Your Hobby Area

Bloodrazor

Hi All,

New to these forums and thought I'd get a few posts on the go (Fingers in many pies and such)

Just starting a Blood Angels Army and a thought has crossed my mind as to where I am actually going to prepare, build and paint my miniatures. I have a limit amount of space to do this task, mainly a computer desk with keyboard mouse etc on it. I'm sure this is the same for many of you.

Would it be worth investing in one of those Games Workshop Project stations where you can store all your on going painting projects and paints?

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Project-Box

I was also looking into what sort of Palette's everyone used as I have to admit it's something I've never thought about before. I'm thinking of making my own using a piece of plate glass roughly 15x15 cm with black tape around the edges to prevent me from cutting myself.

I've also being reading up on various posts about brushes and what people prefer, a lot of people are recommending Kolinsky Sable brushes but these seem pretty pricy, I am a man that believes you get what you pay for though and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these particular brushes?

Cheers 

I won't be much help with the brushes and palette. I've only used either GW or Army Painter brushes and for a palette I've used a Tupperware top. Planning on getting something else for a palette.

I am planning on getting the Project Box sometime. I like the idea of having all my stuff in one box and a tray to hold my GW paints in order.

Pallet wise use a plastic item. I used to use a tile before realising my brushes were wearing away quicker than they should do. I now use a plastic paint pallet with little dimples in so the paint stays in one place rather than spreading all over the place.

If you're looking to save a bit of money you can piece together some good storage from lots of places. Multi-compartment trays and containers (some even stack) abound in all shapes and sizes at large department stores and discount (dollar) shops. Consider a low cost cutlery tray (or several) for tools and paint brushes; many of them also come with a top sliding tray that can increase the storage/utility.

As for a pallet, I strongly advise you take the time to source a large flat container with a lid; this can be purposely bought because you find the perfect shape/size, or re-purposed from any number of packages. Use this container to make a wet pallet; add a cloth pad or sponge to the bottom of the container, saturate it with water until its very wet, and lay a piece of Parchment Paper (found in the Grocery Store, in the baking section by the Wax Paper and Cling Wrap) on the wet pad. The moisture of the pad under the Parchment Paper will keep your paint liquid on the pallet much longer, and with the lid on it will not dry out for days. It will make painting more enjoyable and save you a ton of lost paint that would otherwise dry on the pallet. it packs up and stacks with other storage too, so it's nicely portable as well.

If you're looking to save a bit of money you can piece together some good storage from lots of places. Multi-compartment trays and containers (some even stack) abound in all shapes and sizes at large department stores and discount (dollar) shops. Consider a low cost cutlery tray (or several) for tools and paint brushes; many of them also come with a top sliding tray that can increase the storage/utility.

As for a pallet, I strongly advise you take the time to source a large flat container with a lid; this can be purposely bought because you find the perfect shape/size, or re-purposed from any number of packages. Use this container to make a wet pallet; add a cloth pad or sponge to the bottom of the container, saturate it with water until its very wet, and lay a piece of Parchment Paper (found in the Grocery Store, in the baking section by the Wax Paper and Cling Wrap) on the wet pad. The moisture of the pad under the Parchment Paper will keep your paint liquid on the pallet much longer, and with the lid on it will not dry out for days. It will make painting more enjoyable and save you a ton of lost paint that would otherwise dry on the pallet. it packs up and stacks with other storage too, so it's nicely portable as well.

Yeah, a lot of people recommend making your own wet palette. Will hit up some tutorials and see what's best to do.

I recommend a tackle box for your project area, segregated tool box would work as well.  Mine has three levels of fold out trays that slip to the sides for a total of six shelves that each break down into smaller compartments with a large open area underneath.  All my bits, clippers, pin vises, paint brushes, sculpting tools, what have you are all in their nice neat areas.  The bottom area holds my vises, and a couple of plastic screw organizers, which separate my magnets, vehicle bits, and shoulder pads, and another two small boxes that hold other stuff that does not fit else where.  Took me a while to sort things out, but when I am kit bashing it is a breeze now.  Plus, its nice and portable when friends want to do bits trades, or need help with something.

Archived