Vindicare assassin and Turbo Pen on unit

traxter

SO...arguing with Brother...he says the turbo pen on a unit of marines can kill 3 marines....i said no it can possibly kill a model and cause d3 wounds to that model. My reasoning it similar to a D weapon...which says model....

He is saying if you hits 3 on a d3 he can cause d3 wounds to the unit. 

What do you guys think?

Being as rilfe is heavy 1 with no template i think RAI is single model wounding from one assassin

It is exceptionally badly worded.

My take is that the RAI is that the shot rolls to hit and wound as normal, that wound is allocated then (if unsaved) is multiplied to D3 wounds that are applied to the model that was assigned the wound (and failed it's save, if applicable).

However, it is worded "...shots from a turbo-penetrator round inflict D3 wounds, rather than just 1."

Which could be interpreted to mean that the multiplication applies before wound allocation (but after rolling to wound).  Meaning 1 wound becomes D3, which are then allocated and saves are taken (if applicable).  I disagree with this interpretation, however the rule is so unclear that it's difficult to argue either case with supported RAW.

I'd say that because it says "shots from a turbo-penetrator round inflict D3 Wounds, rather than just 1" and it's a "Heavy 1" weapon, it's a single HIT shot, allocated therefore against a single model. If it's a vehicle, it's a S10 shot, if else, then d3 Wounds instead of one, the Heavy 1 resulting Wound. Single hit, single To Hit test, then if successful d3 Wounds, so 1-3 tests of To Wound.

These do not spill over to other models, because there are no additional hits and Wounds do not spill over unlike in Close Combat.

This goes back to the basic rules for shooting.

1. Nominate a Unit to Shoot.  Vindicare Assassin, check.
  2. Choose a target.  Some unit with multiple single wound models, check.
  3. Select a weapon.  Exitus rifle with Turbo-perpetrator rounds, check.
  4. Roll to hit.  Turbo-Penetrator rounds only trigger their rule if they inflict a Wound, so roll for a single To Hit.
  5. Roll to Wound.  Turbo-Penetrator rounds only trigger their rule if they inflict a Wound, they won't inflict a wound until you successfully roll against the target units majority toughness.  Therefore, roll a single To Wound roll.  If you fail, 0 wounds are inflicted, if you pass, d3 wounds are inflicted (instead of 1).
  6. Allocate wounds.  There are now d3 wounds to allocate, starting with the closets model to the firing unit (exception: Precision Shots).  The model allocated to can now attempt saves or Look Out, Sir!.  If The model survives, allocate another wound to it.  If it dies, allocate the next wound to another model.  Continue until all wounds are resolved.
  7. Select Another Weapon.

Following the normal rules for shooting, allowing for Turbo-Penetrators and Vindicare Assassins special rules when they are applicable dictates: 1 To Hit, 1 To Wound, add d3 Wounds to the Wound pool, resolve as normal.  The normal rules for shooting allow for 'spill over' as the basic way to handle multiple wounds in the wound pool.  The Turbo-Perpetrator round does not exempt itself from standard wound allocation,  merely modifies standard wound generation.

I don't feel like looking up the old discussion. But the wording is that you instead reduce the wound by D3. So where dose that "instead" happen?

Go back up to the very basic rules on how a model takes a wound. Aee where it says to reduce "Wounds" by 1? Instead, reduce that by D3.

The new Vindicare doesn't reduce wounds;

Against all other targets, shots from a turbo-penetrator round inflict D3 Wounds, rather than just 1.

The rule the Turbo Penetrator modifiers is actually the "Roll To Wound" section of page 34.

Success here doesn't convert 1 Hit into 1 Wound.  But rather converts 1 Hit into d3 Wounds.

From there, you allocate the Wounds as usual.

Archived