Best units in new Codex

InquisitorBlack

So the dust has settled and now we have access to all our codex info and the new detachments and formations. The purpose of this thread is to share what we think are the best units of the new codex and explain why. I'll start:

1. Dante.

Dante is now a premier melee beatstick, in a similar power vicinity to Draigo, Abaddon, Calgary, etc. He also has great mobility and is a great force multiplier with Descent of Angels. While his old death mask was arguably better, it now acts as a great tool that periodically grants nearby BA units a boost to both attack and defence during combat.

2. Empty drop pods.

This unassuming change to drop pods mightn't impact greatly on those that don't utilise allies. But for those who do, it unlocks very powerful allies units that benefit greatly from such a delivery method (unavailable in their own dex). Centurions, purifiers, legion of the damned, scions. Extremely powerful options.

3. Mephiston.

Meph got nerfed on a purely statistical basis. But now with his IC status and huge point reduction, I feel he has become stronger. The old Meph+Corbs star is dead, but from experience, I feel that it only really became an A+ unit when meph rolled iron arm.

Now, with a fixed S10 power and quickening (if you take Sanguinary) he isn't as resilient, but is just as offensively powerful (minus smash). The ability to join a unit tends to his biggest previous weakness, making him a god tier psycher, second only perhaps to Tiggy (or loth if you play with FW).

4. The Assault Squad.

5 assault marines in a pod have access to triple special weapon (one is a combi). They come in at 115 points. This is insanely efficient. The drop pod discount effectively costs 5 man squads at 2 melta bombs per model. Wow!

So brothers, what do you think?

I am nonplussed by Meph and Assault Marines, personaly. I would be very surprised if they started to turn up in competitive lists.

My personal best-of units:

1- DC: Now that Jump Packs are costed appropriately, and that they score, I see no reason why a BA list shouldn't have at least one unit of these guys, if not more.

2- Sanguinary Priests: These make Sanguinary Guards, Terminators or VV much more dangerous and survivable.

3- Fragioso in a pod: need I say more?

4- Terminator Assault Squad in a pod: Dropping down on T1 helps making these guys more useful.

5- Grav bike squad: Helps so much in killing MCs.

6- Fast Vindies: S10 Ap2 large blasts to the face hurt!

Librarian Dreadnought:

This guy got everything I wished for except a cost reduction.

HQ and character status means access to warlord traits and challenges.

Upgradeable storm bolter, whoot!

New Sanguinary psychic discipline has mostly great powers, including an awesome primaris. 

Constant S10 forceweapon striking at I, which is easily boosted beyond the starting 4. 

All of the above really helped him to become a brutal beat-stick as long as you have at least one passive or active buff active.

Scary enemy stuff that you had to throw a souped up Mephiston or DC with rerolls at can now be dispatched by a much less expensive unit. 

Yea, assault terms in a pod have to be up there. Bring in corbulo also in a pod nearby and have him join them. 

I love the FA slot pod. 

Cant wait to try out a libby dread, also!

I havent managed to get a game in yet, but I cant wait!

It's a bit of a trick question for me, as looking across the codex what strikes me is not any one particular unit but the synergy between them.

Fragioso in pod became weaker; nerf to magna grapple means it loses roughly 50% of its anti-armour capability and now a frag cannon costs 5 points.

Dante is the most obvious stand-out though, as he can now go toe-to-toe with just about anything. How many times on here people said he should have EW and strike at init, and we got exactly that and more.

Sternguard benefit most from grav weaponry, making them more capable of taking down an MC in turn 1 than any other unit.

Our psykers are amongst the best in the game now. The Sanguinary discipline takes elements of powers from the other disciplines, giving them a lot of situational flexibility without sacrificing effectiveness. That 50-man IG blob with lascannons? No bother with Fear of Darkness. Oh, that blob has LD9 thanks to a priest / commissar? Let me just use Blood Boil on him first then.

Seriously we do not need to use allies now.

Not in particular order but things that suit on my play style.

1. Dante 

2. JP DC

3. Librarian Dread

4. Regular Librarian (Ability to take Terminator armor with Stormshield, combined with Force Axe on new Libby Model. Yeah, can kill wraithknight with bit of an luck with single round of combat...)

5. Tactical Marines. 

6. Sanguinary Priest

7. Scouts. They're now viable for my play style. (Ability to take Hellfire shells with heavy bolter, camocloaks and bolters and ability to infiltrate on enemy side with teleport homer...)

Alot of new good stuff, but 5 assault with 3 melta has my vote for best unit in codex (per point).

Are these guys just in a Pod to Suicide a big nasty? Or is there a good way to use them after that?

They are the cheapest (by a fair margin) way to get triple melta in a pod for any Space Marine codex. Furthermore, only one is a combi, meaning that unless they are taken out, they will continue to put out melta shots in consecutive turns. 

I'm finding this hard to answer, and I think this is great. Looking across the codex, there's nothing that strikes me as a "must take", and equally nothing that screams "this is garbage, leave it at home". For my play style in particular, I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of a Sanguinary librarian.

Im considering taking a techmarine and servitors now. Never really considered it before. Possibly on a bike. Possibly in a raven. Running a LR crusader, a Stormraven, and some various Dreads. Along with DC and Tacticals. Haven't thought it all through yet but having the techmarine running around fixing up the vehicles could be really strong. Not much can hurt the LR as it is, it would out survive everything on the table.

Lol. Yeah I don't know why but I think I can justify it. First off you have a 2+ save, upgrade to the harness and you get 2 shooting attacks. One of which is S7 AP2 twin linked. The other can be any of the ranged weapons you chose from the ranged list. Can take special issue wargear. The only thing that sucks is 1 wound.

Put him on a bike and you get to move 12" to get to your repairs or get in range to fire, you can jink to keep him around a bit longer. And hammer of wrath giving you a free hit.

Put him in a raven looks nice too. Drop him to repair wounded vehicles or repair the raven from within.

If you take 4 servitors and 2 of them take meltas, you'll be successfully repairing on a roll of 2+,

At 50 points base..75 with harness..and servitors costing 10 points. It leaves you with plenty of points to buy LR's, take a LoW, lots of dreads, etc.

I think ill try it next game. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Worth a go in a mech army for sure. Thing about raiders is they behave like an obsessive girlfriend when it comes to taking damage - very 'all or nothing' - as in either the oppo has nothing or very little to penetrate it, or it has lance or S10 AP2 in which case bet your hat it will pop your raider with one pen. Just too risky to be as reliable as it should be.

To me chaplains and techmarines really got the short end of the stick in this new codex. Chaplains as they lost the stat boosted reclusiarch and no longer boost DC thru the roof, and techmarines as it now takes a hq slot. Hq slots are in high demand with priests and libearians probably being the main focus there.

The Libby Dread has my top vote, for obvious reasons. Dante is a power house, exactly what a marine sized LoW should be. He's efficient and acts as a great modifier. I am envious that Logan did not get this kind of treatment.

And lastly, solely based on the new model, the TDA Libby. Love it. In a pod with some tacs, yummy fluffy!!

End of Line

5 man melta squads. So cheap and Killy in a pod, but also just generally good pod options that are really tactical.

5 pods for 3 dropping turn 1,

2 x 3 Melta,

1 x fragioso,

1 command triple plasma,

1 command grav guns.

Maybe swap a command pod out for a heavy flamer tac squad pod.

Gives you some great choices for what to drop turn one, has some nasty armour then drop 2 melta and the grav,

marines? drop the grav and plas

Softer units or units in cover? bring the fragioso in and the heavy flamer.

Then you can have some nice punchy Angels jumping up the field while they scramble to deal with the units you dropped on them.

5 man melta squads. So cheap and Killy in a pod, but also just generally good pod options that are really tactical.

5 pods for 3 dropping turn 1,

2 x 3 Melta,

1 x fragioso,

1 command triple plasma,

1 command grav guns.

Maybe swap a command pod out for a heavy flamer tac squad pod.

Gives you some great choices for what to drop turn one, has some nasty armour then drop 2 melta and the grav,

marines? drop the grav and plas

Softer units or units in cover? bring the fragioso in and the heavy flamer.

Then you can have some nice punchy Angels jumping up the field while they scramble to deal with the units you dropped on them.

I'm dropping 9 pods :)

First 5 = 

- Fragioso 

- Fragioso

- Assault Squad with Meph 

- Assault Squad + GK Libby and Level 2 Libby

- Purifiers

Come at me bro ;)

The Libby Dread has my top vote, for obvious reasons. Dante is a power house, exactly what a marine sized LoW should be. He's efficient and acts as a great modifier. I am envious that Logan did not get this kind of treatment.

And lastly, solely based on the new model, the TDA Libby. Love it. In a pod with some tacs, yummy fluffy!!

End of Line

No disrespect meant, what obvious reasons for the libby dread?? I have always found dreadnoughts so easy to kill its hilarious. Drop pod him, he gets to use psychic powers, then die. Storm raven him in you have to hover it on turn 3 at earliest to make a charge. I wasnt kidding about the no disrespect, please explain what i dont know! I used to take 2 contemptor mortis pattern in my ultramarines until i got tired of them getting stomped before they could do anything. I beg you...teach me lol. I love our psychic options and won a very long bet about us getting our own psychic power set with my friends. Help me realize an effective Librarian Dreadnought!

End of Line

No disrespect meant, what obvious reasons for the libby dread?? I have always found dreadnoughts so easy to kill its hilarious. Drop pod him, he gets to use psychic powers, then die. Storm raven him in you have to hover it on turn 3 at earliest to make a charge. I wasnt kidding about the no disrespect, please explain what i dont know! I used to take 2 contemptor mortis pattern in my ultramarines until i got tired of them getting stomped before they could do anything. I beg you...teach me lol. I love our psychic options and won a very long bet about us getting our own psychic power set with my friends. Help me realize an effective Librarian Dreadnought!

I'm not getting the Librarian Dreadnought love either. He's far too slow and fragile to do anything apart from one turn out of a pod.

He is actually not that bad in a Raven. As anti air is pretty rare these days. Re-rolls reserve with Raven, fly towards target. Turn 3 disembark activate force/quickening and then assault MC, challenge a Warlord unit or kill a veichle. Can kill most high value targets. I can see him being useful in a lot of lists. 

Yup, he's awesome. 

For the points I don't think there's a better CC monster in our codex. Furioso lib is the new Mephiston.

You'll easily get 5+ WS5 S10 AP2 attacks, striking at least at I5.

All this on a chassis completely immune to anything S6 or below, as well as all the various effects that only works on models with wounds.

If you don't see the value in that then I don't know what to tell you. 

Archived