Losing love for my wolves

xxoblivionxx33

Hey everyone, 

So lately i've been losing a bit of love for my wolves, 

I was in need of some motivation, i don't even have the motivation to paint them. I want a gritty barbaric sinister look to them, but i can't come up with one, i did 2 in a dark grey scheme, and i liked it, but it didn't do anything for me after i did the 2 models. 

i also feel complacent in how the only way to have a list that can win goes, TWC spam, while fun to face roll people, its such a one trick pony its painful .

Could anyone maybe drop some colour schemes that match what I'm going for and any advice on lists that are still competitive but have some more diversity?

As far as lists go I enjoy drop podding grey hunter spam. I miss the mixed wolfguard squads, but there are lots of options. Only recently have I used TWC, but their awesomeness makes it easy to see why people spam them. I love jump troops with a wolf priest. It sounds like you need to just get some good games in to get reenergized.

yea i didn't like how it turned out looking though, i don't mind the power armour, more so figuring out a scheme in that regard. 

as for other lists, i tried drop pods, i didn't mind it, but i didn't like the lack of mobility after the drop. i only used 3 though so turn 2 everything was out on the table . 

Unless your area is a WAAC kind of place, try building a completely balanced army with no more than 1 TWC squad, if any. I don't play wolves but as a guy with plenty of other armies, try the variety if the gaming is boring. As for gritty, maybe look at some Death Guard threads (pre-heresy) or WWI infantry/armor modeling sites. Maybe there will be a combination of techniques and colors that give you what you're looking for.

*flees from the SW forum ph34r.png*

I've lost and found motivation plenty of times throughout the years. Like others have suggested, try something new. Flyers, Dreads, TDA, rp's, lone wolves, WG Bikers, rhino rush, etc. As far as painting, its easy to feel good about what you have accomplished and then come on here and see Tommie Soule or bevulf post something so beyond your own ability you get frustrated, so don't let that bother you (it happens to all of us but them and those like 'em).

If you are going for "gritty barbaric" I saw a guy on youtube that used liquid greenstuff for good grit effect.

Hey everyone,

So lately i've been losing a bit of love for my wolves,

I was in need of some motivation, i don't even have the motivation to paint them. I want a gritty barbaric sinister look to them, but i can't come up with one, i did 2 in a dark grey scheme, and i liked it, but it didn't do anything for me after i did the 2 models.

i also feel complacent in how the only way to have a list that can win goes, TWC spam, while fun to face roll people, its such a one trick pony its painful .

Could anyone maybe drop some colour schemes that match what I'm going for and any advice on lists that are still competitive but have some more diversity?

Heh, I understand your problem better than you might think. There is a reason why I have tried pretty much every army out there, but it always drew me back to SW.

My advice is to let it be for now. Store your Wolves away and do something else. Borrow a completely different army, may play a bit of Fantasy or stop rolling dice at all.

You will eventually find your way back. Took me a long while before I realized how I wanted my Wolves to look.

What you should not do is trying to complete them now. Nothing good will come out of it. Find your inspiration first.

As for diversity and competitiveness. I use Beastmen and WoC bits for my Wolves and spice my list up with SM allies and Forgeworld. But even with pure Wolves you have enough good builds.

My unit sizes never go beyong 5-6 dudes, giving me more time for each individual model. I also like to make my Pack Leaders and bit different and I add different poses and banners to units. The Long Fang leaders are usually in TDA.

Play them as Sentinels of Terra or Ultra. It gives them awesome rules and new tacrics but you get to keep the colour scheme. And yeah TWC spam is so lame. People play TWC accompanied by some marines these days instead of SW. Shame....

I'v been in to my wolves for over 15 years, just take a break and read books about the wolves, or do different stuff, dont play to win, play to have fun, If you know an army is going to beat you before the game starts, set a different goal, make his HQ your target and think of it as a strike to take out command to win a war, not the battle

I like the look of a force that looks like its going through the wars. Cracked and damaged armour and if you patch up parts of the armour with straps and make shift armour.

I feel this might be a step in the right direction, you can chuck some leather colours in there and some non SW colours like 13th company.

If you dont have motivation dont force it. Its the worse thing you can do to yourself.

Make a Break .

My personal opinion 80% of a hobby should be "want to", 15% "have to" and 5% "must do".

While your personal drive should be the nr 1 priority but setting a goal can be a great motivator.

Gotta echo most of the others here. It's called a hobby for a reason. I've got a 3rd party Ragnar model I got last year & finally got around to painting it the last month or so. And I'm happy with it. The point is, if I had pushed it & painted him right away, I would have been unhappy with the paint job. Seeing as I painted him when I wanted to paint him & had a years procrastination to settle on a a scheme, I'm MUCH happier with the model then if I had just rushed into painting him. Take a break. It'll come to you. Life's to short to be frustrated. My 2 cents anyways.

Wow this blew up, thanks for all of the insight everyone, that silver scheme looked really nice, I'm going to do some test models. 

Im still working on my knight, i was thinking of maybe running a list of grey hunters in plasma backs and a detachment of knights to mix it up, i wonder if that will get me all excited, buying a knight once this ones finished and then juts 1 more. 

Wow this blew up, thanks for all of the insight everyone, that silver scheme looked really nice, I'm going to do some test models. 

Im still working on my knight, i was thinking of maybe running a list of grey hunters in plasma backs and a detachment of knights to mix it up, i wonder if that will get me all excited, buying a knight once this ones finished and then juts 1 more.

In the event that you go the other direction and start a new faction though: DONT get rid of your current SW (unless real life dictates). Because more than likely you'll come back to them.

I have the same issue. I started playing again at the end of last year after a long time away. I played a some games with my wolves and it did not go well for me. I was getting frustrated with always getting beaten. So I did what many people have suggested, I boxed my wolves back up and chose another faction. I went with Thousand Sons mainly because they play compleatly differently to wolves. My core list is Ahriman and a unit of Thousand Sons in a Rhino, a second sorcerer and a big unit of cultists (as spire guard). Since the new SW dex dropped I am still struggling to find a good comepetative list with out TWC, so when I get annoyed at my wolves I just play my Thousand Sons for a bit.

I am currently considering either some TWC (I know I know, I'm a hypocrite having spent ages saying how much I don't want any but I really like winning!) or starting a Craftworld Eldar army with loads of jet bikes.

I had the same issue you had except with my blood angels back in 6th edition. I took a long break from 40k and then I started black templars when the new space marine codex came out. The diffrent playstyle was very fun and now I'm going back to my blood angels after a long while. Whenever I get bored of my templars or blood angels I take a break and then I'll end up watching a historical movie or something with knights and then I'll be drawn in.

Archived