Another SH Termie Conversion Question! Chaos Edition!

Schurge

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good guides to converting non-Chaos models to Chaos. I want to make my Space Hulk terminators useable in my mono-Khorne army. I've never done conversions before... I figured I could use Green Stuff to deface the Blood Angel heraldry but I don't know what that would look like or how to even start it.

Personally im doing the same but BA to NL.

Ive personally kept skulls and chains as these are standard for Chaos, remove any blood drops and grails with a knife to start with.

Ive added small tusks for the helms and if you can swap out a few for chaos terminator helms.

Spike racks are easy to make or stick on so pop them on, also if you are confident to do so green stuff some arrows on as this will also cover up some loyalist items.

I hope these simple conversions help.

The quickest way to show their altered allegiance (and perhaps the most accurate for recent recruits to the long war) is to simply defile the symbols of imperial allegiance with paint. (obviously those who are trying to confuse the imperium may refrain from such, eg. some Alpha Legionaires) [Painting]

The next step would probably be to file off those symbols (Aquillas in particular, except when left in mockery, eg. some Emperor's Children) [Files/Painting]

After that they probably start to need repairing their armor with off marks and such and otherwise show the wear and tear of travel in space and in the eye and long warfare without access to their previous imperial resources and supply lines. [Kitbashing and filing plus painting, additionally you may want to look at the chaos line for changes that might be taking place to mimic with greenstuff]

Eventually, the long years in warp tainted space and/or in service of the Four begin to take their toll. Gifts and other mutations begin to pile up. Tentacles, horns, and fleshy patches in armor are often some of the first signs. [Primarily greenstuff, or kitbashing with organic lines such as nids, orks, and daemons in addition to the above steps].

The question you may want to ask is how far gone are they?

As for suggestions, simply adding some spikes and blades and filing off aquillae, blood angels symbols, mostly wings, and crux(? plural of crux?) terminati in addition to paintinga red scheme or red elements such as decal or freehand marks of khorne would go a long way toward representing a chaos terminator aligned with the god of blood. Additionally, modifying the helmets to have horns or tusks using greenstuff would be not too difficult and help to tie them into the chaos terminator model line. Additionally, doing some teeth, trophies, or other modifications to the storm bolters is probably warranted since csm termis use combi-bolters of a variety of marks instead of the loyalist storm bolters.

Many times you'll start with a knife to take off the bulk of a detail, and then use a file to finish the job and smooth the surface. At least a few good quality files and a razor blade (with lots of spare blades) are hobby essentials, really, and you'll want both. And be sure to get good quality files if you want good results; I swear by Swiss made Grobet jewelers files, personally. They will cost a few dollars more, but they will last for decades and produce top-notch results no matter what material you work with.

For sanding/filing I recommend Emery Boards.  The kind they use for fingernails.  They have greater variety for grit and give a much better finish than anything I have found for metals.  Also they are super cheap.  You can buy them at any department store or mall.  Like Nails Plus etc.

I reckon fresh traitor (scum) stuff would be reasonably intact so the plain jane look could be pulled off just freehand some of the khorn symbols and add some battle damage/rust crappy paint to make them look nice and rough

if green skills permit maybe some horns and whatnot or try and get some chaos sprues and mix it up a bit with some conversions

I converted the Space Hulk Terminators to Chaos.

The main part was a mix of arm swaps, and cutting some arms down to fit Chaos Trrminator shoulder pads plus a little bit of greenstuff detailing.

I've linked to the entire gallery below so as not to clog the thread with images

Archived