Command Squad (Dante Delivery Unit)

3 x Veterans with Storm Shield and Meltaguns

1x noviate

1x Champion

Mephiston

LVL 2 Librarian

Gallians Staff

Jump pack

10 man Tactical in pod ( Can combat after delivery for multi rolls)

Heavy flamer

Meltagun

Sergeant has 2 x infernus

5 man Tactical in Rhino (Rear objective holder)

Missile with flak

2 x Furioso in pod

Frag cannon + melta with Magna Grapples

2 x 5 man assault squads in pods

2 melta and 2 infernus pistol each

1 x Sicaran Battle Tank with Lascannons (Thanks for drawing my attention to this awsome Tank Morticon!)

I am going to have to build/paint this force almost from scratch as I either don't have the models or am not satisfied with them. So any thoughts on the list would be appreciated!

It is melta heavy, but my meta has a lot of mech in it. I also need to be able to place a melta squad on both sides of naty things like Imperial Knights to avoid there sheilds!

I was going to put Mephy with an assault squad, but I could also sub one assault squad out for a DC unit to go with him

Can't comment on the rest of the list but have you thought about scout squads instead of the rhino tactical squad? Cheaper and if you give them camo cloaks they become more resilient as well.

It's a good idea and I have thought about trying scouts.... But I really hate the models! So much more kitbashing potential with normal marine parts!

I'd replace the infernus pistols with combi melta, will save you 60 points and give you the same melta range all on 3.

This does free up a lot of points, what do you think I should spend them on though ?

First question: is this a Baal Strike Force list or a Combined Arms Detachment list?

This would be a Baal Strike Force, although it may work just as well with a normal Combined arms squad. Dante is the only Assaulty model and he already has high Iniative!

I'd replace the infernus pistols with combi melta, will save you 60 points and give you the same melta range all on 3.

It does save points but it costs you shots. You get 3 shots on the first turn instead of 4 and then only 2 on subsequent turns. Even with melta guns, you only have a 1/3 chance of actually killing a tank with a penetrating hit so you need to consider that you may have to hull-point a tank to death.

3 shots will give 2 hits on average and to my mind is just not enough to reliably kill a tank. The assault squads are only 5 guys but with dangerous weaponry. A smart opponent will not let them live long so you need to make your initial volley count.

If you do go combi-melta rather than dual-infernus then I would at least give the serg melta bombs so that the diminished firepower is compensated for slightly by a more dangerous change in future turns (if they live that long).

1850 points

Commander Dante

Is Dante really bringing a lot to your list? Beyond being a beatstick, not much. Maybe think about dropping him entirely, or substantially rework the rest of your list to make him more worthwhile.

Command Squad (Dante Delivery Unit)

3 x Veterans with Storm Shield and Meltaguns

1x noviate

1x Champion

Good little unit on its own msn-wink.gif

Mephiston

Not a fan of Mephi anymore. Would drop.

LVL 2 Librarian

Gallians Staff

Jump pack

Solid, but would add an Auspex and the Veritas Vitae and the Angel's Wing if you drop Dante.

10 man Tactical in pod ( Can combat after delivery for multi rolls)

Heavy flamer

Meltagun

Sergeant has 2 x infernus

Solid. The second infernus on the sarge could be dropped if you need the points, though it for use helps make sure tanks are dead dead.

5 man Tactical in Rhino (Rear objective holder)

Missile with flak

Would drop. The Sicaran can do the backfield babysitter job just as well in most cases. Replace with a cheapo 5-man CC Scout squad.

2 x Furioso in pod

Frag cannon + melta with Magna Grapples

Solid!

2 x 5 man assault squads in pods

2 melta and 2 infernus pistol each

I'm not crazy about those, personaly. The amount of tanks that necessitate so much melta are fairly few and far between. Would invest in grav/MM bike squad instead.

1 x Sicaran Battle Tank with Lascannons (Thanks for drawing my attention to this awsome Tank Morticon!)

Solid.

Comments in red. This is assuming you are going with the BSF. A CAD would need more Troops to make it worthwhile.

It does save points but it costs you shots. You get 3 shots on the first turn instead of 4 and then only 2 on subsequent turns. Even with melta guns, you only have a 1/3 chance of actually killing a tank with a penetrating hit so you need to consider that you may have to hull-point a tank to death.

3 shots will give 2 hits on average and to my mind is just not enough to reliably kill a tank. The assault squads are only 5 guys but with dangerous weaponry. A smart opponent will not let them live long so you need to make your initial volley count.

If you do go combi-melta rather than dual-infernus then I would at least give the serg melta bombs so that the diminished firepower is compensated for slightly by a more dangerous change in future turns (if they live that long).

If your dealing with knights or other non rear av 10 veichles getting in to 3" melta range is not that reliable. I like the flexibility and value of 3 normal melta shots at a lower price. 

Can't comment on the rest of the list but have you thought about scout squads instead of the rhino tactical squad? Cheaper and if you give them camo cloaks they become more resilient as well.

It's a good idea and I have thought about trying scouts.... But I really hate the models! So much more kitbashing potential with normal marine parts!

This does free up a lot of points, what do you think I should spend them on though ?

If you want the same amount of anti-tank a multi-melta attack bike or a deepstriking 2x mm land speeder (they only scatter d6). Or perhaps finding a way to get 3 asault triple melta pods into the list. 

I want to preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of the Sicaran. However, you might want to overthink that choice. A single tank, no matter how good, will get blown up. It will become a huge magnet for every AT gun on your table and the neighbouring one.

If you want infantry, go full on infantry.

I want to preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of the Sicaran. However, you might want to overthink that choice. A single tank, no matter how good, will get blown up. It will become a huge magnet for every AT gun on your table and the neighbouring one.

If you want infantry, go full on infantry.

Furioso dreads in your face turn 1 will hopefully prevent that, but I get your point

That's why it needs a DB - you'll want it out of LOS on turn 1 or at least obscured in ruins. Having just one is an advantage in this sense as you don't have vehicles grouping and competing for cover.

Fragioso was my fave unit in 6th ed, but nerf to magna grapple means its AT firepower is knocked by about 50%.

Archived