Black library Horus Heresy Novels in paperback form

Operative

Hey all

As I'm sure we have all noticed black library has released all of their new novels in hardback form first, I was wondering if they are going to release these novels in paperback form in the future (this includes the latest limited edition novels such as the seventh serpent). Furthermore is black library going to release new novels in paperback before hardback at some point.

Thanks Everyone, please help out if you can

I can't remember where it was said, but basically the plan is for Black Library to release everything in "every" format.  Novels will be released in hardback, paperback, digital, and audio formats.  Audiobooks will also be released in digital and book formats (even if only as part of anthologies or "audiobook scripts" collections).  I would be very surprised if novels are released in paperback first.  The trend thus far has been for the more expensive format to be released first.

Are you talking about the larger paperback format, or the smaller?  The former seem to come out a few months after hardback.  The latter tend too take a while to be released.

From what I recall last time I looked, the hardback comes out first, then the large paperback some months after that, and then finally the regular paperback some months after that. Unremembered Empire, which came out in October 2013, is available in the regular paperback size, whereas Vengeful Spirit, which came out in May 2014, is available in the large paperback but not the regular size, so that gives you some idea of current timescales.

I'd be very surprised if they ever released one in paperback first. The whole point is that people will get hardbacks because they're desperate for the book, and BL (as with most publishers) want to exploit that.

All novels and full anthologies should be regular-sized paperbacks eventually. The novellas and smaller anthologies (like Death & Defiance, Sedition's Gate and The Imperial Truth) I'm not so sure about: they'll come out for general purchase in hardback format in time, but I don't believe any have yet been published in a regular paperback format. Though some may appear within other collections (e.g. Brotherhood of the Storm is in Legacies of Betrayal, which should come out in regular paperback format eventually).

Thanks everyone for the info (you can all have a like), whilst I really like the Horus Heresy Books I want all of the ones I own to be in the same format (its a bit OCD I know) so I'll just wait. Besides the newest novel I have read is unremembered empire so I've still got a lot to read about (not counting all the previous novels I haven't read).

Don't worry: many people are ultra-OCD about it too. I'm not going to go back and get Hardback versions for the first twenty or whatever personally - but if you're able to start being proactive about it now, sensible.

If you can wait that long ;)

Archived