Crusade of Wrath - Final Report

Acebaur

• 2 weeks later...

------------------------------

+++Ordo Militum - Servitor A6745 - Log+++

+++Vox-record#28683+++

+++Information derived from concealed listening device, planted in the office of Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor <REDACTED>+++

"Yes my liege, I understand that b-b-but..."

*Muffled sounds of encrypted vox channel.*

"It's just that my m-m-master is most anxious to... Yes, of course, I-"

*loud footsteps booming across a hard floor*

"Scribe, dammnit, give me that!"

*The scribe's response is an indiscernible whimper.*

"Govenor? Stop wasting my time! I need that data immediately. I've got conflicting reports flooding in from all over the sector - DO NOT PRESUME TO INTERRUPT ME! - and I will have your monitoring station telemetry or I will have your head for a servo-skull! Do we understand one another? Thank you, your cooperation with the Ordo is greatly appreciated."

*Vox receiver is slammed against re desk.*

"Feth, that man is infuriating. Scribe, report?"

"None of them make much sense sir..."

"REPORT?"

*gulp*

"Militarum personnel in NX-03 confirmed that the Templar main lines finally washed over the enemy defences and onward into NX-04. There are some small pockets of resistance prodding our defences and looking for escape into NX-02, but nothing that we cannot contain."

"I know this already scribe..."

"But I managed to contact an... operative... in NX-04. He was furious, claiming the Templars swept through the region like an exterminatus. The enemy in the region stood no chance, and it appears none escaped. The collateral damage was..."

"But what of the target?"

"That was the cause of the Vindicare's fury sire, he failed to locate it and was adamant the Templars were to blame."

"Ha, no doubt he was. But if the arch-fiend was there, then surely it would have perished along with the rest, and we would know already? More likely the assassin lost the trail and the creature passed straight through the sector after the reclamation of NX-03."

"It would be a plausible scenario, sire."

"Obviously. Well? Continue!"

"The advanced flank of the Templar effort was in a position so as to squeeze the foe from either side in NX-05. But the enemy was prepared, and well dug-in. The battles rage still, but no solid ground has been gained there. ...And it looks like that is where the expansion will end."

"This is where the reports become, how did you put it... 'Problematic?'"

"Yes my lord. There were reports that the arch fiend was sighted heading deep into the dark systems of NX-07. You know the rumours of what was hidden there. The Black Templars sent a strike-team to try and secure it. The team hasn't reported in, as far as we can tell. Our intercepted communications indicate the whereabouts of the device are unkown."

"But what of the fleets?"

"The Govenor's office has just transmitted the files sire. The Templar fleets appear to moving out."

"Feth... Have they responded to my message?"

"Not as of yet sire. Perhaps you need to be more... direct?"

"I'm no fool, scribe. A planetary govenor can be threatened. The last Inquisitor to challenge the Templars simply vanished. Even I couldn't find him. No, if they aren't responding then it is because they do not choose to share their plans."

"Then what are they doing, sire?"

"I can't say for sure. The immediate threat to the region is definitely over, and we have, what, 23 reclaimed worlds, at the last count?"

"Correct sire."

"Then they could simply have decided a long-term war of attrition in the sector is unwarranted. It wouldn't be without precedent. Or they may be pursuing the arch-fiend? The damned creature is dangerous, it has eluded us at every turn. It's possible there are loose tongues or corrupted hearts within our forces that are assisting it. The Templars keeping their plans a secret from the larger Imperium may help if they intend to catch it."

"We also received word from Macragge, sire. A call to arms; it may have been deemed a more pressing concern?"

"Or a greater challenge? We can only speculate."

"Well, what happens now, my lord?"

"Like always, we pick up the pieces. We need to establish a significant military presence on these reclaimed worlds. The enemy will be fleeing deeper into the maelstrom, so we must take the chance to reinforce our defences. If the Templars are truly leaving the sector, then by the Emperor we will defend what they have won. If they should return to finish what they have started, they will find us ready to continue the assault. I'll need a good man on the ground in sector NX-03 to organise things. Get me Colonel Grimshaw on the vox, he owes me a favour."

"As you wish, my liege."

+++Recording ends+++

--------------------------------

gallery_15184_7227_9788.jpg

The results are in and the numbers tallied. The Templars made a great go of it, but the numbers dwindled after the first round and we struggled thereafter to make an impact in a couple of key sectors. With a greater show of force we may have triumphed in all sectors, but as it is we still bravely faced the enemy against the odds and managed some substantial gains. A big hand (or claw/talon/tentacle) for our Arch-fiend as played by Flint13 - you really injected some fire into proceedings and made things interesting. Congratulations on making your devious escape ;)

For those who participated, we present the campaign badge of the Crusade of Wrath. This is the shield-badge worn by Templars who participated in the crusade. The flame details are sometimes represented by the top half of a red diamond:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/crusade%20of%20wrath%20test%20badge_zpshnhag3hj.png

Working alongside the collective of the maelstrom warders, the Templars brought their untempered wrath to purge the enemy in fire, reclaiming a full 23 worlds for the Emperor.

Here are both the full banner for the crusade and a larger signature-banner:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/Crusade-of-Wrath-Banner_zpskditgcqh.gif

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k48/Acebaur/Crusade%20of%20Wrath%20Sig%20copy_zpsdl7ci4up.jpg

Wear them with pride!

Thanks for participating, we hope you enjoyed the event and we will surely be pestering you for feedback in the coming weeks.

Imperator Vult!

Honda, Acebaur & Marshal Mattias

Thanks for taking the time to write the final report and make the crusade badge.  I shall wear it with pride, this was in no way a pyrrhic victory-- we liberated 23 worlds from the taint of chaos.  Yes, the arch-foe managed their escape, but their judgement is set; the state of execution inevitable.  

And apologies on the wait, that was mostly my doing. It took me longer to design the Sig banners this time than normal. Mostly because I wanted a unique small version for us instead of simply turning the large banner sideways ;)

Yes, I'd just like to point out that the wonderful weekly maps (as well as all the behind-the-scenes number-crunching and formula-creation) were organised by Honda, and those beautiful signature banners were a real labour of love by Ace. I was lucky enough to get to post them each week along with my write-ups ;)

This was a team effort and "we" the mods had a lot of fun in the planning.

Also, I want to thank Ace for setting the mood right from the beginning and creating that amazing video. That video FIRED me up!

As we look back on this effort, I'd like to gather some feedback. So if you wouldn't mind providing:

1. What did you like about this exercise?

2. What did not appeal to you? Why?

3. Would you participate in another such exercise?

4. If you did not participate, why was that?

Thank you all who contributed and may the ZEAL be with you!

1.) Kicking Templar in the shins and other assorted nefariousness. It was also neat to see everyone's combined efforts building a consistent narrative and campaign.

2.) Kinda wish the mission plan was a little less vague. I like more of a "win this many, this happens. Lose this many, this happens" type of deal, but that's mostly personal preference.

3.) heck yeah!

But I didn't get a little campaign badge... *sniff* :(

Okay, here goes:

1) I liked the sense of camaraderie such an event creates among the templar brethren, all working towards a common goal.  I also liked that it got me back into the gaming aspect of the hobby, and that I got to really try out the SAV army list during the duration, and made me proxy and try out units I wouldn't have otherwise tried out in all likelihood.

2. There was no chaos narrative really, barring what Flint contributed to the thread.  There wasn't that sense of urgency or a face to the enemy: and lacking that rivalry honestly killed some of the potential drive for this event?  Maybe if a series of intercepted chaos transmissions with some inflammatory imagery, language, etc. would have spurred the community a little harder?  Maybe if there was another, similar event, chaos could write their fluffed out battle reports and we could cross link to stoke the fires a little harder?

3. Absolutely. 

4) The parameters, nature, rules and direction of the event weren't defined from the get go.  I really had no idea what this was for weeks.  It just read as a sort of "Do whatever" event.

I definitely think we could do a better job of presenting, now that we've done one of these.

Having said that, one of the original intents with this effort was to portray some of the feel that was in the Eye of Terror campaign, oh those many years ago. If any of you participated, then you know that GW presented a framework for playing games and sat back to see what the gamers would do.

And what happened amazed them. It was truly an epic event and something I still have fond memories of.

So the goal here was to lay out the canvas and let the community paint it. It would have been very easy for us to just say, "Ok, you have four turns to conquer NX-07" and what would people have done? Jumped straight there after conquering some of the early sectors. Instead, we wanted to see if you would organize, develop a focus, boldly go where no Templar has gone before.."

One of the things that we didn't take into account was the amount of supporting material it takes to manage an effort like this. We had a lot of grand ideas that in hindsight we should have prepared for earlier than we started <shrugs> We learned.

Also,this started off as a bit of a "Hey, want to do this? You DO? Um, Ok, let's do it!" kind of thing. It was different from a painting contest, but it fit with some of our other goals which was give people a reason to roll dice. Not everyone has time to paint. Not everyone has time to game. So we wanted to provide activities that would allow anyone to participate and get the Crusade badge.

It is safe to say that, if there was to be a next time, we'll plan better and structure things in a more "interesting" way.

As far as the story goes, we're pretty happy with what transpired.

So when some of you have your grandchildren on your knees and you are relating tales and deeds about your Templars, always remember to tell them that when the Crusade of Wrath took place, "You were there!"

Cheers,

1. What did you like about this exercise?

I really enjoyed the story you guys worked up. The charts were a nice touch too, it's nice to be able to track the progress at a glance. 

2. What did not appeal to you? Why?

It felt a little disorganized. I would have enjoyed just a bit more direction.

3. Would you participate in another such exercise?

Sure.

Archived