought about using a blood drop inside of a white geometric shape like a diamond or a circle.  

• 2 weeks later...

So its been a busy week out of no classes and holidays.  I managed to get my codex and models in, and I started working on my base work sculpting.   

Here is a WIP shot of the green stuff stone tiles for my bases.   I will say, I am loving the new larger 32 mm heroic bases, lots more room and gives the figure a more imposing presence as well.  Its nice to not have all my space marines feet hanging over the edges of the bases. 

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s585/Jason_Mullis/Scions%20Of%20Blood/Basework_zpsdd3a9259.jpg

However, with the local store being out of primer, and me being out of primer, as well as misplacing my drill for drilling out the barrels of the guns, My assembled force so far is just going to have to wait.   Since I was ordering some primer, decided to also get a can of Dragon Red from army painter to speed up painting the tanks a little.  With some masking, i can at least section off the red area's that will need basing.     So far I have 2 five man tacs assembled, my librarian, 9 death company, the rhino, two razor backs, baal predator and the land raider reedemer.    I have more models to add the 10 death company, 10 assault marines, and at least the start of the next tac squad up to 5 man.   I am just waiting on more of the 32mm bases to arrive so I can sculpt them and assemble those models.   

Till then I am hoping I can get started at least on the 3 models I have primed right now, which is the librarian and the two sergeants with combi weapons.     Wont be any huge progress before classes are back in session, but hopefully I can make some time in between my classes and family to get a little painting done over the next few months.   Will update with progress as I make some more.   

Group Shot

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s585/Jason_Mullis/Scions%20Of%20Blood/FirstGroupShot_zps6a2d6e51.jpg

and Close up shot of marines.  Gotta remember to use the finer detail setting next time I photo them.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s585/Jason_Mullis/Scions%20Of%20Blood/Closeup-GroupShot_zpsfaacc1e4.jpg

Thanks, it's just the recent space marine one with a sanguinary guard backpack. Due to him having the raised leg I had to sculpt a broken small column piece for his foot to prop on. His back pack also has a sculpted librarian horned skull on it. My only issue now is to give him the traditional blue armor with the red pack and arms like the rest of the army, or keep his armor the same color as the rest and just give him the blue tabard/ cloth. Thinking the latter as I am already having some color choices for the cloth pieces on other models in the army which I am leaning towards a beige or off white for those. Plus weapon casing is a choice I haven't settled on yet either.

Previous incarnations of this chapter had red bolter and chainsword casings and that just feels like too much red. Black is also not really a good choice since it's the other primary color of the army. White is used for markings mostly so might just be too bright and gold would just make them feel as if they were toting bling coated relics. However looking at the pics in the new dex, the devestators seem to have gold or brass colored casings on the plasma cannons and multi meltas. So I could go with a darker brassy gold color to make them feel like relics and then use red casings for death company and black casings for the sanguinary guard that I am already planning to paint a dark gold brass color.

Thanks, it's just the recent space marine one with a sanguinary guard backpack. Due to him having the raised leg I had to sculpt a broken small column piece for his foot to prop on. His back pack also has a sculpted librarian horned skull on it. My only issue now is to give him the traditional blue armor with the red pack and arms like the rest of the army, or keep his armor the same color as the rest and just give him the blue tabard/ cloth. Thinking the latter as I am already having some color choices for the cloth pieces on other models in the army which I am leaning towards a beige or off white for those. Plus weapon casing is a choice I haven't settled on yet either.

Previous incarnations of this chapter had red bolter and chainsword casings and that just feels like too much red. Black is also not really a good choice since it's the other primary color of the army. White is used for markings mostly so might just be too bright and gold would just make them feel as if they were toting bling coated relics. However looking at the pics in the new dex, the devestators seem to have gold or brass colored casings on the plasma cannons and multi meltas. So I could go with a darker brassy gold color to make them feel like relics and then use red casings for death company and black casings for the sanguinary guard that I am already planning to paint a dark gold brass color.

I always paint my libbys red, I don't like having one guy look so different to the others. I don't think brass casings would look very good, too OTT. I would probably go with black. You should paint up a test model with a black casing and see how he turns out.

small update.   Got a new updated group shot.  Tried to get some close ups on the new units I added but the camera came up with a lot of fuzzy shots even with a tripod.  

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s585/Jason_Mullis/Scions%20Of%20Blood/Groupshot2_zpsdaf62892.jpg

anyways, so I got 10 more bases in, and got them all sculpted up, and decided to start with half of the ten man tac squad.   Need another box to round it off, but I got the sergeant with hand flamer and power sword, a heavy flamer marine, and 3 bolters.  The primed ones were from the sternguard squad that i had already assembled with the sergeant getting an arm replacement and backpack replacement.     The other 5 marines I built were up for debate but since I had the vanguard squad, i decided to go with an expensive but heavy hitting unit.   So I ended up getting a 5 man squad, all with storm shields, relic blade, 2 thunderhammers, 1 power sword, and an inferno pistol.  I am dubbing them my siege breakers, and essentially that was the idea behind that unit.   I may add 3-5 more later once I can get another box set, and when I do, it will probably include another with inferno pistol and shield, and then some cheaper less killy ones with just chainswords and shields.     I opted for that unit  instead of a full 10 man assault squad, so the other 5 bodies will instead become just an 5 man assault squad with the melta spam to ride in a drop pod.  

Also, I added a bit of color to a few marines, just the base coat of red, but wasn't sure I was liking the full red sleeves.    The tanks I ended up getting masked for a base coat of army painters dragon red.  Its not as dark as I wanted, but I can easily do a wash of the darker red to it.   At least I have my tank patterns all marked.  Decided to do some diagnol markings, as I really liked the look from the forgeworld books, and decided it would also be different and add something interesting to the armor division of my chapter.    

Now to get time to actually progress some models, but with classes starting up monday, I may just go ahead and get started on the art assignments so i can try to get some time to paint by being ahead on the class work.    I think after this point, i will just put the army up, and leave one model out at a time to work on, so i can try to nail down the color scheme, and then probably progress the tanks up after the first model is done, so I can knock out the armor of the army, as well as a large points sink of painted units.  

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a great update...haven't touched these guys in weeks, other than getting them all primed black. Been busy with school stuff, but I have been contemplating my color scheme. Seriously wanting something other than black and red. Sick of doing black armies, though they might be easy, I've been itching to paint them a different color for a blood angel successor. So I was thinking instead of black, maybe purple. But would purple and red look good on a marine as the primary color scheme. Was thinking of keeping the red since I got those stripes of red already on the tanks. I can then use black for bolter casings, and white for markings, and for power weapon, eyes, optical a and such either greens or blues, or turquoise. Just not sure if purple would look good with red, since I was thinking a darker red. My main source of influence that is making me lean in this direction is a purple fire raptor I saw online, tht things a beauty and you don't see a lot of purple marines other than emperors children, and even then only if it's Horus heresy, cause most chaos players go the pink and black route around here. If I can find some time this weekend inberween art projects I will see if I can play around with the marine painter and see if I can come up with a scheme. Till then, what do you guys think of a purple and red blood angel successor? It might also mean a name change too.

Oh yeah, also was looking at the 1000 chapters site the one that has a lot of color schemes with names of 1000 chapters, and I saw a purple color scheme that used the blood angel icon, winged blood drop, but with purple blood drop. It was mostly a purple and white color scheme, but the name of that MIA fluff chapter was Angels Eternal. It's not a bad name but doesn't sound very blood angel successor to me. Anyways, if you guys have some good names that would also be good. While I liked the name, Scions of Blood, it might be time for an updated name that sounds more suiting. To me, that name still sounds a bit sinister, but it still could work I suppose.

well if not going for a unique complimentary color combo(which would be red and green if you're wondering), you could go with red and blue, red and grey(very rare) or maybe a metallic mix?

Red and gold is very blood angel like but red and copper or red and bronze could look cool too.

Archived