Crusade of Wrath - Final Report

Acebaur

Gonna try and get a phase 2 mission in this week brothers, but I may have to redouble my efforts and commit to phase 3 instead.

"Hey, take your time, no need to rush." - said every heretic, xenos, and witch in the Argos Nebula  :P

Here's my list for a game I'm having this week; using the siege vanguard list with templar chapter tactics:

HQ:

1)Siege Master (115) with teeth of terra (35) and storm shield (15)                           165 points
Troops:
Assault marine squad: (155), 2 meltaguns (20), sergeant with lightning claw (15), 
  DT: Landraider Crusader (250), Pintle multi-melta (10), extra armor (10) = (290)   
                                                                                             455 points
Assault marine squad: (155), 2 meltaguns (20), sergeant with lightning claw (15), 
  DT: Landraider Prometheus (270), Pintle multi-melta (10), extra armor (10) = (290)   
                                                                                             480 points
Assault marine squad: (155), 2 gravguns (30), sergeant with lightning claw (15)
                                                                                             200 points
Stormwing Formation:
2 stormtalons with assault cannon and typhoon launchers, stormraven with assault cannon, multi-melta, hurricane bolters and extra armor.                                                                                 525 points
Heavy Support:
Relic Sicaran (135) + Armoured Ceramite (20)                                                 155 points

Puts me at 1980 points, though I may plop down some hunter killer missiles on the raiders for some more anti-vehicle/marine potshots.  Wish me luck.  I'm a little nervous-- first game I've run without at least one vindicator in it; but if I win this game-- I'll add them back for phase 3, haha. 

Pre-battle fluff:

-------------------

Antón stood at the crest, overlooking the sprawling edges of the hive below. It looked much the same in war as it did in the bouts of calm between raids from the maelstrom. Clouds of thick smoke belched from burning wrecks instead of the chimneys of the manufactorum, the distant rumble of combat replacing the usual pounding of the machinery.

And what a pointless fight it was, off in the distance. Some fool commander had led his garrison in defence of the last raid by Traitor Astartes, and when the fighting was done, had found himself in a position of increased power. He had set himself above the planetary govenor and claimed martial law over the district. Now the protectors had turned overlords, and thus turned traitor to the Emperor.

Had the commander been tainted by the ruinous influence of those he had fought? It almost didn't matter, his life, and that of those who followed him, was forfeit either way. Antón silently hoped it was true; to slay the filth of chaos was more to his liking than the butchery of stupid men.

He felt his rage rising; these thoughts reached into his heart at a primal level and urged him to action. Be they daemonic or not, the Heretics would be destroyed.

The loyalists, such as remained, had been fighting back, but needed assistance to break the foe. With the crusade passing through the region, Marshal Sevenius had looked for a champion to lead a small force and inspire the populace with acts of glory. Antón was to purge the enemy violently, to serve as an example to all those who might think to disobey the will of the Emperor.

A vox channel opened and the display in his visor indicated Sword Brother Gerhart in a private link:

"Brother Lancel? We are ready at your command."

"Fire up the engines, let them hear us coming and fear our retribution. There will be no pity - the city will burn until we have weeded out the last rot."

--------

Okay, I've got a bunch of ebay rescues I'm going to be stripping and repainting so I figured why not throw them down here. We'll be reinforcing the forces in NX-01 and this will most likely consist of a two part challenge the first part will be a partial squad consisting of 1 Sword Brother w/ claws, 1 Initiate w/ power axe, and 1 Initiate w/ flamer. I may, depending on time, add in an Initiate with melta to this group (basically all of my optional guys tongue.png). My goal is to have them done by the end of the first phase. For the second part I will be completing the bulk of the squad including a Sword Brother w/ power sword, Initiate w/ power sword, and at least 8 Initiates w/ BP/CCW. The goal there will be to have them completed by the end of the second phase.

Before shots in the spoiler of the first Sword Brother (which I've been sitting on for a while now without finishing, if that's not cool let me know) and the rest of the guys sitting in a simple green bath biggrin.png.

Ok I'll be finishing up this guy:

10887378_968330993196881_457517718249647

and these poor slobs:

10929971_992698307426816_119408784974277

EDIT: I've got my phase two stripped, shaved all the flash and mold lines off that the previous owner didn't care enough to clean dry.png, and primed for paint! I love it when a fresh coat of primer goes down and makes them look oh so new and SHINY!

10959532_995265177170129_440871080295188

Ok I've finished my ten man squad in two 5 man parts:

10974646_1002345419795438_67500077466089

10959915_1002345429795437_33909343296929

The first half of my squad which I finished last week has 4 standard ccw/bp Initiates and the power sword Initiate.

1559360_1002345426462104_854596696942038

10860843_1002345423128771_34363814638783

The second half I finished tonight, bit of a rush job since I won't have another chance to really paint before the end of phase two. Sword Brother Inigo ;) with power sword and 4 more standard ccw/bp Initiates.

10446278_1002345416462105_51329881195033

Finally a group shot of both parts. I hope everyone enjoys!

gallery_15184_7227_33781.jpg

Phase Two Report:

++++++++++++++++++++
+++Ordo Militum - Servitor A6745 - Log+++

+++Vox-record#26894+++

+++Information derived from concealed listening device, planted in the office of Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor <REDACTED>+++

"My Lord? I brought the latest dossier on the movements of Sevenius."

"Do we really need a dossier to track the trail of devastation that fleet leaves? Countless installations destroyed, assets that we will not readily replace..."

"Yes my Lord, they are rather... dedicated, in their pursuit of the foe."

"They are, aren't they? Reminds me of my youth..."

*coughs* "My lord?"

"Well, what can I say? They are effective, and they are on our side. The calculation is a simple one. Our local forces are already mopping up and securing our defences, with a little 'guidance' from the Templars yet to be called onwards to the front lines. We will soon see the back of them, and be the better for it."

"And their demands for supplies?"

"God Emperor, do I have to spell everything out for you? Give them whatever they want! They'll only take it otherwise. The sooner they move on, the sooner it is someone else's problem to deal with. Sometimes I think we were better off with the bloody pirate raids..."

"But..."

"But the Great Foe, yes, I know! Imbecile! Do I not look like a man who has seen his share of the darkness out there in the void? We need them, of course, these Templars. They fight with the same ferocity of our enemies, but I would be mad not to wish them fight someplace further away! Now they are leaving, and that means the sector is safer than it has ever been. I will be glad, and so will you. Send my regards to Marshal Sevenius, not that he'll acknowledge them. Now begone, quietly. I have work to do."

*footsteps recede*

+++Record ends+++
++++++++++++++++++++

-------------------------------------

++++++++++++++++++++
+++Recording of Sermon 3782 by Ecclesiarchy Minister *****, Hive City ******, Sector NX-02 +++

Praise the Emperor!
For His Blessed Sons walk among us, and spread His will. These mighty Angels, of our Divine Master of Terra, have driven back the xenos and the mutants who plagued us so relentlessly. Out faith and conviction has been heard by He who sits on the Golden Throne, and He has sent His most loyal and zealous servants to defend His people! Rejoice, for your lives and homes are safe under the protection of the Black Templars. Fear them, for they are mighty! Love them, for they are true! Show no weakness, no doubt, no impurity, and they will continue to protect you. Renew your vows to the Emperor and thank Him for His mercy! For we are but specks in a dark galaxy, but He brings us the Light!
Even now, His Sons follow their path onward to trample our fleeing enemies, defending our borders and growing our Empire!
Rejoice!
Their battles have been fierce, their resolve strong, and they have triumphed despite the overwhelming numbers of their foes! For their faith in our God Emperor is stronger than adamantium and He protects! So I tell you; return to the manufactorums, fire the engines and stoke the furnaces! Our Angels will take our sweat and turn it into a burning brand that slays the enemies of the Imperium! For Victory! For the Black Templars! For the Emperor!

*recording ends*
++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++
+++Intercepted Vox between Traitor forces in NX-03+++
+++Forwarding to Eternal Crusader+++
+Begins+

+My Master,+
+The loyalist dogs crash against our palisades like waves against the rocks.+
+Our brethren here hold strong against the incursions. Those retreating from NX-02 have been absorbed into the defence line, their champions sacrificed as an example. They were not taken by surprise, like the first to fall. They lasted longer, but lacked enough dedication to our cause to hold the line. This was inexcusable.+
+We however have held them back and more; their attack has faltered. The wounds we have inflicted are grievous and I believe we have cowed those lapdogs of the corpse-god. Their movements are stalled, and it may be that we can break them wholly.+
+We have called for reinforcements from NX-04 and NX-05; the warbands will answer your summons, that much is certain. I hope they arrive soon enough that we may launch our assault back into the ground we have lost. Any word from our faithful in NX-06? We have had no response for the call to arms, and I fear the Xenos in the region have grown bold enough to delay them. This could be problematic; we risk much in drawing away our forces from our flanks and must retain our dominance against the lesser races or we could find ourselves facing multiple fronts in this war.+
+I await your instruction, Master+

+++Signal lost+++
++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++
+++Report from Black Templar forces operating in NX-06+++

+++Message Begins+++

High Marshal,

Our blades have been swift, our enemies are devastated. We have wrought a path of fire through the Traitors' strongholds and left none alive. Marshal Sevenius' plan was bold, and it has been fruitful - they never saw us coming. Even now, word of the battles fought here has not left the sector and I believe this will be instrumental in the coming days.
The main thrust of our attack has ground to a halt in NX-03, our brethren report the enemy has amassed considerable firepower in entrenched positions. It will be a war of attrition which we cannot hope to outlast. We MUST get reinforcements to the sector, or all hope of success in this endeavour will be lost. Our forces here in NX-06 stand poised to strike unexpectedly, but the question of 'where' is one you must decide.

+++Message Ends+++
++++++++++++++++++++

Great write up-- can we expect an updated campaign map and rules for phase 3 in the next couple of days? I have a tentative game set up for Sunday.

The latest reports from Marshal Sevenius should reach each crusade leader shortly. ;)

+++Incoming Transmission+++

--Priority level Alpha--

--Received from Marshal Sevenius--

Brothers, we have dealt a heavy blow to the traitors in NX-06 opening the way to NX-08. With this we may be able to flank their forces and crush them between our fleets. However, we were rebuffed in our attacks in NX-03.  We cannot allow the traitors to push us out and cut off our brethren in the deeper sectors of the region.  May the Emperor guide your hands.  Sevenius out...

++Encrypted packet detected++

--Encryption level - Maximum--

Decoding.....

-Decoding Finished-

Playing back message...

This message will only play once before self deleting....

Intelligence reports coming in from advance scouts in the far east of the Nebula. NX-07, previously thought to be a worthless collection of systems orbiting dead or dwarf stars is possibly the location of an ancient Imperial stronghold. Evidence suggests that an ancient Ordinatus lays dormant on one of those worlds. If we were to recover it, it could tip the scales in the war....

-Message End-

Missions

Looking at the map and the narrative written I was wondering if there was a shipping lane between Nx06 and Nx03. Seeing as how my crusade is in Nx 02 I was going to move them 1 step into Nx03 for next week (2 battles) and then 2 steps from there to Nx07 to help reclaim the artifact (by way of Nx03-Nx06-Nx07). Since my force is kill team size I find that this is the best use of my force. Being small gives them the chance to move quicker and recover the artifact while looking for weaknesses in the enemies defenses.

If no lane is between Nx03 and Nx 06 would it then be okay to play the next two games in a pacified sector (such as Nx 01 or Nx06) as that way I can realign my force to make that move to Nx 07?

If a shipping lane as not been identified, then it either has not been discovered, is not safe, does not exist. So only those revealed may be used.

You may move your forces through any pacified sector to get to other sectors, as defined by the intelligence briefing. As there isn't a "movement" phase in a round, assume that you are able to get there, wherever "there" is, in time to fight your battles within the boundaries of the round.

I too am trying to get models painted and table ready for the crusade.  My work so far today and will hopefully be continued tomorrow:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/Phantomzero17/Army%20painter/40k/0225151610.jpg

I'll try better photos once they're all done.  So far two initiates, and two seconded brothers from other scions of Dorn because the urge struck me suddenly.  The other 10 grey models will be filling spaces in units I have yet to fully complete.  All members of the Marshals household Sword Brothers, Sword Brother Tacticals, and Sword Brother Sternguard.

A tale from the battles raging in NX-05:

The Castellan, the Inquisitor and the Daemon Prince.

-----

"Get his attention." Growled the Castellan, hefting the weight of his relic storm shield and flexing his fingers around the haft of his warhammer.

The inquisitor smirked, raising his bolt pistol. "With pleasure."

The crack of the shot was followed by a bellowing roar of pain, as the daemon creature took an explosive round to the lower jaw, leaving his foul long tongue lolling down against his chest. Even as it turned, the Inquisitor was reaching behind his back, his fingers closing around a jury-rigged bundle of exotic grenades, thumbing their timers before looping them through the air to burst all around the creature, their unique toxins permeating its flesh.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a628/matzeke/80AA08A2-0BD0-45AD-A348-668BB29627F0_zpshmyogzmn.jpg

The Castellan was impressed, not that he uttered any praise. He just twirled his hammer once; then with a gradual lurch, began to jog, then run, picking up speed and momentum with a glacier-like implacability. The warp-creature screamed and hurtled forward to meet him slashing wildly in a rage-induced flurry. Once, twice, three times, the Knight ducked, sidestepped and twisted, avoiding each thrust. The fourth, he had to turn away with his shield, a great screeching of metal-on-metal accompanying the sparks and flashes of warp-borne energy from the creature's sword. But the tempest of blows continued; five, six - a back step, a drop of his shoulder - seven - he was forced to roll to his side, a cloud of dust kicking up around him, clinging to the front of his tabard, obscuring the heraldry there - eight - the enormous blade flashed within a hair of his helm, swinging through and into an overhead blow which he had no hope of avoiding - nine. The boom echoed across the battlefield as if it were a silent graveyard. Through the smoke and dust, the Castellan was visible, his feet planted firmly apart, his shield raised high above his head, the blade of the daemon creature falling down around him in pieces, silver rain that glistened beautifully, belying its malefic origin.

The creature stumbled back, as the Black Knight rose from his stoop, the shield slipping from his hand as he span, pirouetted, and passed his hammer from one hand to the next in a glorious ballet of violence. The creatures eyes darted back and forth as it backed away, trying to follow the movement that only increased in speed until finally - a swooping uppercut that connected with the shattered face of the daemon creature, crumpling it for a fraction before the power field of the hammer caused it to explode in a miasma of gore. The force of the detonation sent a shockwave that blasted the dust cloud out and away, the black cross upon the Templar's chest standing proud once more.

-----

You may recall that Castellan Aquilon was treacherously defeated by a daemon of Khorne a few weeks ago in NX-01. His wounds were grievous but his spirit undaunted and howling for revenge. Since, the apothecaries and techmarines have been working tirelessly to bring this worthy brother back to the battlefield.

This will be my next project for this campaign : the venerable chassis is fully magnetised to allow 3 choices of gun and a choice of the weapon under the power fist. And since Aquilon's weapon of choice was the power sword, a power sword he will wield again.

http://reho.st/self/c0bbb722e8e247a3d3bc2bb8cffbfa47abb0a115.jpg

Nice, looking good! I'm struggling to see on my mobile, what's that sword made from? It looks great from here!

On another note;

Come on Brothers! Bring your ZEAL!

Your brethren are making small inroads in sectors NX-03 and NX-05, but they need support! Garbled communications also suggest there could be great benefit in a strike-team securing valuable assets in NX-07, but who dares to venture into the darkness there?

For the Emperor! For the Primarch! For Sigismund! Unsheathe your blades and ready your boltguns, the foe teeters on the edge of the abyss, and we will tip them over it!

No Pity, No Remorse!

Nice, looking good! I'm struggling to see on my mobile, what's that sword made from? It looks great from here!

Wood from a lolly stick/coffee stirrer. It's soft, easy to cut and file to shape. The cross-guard has been covered with green stuff and a couple of BT bits glued for extra zeal.

On another note;

Come on Brothers! Bring your ZEAL!

Your brethren are making small inroads in sectors NX-03 and NX-05, but they need support! Garbled communications also suggest there could be great benefit in a strike-team securing valuable assets in NX-07, but who dares to venture into the darkness there?

For the Emperor! For the Primarch! For Sigismund! Unsheathe your blades and ready your boltguns, the foe teeters on the edge of the abyss, and we will tip them over it!

No Pity, No Remorse!

My crusade is enroute to NX-07 to help uncover this relic of great value

No Pity, No Remorse!

Bah, need to read the next phase report before I commit to plans for this phases game(s).  Has NX-03 been pacified yet? 

Phase 4 is unfortunately going to be my last phase for commitment brothers-- I get married and depart for my honeymoon at the end of the month. 

So for the Crusade I've finished a Las/Plas Razorback and a Drop Pod today.  I also got two more Combi-gravs in the mailbox today so later tonight or tomorrow I'll go ahead and finish up those Sword Brethren.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/Phantomzero17/Army%20painter/40k/Snapchat--434946767345942205.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/Phantomzero17/Army%20painter/40k/Snapchat--3051146055331488024.jpg  I see that paint glob on the door now.  I'll need to do something about that

Hi guys! A little of a late arrival, but I totes got a few models painted and got in a grand total of three whole battles! This tripled my average yearly number of games. For each of the following three battles, I let the s/o take the reins of the Templar mini-crusade so she could learn, while I played the vicious but lovely Argel Tal biggrin.png

There may just be a new warlord for sector NX03...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/537/MIFqKf.jpg

Marshal Regnhilde leveled his pistol at the winged beast before him.

"Your foulness ends hear, creature."

Ceramite the color of clotted blood crackled and rent. The thing's helm broke open to form fangs of dripping adamantite and a hellish maw that glowed with blue wych light. The creature's words hissed across the top of the plateau.

"Son of Dorn, I have seen entire galaxies disemboweled. I have seen stars choke and die on their own blood. Your threats don't concern me overmuch. Now be silent. I wish to enjoy the sound of my blade parting your hearts from your ribcage."

The Battle of Darkan's Fold

Battle 1 - 500pts

CSM vs Templars

Region: NX-03

Crusade Ragnhilde

-Marshal - Relic Blade, Plasma Pistol, Digital Weapons, Artificer Armor, Auspex

-Crusader Squad - Sword Brother w/Power Axe, 8 Initiates w/ BP&CCW, Flamer

-Crusader Squad - Sword Brother w/Power Axe, 8 Initiates w/ BP&CCW, Melta gun

The Host of the Last Angel

-Daemon Prince - Power Armor, Wings, The Murder Sword, Mastery lvl 2, Biomancy (Tried to build Argel Tal as fluffily as possible.)

-Cultist Squad - Champion w/ Shotgun, 23 cultists w/ autopistol & CCW, 2 flamers

-Chaos Marine Squad - Aspiring Champion w/ Power axe, 5 marines w/ bolter, bolt pistol, CWW and Veterans of the Long War

Result: CSM victory 5:0 (Slay the warlord, line breaker, 3 kill points)

This one did not go attractively for the Templar. Argel Tal kicked over the Marshal in a challenge in turn 3 while his Chaos marine and cultist back up got stuck into a never ending giant blob combat with both crusader squads. Cultists are the best tarpits ever! As soon as Argel Tal had finished booting over the Marshal, he descended into the giant combat to take heads/names after getting all gussied up with Warp Speed & Endurance. Predictable results ensue.

Archived