Angels Tempestus

Sun Reaver

I came up with two schemes for the Chapter. It is heavily inspired by the Celestial Lions as I am a huge fan of their colors. 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=DEC02C&bpj=DEC02C&bp=DEC02C&bpc=DEC02C&hdt=E81A2B&hdm=E81A2B&hdl=E81A2B&ey=47DE2C&er=DEC02C&pi=5C5252&nk=DEC02C&ch=DEC02C&eg=363532&sk=363532&abs=DEC02C&bt=DEC02C&cod=DEC02C&ull=DEC02C&lk=DEC02C&lll=DEC02C&lft=DEC02C&url=DEC02C&rk=DEC02C&lrl=DEC02C&rft=DEC02C&slt=E81A2B&sli=E81A2B&srt=E81A2B&sri=E81A2B&ula=DEC02C&lel=DEC02C&lla=DEC02C&lw=DEC02C&lh=DEC02C&ura=DEC02C&rel=DEC02C&rla=DEC02C&rw=DEC02C&rh=DEC02C&bg=FFFFFF&rb=5C5252&gr=5C5252&wg=true&aq=true&pws=true&/spacemarine.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=DEC02C&bpj=DEC02C&bp=DEC02C&bpc=DEC02C&hdt=E81A2B&hdm=E81A2B&hdl=E81A2B&ey=47DE2C&er=DEC02C&pi=5C5252&nk=DEC02C&ch=DEC02C&eg=363532&sk=363532&abs=DEC02C&bt=DEC02C&cod=DEC02C&ull=DEC02C&lk=DEC02C&lll=DEC02C&lft=DEC02C&url=DEC02C&rk=DEC02C&lrl=DEC02C&rft=DEC02C&slt=DEC02C&sli=E81A2B&srt=DEC02C&sri=E81A2B&ula=DEC02C&lel=DEC02C&lla=DEC02C&lw=DEC02C&lh=DEC02C&ura=DEC02C&rel=DEC02C&rla=DEC02C&rw=DEC02C&rh=DEC02C&bg=FFFFFF&rb=5C5252&gr=5C5252&wg=true&aq=true&pws=true&/spacemarine.jpg

As far as the Chapter name, I didn't even think of using my username lol. I really like the sound of the Sun Reavers or even perhaps the Blood Reavers. It's a harsher name but it could be a foil to how the chapter wishes to present itself and how they behave in battle. 

Tian Shan - I really like this idea. Perhaps a member of the 'untouchables' class could join the chapter and one day become Chapter Master. This could lead to a tempering of views.  I would love to include this idea! 

Conn Eromon - I agree on your suggestion about the 5 K's. I don't want to step on any toes and mentioning it passing gets the job done just as well. 

- Nagar is an excellent suggestion! In Hindi it means city as well. Consider it used! 

- I will have to look into the Salamander's books more. If they are good reads, I might just pick them up. 

-I want the caste views to enter the chapter. Perhaps be a source of minor contention. Kind of like the 'elephant in the room' type scenario. Upon entering the chapter, the marine joins the 'highest caste' but the culture ingrained in the natives could be taken with them into the chapter and influence their views on another brother. I don't think the would be outright hostile but perhaps think of others beneath them. This could be eradicated if the Chapter Master came from the lowest caste as Tian Shan recommended.

As a side note, thank you guys for putting in the time to respond to this. It really keeps me going and inspires me to finish this thing! I started the Homeworld section but haven't gotten into the meat of things as yet. But don't worry Olis, I will! :wink:

Carmine Lords gets my vote, the two you just mentioned sound too much like the Blood Elves in World of Warcraft!

I usually don't go for half and half's myself, but the red and white works for me as it's slightly unusual for a BA successor, though gold and red works too for a more obvious link.

Carmine Lords gets my vote, the two you just mentioned sound too much like the Blood Elves in World of Warcraft!

I usually don't go for half and half's myself, but the red and white works for me as it's slightly unusual for a BA successor, though gold and red works too for a more obvious link.

I honestly didn't even make that correlation but now that you point it out, it does sound very familiar. Darn! Haha 

I'm glad you like the gold! Carmine Lords does have a nice ring to it, I am just hesitant as the Carmine Blades just came out. 

Blood Reavers is also perhaps a little close to Blood Ravens.

If you were still interested in the Angels X angle for a chapter name... what about Angels Bellicose?

Personally I liked the silver and red schemes, its your chapter.

Lords Carmine might work. BA successors often have their names back-to-front.

The Black Rage is what shapes and defines the BA, so while it doesn't have to shape and define your IA it is obviously going to have a huge impact on your chapter.  Thinking through the cultural practices and how those would impact their views on the Black Rage etc. would be a very good idea. 

Glad you liked the home world name suggestion. As for the Salamanders books, your mileage may vary. My own take was a resounding 'meh,' though it wasn't without merit. The first book, at least, does include a lot of tension between the protagonist and an antagonistic rival that stems from the protagonist's place of birth, so it could provide good source material in making your caste system work.

The Lords Carmine gets my vote, if 'carmine' is a requirement. I really do think the Angels X/Lords X naming convention would work best for your Chapter, whichever you decide.

I'm more fond of the golden trim than a pad entirely in red, though for what it's worth I rather feel that's a lot of gold. But, if you're going for the metallic Celestial Lions scheme, than the metallic gold & red could work. Looking it up, the White Minotaurs rock those colors pretty good, so the Lords/Angels/Carmines/whatever should look good in it too.

For what it's worth, I think an inverted scheme would look better, like so:

http://bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?bpe=d03437&bpj=d03437&bp=d03437&bpc=d03437&hdt=facb63&hdm=facb63&hdl=facb63&ey=32bd08&er=d03437&pip=423b35&nk=d03437&ch=d03437&eg=facb63&sk=ffecc1&abs=d03437&bt=d03437&cod=d03437&ull=d03437&lk=d03437&lll=d03437&lft=d03437&url=d03437&rk=d03437&lrl=d03437&rft=d03437&slt=facb63&sli=facb63&srt=facb63&sri=facb63&ula=d03437&lel=d03437&lla=d03437&lw=d03437&lh=d03437&ura=d03437&rel=d03437&rla=d03437&rw=d03437&rh=d03437&gr=423b35&rb=423b35&nkl=d03437&chestl=d03437&abdl=d03437&hdtl=facb63&hdml=facb63&hdll=facb63&btl=d03437&codl=d03437&erl=d03437&bpl=d03437&bpjl=d03437&bpel=d03437&bpcl=d03437&abdc=423b35&bg=ffffff&

Interestingly, while I was looking at Lexicanum's pictorial list of Chapters, I found a whopping seven Chapters rocking the full red w/ gold trim. That wasn't including the many Warbands, or other Chapters with solid red that would have at least one Company with gold trim if they follow Codex guidelines on that matter. Space Marines really do love their blood and bling.

• 2 years later...

Brothers, it has been quite some time since I have updated my successor chapter. I have attempted to polish the chapter further and have updated whatever I have done previously. I would like your thoughts as I continue to update the chapter. Thank you! 

The Angels Excelsior

Since their inception as part of the twelfth founding of the Adeptus Astartes, the Angels Excelsior have been lauded as a fierce and proud chapter. The edict of the High Lords of Terra decreed that this fledgling chapter was to reinforce the Imperial presence and borders in the Segmentum Pacificus, more specifically, along the area known as the Veiled Region. Home to a host of Xenos lifeforms, this stellar and unmapped zone is the home of condensed nebula and newly forming stars. As a result, the entire region is enveloped in a stellar and dust substance. Descending from the gene-line of Sanguinius, the first Chapter Master of the Chapter was Anwariel, Veteran Sergeant of the Blood Angels 2nd Company. According to ancient records, Anwariel was known as a shrewd and calculating veteran who was held in high regard by his chapter and company alike. An ambitious individual, the Veteran-Sergeant had risen through the ranks quickly and was next in line for captaincy. Some even whispered that he would one day take the post of Chapter Master. When command of the newly formed chapter was given to Anwariel, he had accepted only begrudgingly as although the Blood Angel viewed this as a supreme honor, he was loathe to leave his chapter, his home, that he held so dead.

With blessings from his Chapter Master and in the company of his handpicked retinue, Anwariel set out towards the Veiled Region and whatever mysteries awaited his nascent chapter.

First Conflict

Upon translating into the south-eastern corner of the Veiled Region, the newly-formed chapter stumbled upon a full scale Ork invasion upon the Anjali System. Eager to test his warriors in battle, Anwariel saw this opportunity as a blessing and vowed to bring the wrath of the Imperium onto the wretched Xenos. Initial actions saw the Astartes meet repeated success with swift void strikes and boarding actions. However, after 3 standard Terran months of warfare, there was little sign of the aliens numbers dwindling. Anwariel realized that to end the campaign decisively, he needed to lure the enemy warlord to him.

In his command strategium, the chapters officers debated on where to make their stand. After initial planetary scans had arrived, the chapter command was awed to find a grand statue of Sanguinius on the death world of Nagar, the 5th planet in the system. Recognizing it for the sign that it was, Anwariel immediately committed the bulk of his forces to the jungle surface of this auspicious planet. There, the chapter sent out a broadcast challenging the Warboss to the planet. The Chapter Masters plan was simple, draw the enemy to his forces and slay the Ork warlord in open combat for Glory of Sanguinius.

And draw him he did. Hulks rained upon the surface of Nagar with hordes of Orks bellowing praises to their heathen gods. The chapter held firm though, meeting the overwhelming assault with finely wrought blades and precise bolter fire. Though the chapter was severely outnumbered, the marines performed beyond expectation, eager to bring glory to their chapter in their inaugural campaign.

Unexpected aid came in the form of the local populace. Armed with rudimentary weapons, the people of Nagar fought with zeal in defense of their home. It was as if the entire world rose against the green-skins. Poisonous flora assaulted whole parties of Orks while packs of feline predators ripped them to shreds in the dense jungle.

At the height of the battle, Anwariel encountered the Warboss in single combat. At the base of the of the great tribute to Sanguinius, man met beast in savage fury. Though many Sons of Sanguinius fell that day, and Anwariel himself bloodied, the chapter master defeated the enemy general, impaling his bulk onto his spear and hoisting his prone form into the air. Orks fled and Orks died.  Proud of his chapter and impressed by the local populace, Anwariel smiled. His chapter had been victorious in their inaugural engagement and, they had found themselves a home world.

Homeworld

The planet of Nagar is an ocean world primarily composed of 3 large land masses with smaller islands dotting the southernmost continent. Littered with thick jungles, the planet is similar to the Indus regions of old. Poisonous flora and vicious fauna inhabit the terrain with a singular focus to kill. The planet was a death-world in every sense of the word yet somehow, pockets of mankind eked out an existence.

The people of Nagar made their homes in forts of stone and wood. A hardy people, they had managed to not only live off the harsh land, but thrive on it. Unusually, the populace does not lament at their hardships for they believe that one day Sanguinius, their patron, and his sons will usher them into an age of peace and prosperity. Until that fated day, the populace continue to live and die in his name.

The human settlements are led by their guru caste spiritual leaders who preach the blessings of Sanguinius and ensure that life is lived as he did. A warrior people, every first born son is trained in the Nagaran way of war and enter the Veera the warrior caste. These are the soldiers of the community, defending their homes from the vicious predators and from other settlements. Those who are not firstborn, or choose not to join the ranks of the vaunted Veera, live as hunter and farmer caste. On rare occasions, if a member dishonors the teachings of Sanguinius or their settlement, they are ostracized, forced to live on the outskirts of the community as Untouchables, the lowest caste. 

Hi Sun Reaver, 

I read on the first page that you were looking to incorporate Indian influences into your Chapter. My first question before you develop your ideas is - why? What aspects do you want to include? If you can produce that as a bullet-pointed list, these are then your touchstones you can refer back to when you create your Chapter. At any point you can go back to them and see if you're achieving what you want to. 

Regarding the fluff as you presented it: 

I don't think it's unfeasible that the High Lords of Terra would want to try to bring order to the Veiled Region (or at the very least try to contain them and secure the Imperial rimworlds) - although there is other fluff up to M41 showing how it is still a wild and uncontained area in which human settlement is only a rumour. As such, my thoughts would be to suggest to you that you take a remote world on the edges of Imperial space. (Do consider Imperialist/Colonialist narratives in suggesting societies as 'savage' or 'primitive', though.) 

Although I think at times that DIY creators focus too much on their original Chapter Masters to the detriment of the Chapter as a whole, I am dubious as to a Veteran Sergeant being made a Chapter Master. Even if a Sergeant has served in the first Company, they are still lacking a large understanding of the reality of how the Astartes fight. They're also likely missing some of the diplomatic nous needed to work alongside other Imperial institutions such as the Adeptus Mechanicus. 

I'm very dubious regarding the statue of Sanguinius - I think it's a little cliché - if you wanted to go down the route of this, perhaps the Chapter's Librarians lead them to this planet. They feel an unmistakable affinity towards it, and later after defeating the Orks they discover the statue buried (it is a jungle world, after all.) Perhaps this statue is then excavated and moved to the Chapter's new fortress monastery? 

I think also that this seems a little 'small' - in the sense that the Chapter is created, it transports to this region, and the first system and the first planet they land on is the planet that will sustain them for the next five or six thousand years. Perhaps it would be better to see the Chapter fighting to contain a larger Ork Waaagh across multiple systems before finally destroying them on this world? Perhaps being able to show your Chapter frustrating the Ork warboss, destroying his suply chains and being able to force him to commit his forces? 

I think Nagar is presented in a way that's not massively consistent. You describe it as having 'dense jungle' (but India is only 21% forest) - and then as an ocean world? Perhaps you need to consider what aspects you want your homeworld to have. I'm curious as to why this world on the very edge of the galaxy has this absolute devotion to Sanguinius, and how by the time of the 12th Founding this hasn't diverged or moved or altered at all. Why, also, the Caste system?

Commisar Molotov, it is always a pleasure to see you here. :smile.:

The reason I want to integrate Indian influences into my chapter primarily is because I have always been fascinated with the culture, people, food, and religious diversity.  I have even visited India and was amazed by its history and how it affects their day to day lives. Secondly, I haven't seen an official chapter that uses strong Indian influences at all. As a person, I like to be unique and go against the grain so this is perhaps further justifies the why. 

Aspects of Indian Culture I am drawn to: 

- The caste system, more specifically how your social status directly determined what your duties and your responsibilities are. It is oddly similar to feudal societies if you at the comparison between knights and peasants. This can create a dynamic, at least initially in the scout company, in which certain members from higher castes may look down upon other brothers whereas others can look at some brothers with reverence. Some full fledged battle brothers may be prophesied for greatness. 

-The warrior like culture of ancient Sikh Empire (The Sikh Khalsa-Raj). There is a quote that states, 'After the primal manifestation of the sword, the universe was created.' I find that very fascinating and believe it translate well into a space marine chapter. Perhaps the chapter could hold the Emperor's or Sanguinius' swords in high regard. This could create an interesting dynamic with how RG wields the Emperor's blade currently. 

-Smaller nuances such as the 5 K's of Sikhism and the fact that even Hindu families raised their first-born son as a 'Singh' (means Lion) and enlist them in the army is quite interesting. These guys were bred to be warriors and I think they'd make perfect space marines. 

-Religion. India is a land steeped in mysticism and religious diversity. I wanted prayer to be a way in which the marines overcome their doubts and affirm there dedication to the Emperor. Question is, who are they praying to? Do some marines worship the Emperor? Do some worship Sanguinius? Do others reinforce the Imperial Truth? 

I wanted prayer to be a way in which they can overcome/hold off the Black Rage. I wanted it to eventually fail as the ranks of the Death Company swelled over time. I also want it to lead to a schism within the chapter as it could lead to an internal civil conflict. The religion/prayer isn't working or maybe they aren't being religious enough? 

So I went for the Veiled Region because, I wanted to go against the grain. Many chapters here and in the official fluff are shoring up against The Eye of Terror (which still exists at the point of creation for the chapter) and eventually against the Tau and the Tyranids. I like the idea of a chapter operating on the fringes of Imperial Space. So far removed from the wider Imperium, yet still an important, small piece. I wasn't aware that the region was uninhabited and so I agree that the chapter should be stationed just outside the Veiled Region itself. Further research has indicated that the Colonialist angle might provide a stronger narrative so I think you are correct here again. 

Yes, the Veteran Sergeant was a stab in the dark at something different. My initial posts indeed had Anwariel as a Captain but I felt it was too cliche. Again though, it is a stronger narrative to have him as one. 

So the statue of Sanguinius exists as I wanted to immediately start alluding to Anwariel being superstitious/border-line religious. However, I also think that accidentally finding something of him is just as cliche. I didn't want the statue to be huge, perhaps marine size, or even smaller. Maybe the populace can show it to Anwariel after the battle is one? This could explain why they rushed to his aid despite the apparent losses they would take? 

'Small' is fair. I had the same line of thought but didn't want the 'battle' to take up a major portion of the article. I wanted to focus deeply on the meat of the matter which was the potential religious significance and potential schism. I always refer back to your Castigators and you are able to be brief yet detailed. I will admit, this is the part I am struggling with the most. 

You are absolutely correct. I was being greedy with the terrain. India is majorly plains with mountains, deserts, and jungles sporadically mixed in. I want to phrase it in a manner which is similar to Fenris. The overlying theme is that the planet is cold - but they have all the other stuff. Perhaps my planet is just really warm? 

The absolute devotion of Sanguinius comes from the fact that this planet/system is on the fringes of Imperial space. They don't get visitors and they can't get off the planet. Stuck on a death-world, your only hope is to believe in something that will get you by. Religion or admiration for Sanguinius who could they deem as their savior is a powerful tool to help them survive. This hearkens to the religious mysticism of ancient India. The resources of their ships could have gone and technology would eventually stop working. Perhaps the original colonists were a regiment of Imperial Guard who were attached to Sanguinius' expedition in the Great Crusade. Perhaps they revered him dearly and had a statue of him on their ship. As time went on and the people become 'backwards', the population could revere the statue as their god? 

Maybe they believe he saved them and brought order to their world before, he will do it again. Furthermore learning that Sanguinius perished upon entering the chapter makes the loss even stronger. The marines could also ensure the population doesn't know otherwise as a way of maintaining order/tradition on their planet. Kind of how the Space Wolves ensure Fenris stays the way it is. 

Thank you for the feedback Commisar Molotov. I really do appreciate it and the bouncing of ideas. Having you in my corner really gives the confidence to flesh out the Angels Excelsior and finish them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few thoughts:

- perhaps the local populace sees that these Angels descending from the heavens bear a striking similarity to the statue they have in their possession and that is why they rush to the Chapter's aid?

- if you want to go with the caste system, I would suggest finding another name for the Untouchable caste as, for me at least, it breaks the suspension of disbelief (exactly the same name as a current real world group of people).

- I agree with Mol that a Veteran Sergeant would not be a likely candidate to be the Chapter's first leader.

- I like the most recent colour scheme you've posted.

Keep up the good work. :tu:

• 1 year later...

Brothers, work on the chapter continues. Unfortunately, while reading the Devastation of Baal there was a chapter that played a prominent role in the initial stages of the book dubbed the Angels Excelsis. Coincidentally, they had a similar color scheme as my chapter: primarily white and red. The book focused on a particular marine, Captain Erwin, and he exhibited similar traits that I had intended marines of my chapter to portray. Risking a similarity too great, I have decided to go back to the drawing board and perhaps take the chapter in a new direction. I have chosen to begin anew with the home world. As always, comments and critiques are welcome. 

Nagar

Nagar is the homeworld of the _________ located in the northwestern reaches of the Ultima Segmentum. An ocean world, the planet was once highly sought after for its vast jeweled deposits and ore that lay at the bottom of its seas. However, due to a civil war over its resources, nuclear and tectonic weapons caused irreparable damage to the world. Sea levels rose, the flora and fauna were mutated, and massive oceanic storms made mining the planet's resources effectively impossible resulting in the death world seen today. 

The planet's surface is primarily covered by a vast ocean with various island chains dotting the planet. These landmasses are small and largely tropical in nature with only the polar islands exhibiting little life. Due to the planet's two moons, the ocean currents are often in flux resulting in regular, devastating storms that plague the ocean surface. Yet, despite all this adversity, pockets of mankind eke out an existence.

The people of Nagar represent a hardy, sea faring folk who bitterly fight for survival. The populations are largely confined to the island-forts they have created in order to not only protect themselves from the elements, but also from the vicious creatures of the sea as well. As a result, much time is spent in ritualistic worship to the Emperor who is depicted as a fearsome ocean god. When the storms abate and the seas are manageable, bands of humans strike out to fetch valuable resources and food. Naval skirmishes and island invasions are common due to the limited resources and landmass. Raiding and piracy is a celebrated way of life for the people of Nagar. Only the most faithful and cunning survive.  

These human settlements are led by a guru caste - spiritual leaders who preach the power and blessings of their deity. A warrior people, every first born is trained in the Nagaran way of war and enter the Veera, the warrior caste. These are the soldiers of the community, striking out and braving the high seas to form raiding parties. The settlements are also defended by the Veera caste, although these are usually comprised of older, tenured warriors and those too young to depart the islands. Those who are not firstborn, or choose not to join the ranks of the vaunted warrior caste, are trained in the ways of the communal, Desha caste. These builders and foragers form the bulk of most communities. On rare occasions, if a member dishonors the teachings of a settlement, they are ostracized, forced to live on the outskirts of their communities and in some cases, banished from their islands. These individuals form the lowest tier in Nagaran society, the Bandara caste. 

Next, I will be going into the Chapter, their beliefs, and methods of war. 

Hail Brother Sun,

I really like what you've done with your DIY chapter. The Indian theme is rare and wonderful:thumbsup:

The silver and red looks good, but I did prefer the gold and red color scheme you used earlier (I too am a fan of the Celestial Lions)….. just curious why you changed the scheme. Either one is good and you should go with whatever works best for you:yes:

Looking forward to seeing more.

Archived