WIP: Some rough Sketches

Filius

Hi there, I have four Ideas for a DIY-Chapter (Spirit Bears, Ghost Ravens, Pale Wolves and the Shields of Ultramar), which developed from another, and are more or less variation of another. I seek some help on choosing which one to explore deeper. But before getting to the Ideas, I'd first explain my Context and Motivation for DIYing …

I already wrote a Shortstory (sadly only in German) and my main Reason for DIYing is to have some Protagonists of further Stories. But you don't write stuff like that only for yourself. So it's also important to me, that my own Chapter attracts at least some 40k-Fans. And in order to do so, I would like it to fit well into the Universe. So this should be more of a "bread-and-butter" Chapter, than an "experiment".

I'm not a tabletop player (only played a few games in the 90ies), but I collect some minifigs. And I assume, that I'll start painting Minifigs again not so far away too. So I always tend to keept that in mind.

A few things are already "fixed" no matter, which Chapter it'll be in the end: I want them to fight mostly (if not only) Tyrandis, because they are almost the only non-Space-Marine Faction, that I'm really interested in. That leads me to a strong focus on Apothecari and a good connection to the Magis Biologis of the Mechanicum. That again fits very well to my storytelling Approach: I'm a huge fan of the Aubrey and Maturin Series and I'm pretty sure, there'll be a Apothecarius, who is very interested in all kinds of living (and dead) organisms (and in dissecting or vivisecting them).

1. Spirit Bears

I always liked "Clan Ghost Bear" from Battletech and thought of that as a really beautifull Oxymoron (I especially like Oxymorons as a tool of Story-Tellin). While Bears are big predators and make a good totem for a Chapter, the "Ghost"-part always came to me as a contrast, or a contradiction: Bears are the biggest living predators on land, much bigger than humans with a strong physical presence, while ghost … are simply not physically very present. Bears tend to make a gawky impression, while ghost (especially when used in military context) have a aspects of cleverness and hidden tactics. Hiding on the other hand, is not a very bear-like tatic, and especially not the tactic of blonde bear in dark forrest, which leads me to the Namegivers …

When I did some research (googling) on Ghost Bears / Spirit Bears, I stumbled across the real Spirit Bears, a blonde Variation of North American Black Bears living mostly in Canada. A blonde, almost white Bear, within the green almost grimdark rainforests of Canda! What a sight! Check out the Wikipedia Article on them! So … a great inspiration for a chapter, especially as there are no other official bear-themed chapters yet! smile.png

I imagine the Spirit Bears wearing bone-colourd/blonde Armour of course, much like the Deathwing, with some green to represent the deep Forrests of their Homeplanet, and some red to reprensent the spill of blood. Initially I thought of them as a stoic, humble version of the Space Wolves. Guys with wild hair and long beards, speaking not a word too much. Moving quite slow, when not in Battle. They seem to not notice things that happend around them because they don't react instantly. They do notice, but see no reason to react quickly, or want to take their time to think about the reaction carefully. Patience actually is not only a trait of them, but a virtue to them. They aren't easily provoked and they the plan things carefully, sometimes even take the risk to wait too long, because they wanted to avoid rushing headlong into something.

When in Battle on the other Hand they can get into (a mild form of) Rage. I thought, they would prefer close combant and heavy weapons. Close Combat for the ferocious, rage-like part of the bear-nature and heavy weapons because bears are heavy hitters. Somehow I think, it would fit well to them to mostly focus on infantry, because the bear as an animal is all albout being big and strong by itself. The physical strength of the indivium will be a virtue within the Chapter, having (traditional) wrestling matches for training. So they would prefer the battle one-on-one. Plus: A bear on a bike looks stupid.

To further push that, I would make the Bears great builders of mobile fortifications, making effective and quick use of Aegis Defense Lines, and being able to set up a strategium anywhere in on time. Much like the the wodden castellum roman Legions built while on the March.

I think that beeing good defenders would fit to their character. Making fine plans for defenses, letting the enemy attack and having the close combat troops making a charge when necessary. In ancient believes (or at least in Shadowrun) the bear is also a protector and a healer. I think that fits well to the patient part. I would let them take more care of the worlds of the Empire they visit or protect, and be interested in what's happening there.
Also I see them having a good relation to the magis biologis of the mechanikum, gathering Information about Xenos Live forms, especially the Tyranids, which I see as their "preferred" Enemy (mostly because I like the Tyranids myself). I even thought it would be nice to have a part of the Chapter be on a reconnaissance Mission on the Edges of one or more of the big Hive-Fleets, to keep an Eye on the Tyranids, keep learing about the Foe.

I'm currently not sure, what would be the best source of Geneseed for them.
Imperial Fists would fit, because of the Stoic and Silent Characteristcs, together with the Ability on defending.
On the Other Hand the Salamanders do have that humanist, protective Concept. And they are a bit slower, than the other Chapters. And the Promethean Cult, has a bigger Distance from the Ecclesiarchy, which would fit to the Pagan Aspects.
Also making them Sons of the Ultramarines would be kinda fun, like the Morifactors, which strongly admire their Primarach, but are not too welcome by the Ultramarines.

Sooo … the "Spirit" Part of their Name leads them more into being patient, observing and defending, and the bear part brings in strength, ferocity and a pagan flavor.

Plus: I could use a least some of the Space Wolves Minifigs and Conversion Bits.

2. Ghost Raven

A few months ago spoke with some 40k-affine Friends and asked them which of the official Chapters they like best, and funnily, all three of them (yes I only have three friends who also like 40k) answered indepently: Raven Guard. So my thoughts started to move around the Raven Guard, and from the Spirit Bears it's only a small step to the Ghost Ravens:

The name is quite similiar to the Spirit Bears. Again an traditional native american and european Totem, and a again a metaphysical Component. As they already carry the Ghost in their names, I also see bone-coloured Armours for them, as well as a lot of Raven-Skull-Artwork, and Feathers.

They'll problably be a Successor Chapter of the Raven Guard, but moved a bit away from the Codex Astartes. Their main belief is, that they are already dead, dead ravens, ghosts of former ravens. And as ravens, they are clever and like to play and suprise the enemy. So they mostly stand in the Tradition of the Raven Guard, but as they are so close to Death, I would give them some strong spiritual features.

They'll come from a very religious Society, where the ecclesiarchy drifeted towars Schamanism or Paganism, making Priest play an important part in Life and of course within the Chapter, so lots of Chaplains. Their boney Armours would fit good to the overall topic of being dead.

Additionally they have more Psychers than the regular Chapter, for Ghosts can do things that "normal" people can't do, and psychers really are totally about doing things, that normal people can't do. Maybe even knotting a special bond
between Psykers and Chaplains, like they always work as a Team of Two: One for the Guidance and one for the Magic.

As they think of themselves as already dead, I would give them a tendency towards suicide mission, which actually end in suicide. So may every Ghost Raven could be equipped with a Melter Bomb and always looks for a way to bring it somewhere it would cause critical damage, no matter if the marine himself dies or not.

On the other hand, I would love to seem them break off a fight, when another sollution to the problem could be found, like immediately stoping to fire at the enemy and seemingly to disapear in an instant from a firefight because the enemy got lured away from the real taget.

Being led more by beliefs than by tactics, their organisation would be more like the space wolves, giving the single Marine and single Tropps more freedom than Chapters, which follow the Codex. Having more of a wild bunch of warriors (or better schamans) than a company of soldiers.

Outside of the Battlefield, they are a very dynamic, curious chapter. Not so much driven by the thrist for knowledge as the Blood Ravens, but more by a general unrest. Meet exotic foes, learn how to kill them best and take the knowledge back to the chapter to share it with the others.

Their Geneseed would more or less obviously come from the Raven Guard. I espesically like, that the Raven Guard totally don't have any Pagan oder Cultic Background, they are very reasonable, very intellectual. This makes the Ghost Ravens some kind of "lost sons", lost to Shamanism and Tricksterism.

So the Ghost Ravens would be a Chapter of Tricksters, taking tactics of suprise and stealth and giving them a more tribal feeling.

Plus: I could use all the Raven Guard Minifigs and Conversion Bits, plus mostly everything with Wings and Feathers.

3. Pale Wolves

I'm not really sure, why I came up with the Pale Wolves. Maybe it's because the Spirit Bears and Ghost Ravens already are very close to the Space Wolves, and it seemed "more honest" to me, to use the Wolf-Totem.

The Pale Wolves are combination/variation of both. As the Name suggest, they be pale guys, wearing bone-colored Armour and mostly having blond/brown hair. They'd make a good Mix of Bears and Ravens: Being silent and stoic as opposed to the loud and headrushing Space Wolves. I would rather see them as coursing hunters, tracking down their pray, which would again fit nice to the Idea of constantly following the Tyranid Hive-Fleets. I would also keep a bit the Trickster-Shaman-Aspect of the Ghost Ravens, with the Psyker/Chaplain-Kombo.

As I know, there are no other Chapters which use the Space Wolves Geneseed, so the White Scars (the thing with the Hunt) would fit nice, or again the Raven Guard.

Plus: I could use ALL the Space Wolves Minfigs. biggrin.png

4. Shields of Ultramar

(or another name)

Nooooow … it's getting a bit complex and I excuse myself in advance, for any confusion.

After thinking about the Bears and Ravens and Wolves, I wondered wether this is the right way at all. So a more or less complete alternative Idea came to my Mind: Why not create a "regular" Chapter and just use the Animal-Totems and Characteristics as a "hidden template" for the Chapter, or even Parts of the Chapter like single Companies, or the Priesthood or even single Characters? That would make it easier to initially create a Chapter that really fits into the 40k Universe, but would give me Options to design and structure Things within this chapter more detailed.

So I came up with the "Shields of Ultramar", an Ultramarines Successor. The Closeness to the Ultramarines would be also be a good Reason, why the Chapter is so keen on fighting the Tyranids. And I like the Name "Shields of Ultramar". I like Shields (which dates back to a great Earthdawn Legend, which I might retell sometime). They also have that defensive Aspect of the Bears, but are more "classic" War and Warhammer 40k Invetory. Also Shields look great on Space Marines and Terminators. So I would make the Marines Masters in the use of Shields as well as Protectors as a whole Chapter, which fit well to the Ultramarines Background.

On the other Hand: Most 40k Chapters, especially the awesome ones, have a very strong own Identity, Werewolf-Vikings, Baroque-Vampires and Cannibalistic Skullheads. So this is already part of the Lore, and – as I also assume – of the Attraction of Warhammer.

Plus: I could use all of the Ultramarines Minifigs (which is quite a big plus), and maybe even some Stuff from the other Chapters, if – for example – one Company would be Called "Uthars Bears" or a Chaplain would be "Hunrock, the Ghost Raven". smile.png

Regarding all four Options

I know that the Spirit Bears are the most "fleshed out" Idea, that's because, I already used them for my first Story, which is more than 4 years old now. Don't let that missguide you. By now I more or less like all of the four ideas pretty much the same. Thats the reason why I put them here. biggrin.png

And I know that currently all four options are more or less "bright knights with a pagan touch" by now. They all still lack a "Dark Side". I have a few Ideas for that already but I'm going to explore that further after I choose the Chapter to be it. Just wanted to let you know, that I'm aware of that.

All in all ...

Sooo ... any kind of Feedback is heartly welcome. Wether you like something about one or the other Chapter-Idea, or you dislike them all, or you have some more Ideas. If I were to ask a question, I would ask, which one sounds (most) interesting to you.

Anyways: A thousand Thank-yous in advance, from my Hearts Heart!

P.S.: Uhm, I just realized how lengthly this has gotten. So another thank your for working yourself through all of this!

Very nice start, some good ideas.

What stood out to me? Personally, I liked the idea of a more primitive styled - but still with the more humanist attitude - Salamanders Successor, (maybe a North Native American feel?) not something I've seen done before, which is always a huge plus!

A lot of the above ideas could work together though. For example, the name 'Shields of...............' or '........... Shields' could work very well for a Salamander descended Chapter, nicely fitting with their outlook of protecting Humanity.

I think the animal totems as Chapter names are all ok, but possibly overused in DIYs. Maybe you could make it more interesting by making each member of the Chapter 'find' his own spirit totem (that could be any animal) as part of his ascension from neophyte to full Brother, each having something that fits for their own personality rather than picking one for the whole Chapter that forces you into a particular combat doctrine.

My only comment on the Nids is to remember that your Chapter will not have been Founded to fight them, as the most recent Founding happened hundreds of years prior to the appearance of Hive Fleet Behemoth. However, if you want to focus solely on them as your enemy, 26th Founding still makes most sense though as you not having to explain away however many millennia the Chapter has spent not doing much waiting for the nids!

Reasons for enmity? Could be simply that the forest world they settled on happens to be out on the eastern fringe, somewhere between the paths taken by Behemoth and then Kraken. Or slightly further away so that they might have sent some forces to assist in the 2nd Tyrannic War (Kraken) but now they're smack bang in the middle of the circle formed where the many tendrils of Hive Fleet Leviathan are starting to attack from under the galactic plain?

@LySiMachus: Thanks a lot for the superfast Feedback! The own Spirit Totem is a great Idea, especially if I would go closer to Northamerican Natives.

Making them a Salamanders Successor, would also fit pretty well in my current Interessts. I really underestimated them all those years. Plus: My "infantry with close combat and heavy weapons" Approach would also fit nicely.

Regarding the Nids: Yeah! I read about the "problem of the tyranid hunter founding" in the DIY-Guides, and accdoringly didn't plan to have them founded as Tyranid-Hunters. But you're totally right … I still need an answer, why they are focused on Nids now. Maybe I'll even just don't focus the whole Chapter on Nids, but only a Captain and a Chapter or so.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and help! It's really encouraging!

Very interesting read. I like the Sprit Bears the best in terms of fluff. I am not too keen on the name though. 

A lot of the above ideas could work together though. For example, the name 'Shields of...............' or '........... Shields' could work very well for a Salamander descended Chapter, nicely fitting with their outlook of protecting Humanity.

I think the animal totems as Chapter names are all ok, but possibly overused in DIYs. Maybe you could make it more interesting by making each member of the Chapter 'find' his own spirit totem (that could be any animal) as part of his ascension from neophyte to full Brother, each having something that fits for their own personality rather than picking one for the whole Chapter that forces you into a particular combat doctrine.

My only comment on the Nids is to remember that your Chapter will not have been Founded to fight them, as the most recent Founding happened hundreds of years prior to the appearance of Hive Fleet Behemoth. However, if you want to focus solely on them as your enemy, 26th Founding still makes most sense though as you not having to explain away however many millennia the Chapter has spent not doing much waiting for the nids!
Reasons for enmity? Could be simply that the forest world they settled on happens to be out on the eastern fringe, somewhere between the paths taken by Behemoth and then Kraken. Or slightly further away so that they might have sent some forces to assist in the 2nd Tyrannic War (Kraken) but now they're smack bang in the middle of the circle formed where the many tendrils of Hive Fleet Leviathan are starting to attack from under the galactic plain?

Everything said here I support 100%. 

@Sun Reaver:

Very interesting read. I like the Sprit Bears the best in terms of fluff. I am not too keen on the name though.

Thanks a lot! Of course I've been thinking about LYSiMachus Feedback during the last days, and the more I think about it, the more I like the "Shields of ..." or "... Shields" Name, and the Salamanders as Geneseed. So I think, I'm going to stick with this, and add a few pagan/native american indian/celtic/nordic Elements. Already ordered some Books on Native American Indians and did some Research especially on War- and Face-Paint. I think, that could lead to some really nice Minifigs. Although I'm not yet sure, wether I can really create plausible Characters with that background for my Stories.

Little Update: I decided to make them Salamanders successor and take "Thousand Shields" as a Chapter Name. That has a nice humble touch. "Thousand" is more or less a prosaic description. It doesnt contain any honourfull, colourfull or spectacular Connotations. It's just a plain description. "Were are thousand Spaces Marines, and everyone's a Shield to protect Imperial Lifes." Yeah. That Humbleness fits well to my Idea of the Chapter being stoic, silent and carefull planers.

Plus: It's a great Image: On the Battlefield, a Wall of 1000 Shields, each one held up by a Hero of Mankind.

Surplus: I looooove the closeness to the "Thousand Sons", which are actually the only Chaos-Legion, I am interested in. Although I don't plan to use the connection any time soon, it is a nice Hook that could be use later on. biggrin.png

On the Salamander-Susccessor-Thing I do have a Question regarding DIYing: All the Wikis say, that there are no know Salamanders Successors. Should I also keep it that way and say that "They are likely to be a Salamanders Successor", but don't know the Origins for sure?

Or would it be okay to let them know their Progenitor, and maybe even have Contact with them?

To give some more detail: I would like to make their Homeworld an Agri World. And as Nocturne is a Death World the Salamanders would need someplace to get Food and Lifestock from. So the Homeworld of the Thousand Shields could be delivering those supplies to the Salamanders, and in return get Minerals and Ores, which are rare on their own homeworld …

Nice, Thousand Shields is an awesome name, simple but evocative.

Sallie Successors can work. There aren't any 2nd Founding ones because the Legion was so badly mauled at Istvaan. Later Foundings it's just 'unknown' so most agree that means it's entirely possible. The Black Dragons and Storm Giants are also mentioned in official fluff as potential Successors.

I'm not completely sure about living on an Agri world, often they're not considered harsh enough environments for raising potential Astartes. However, I'm sure it could be worked around.

As to trading, that makes plenty of sense but I don't know if I'd name-drop the Sallies back in, perhaps make it that they have trade deals with the local Forgeworld (or even just a nearby Hive world known for it's numerous manufactoriums - and poisonous environment!)

@LySiMachis: Thanks for the Help!

I know, that an Agriworld is not an easy Choice for a Homeworld, but I think it could work. I already have some Ideas to make the Homeworld good enough for Astartes: Regular Ork Attacks, which force the Farmers to be able to defend themselves at almost anytime. Physical strength as a general Virtue and Wrestling as a planetwide traditional Sport. Already boys earn skills in sharpshootering for really small targets like rats and rabbits. And lots of good pilots are needed too, to cover the great distances between the farmsteads and villages, effectivly. Also: As Metals and Minerals are very rare, blacksmithing is still  a virtue and an as important part of culture as on Nocturne, because everything made of metal is extremly valuable on the Thousand Shields Homeworld. And: Just like the Salamanders, the Thousand Shields still take part in the public life of their Homeworld, which alows them to oberve promisiong boys pretty early and more closely than other chapters. And finally … the Thousand Shield are known as a Chapter, that plans their Actions very well, and when they get into fighting, they prefer a defensive style: Choosing the Ground, preparing the Battlefield to their advantage, and – of course – making heavy use of Shields. All of that would lead to fewer Casualties among the Marines, which again would lead to a smaller Need in Recruits.

I don't see any problem with a Chapter having an agri-world as its home. After all, the Crimson Fists are based on Rynn's World, which is an agri-world. Perhaps importantly, Rynn's World is not the only planet the Crimson Fists recruit from - they take recruits from several nearby feral worlds. And therein, a balance is provided. 

There are many reasons why a Chapter might wish to be based on an agri-world - perhaps they wish to be reminded of the heart of the Imperium - the very citizens they lay down their lives to protect. There may be some other reason. But a Chapter need not be based on a world where everything is death! 

@commisar Molotov: Thanks for the Help! I put the Novel "Rynn's World" on my Reading List and keep the other advices in my mind!

Rynn's World is an agri-world in the possession of a Chapter (sort of, it has its own mortal Governor, as opposed to it traditionally being the Chapter Master), but it makes the point that the Chapter recruits from nearby feral worlds, and not from the agri-world.

The thing about agri-worlds is that they have very low populations. Imagine the nearest agricultural area near you. I'm in one of the world's bread baskets here in Cali, so maybe for you that's easier said than done. But you can see how spaced out everyone is. You could fit thousands where you might only find five, if you compare similar space in a city like NYC.

40k exaggerates both those figures. Hive Worlds would boost that thousand to tens of thousands, and spread this out even further until you have populations that straight dwarf modern day Earth's by whole magnitudes.

Agri-worlds are the same. Large land to the few. Only now you got one guy, patriarch to his extended family, who is in charge of a plot of land that would dwarf most of our countries. You have worlds with populations in the thousands. It simply isn't a population that could feasibly support a Chapter in recruits.

Which means if you want to do it anyways, you got an uphill battle ahead of you to convince us of it.

I think the simplest solution is to turn this world into a feudal one, with the population concentrating upon agricultural ways of life. It's not an agri-world, which is an entire planet dedicated solely to providing sustenance to whole other systems. But it does have the potential for the needed population boost, as well as infer a state of life that would include that basic struggle for survival needed in a good recruit stock.

I don't know Conn, now that I think it through a bit more it could work.

Some maths:

Even if an Agri-world with the same land mass of our Earth was 99.99% covered in farmland purely used for off-world distribution, there would still be just under 1.5 million sq km left over for people to live on.

If you assume 1 person needs approx 2 acres to survive (just picked this figure off the net but it sounds reasonable!), that 0.01% of left over land mass could support a population of over 368 million, which should be plenty for Astartes recruitment.

So you could have city/Hive areas to recruit from (so gang members or possibly even Ultramarines style Battle Academies) or...

...you could say the 0.01% is made up of the few more inhospitable areas that it's not worth turning into farmland (mountainous, deserts, dense forest, smaller islands, etc) and have 'indigenous' or pre-Imperial tribes who live in these areas and who make for excellent neophytes. This might fit nicely if Filius still wants the Native American/Nordic tribe feel to his Chapter.

I think indigenous people living on land unsuited for mass agriculture could work. I would see issues with it being an advanced society that might make trouble. Hives tend to be terrible for the environment, but even feudal societies might make problems if they are expansionistic and warlike. Agri-worlds are simply of too much importance to allow any kind of threat to them, but I withdraw my concern.

Thanks everyone, for helping. I think, I'll stick with the Agri World, as well as Aspects of Native American People (but as well Aspects of other Nomad Cultures like Mongols, which). Sooo … the Idea goes like that: The Homeworld of the Thousand Shields ist the biggest and most Important Agri World, with a Sector called "The green Belt", that contains more Agri Worlds than usual Sectors. The Thousand Shields were initially founded to defend the Green Belt.

The Homeworld is a good bit larger than Earth, which would firstly add more Land Mass and more population and secondly add a Gravity similar to Nocturne. That in return makes the People of the Homeworld e bit bigger and stronger than regular 1G Worlds. The whole Sector is a constant target of Orc Bands (haven't researched on them too much yet), and as Settelments on Agri World are far away from each other, more or less everyone has good basic Scills in Selfdefence and made some experiences with Orks.

But most importantly, within the society on the Homeworld Strength ist the Main Virtue. Although the Homeworld is as technologically advanced as an Agri World can be, there's still very much physical work to be done. Especiall within Cattle Herding. immensive Herds of Cattles/Bisons/Deers roam the Landscapes that don't suite for Farming, and Shepherds/Cowboys follow them all the year, staying a lot outside, living under the sky, with and from the Herds, taking care of them. Here's great room for a more nomadic Culture, with Aspects of native american Indians, or Mongolians or siberian Reindeerherds. And with the high Gravity all animals are also stronger than regular Cattle, so your really got to be strong guy to catch and wrestle with any of them. But Strenght is also a virtue in the non-professional Aspects of the Culture. Most famous "Sport" is Wrestling, just like in the Mongolian Culture.

I also think of the Thousand Shield as a quite old Chapter, maybe a few thousand years. That would allow for them to be a "natural" Part of the Planets cultural Identity. The People on this Agri World are proud that the Recruits for a Chapter of the Astartes come from their ranks, and being selected for Recruitement is one of the biggest Honours, almost every boys dreams of, and many boys train for. Especially as they serve as Defenders of Planets like their own. Or to use a proverb I heard in some movie: It's not what you fight against, but what you fight for, that makes the Size of a Warrior.

I also like the Idea of Battle Academies. Like their Progenitors, the Salamanders, the Thousand Shields are active Parts in the Culture of their Homeworld. A Battle Academy would fit great, also to the fact, that they have a more intellectual, reasonable Approach to War: The general Character of the Chapter and it's Combat Doctrine is looking more for strategists, strong minded defenders, than berserkes in a blood rush. They tend to think of Warfare as sowing and reaping. You carefully sow your defense strategy and positions and then reap the Enemies like the wheat.

Aaaand finally: As they are more defensive than other Chapters I think, they'll just don't loose as many Marines in Service as other Chapters, which will lead to a smaller Need. That would also fit well to my – yet unmentioned Idea – that there are more "old men" in the Chapter, than in regular Chapters. I like the Idea of them being a Band of "old Warhorses", with a few "young Stallions". biggrin.png

Is that convincing enough?

I'm already writing my IA, and will elaborate all those point more soon.

Nice work so far Filius. Great name choice, I agree that some civilisation on the home planet is preferable; your marines need to shield something worthwhile after all, however humble! However, the Ork raids may need some extra thought - unless the Shields purposely allow monsters through for the greater good of future recruitment...

They tend to think of Warfare as sowing and reaping. You carefully sow your defense strategy and positions and then reap the Enemies like the wheat.

I think I see a battle cry developing!

@Tian Shan: Thanks a lot! I'm still suprised how encouraging positive Feedback is. I mean … I'm a grown man, by now, turning 40 in a few weeks, but still … Friendly Feedback like this makes me feel like being back in School again and brinnging home a really good Grade. biggrin.png

You're right, I haven't given the Ork-Thing too much thought until now. I'll think about that again.

Regarding the Battlecry: Ah! Right! Thanks for opening my Eyes! Hasn't there been a Rage against the Machine Song, making use of the Bible Quote … (doing some googleing) … right "Wake Up".

Niiice: "How long? Not long! Because what you reap is what you sow!" biggrin.png

You can even make that a dialogical Battlecry:

Captain: "How long?"

Company: "Not long!"

Captain: "'Cause what you reap …"

Company: "… is what you sow!"

• 3 months later...

A tiny Update:

After 4 Months of thinking and reading (and even writing), I've come to the conclusion, that all my Ideas are always so close to the Space Wolves, that it's more honest and clean to just stick to the Original. So I'll keept DIY-ing, but I'll create a Great Company within the Space Wolves instead of an own Chapter.

For anyone who might be interested to know why (and for myself) here are the Reasons:

• I really dislike almost everything about the Codex Astartes. From the Organisation of the Companies to the fixed Color-Schemes and the Battle Tactics by the Book: The whole Idea is so anti-creative, that the anarchic and archaic Wolves are a really refreshing opposite. I know, that I could have come up with a DIY-Chapter, that ignores the Codex, but it makes things harder to get a plausible Chapter.
  • I always preferred the bearded, feral, tribal Type of Warriors, and the "Do you know that while you are shavin and polishing your armor, we fight?" Attitude. And theres already a Chapter that has all that.
  • The Codex seems to suite my preferrences much better, than all the other Codizes.
  • Finally: Being part of a Community of Players which collect and play the same Chapter … is really really motivating.

The last point doesn't mean that I felt left alone with DIYing an own Chapter. In case the Opposite is true: I was overwhelmed who helpfull and constructive everyone in the Liber is. This is really a great place to be. I whish somehting like this had existed, when I was a Teenager. So a big thank you to everyone from the Liber for all the Help!

Far be it from us to pooh-pooh your decision brother - this is your own force we are talking about. If you feel that making them a Space Wolf Great Company would better serve than attempt a DIY Chapter that's an ersatz Space Wolves, then it's a perfectly valid choice. If you do end up needing further advice, then our door is always open - however, I think for the immediate future the SW community and the residing Mods there will likely be of greater use to you. Good luck. :)

Far be it from us to pooh-pooh your decision brother - this is your own force we are talking about. If you feel that making them a Space Wolf Great Company would better serve than attempt a DIY Chapter that's an ersatz Space Wolves, then it's a perfectly valid choice. If you do end up needing further advice, then our door is always open - however, I think for the immediate future the SW community and the residing Mods there will likely be of greater use to you. Good luck. smile.png

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I think, sooner or later I'll be back around here ...

As Olis said, it's totally your call. I wouldn't give up on the idea of a more feral Successor to a more straight laced progenitor, though. In official fluff you have examples such as Ultramarines > Mortifactors, or Imperial Fists > Executioners. If I can also humbly put it forward as a DIY example, check out my IA: Marines Adamant (link in sig) who are Iron Hands Successors but are decidedly feral/clannish/superstitious.

As I said, it's up to you, but the idea of tribal Sallies with a Native American flavour was awesome and quite unique.

Edit: and you could certainly still play them with C:SW if you like the rules better?

I wouldn't give up on the idea of a more feral Successor to a more straight laced progenitor, though. In official fluff you have examples such as Ultramarines > Mortifactors, or Imperial Fists > Executioners.  As I said, it's up to you, but the idea of tribal Sallies with a Native American flavour was awesome and quite unique.

Edit: and you could certainly still play them with C:SW if you like the rules better?

Ahh man  ... you're giving me a hard time! Thank you so much for the inspiring feedback and motivation! You guys really make the liber the most comfy place of 40k.

By the way … In the meantime I found a Chapter inspired by native american Culture, the Bear Claws, over at Dakkadakka.

And, and: Sure, I'll dive into the Marines Adamant. Thanks for the Hint!

As I said, it's up to you, but the idea of tribal Sallies with a Native American flavour was awesome and quite unique.

At least the Building has begun. Tomorrow the Minis will get primed, and then, I'll test some color schemes. One for the Wolves and one for the Thousand Shields. Until then, I'll keep thinking about an own chapter … :D

• 5 months later...

A little Update around here. I just finished reading "A Thousand Sons" and am not so fond of the Space Wolves anymore. Although the Meta-Fluff and the People never stop telling you, that the Space Wolves are savage Barbarians, I kind of managed to forget about that. To "see" them really act like the Barbarians they were in all the Stories, is kinda eyes opening. So … my Mind moves around an own chapter again, hehe.

Luckily, I paused working on the Minis und Stories during the Summer.

Keep in mind that this novel depicts the Thousand Sons point of view. If you read Prosperro Burns or Battle of the Fang or any other Vlka Fenryka novel and you will see that there is a difference between mindless barbarians and noble, axe swinging, freakin' owning vikings. ;)

Archived